• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Okay Tdot-GAF, hotels are crazy expensive for the Easter weekend and I've got a bunch of Best Western points saved up I can spend instead of paying cash so I'm probably gonna do that. (Not the Niagara Falls night tho, that one I'll probably pay for a sweet fallsview room. Oddly enough, prices are STILL a lot cheaper than Toronto.........)

There are no BW's downtown though so I"m trying to figure out if the one they have closest isn't in a super shitty area.

Roehampton - Mt. Pleasant&Eglinton, near Eglinton Stn. (like a 10min walk from it)

Am I gonna get murdered by Quick if I go there with my Laine jersey or is that an alright area? Looks like it's 30mins on one metro line which isn't so bad. For free nights.

That area is really nice, don't worry

And go eat at Copacabana, unless you hate steak

Also, what is with all the "Boil" restaurants popping up? How many of these places does Toronto need/can support? Trendy food = copycats

Smiley90

Also, what is with all the "Boil" restaurants popping up? How many of these places does Toronto need/can support? Trendy food = copycats

Rm9uhP0.gif

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Okay Tdot-GAF, hotels are crazy expensive for the Easter weekend and I've got a bunch of Best Western points saved up I can spend instead of paying cash so I'm probably gonna do that. (Not the Niagara Falls night tho, that one I'll probably pay for a sweet fallsview room. Oddly enough, prices are STILL a lot cheaper than Toronto.........)

There are no BW's downtown though so I"m trying to figure out if the one they have closest isn't in a super shitty area.

Roehampton - Mt. Pleasant&Eglinton, near Eglinton Stn. (like a 10min walk from it)

Am I gonna get murdered by Quick if I go there with my Laine jersey or is that an alright area? Looks like it's 30mins on one metro line which isn't so bad. For free nights.

The area is completely fine and safe. Yonge & Eglinton is a pretty decent area, you'll have shopping and food nearby (mostly on Yonge St) and yeah, about 15-20 minutes to get downtown from uptown.

Smiley90

The area is completely fine and safe. Yonge & Eglinton is a pretty decent area, you'll have shopping and food nearby (mostly on Yonge St) and yeah, about 15-20 minutes to get downtown from uptown.

reservation made, thanks guys. Turns out BW points even includes taxes&fees so I'm paying a grand total of 0 dollars for 3 nights :) means I get to spend 20 bucks extra for a nice fallsview room instead!

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's a nice area Smiley - I think it's a bit longer
than a 10 min walk to Eglinton.

I also second Copacobana. The servers walk around with giant skewers of meat and bring it to the table. Several kinds of steak plus chicken and seafood but mostly steak. There's grilled pineapple with cinnamon. And a salad bar but really it's about the steak. Haven't been there in a while though.

Teksavvy sent me an email notifying me that my plan will be 18 dollars cheaper versus just being 10 dollars cheaper when they initially announced the price drops last month. Their cable plan pricing in my zip code is now very competitive with Start.ca's plans. Probably won't have to make a switch any time soon now. Good shit.

Looked it up and my DOCSIS 3.0 modem that isn't really that old is not compatible with their faster speed plans. Just gonna hold out for fiber in my area I guess.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Teksavvy sent me an email notifying me that my plan will be 18 dollars cheaper versus just being 10 dollars cheaper when they initially announced the price drops last month. Their cable plan pricing in my zip code is now very competitive with Start.ca's plans. Probably won't have to make a switch any time soon now. Good shit.

Looked it up and my DOCSIS 3.0 modem that isn't really that old is not compatible with their faster speed plans. Just gonna hold out for fiber in my area I guess.

Yeah, mine is going down a few more bucks as well, but apparently my 400GB cap service is now.. unlimited.. waaaaat.

I was in New York last week and the subway system there was... fun, to say the least. Literally, my first experience with it, stepping onto a subway car for the first time, involved quickly stepping over / dodging a large puddle of piss. The stations there are proper subterranean buildings, dark and dank and crumbling apart. It took me three days just to get comfortable with all of the various lines and not get confused or turned around, and that confusion was only aided by express trains suddenly becoming local trains, routes completely changing after certain times of day (but I'll say this: it's cool that it actually runs 24 hours!) and Google maps not even being accurate at times (it put one station on 5th avenue when it was actually on 6th, etc.).

