• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I alone in finding the images of her post fight, disturbing?

There's just something about a woman with a bloody face/beat up face upsetting to me and I don't know why.

I have no interest in MMA stuff and only have a vague interest in the biggest boxing matches but seeing thise pictures of her after on Yahoo was just a little disturbing to see.

Maybe it's because you don't really see women in this state.
I get where you're coming from, but this is a sport and women should be free to participate in what they want, just as men are.

Hunting and killing animals as a sport, however, sickens me.

Ducarmel

Question. Majority if not all of Ronda Rousey's fights have only last one round correct? Does she even have the stamina to go for multiple rounds and could that have played a part here? Especially if she was having to work to even get close to Holm, likely tiring her out more then usual. She looked really tired and spent from the video I've watched and while Holm had to be tired as well she looked super fresh by comparison.

Probably because Ronda exerted a lot of energy in her takedown attempts. For most takedown defense tactics all you have to do is lower your center of gravity. It takes less energy to do so Holmes was able to conserve her energy while Ronda probably thinking to herself let me try to finish this now and put all my energy into this one move. So when that tactic failed Ronda found her self tired very quickly.

MaddenNFL64

I guess I hadn't really paid attention before, because relative to her opponents it didn't look jank. She squared up, landed a few, then judo tossed them into arm-bars.

But geez, next to a real boxer, Ronda's stand-up game looks piss-poor. They need to get that fixed asap.

PreFire

Ronda 10 years after getting knocked out by Holm-

https://twitter.com/FillWerrell/status/666051873825120256

Holy shit hahahahaha that was fucking hilarious

Ronda has no chance against Holm. her hands are lethal.. and that kick, holy fuck

I gotta give it to Rousey though, she does have a pretty good chin.. She took some hard strikes, and to be fair, that kick would have knocked out A LOT of people.. men, women, possibly a bear

Whoever bet big money on Holm got a pretty big payday.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Reading this thread, as someone who has a brother who's been struggling to make it as an actor for years, it really grinds my gears that Rousey is/was apparently prepping herself for a career as an actress in Hollywood. I mean, just because she's famous and good-looking...she wants to be a movie star despite the fact she absolutely cannot act at all? Hundreds of thousands of young, struggling actors out there who have doing everything they can to get their foot in the industry's door for years and people want to give Rousey roles just because she's suitably famous. Ugh.

BadAss2961

Question. Majority if not all of Ronda Rousey's fights have only last one round correct? Does she even have the stamina to go for multiple rounds and could that have played a part here? Especially if she was having to work to even get close to Holm, likely tiring her out more then usual. She looked really tired and spent from the video I've watched and while Holm had to be tired as well she looked super fresh by comparison.
She'd only had 1 fight that went past the 1st round, which went to a 3rd round. Her and Miesha both looked exhausted by the 3rd.

I think Ronda got too used to finishing opponents early, and also fell in love with her striking in her last couple fights. Between all the media appearances, hype, and quick finishes, over time she became more and more of a 1st round fighter. She's looked chunkier in recent bouts.

Holly looked super fresh in the 2nd because she was. She often goes the distance and has some of the most fight experience of any male or female in the sport. It also helped that her gameplan was working to a tee.

Marvel

could never
Ronda 10 years after getting knocked out by Holm-

https://twitter.com/FillWerrell/status/666051873825120256

rEN3uVi.gif

Pac was past his prime yes, but that doesn't make what Darkman said any less true. May did fight world class talent often during his career. You cannot take that from him because you wish he had fought Pac earlier.

I just love it that people think FM has anti-aging powers or something. FM is older than MP but FM's in his prime but MP is old and washed up.

Ronda has 0 chance in winning a rematch unless it's a fluke. She's not going to be able to learn everything she would need to in a single damn year. Especially with movies, shitty trainer and other shit she's busy with.

BadAss2961

Ronda has 0 chance in winning a rematch unless it's a fluke. She's not going to be able to learn everything she would need to in a single damn year. Especially with movies, shitty trainer and other shit she's busy with.
She has a chance if she gets a better coach and/or realizes she shouldn't box with a boxer.

She needs to take her time and cut off the cage instead of just following Holly around and rushing ahead in straight lines.

Nothing drains stamina more than getting hit. Ronda was pretty busted up by the end of Rd. 1.

Luke Thomas analysis of the fight is up. Excellent stuff if people want to see a technical breakdown of the fight and exactly how Holm beat Rousey

https://youtu.be/rBEhcxDaoYs

Seriously watch this if your into the details. Its not just striking or boxing Holm beat Rousey with. Her MMA game and skills set is fantastic

VoxPop

The only way she ever comes back from this is with a dominant KO victory over Holm imo. A submission victory would be great and all but thoughts will still linger about her getting destroyed in the stand up and knocked out. You will still envision Cyborg destroying her.

I had a feeling she was going to get finished but was hoping she'd pull it off and keep her status as an icon in the sport for the time being when the UFC needs it most. The moment I saw how she was acting at the weigh ins up to not touching gloves with Holm, I knew she was going to be going straight into stand and bang with a pro boxer. Definitely wasn't going to end well. Hoping she moves to a good team and improves dramatically.

abuC

Rewatched the fight and I made sure to look at their foot placement, there was never a point in that fight where Ronda got her lead foot outside of Holm's lead foot. That's why she ate so many straight lefts, she gave up foot placement every single time they were in front of each other and that puts your face right in line with a straight left when you fight a southpaw.

I'm not that familiar with all of Ronda's opponent but has she ever fought a leftie before?

Am I alone in finding the images of her post fight, disturbing?

There's just something about a woman with a bloody face/beat up face upsetting to me and I don't know why.

I have no interest in MMA stuff and only have a vague interest in the biggest boxing matches but seeing thise pictures of her after on Yahoo was just a little disturbing to see.

Maybe it's because you don't really see women in this state.

Yeah, your viewpoint is patriarchal and misogynistic. This is not domestic abuse or violence against women. This is women actually being fighters/warriors. This is gender stereotyping being disintegrated. Grown women can be tough as nails. These images are the outcome of that: something that would historically only be associated with men. Remember, context is everything. Why wouldn't you assume you'd see women in this state after a brutal fight?

Rezae

Everyone wants a rematch, but for as one-sided as this was, is it still in everyones interest to get a rematch lined up quickly? Sure it would likely break some records, but beyond that... if Ronda got her ass kicked again, her run is basically over. Seems like a big gamble in the long run.

Personally I'd like to see a few matches for each of them against other opponents first and see where things land, but I don't see how Ronda would recover from a 2nd straight defeat in a rematch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom