• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

WTF

I've had a Shopper Optimum card for a couple years now and didn't realize you could get so many points off of them. I just got the card for the novelty of it. There are like 3 stores within 5 minutes drive in 3 opposite directions of me.

Damn it

EDIT: And 2 of the stores have an electronics area to them, too. -_-

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
SDM is basically the best place to buy game systems, if you can wait until a points day / redemption day. They are rapidly getting out of gaming though and less and less stores carry them. Thankfully the one right next door has tons of stuff. They even had a few NES Classics in.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot to mention but there's a new yakitori place in Koreatown west of KFC wonder if it's any good or if we should try it. Was gonna go today but was too full....

Any SDM locations downtown still do videogames? The one near me was recently renovated and ditched games for groceries. I think I have $125 last I checked, I should use that on something.

Sober

Yeah but I don't have a car so I would shop there anyways since it's the only place in easy walking distance for me. So there is no disadvantage for me doing this. Even with marked up prices, $200 of free stuff after spending $475 is really, really great. Also I think it doesn't hurt them too much because most people don't do the 20x points or mega redemption days and just collect points very slowly the normal way
Yes the points return on value is stupidly good if you know what you're doing, but big redemption events are few and far in-between sometimes.

zroid

Banned
I've got a coupon for 2000 points on any purchase of $10 on my Optimum card right now

gonna buy some pop and other stuff tomorrow. shit really adds up quickly if you remember to load your offers every week.

the other thing Optimum does which is particularly great and unlike most other loyalty programs is you can freely transfer points between accounts. everyone in my household has an account so we have 3 times as many chances to get points from any useful coupons that pop up. every so often I pool the points together into one account.

The closest SDM near my home used to have a small rack of video games. Not anymore. It currently has a lone PS4 and Xbone bundle behind the counter.

Now that I think about it, The local Superstore got rid of its video game section recently as well. Kinda sucks not having access to physical games at walking distance anymore. Gotta put that Prime subscription to work, I guess.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:/

Packing up a lot of stuff to see what I can get for trade in and it's just depressing...

My Wii U barely got any use at all (less than 50 hours)
My Vita use dropped off a cliff (50-100 hours)
My Steam Link and controller has to be non existent (less than 5 hours)
I think it's too much trouble to trade in my old white Japanese PS3

Then I have a crap ton of games i didn't put much time into, namely Wii U games.

Then some old 3DS games that just didn't do it for me like Final Fantasy Explorers

I need to stop wasting my money for games...says the guy trading all this shit in for another potential paperweight...

edit: also, fuck you, EM! >_<

gabbo

:/

Packing up a lot of stuff to see what I can get for trade in and it's just depressing...

My Wii U barely got any use at all (less than 50 hours)
My Vita use dropped off a cliff (50-100 hours)
My Steam Link and controller has to be non existent (less than 5 hours)
I think it's too much trouble to trade in my old white Japanese PS3

Then I have a crap ton of games i didn't put much time into, namely Wii U games.

Then some old 3DS games that just didn't do it for me like Final Fantasy Explorers

I need to stop wasting my money for games...says the guy trading all this shit in for another potential paperweight...

edit: also, fuck you, EM! >_<

I'm sure GAF would take some of them off your hands

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure GAF would take some of them off your hands
Well the PS Triple is still available if anyone wants to buy it.

I'm not gonna be a soultron and want to play all these later - except if it was a SNES.

I miss my SNES...
Alttp
Chrono
SMRPG
FF2
FF3
Romancing Saga 2 (imported)
That Kirby Puyo Puyo game
SMW
SMK
Earthbound...

Of all the systems I ever owned, the SNES had the most memories for me and it also had the most interesting stories. There were a TON of japan only games that are still be fan translated to this day and looked cool as fuck. The only equivalent I can think of is maybe a Xenoblade that almost didn't get released here.

Edit
I'll give Kuro $100 for everything.
*puts bombs in systems* sure....! &#128520;

I'm not gonna be a soultron and want to play all these later - except if it was a SNES.

I miss my SNES...
Alttp
Chrono
SMRPG
FF2
FF3
SMW
SMK
Earthbound...

Of all the systems I ever owned, the SNES had the most memories for me and it also had the most interesting stories. There were a TON of japan only games that are still be fan translated to this day and looked cool as fuck. The only equivalent I can think of is maybe a Xenoblade that almost didn't get released here.

Edit

I had two SNES in my lifetime. I lost both over time but still have my Mystic Quest and Gradius 3 carts somewhere in my home.

And heeeeeey how about you sell that PS Triple to me? &#128563;

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I had two SNES in my lifetime. I lost both over time but still have my Mystic Quest and Gradius 3 carts somewhere in my home.

And heeeeeey how about you sell that PS Triple to me? &#128563;
If you want, sure.

Think I have some gaems lying around too. Just PM me.
Lol Mystic Quest...had a devil of a time with the last boss and turns out you can kill him in one turn...

gabbo

I miss my SNES...
Alttp
Chrono
SMRPG
FF2
FF3
SMW
SMK
Earthbound...

Edit

I take it all your WiiU stuff is gone?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I take it all your WiiU stuff is gone?
Not yet no. Just pm me.

And here's the story. So fucking Fils-Aime says there won't be a shortage like the NES classic. Well, I pack up all this shit to go trade in:
Vita Gen 1
2 Move controllers
2 Wiimote pluses
Steam Link
Steam controller
Wii U Pro controller
Wii U
Captain Toad
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
3 sealed copies of Nintendoland
MK8
Super Mario World 3D

JStars Victory PS4
NHL 16 PS4

Fantasy Life 3DS
Final Fantasy Explorers
Monster Hunter Ultimate 4
Mario and Luigi Paper Jam

But EB says they have no more preorders. I'm like WTF. I don't need it day one but can I put it "towards" the Switch at least. Guy says no. And now I'm carrying all this stupid shit back. FUCK EB. Seriously. I can't put it towards something even if I can wait?! I think I'm done with this after this.

I still have my NES and SNES systems, including the Nintendo Zapper Gun for NES, but they are sealed away in a storage box that I unfortunately did not label. The good news is that they were still working in amazing condition when I last used them(and put the back in the original box, etc), but I am too lazy to dig through all those boxes to figure out where they are hidden.

My mom said I was OCD somewhat as a child as I often put back my other non-video game toys into a toy box in the closet when I was finished playing with them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
yI4FybL.jpg

Renewed

Dang. Wonder if there's another bar nearby that can accommodate all of us since it was close to KFC.

Well, Renewed, if you wanted to book Victory, you may want to do it soonish just in case.

Jesus finally saved up enough Canadian Tire money to retire.

Still, fuck EB.

I'm already on it, just gotta input the number of people. Let's say 14? 16? idk taken aback

Renewed

Yeah Clinton's was fine. Actually haven't been inside so I'm up for it. I need to go back through threads to remember other places too.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Clinton's was the place where the waitress got upset with me for taking too long to order? There were only like 10 of us and we took up the entire front section.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Clinton's was the place where the waitress got upset with me for taking too long to order? There were only like 10 of us and we took up the entire front section.
Nah. She probably got upset just looking at ya.

I don't remember her being upset...? :/
Go to Barque
Lol like we can get seating there.

Well, it'll be nice to try something new next month or next meet up or whenever.

KdotIX

Greetings to my Canadian cousins from the UK!

I'm looking at coming to your beautiful country on vacation around August/September time to wonder upon the sights, locations and your finest eats. This trip is basically just to scope out what Toronto has to offer if I were to move there to live. So I would be looking at the housing situation, the jobs market etc.

I was just wondering what would be the key hot-spots for me to visit around Toronto and its surrounding areas?

Also, I work in the IT sector, more specifically QA, with experience in service desk and management. Is this sector booming around the Toronto area?

Also, I work in the IT sector, more specifically QA, with experience in service desk and management. Is this sector booming around the Toronto area?

I moved to Toronto from Northern Ireland last April and there are so many IT jobs to apply for. I'm actually working in QA for a software company in north Toronto.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I'm looking at coming to your beautiful country on vacation around August/September time to wonder upon the sights, locations and your finest eats. This trip is basically just to scope out what Toronto has to offer if I were to move there to live. So I would be looking at the housing situation, the jobs market etc.

I was just wondering what would be the key hot-spots for me to visit around Toronto and its surrounding areas?

August and September is good weather. Don't let any of these cold loving huskies tell you otherwise.

For key hotspots, the OP of this thread has a ton of resources. I personally recommend the Distillery District, the PATH, St Lawrence Market, Kensington Market, Yonge/Dundas, and High Park amongst other places.

QA jobs should be easy to find as far as I'm concerned, especially if you have the experience. Though wouldn't you need to be sponsored via a work visa anyways...? You planning on coming here and getting a shotgun wedding or something? D:

KdotIX

Though wouldn't you need to be sponsored via a work visa anyways...? You planning on coming here and getting a shotgun wedding or something? D:

Lol nah, I'm already married. I've been doing some light reading into immigration and I could apply for a 2 year work permit I think, so thats something I would be considering if I end up really liking the place.

As far as the "everyday little things" go, how is stuff like Internet, mobile phone plans, TV providers and the banking system out there?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Lol nah, I'm already married. I've been doing some light reading into immigration and I could apply for a 2 year work permit I think, so thats something I would be considering if I end up really liking the place.

As far as the "everyday little things" go, how is stuff like Internet, mobile phone plans, TV providers and the banking system out there?
Hmmm...well, it's still early as you're just visiting but see if you can do some networking as well to make the job search easier cause I'd caution that job searches here can take a long ass time sometimes...

Internet is average and overpriced
Mobile phone places are garbage and overpriced
TV providers are garbage and overpriced
You seeing a trend here...? All theee of the above are run by a group of three fucks that are colluding to screw us over.

Banking not sure what to really say. Pretty much the same as anywhere though maybe slightly less corrupt than the US (or we just haven't found out about enough corruption yet).

Renewed

When does the meetup start? I've been waiting here for you guys for two hours at Victory Cafe with a stolen Nintendo Switch unit.

Sell it for that ez money, not like you're gonna have anything to play :p

Edit: CONCERNING MEETUP DATE would people be interested in this weekend instead of next week Saturday? That way we get all our favourites attending

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Like Kuro said, the OP has a ton of good resources for places to see and where to eat. I can't say much about IT/QA jobs though.

And you should let us know when you are here since we can try to arrange a meet up.

EDIT: speaking of meet ups, I can do this weekend if we need to change it

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sell it for that ez money, not like you're gonna have anything to play :p

Edit: CONCERNING MEETUP DATE would people be interested in this weekend instead of next week Saturday? That way we get all our favourites attending
But fuzzy won't be there... :(

Oh wait...FAVOURITES...

I should be ok this weekend. To those of you interested in buying my old crap, I can bring them this weekend too.

Also, damn Generic Asians...

Top Bottom