• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Windam

Scaley member
Being a York student is great. Attending one of the world's leading educational institutions is a privilege, and I am proud to say that I have not been to class since March 2nd, getting absolutely nothing out of the tuition I paid, thanks to our administration.

Some1 give me the $280 needed to apply to McMaster (...again...) through OUAC. Why the fuck I didn't go there in the first place is a mystery to me. Guess I really am stoopid.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
3c2ZyrV.jpg

Photo of the Day.
ie; What I see on my Twitter feed, or Reddit.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You're channeling Kave. :O
But he triggered me... :(
Being a York student is great. Attending one of the world's leading educational institutions is a privilege, and I am proud to say that I have not been to class since March 2nd, getting absolutely nothing out of the tuition I paid, thanks to our administration.

Some1 give me the $280 needed to apply to McMaster (...again...) through OUAC. Why the fuck I didn't go there in the first place is a mystery to me. Guess I really am stoopid.
That sarcasm..! It's too much...! D:

I got a 'scholarship' from them long ago and I had applied because I wanted to do the concurrent B.Ed program.

Every year I was at UofT back then, York had a strike.
So it looks like April 17th is winning out. Speak now if you have issues with the date.
We got a few birthdays around there too.
I demand to have the box raffle rigged in my favour

My other Physics/Math classes resume, but my labs haven't (the labs are separate courses). What this means is if the strike goes on, I'll finish most my courses in May but I'll have to come back in the summer to finish my labs. It's so bullshit :/

I haven't been to school though, studying from home is always what I preferred and all my profs are now sending lecture notes to me :p

I'm also thinking about moving back to Hamilton for grad school xD

^^ UofT has a strike as well. As does UBC. I also think Laurier and Brock are also about to strike? There's also a Québec province-wide student strike on Monday. Strikes for everybody!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kingyo (aka the Japanese Izakaya with the pachinko machines)
51B Winchester Street, Toronto, ON, M4X 1R7

So, wife and I wanted to try a new place tonight and we ended up going to Kingyo, which is a Japanese Izakaya that is located in Cabbagetown and also conveniently close to Zakkushi if things didn't work out.

When we got there, the place looked about half empty, yet we still couldn't get a table and had to be seated at the bar. I was pretty amazed at how spacious at was and still a bit annoyed at all the empty tables that we couldn't sit at, but what really drew my eye were all these pachinko machines on the wall. They looked like you couldn't play them as they were pretty awkwardly positioned, but if you go to the washroom area, they have two machines there for free play if you want to try it out.

The service was pretty amazing and even better than Zakkushi. We were seated quickly at the bar and a waiter came by about 5 mins later to get our order. I didn't feel like drinking tonight (no Leafs game), so we just go tea and water along with a host of food to try and get a feel for the place. I'm glad to note here that we didn't have to ask for refills as the waiters constantly came by to apologize for the food taking so long (apparently, it's a thing they do to everything) and also refilled the tea and water as well.

First dish was the the shrimp
While it looks like your average battered shrimp, what I liked most about it was the mayo that went along with it. There was a hint of horseradish in it and I felt it really added to the overall flavour and made it something special instead of just battered shrimp.

Second dish was the hot pot
Greens, pork, miso paste, and other good stuff was part of this concoction. The waiters said that we didn't have to worry about cooking it and they went out of their way to make sure it was cooked nicely in front of us by checking in and periodically stirring it. When it was ready, they even spooned out portions for us as well. It was really tasty and filling and I liked how everything came together. The soup wasn't overbearing and the veggies and meat were just the right proportions to make it a really hearty dish.

Third dish was kara age
There isn't really much to be said about it. I didn't find it too outstanding and it was your average kara age; though I will say the pieces were pretty big. The chicken was juicy on the inside and the salt really enhanced the overall flavour. Still, if you've had kara age before, this isn't going to be something different.

Fourth dish was thinly sliced cow tongue cooked on a hot rock
With a bit of lemon and that sides there, my wife really liked this dish. I thought it was also pretty amazing because the sauce there really kicked up the subtlety of the tongue and if you don't tell someone it's tongue, you would never know the difference.

Fifth dish was the pork belly
This was also really good and I loved how tender and juicy it was inside when I cut into it. While I did find myself missing the bit of crackle you get with a good piece of pork belly, the tenderness along with the nice rich little sauce they had the pork belly swimming in was incredible and I wish I could've had more.

Sixth dish was the blowtorched tuna sushi
Goddamn, I don't think there was ever a better match in culinary cuisine than taking a blowtorch and lightly searing a good piece of tuna belly. When places do this, the smell is simply heavenly, and since smell plays a big part in taste, your mouth starts to water before you even take a bite. While this wasn't like an orgasmic experience like the aburi sushi at JaBistro, it definitely reminded me of it and it was a bit more delicate in flavour than the in-your-face hammer of flavours you get at JaBistro. I'd definitely order this again if I were to go back.

The last two dishes were dessert: a green tea creme brulee and green tea and black sesame ice cream.
While my wife really liked her green tea and black sesame ice cream, she couldn't stop taking pieces of my creme brulee and said she couldn't think of a better dessert. The caramelized crust on my creme brulee burst with flavour and it really suited the mildness of the green tea. Every bite was an intensity followed by that green tea smoothness. Again, the ice cream wasn't bad either, but my wife had it plenty of times before so it wasn't anything particularly special for her.

