• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Mr. Tonkatsu

520 Bloor Street W
Toronto, ON M5S 1Y3
The Annex

Corner of Bathurst and Bloor

Service
They seemed a bit disorganized all things considered. The waitress also doubled as host and helped with the prep so I had to wait quite a bit for my bottled beer and she then forgot my wife's tea. My wife had to ask for it again after we got our food.

Food
At least this part was good! My wife got the cheese tonkatsu and I got the tonkatsu sampler. Her cheese tonkatsu was excellent and the mozzarella really raises it to another level with the slightly savoury and salty taste to complement the crunchiness of the panko. My sampler was also very good and I wish I had room for more because the panko had a very satisfying crunch to it and the meat wasn't overly dry and tough like some other places I've had it at. We also had the kara age and it was also very tasty and the chicken was surprisingly juicy as well.

Overall
We paid about 45 including tip though obviously it would be less without the beer. Definitely a thumbs up, worth a try if you want to have something different, and I will absolutely come back there again.

Oh god that looks so fucking good.

Rinoa

what's with all the hype around uncle tetsu
there's always a long line for it
is it really THAT good?

I'm fine with my jp cheesecakes from hong kong island bakery for now. Patiently waiting for the hipsters who have nothing to do but line up for food dissapear from old man tetsu before I bother.

Rinoa

45 minutes

tumblr_le98c2P2Bw1qzjix8.gif

45mins too long

yikes
http://www.cp24.com/news/air-canada...toronto-skids-off-runway-in-halifax-1.2302715

Nature is finally taking its sweatpants (winter) off. It will be beautiful again *_*

York U reached a tentative deal with the union, and it's actually a very good deal :eek: UofT better watch out for poaching.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I should give Poutini's another shot. The one time I went there and just got a traditional poutine, I was super unimpressed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My guess is it'll be crappy yet still sell out.
God I just want a good excuse to get the BBQ out. Apparently it's 13 degrees on Thursday according to the Weather Network? Chance of rain, but fuck it we could use the rain as well I guess
I was with you until the rain part...
I only seem to have poutine when I'm super drunk but poutinis is usually what I like.
Drunk from....? Catnip?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I counted today and there are literally eleven bubble tea places on yonge between FInch and Northtown way. That's three blocks on one road.

How does this neighbourhood sustain this???

Quick

Banned
I counted today and there are literally eleven bubble tea places on yonge between FInch and Northtown way. That's three blocks on one road.

The real competition: which one closes first?

I wish I had one near me.

Sober

What you didn't get the pamphlet that talks about how all the generic asians that go there have to rotate through them all depending on the day of the week?

Quadratic

As long as Chatime remains it's all that matters to me.

My 2nd go to is Formocha. I guess it spreads out the people wanting bubble tea. That stretch of Yonge St. is a mess of condos. Haven't been in the neighbourhood long enough to tell how busy it gets. Of course there weren't any lines at Chatime when it was -30C in February.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Come to Leslieville and marvel at all our coffee shops.
Dundas and Carlaw
Blackout
Some Yoga Cafe place
Mad Dog Cafe
Tango
Some Actor Cafe place (artist's play or something)
3 Starbucks
2 Tim Hortons
Mercury
Bobette and Belle
Purple Penguin Coffee
First Break Coffee
Te Aro
Brickyard grounds
Flying Pony
Sideshow Cafe
Riverdale Perk
Hola Cafe
Cannonball
Darkhorse
Mountainview coffee
The remarkable bean (opened last month)

This is without me naming ones on the Danforth. Those are all within 30-40 min walk of my place.

Blackhead

Redarse
How Hong Kong's subway turns a $2 billion annual profit
CNN said:
You can find one of Hong Kong's most profitable businesses about 30 meters below the earth's surface.

The city's subway is the face of the Mass Transit Railway Corporation (MTR) -- a publicly traded company that pulled in $5.2 billion in revenue last year.

With a $2 billion annual profit, the Hong Kong's subway is an anomaly among major rail networks. New York's subway, for example, suffers from chronic funding gaps and will spend nearly $2.5 billion in 2015 to service its debt.

How does Hong Kong's train and bus network manage to clear its mind-boggling margins?
First off, this is one impressive subway system. Even with more than 5 million daily commuters, MTR trains boast a 99.9% on-time arrival rate. Fares are notoriously cheap ($.50 to $3), but cover roughly 175% of the system's operating costs.

But the company's real profits are derived from a lesser-known side of the business: property development. Some 50 major properties across Hong Kong are owned, developed or managed by MTR, including two of the city's tallest skyscrapers.

"Sometimes critics say it's a property development firm doing a side business of rail," said Tim Hau, a professor at University of Hong Kong's School of Economics and Finance.