All in all, much better than the TTC! I've been back for two days and have attempted to take the TTC twice, both times getting stuck in the subway due to sudden delays (one for a fire investigation, another for a mechanical failure). Ah, it's good to be home!

Smiley90

Smiley, when are you coming to Ontario and which Niagara hotel did you pick?

Edit - Oh, Easter

Easter and I've made refundable reservations at the Crowne Plaza and the Marriott ON the falls (since there's two marriots...)

Both cost roughly the same so I'm keeping my options. I have status with Marriott so I'm probably going with that one for free breakfast&room upgrade&late checkout

Also looked up Copacababa and it's nowhere near my hotel, did you both just mean that as a general recommendation to go?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Easter and I've made refundable reservations at the Crowne Plaza and the Marriott ON the falls (since there's two marriots...)

Both cost roughly the same so I'm keeping my options.

Also looked up Copacababa and it's nowhere near my hotel, did you both just mean that as a general recommendation to go?

There are two locations in Toronto. Just Google Copacababa Toronto and note option B. 150 Eglinton Ave E

Both cost roughly the same so I'm keeping my options. I have status with Marriott so I'm probably going with that one for free breakfast&room upgrade&late checkout

Embassy Suites usually has some pretty awesome deals, but the deals for April wouldn't be up until closer to the date

The view of the falls is pretty good

dluu13

Yup mine went down by like fifteen dollars. That's pretty decent.

Smiley90

Embassy Suites usually has some pretty awesome deals, but the deals for April wouldn't be up until closer to the date

The view of the falls is pretty good

Yeah I'll keep a view out for sales for everything, that's why I booked refundable rooms for now.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
My street was a sheet of ice this morning. I looked at my car and was glad I didn't have to scrape off all that ice.

Renewed

I was tempted to slide down the icy sidewalk back home. Not having this rain man...

I realized I forgot about Sunday so that's another option. I'm gonna look over thoughts one last time and have the thread officially updated to the result this afternoon. Why do I do this...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I was tempted to slide down the icy sidewalk back home. Not having this rain man...

I realized I forgot about Sunday so that's another option. I'm gonna look over thoughts one last time and have the thread officially updated to the result this afternoon. Why do I do this...
Nah. Just give people the illusion of choice.
This Saturday
Jan 21, 2017
Third Saturday of January 2017

dluu13

You're the boss

krae_man

I'm on a Cable 30/5 package, yeah.

Thank god I don't work today, I'm not going out in this shit goddamn.

I have 18/0.5 and it went down from $48 to $45. The 30/5 is only $47 for 200gb.

I've checked my usage and I haven't passed even 100gb over the past like 8 months so I should switch to that.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't there a law that was passed requiring them to do so...?

It's a nice idea but I don't think it's terribly accurate anyways.

Yep, it's the law now if you have a certain amount of restaurants.

Even if it's not 100% accurate it is VERY eye opening when you actually see the calories. Especially since I tend to keep track of what I eat and my calorie intake now. Some things are essentially your entire caloric for the day.

dluu13

So uhh when did all these fast food places started showing the calorie count on their menu signs?

Just noticed this too. A Second Cup lemon loaf slice about 3/4 to an inch thick is 500 calories while a slice of blueberry cheesecake is only 300 calories, somehow.

Quadratic

I got my Fido internet plan readjusted thanks to the discussion on the last few pages. The 60 unlimited down is technically only for new customers but they offered to switch me over because I would have just left for Start.ca

Entropia

No One Remembers
So uhh when did all these fast food places started showing the calorie count on their menu signs?

New law as of Jan 1, 2017 requires restaurants with over 20 locations to display nutritional information.

It's funny looking at Pizza Hut's site and it says "230-300 calories /slice"

EDIT: 20 locations

Quick

Banned
Went to KFC today and they had calories listed on each menu item. I was about to ask about this lol, I forgot that it was a law now.

Didn't notice it on the menu behind the counter at McDonald's (probably really tiny and/or I wasn't paying attention), but did notice it more prominently on their order kiosk.

Barrage

I believe you have to show calories if you have more than 20 locations. So I can still delude myself when im eating Jerk chicken.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
...you guys are surprised...?

Anything new/novel food wise will have uncivilized line ups here.

Hell, there was a line up for the poop cafe when I walked by last weekend

Top Bottom