• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

keakster

I need to find broad bean paste (doubanjiang) but don't want to go all the way to Chinatown to get it. I wish I had more Asian markets near me in the Danforth. :(

I can always find this stuff (Lee Kum Kee brand everywhere) when I'm not looking for it, funnily enough.

Not sure how far along on the Danforth you are but there is always mini-Chinatown / Chinatown East at Broadview and Gerrard, one of the places there should have it

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
T&T will have it for sure.

The falls are great if you can get there on a day with smaller crowds otherwise you're gonna be cramped in with a bunch of tourists.
I don't like how they have become super commercialized though. A bunch of places there have become totally like a carnival.

Given that I'm going Easter I'm betting there'll be tons of people :lol. But I want to overnight so hopefully I can get in before the car crowds in the morning or after they leave but who knows. I've never been and Easter is Friday AND Monday off, perfect occasion to go somewhere because I can take the least time off work.

soultron

Banned
T&T is like the premiere Canadian Chinese (and they usually have a few Japanese/Korean aisles) supermarket. That and you can try similar competitors (but that's mostly a Markham thing).

Like T&T is literally owned by Loblaws.

T&T will have it for sure.

The falls are great if you can get there on a day with smaller crowds otherwise you're gonna be cramped in with a bunch of tourists.
I don't like how they have become super commercialized though. A bunch of places there have become totally like a carnival.

Not sure how far along on the Danforth you are but there is always mini-Chinatown / Chinatown East at Broadview and Gerrard, one of the places there should have it

Thanks for all the responses! I will def try them out and look into Chinatown East, if not.

Really excited to see what I'll find even if I don't find broad bean paste, to be honest.

I haven't been to one of the meet-ups yet(I initially felt it would be strange to introduce myself as a member of this thread who had to basically lurk for 9989382983982938928 years before my account was activated(more like 6-8 months or something, but I was too lazy to get myself an account for the previous time I had spent browsing GAF)) but has a member of #TeamCold or #TeamWarm ever had an opportunity to look the opposition in the eye, and dare them to boldly proclaim their preference outloud yet? And ultimately not been slapped in a non-masculine French manner via a singular glove as a result of the aforementioned statement?

explodet

Thanks for all the responses! I will def try them out and look into Chinatown East, if not.

Really excited to see what I'll find even if I don't find broad bean paste, to be honest.
T&T is great for Asian stuff. It obviously leans Chinese but there's still a good variety. I couldn't do all my shopping there but they've got a ton of stuff other supermarkets don't.

I also like Galleria for Korean groceries, but they're a bit more expensive and really out of the way (York Mills and Don Mills, yikes).

Renewed

I haven't been to one of the meet-ups yet(I initially felt it would be strange to introduce myself as a member of this thread who had to basically lurk for 9989382983982938928 years before my account was activated(more like 6-8 months or something, but I was too lazy to get myself an account for the previous time I had spent browsing GAF)) but has a member of #TeamCold or #TeamWarm ever had an opportunity to look the opposition in the eye, and dare them to boldly proclaim their preference outloud yet? And ultimately not been slapped in a non-masculine French manner via a singular glove as a result of the aforementioned statement?

I haven't seen anyone throw down. A shame really.

What should the meetup be? For starters, probably the 28th. We could try a second round at Power Up or somewhere we haven't been, but I forgot all of those. I remember last time the first post meetup option closed at like 11PM so we bailed to Don Don.

I have an assignment to work on so I'll check back this afternoon.

Entropia

No One Remembers

What should the meetup be? For starters, probably the 28th. We could try a second round at Power Up or somewhere we haven't been, but I forgot all of those. I remember last time the first post meetup option closed at like 11PM so we bailed to Don Don.

Agreed that 2-3 weeks notice would be best.

How was Power Up? Me and some buddies tried going there back in December but they were full up aside from the actual bar area.

dluu13

Man it took me 1.5 years to get approved for posting.

28th is alright for me.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

28th would be good.

28th is alright for me.

Holy shit, this response in combination with your avatar makes too much sense right now.