Here's how it works: MTR enjoys a special relationship with the Hong Kong government, which is also its majority shareholder. The government provides land -- at no cost -- for use by the train operator, and MTR is then allowed to develop the areas above and around its stations.

MTR often builds shopping malls right on top of stations -- it owns 13. Last year, rents at the malls went up by an average of 14%. Below ground, each subway stop is jam-packed with retail outlets, which all pay rent to MTR or have a profit-sharing agreement in place.
You can find every kind of retail in the stations -- even Michelin-starred dim sum restaurants.

Wong Sau Lan has been managing one such restaurant, called Tim Ho Wan, for the past two years. She said the restaurant's MTR outlet, located in a subway station that serves the central business district, is twice as popular as its flagship restaurant.
For the 14 hours that Tim Ho Wan is open each day, people will, on average, wait 40 minutes for the MTR dining experience.

MTR is now exporting its model abroad. It's already been commissioned to build and run lines in China, the United Kingdom, Sweden and Australia, and more projects are in the works.

"They'll go wherever there's a profit," said Hau. "There aren't that many viable competitors in the world."
It makes sense; retail and home owner values greatly increase whenever decent publicly funded transit options are built nearby but that profit usually only goes to privately owned development and landlord companies. I wonder how much the TTC get from all those little kiosks beside the turnstiles...

Of course the main difference is proper government support; if there was political will to have a decent transit system, instead of conservatives/car lovers undercutting at every turn, it could be done

jl4855

Of course the main difference is proper government support; if there was political will to have a decent transit system, instead of conservatives/car lovers undercutting at every turn, it could be done

that and the fact that the HK metro absolutely decimates the TTC in every facet.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
A good funding model helps with that. TTC ain't got that.
I'm of the belief funding won't help shit at this point.

Part of the reason is due to the tight spaces in HK and Tokyo which pretty much demands people use the transit if they want to get anywhere on time since all those cars will result in more traffic jams.

The other part of the reason is that North Americans love their cars. It represents freedom and being grown up to certain people.

Another piece is the union. I simply do not trust them not to demand a bigger piece of the pie in place of structural and service upgrades.

The final piece I would argue is the political climate. Fuck our politicians. They should get this shit out of politics and let people who know about mass and urban transit make the decisions instead of politicizing it and having a goddamn subway for little reason (Sheppard line and this POS Scarbourgh line)

that and the fact that the HK metro absolutely decimates the TTC in every facet.

It probably has at least something to do with HK having 7 million people, and Toronto+Mississauga (similar area size) having 3 million people :p

Tokyo has a 33 million population in its urban area. All of Canada has 35 million people.

Toronto will always lose out to Asian megacities, we probably need to compare ourselves to Chicago or Madrid, or maybe another city of similar size which experienced its main growth in the post-war era.

By compare I mean emulate. Toronto's transit is still woeful no matter its history. But there probably isn't much for a small city like Toronto to learn from a massive city like Tokyo.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You can compare the system to Tokyo just based on how well it's run, the automation of the system, how clean it is and things like that. What you can't do is ask why we don't have a dozen subway lines at every major station.

Just because we're smaller than the major Asian cities, doesn't mean we have to be a complete shithole for transit. As can be seen in Europe (as YAV notes ^), you can have 'smaller' cities and still have good systems.

And on the topic of funding, yeah, we are screwed because of our lack of it. But like Kuro points out, there's a good chance that even if the TTC had it, they would just piss it away. I'd rather see what they actually do with funding, but it needs to be accompanied by a change in attitude as well. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming when it came to stop announcements on buses, PRESTO, making stations accessible, etc.

On the topic of comparisons to small European cities, am I weird for not wanting too much transit or high density? xD I think Toronto should aim to emulate cities like Amsterdam or Copenhagen; medium-density and biking/walking focused cities. Transit focused cities such as London or Paris scare me away. They usually have very high noise and air pollution.

Being to London and Amsterdam, I can summarize the transit situation as follows.

London, very noisy and air pollution worse than Toronto. Bumper-to-bumper traffic despite modern transit system.. The transit was very modern but I personally didn't enjoy being on it, it was very crowded and unpleasant to be on. If I were a Londoner, you'd find me in the suburbs.

Amsterdam, very peaceful and beautiful. Streets are naturally pleasant places to be. Not much traffic, almost everyone is a biker or pedestrian. Not sure about the transit system (they definitely have more subway than us though) as I mostly took taxis or walked. Very clean air and there's a respect for tranquility.

I know some people are drawn to big and loud cities, but everyone has an expiry date on that. When you're older or have children (or you're not used to living in big cities), you start to be repulsed by what it has to offer >_>

Or I might be becoming a NIMBY. I'll see myself out.

*this is not an endorsment of Toronto's shit transit. We could still definitely improve.

Top Bottom