Total including tip was about 115.

Kingyo (aka the Japanese Izakaya with the pachinko machines)
51B Winchester Street, Toronto, ON, M4X 1R7

The last two dishes were dessert: a green tea creme brulee and green tea and black sesame ice cream.

Ah the green tea creme brulee. I only had it once, I forgot where in the city, but it was really good.

EDIT: I cornered it down to a ramen place. I had green tea creme brulee at a ramen place for desert and was surprised at how good it was.

Anony

kuro is too rich for me

new rule guys, if you're gonna go somewhere to eat and post pics, take a picture of the menu as well

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I like the idea of the green tea brulee, did they explain why you couldn't sit on tables or why it took long?
My guess is reaervations but they never said. I will add that by the time we were done, there were tables still available.....so if you do go, I guess make a reservation beforehand perhaps.
kuro is too rich for me

new rule guys, if you're gonna go somewhere to eat and post pics, take a picture of the menu as well
Menu is online though :(
And I don't spend as much money on games nowadays. Monster Hunter has stolen my soul.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That bridge in Hamilton is terrifying to drive on when it's really windy

Also this Uncle Tetsu cheesecake was pretty good, but not really worth the crazy hype

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That bridge in Hamilton is terrifying to drive on when it's really windy

Also this Uncle Tetsu cheesecake was pretty good, but not really worth the crazy hype
Ah I'm glad someone here got a chance to try it. I only heard about it...

Is it at least as good as Cheescake Factory?

My wife likes the Le Cafe Michi, Carole's Cheesecake, and Andrea's Bakery cheesecakes this far.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ah I'm glad someone here got a chance to try it. I only heard about it...

Is it at least as good as Cheescake Factory?

My wife likes the Le Cafe Michi, Carole's Cheesecake, and Andrea's Bakery cheesecakes this far.

It's not anything like regular cheesecake. I can't even compare at all.

It's closer to a cheesey spongecake than anything else. Very light and fluffy and not overly sweet. It's very good, but I wouldn't line up for an hour for it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's not anything like regular cheesecake. I can't even compare at all.

It's closer to a cheesey spongecake than anything else. Very light and fluffy and not overly sweet. It's very good, but I wouldn't line up for an hour for it.
Ah yes. Then I've had something similar.

Line ups can be so deceiving though. Sometimes it's worth it and other times you see Japanese people lining up for fucking caramel popcorn.

It's free on New Years. I like to utilize that. :p

I haven't been to Paris, but I've been to London and if the traffic is anything like that, then I'm happy to be in Toronto xD

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Huh
http://www.riverdaler.ca/2015/dangerous-dans-for-sale/
I didn't know Dangerous Dan's was for sale. Better get your heart attack burgers now, Kraftwerk.

Also went to this tiny sandwich shop near Broadview called Sully's. Holy hell was I impressed with the sandwich I got there, the po boy shrimpy sandwich. It didn't sound too amazing (tempura batter shrimp with coleslaw and mayo and an aioli sauce) but I'll be damned if it didn't all come together fantastically. I was actually full before I had the sandwich from brunch at Lady Marmalade and was planning on just having a bite and putting it away, but I finished it; it was THAT good.

Willectro

Banned
Maybe Toronto will follo- I can't even finish that sentence without laughing. It'll never happen.

Not today:

V1wUzmy.png

How do you fuck up that bad? At a minimum they need to start introducing prorated transit pass refunds. Anyone riding this morning should be for free with the amount of the system out of service.

It's 2015 and we're still using coins and scratch cards.

MOTHERFUCKING scratch cards

Lol, Toronto is the only city where I've seen tokens being used for public transit fares. Kinda crazy in an age where I can browse the internet on my phone. I can't even pay for fares with my credit card (there's a $10 charge minimum)!!!

Stet

Banned
what gets me about the TTC is all the weekends they just shut down a full line for scheduled maintenance.

on the weekends. when tourists are around.

can you imagine going to new york city and finding out that 1/4 of the subway is out of service for your whole visit?

Willectro

Banned
what gets me about the TTC is all the weekends they just shut down a full line for scheduled maintenance.

on the weekends. when tourists are around.

can you imagine going to new york city and finding out that 1/4 of the subway is out of service for your whole visit?

Yea, really. At least some of the lines in New York have some form of redundancy. All we have is one jam-packed bus every 10 minutes.

Sober

"Now you see here, tourists to Toronto are all them fancy rich folk, like whites and possibly them orientals, that we prefer to have about in our city. The TTC, as I have come to realize, is for the dirty locals to get them about to where they are going. But these tourists? If they have the money to come to Toronto, they should be spending their money in the city and using taxis or them fancier taxis to get around. Or walk if they want to get that local colour; not that I would recommend that unless you feel particularly adventurous. But certainly not with the subway. Even I don't ride that. Even I have my limits."

Stet

Banned
Welp didn't read that the parts of line 1 I need would be closed today rip

SEE?

why the hell can't we pay overtime and get some graveyard shifters? for that matter, why is the queen's quay revitalization STILL GOING ON WITH NO PROGRESS?

Top Bottom