Did anyone ever explain why it took so long BTW? Did they think your choice of username seemed more likely to be a random bot choice of name, than an actual human user who actively decided to combine that particular set of letters and numbers together?

I imagine that Kuro snuck by during a time of mass anime peak viewing, so there likely wasn't any background check done to preview the type of fiend they were letting in here.

lol

dluu13

Holy shit, this response in combination with your avatar makes too much sense right now.

Did anyone ever explain why it took so long BTW? Did they think your choice of username seemed more likely to be a random bot choice of name, than an actual human user who actively decided to combine that particular set of letters and numbers together?

I imagine that Kuro snuck by during a time of mass anime peak viewing, so there likely wasn't any background check done to preview the type of fiend they were letting in here.

lol

Nope, even my friend who signed up at the same time got posting privileges a couple months before I did. Maybe they had to look me up. I am dluu13 for everything online though.

Smiley90

We can do another meetup, if you can work it around Niagara Falls.

I'm pretty sure we've had a meet up around Easter.....

Right now the plan is only getting there on the 13th, driving to the Falls, staying there overnight and then possibly making my way back to the city on either the 14th or 15th. so I'd most likely be in the city 15th&16th evening. Or 17th during the day. I COULD move the falls to the end of the trip too of course if that's how it would turn out to be.

Renewed

I got my account after 2 weeks.

I'll start working on the thread tomorrow, but the 28th will be when it goes down. There's a Switch demo thing going on at 6:30-10pm so that might suck for anyone who was invited for that time, but meetup time would be 6 or 7pm.

I'm gonna have to take my brother back home (he's 12) after the Switch event in the morning then come back later on, lol

I got my account after 2 weeks.

I'll start working on the thread tomorrow, but the 28th will be when it goes down. There's a Switch demo thing going on at 6:30-10pm so that might suck for anyone who was invited for that time, but meetup time would be 6 or 7pm.

I'm gonna have to take my brother back home (he's 12) after the Switch event in the morning then come back later on, lol

So basically you expect only non-generic Asians to attend this meeting? lol

BTW, was on the Canada reddit page today, and saw the following information about Saskatchewan officially becoming the coldest province at the moment in Canada, once more.

Meadow Lake: –51.
Key Lake: –53.
Collins Bay: –51.
Uranium City: –52.
Stony Rapids: –51.
Saskatoon: –45.
Regina: –46.
Estevan: –45.
Yorkton: –44.
North Battleford: –44.
Prince Albert: –45.
Swift Current: –43.

OMG

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:lol I've taken the TTC last time. I nearly missed my flight because the metro broke down in a tunnel.

I haven't seen Niagara Falls yet! So I'm gonna rent a car from YYZ and drive down there for a night or two. Probably just one. Then drive back to the city and do some things I might've missed last time.
I guess I've gone too many times but the Falls isn't really a big draw for me.
We can do another meetup, if you can work it around Niagara Falls.

I'm pretty sure we've had a meet up around Easter.....
Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm down.

I constantly tell EM to shut up and I can't take Kraftwerk on anymore. He got super buff since the first time I met him, so if I was gonna do it, I'd have to sneak attack.

I'll throw YOU down! >:/. DEATH BY FRIED CHICKEN. To be honest, I didn't like Power Up since it was dark as hell, didn't have good seating, drinks, or games, but I can at least show up and grab a sandwich at Porchcetta and Co.

28th is alright for me.
Took me a few months, I think.

lol
Well, I have been banned several times...
Right now the plan is only getting there on the 13th, driving to the Falls, staying there overnight and then possibly making my way back to the city on either the 14th or 15th. so I'd most likely be in the city 15th&16th evening. Or 17th during the day. I COULD move the falls to the end of the trip too of course if that's how it would turn out to be.
Sounds good. Just let us know and we'll try to accommodate. After all, it's not like there are any meet ups in Vancouver :D (Hi, Tabris, if you're lurking!)
BTW, was on the Canada reddit page today, and saw the following information about Saskatchewan officially becoming the coldest province at the moment in Canada, once more.

Meadow Lake: –51.
Key Lake: –53.
Collins Bay: –51.
Uranium City: –52.
Stony Rapids: –51.
Saskatoon: –45.
Regina: –46.
Estevan: –45.
Yorkton: –44.
North Battleford: –44.
Prince Albert: –45.
Swift Current: –43.

OMG
So...Kraftwerk...you like the cold and want opportunities, right...? :D

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sure we'll be able to work it out; last time you were here we met on a Sunday. The 15th is the Saturday so that would probably work. Like Kuro said, just let us know and we'll try to set it up.

Smiley90

I'm sure we'll be able to work it out; last time you were here we met on a Sunday. The 15th is the Saturday so that would probably work. Like Kuro said, just let us know and we'll try to set it up.

How could you possibly remember that. Did I leave that much of an impression? :p

But yeah I'll let everyone know once I know more about what I'm doing, haven't booked any hotels yet

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
How could you possibly remember that. Did I leave that much of an impression? :p

But yeah I'll let everyone know once I know more about what I'm doing, haven't booked any hotels yet

I don't know, lol. I just remember it was a Sunday, Quick showed up and the comment about Kave.

Smiley90

Hmmm. I don't remember if we did KFC after that. I think Smelly chickened out?

we didn't do KFC, we DID go for korean fried chicken though. I was definitely still there for that!

and the comment about Kave is what I remember best too :lol

Quick

Banned
What if he shows up in a Laine jersey?

I should get one just to mess with Quick.

giphy.gif

Weird tangent: I've accumulated nearly $30 worth of Shoppers Optimum points in a few months of buying milk, bread, and other random groceries on my local SDMs. I live near one that's open 24/7.

dluu13

Weird tangent: I've accumulated nearly $30 worth of Shoppers Optimum points in a few months of buying milk, bread, and other random groceries on my local SDMs. I live near one that's open 24/7.

I've only started to accumulate optimum points. I should have started doing that ages ago lol.

keakster

When I was in university our insurance company had us pay upfront for stuff and submit after and some of the things that were covered were also eligible for optimum points so I'd get what I needed on 20x points days and really stack them up basically for free.

Purchased my OG 3DS and many many games on points

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I never wanted to get an optimum card cause it would mean an extra card in my wallet but I just downloaded the phone app. All of my cards are in my phone now.

That was precisely my reasoning for not getting one. But if there is a phone app, I should do that.

Apparently, odometers stop working at 299999. So they can only replace it, which means it would start at zero. So I'm probably stuck using the trip feature to see how many kilometers I have. :|

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I never wanted to get an optimum card cause it would mean an extra card in my wallet but I just downloaded the phone app. All of my cards are in my phone now.
Yeah I have mine on my phone. The Shoppers near my work has gaems too and accessories but no systems. Wonder if I should use the points...

zeitgeist

That's how it started for me and now I've used my points to get 200 bucks off of 3 different consoles. It's a pretty great program.

Lexxism

Yeah, they usually give me spend $10 on chocolate or snacks and get 4000 points. Definitely the way to increase my points with them. Will use these points to get those expensive shit switch controllers.

Shoppers points are insane.. I only shop there on 20x the points days and only redeem my points on days where they give you an extra $30 back, so I get $200 worth of free stuff after only spending $475. I have no idea how they can make money on people doing that. But whatever. Good for me I guess.

N° 2048

Shoppers points are insane.. If you only shop on 20x the points days and only redeem on days where they give you an extra $30 back, I get like $200 worth of free stuff after only spending $600. I have no idea how they can make money on people doing that. But whatever. Good for me I guess.

Most their products are marked up. You can find almost everything they sell cheaper at a grocery store.

I have $95 in points now that I checked o_O

Most their products are marked up. You can find almost everything they sell cheaper at a grocery store.

I have $95 in points now that I checked o_O

Yeah but I don't have a car so I would shop there anyways since it's the only place in easy walking distance for me. So there is no disadvantage for me doing this. Even with marked up prices, $200 of free stuff after spending $475 is really, really great. Also I think it doesn't hurt them too much because most people don't do the 20x points or mega redemption days and just collect points very slowly the normal way

Top Bottom