• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Julian Green was named to Bayern's match squad for their Champions League game versus CSKA. Took the place of Mandzukic who is out with an injury. Of note, Julian has not played a single professional game for the senior Bayern club yet.

Julian Green was named to Bayern's match squad for their Champions League game versus CSKA. Took the place of Mandzukic who is out with an injury. Of note, Julian has not played a single professional game for the senior Bayern club yet.
He's developing too fast! Germany is going to grab him. Hopefully his dad tries to influence him to go with the US. :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

We don't stand a chance at getting him do we?

Bayern Munich with an early kickoff this morning in the Champions League. Julian Green is on the bench.

John Brooks is having some sort of a knee problem and will have an MRI today. Doesn't sound too serious, but it might keep him out for a little while.

- Altidore named US Soccer's 2013 Male Athlete of the Year
The Male Athlete of the Year honor is the first for Altidore. He becomes the 22nd different player to earn the award since its inception in 1984. Altidore also becomes just the second player to win both the Young Male Athlete of the Year (won in 2006) and Male Athlete of the Year honors, joining Landon Donovan who won Young Male Athlete of the Year in 2001 and earned the Male Athlete of the Year award on four occasions (2003, 2004, 2009 and 2010).

Altidore set a U.S. MNT record by scoring a goal in five consecutive matches from June 2-Aug. 14. His eight goals in 2013 were a career best and tied for a team high. Three of Altidore’s goals were game-winners during the Hexagonal. He finishes off the year with 21 goals and 66 caps in his MNT career, and is now tied for sixth on the all-time goalscoring list with Bruce Murray.

Altidore, who moved to Premier League side Sunderland in the summer, scored 31 goals in all competitions last season for Dutch club AZ Alkmaar. He signed off from Holland with a game-winning goal in the Dutch Cup final.

Bradley with a start for Roma today. They're down 1-0 with a couple minutes left.

Johannsson starts for AZ. They're losing 1-0 in the first half.

Also, Galarcep took a crack at a 23 man US Roster:
SBI 23 FOR 2014: NOVEMBER 2013 EDITION

GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

DEFENDERS- Fabian Johnson, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Geoff Cameron, Clarence Goodson, DaMarcus Beasley, Brad Evans, Eric Lichaj.

MIDFIELDERS- Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Jermaine Jones, Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi, Alejandro Bedoya, Kyle Beckerman, Mix Diskerud

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Terrence Boyd, Eddie Johnson

Missed the cut GK- Sean Johnson, Bill Hamid, Tally Hall
Missed the cut DEF- Steve Cherundolo, John Brooks, Edgar Castillo, Michael Orozco, Michael Parkhurst, Timmy Chandler.
Missed the cut MID- Sacha Kljestan, Joe Corona, Jose Torres, Brad Davis, Maurice Edu, Danny Williams, Brek Shea, Benny Feilhaber.
Missed the cut FW- Chris Wondolowski, Juan Agudelo, Herculez Gomez.
More discussion via the link.

EDIT: Roma just equalized.

NoRéN;91990576 said:
Bruce Arena says no loan for Landon Donovan this January.

Fuck!
FWIW, from Greg Seltzer:
Despite the usual protestations of Da Bruce, I have just confirmed that Everton are indeed attempting to swing a third January loan spell for Landon Donovan. What I do not yet know is how far or close they might be at this time, or how likely they are to be eager enough to get it done in the end. After this many go-arounds, none of us should be shocked if it goes either way.

What I do know is that this would definitely count as raised-level World Cup 2014 training in Klinsi's book. And, ahem, in mine. This sort of Toffees arrangement also preceded his 2010 showing in South Africa.

Clydefrog

USMNT members have been gettin' in on the commentary business. Tim Howard was alongside Arlo White for the Spurs - Man Utd match yesterday. I also recall Landon doing the pre-game for midweek UEFA CL last week.

Atlagev

It'll be a while - maybe once the new Quakes stadium is up and running though I don't know why they've been avoiding Stanford stadium in the meantime. I'm bummed about it, too.

Yeah, I went to so many games during the 90s and early 2000s, but it seems like ever since the Home Depot Center was built, they put almost every friendly there. Hopefully, like you say, the new Quakes stadium will change that.

NoRéN

Yeah, I went to so many games during the 90s and early 2000s, but it seems like ever since the Home Depot Center was built, they put almost every friendly there. Hopefully, like you say, the new Quakes stadium will change that.
We only get the January friendlies. Also, Home Depot Center sounds better than StubHub Center.

daoster

The bad news: using the guardian's simulator, it took me like a hundred tries to see us win the win the world cup...

The good news...I didn't even see Mexico get to the semis

I drew US into a group with Italy, Argentina and France with France and the US advancing.

Also every time Croatia is in our group they end up advancing in front on the US.

Addicting to simulate but pretty scary, there is a huge potential for a nightmare draw.

gutshot

First simulation and I got a group of Colombia, US, Algeria and Russia. US was the runner-up and then beat Croatia in the round of 16, before losing to Portugal in the quarter-finals.

I'd take that.

Heretic

Gonna go to the game in Carson, CA. Hopefully we have a better turn out than the friendly against Costa Rica. We can't even fill the Home Depot Center down here :'(

gutshot

As expected, CONCACAF and ACF are in the same pot. Group of Death, here we come!

BakqywECAAAT_ai.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom