• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
From FIFA.com:

JURGEN KLINSMANN REACTION: "I had a feeling in my stomach we’d get Germany. It’s one of the most difficult groups in the whole draw. Including having Portugal and Ronaldo, Ghana’s history with USA and of course Germany it couldn’t get more difficult or any bigger. But that’s what the World Cup is about and we’ll take it. Hopefully we’ll surprise some people there. We’re going to be prepared were going to be confident. Winning in Italy, getting a result in Russia will help us in our preparations."

Nesotenso

most likely getting out of the group is not going to happen. Just give a good performance.

4 points might see us through. Ghana became a must win.

gutshot

There's talk this may be the toughest group ever at a World Cup.

It may have become a well-worn draw cliche, but there’s no doubt the "Group of Death" remains, as it were, alive and kicking in 2014. The football hipsters may be drooling over the possibility of watching Ecuador's tactical duels with Honduras and Switzerland, but the public hankers for heavyweight scraps. The 2014 World Cup group stage has happily obliged, with Group G -- containing Germany, Portugal, Ghana and USA -- pipping Group B (Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia) and Group D (Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy) this time.

Could it be the deadliest of group ever seen at the World Cup? It certainly appears to be a cut above 1978's "grupo de la muerte" of Argentina, Italy, France and Hungary; with all four Group G sides having reached the last-16 in 2010, each individual match has captivating connotations, with Ghana having eliminated USA four years ago, while a Cristiano Ronaldo-led Portugal will be looking to avenge defeat to Germany at Euro 2012.

Ugh.

daoster

NoRéN;92665804 said:
I love this draw!

Let's see what this squad has.

To be honest....I do too. If we want to win the world cup, these are the teams we must beat!

Vanquish our demons with Ghana, remind Portugal what happened in 2002, and payback with Germany for 2002

gutshot

I'm glad you guys can be optimistic about this but it looks like 2006 all over again.

0-2-1 with a hard-fought draw against Portugal being our consolation prize.

NoRéN

It is actually quite exciting being in the group of death!
Hell yes!
To be honest....I do too. If we want to win the world cup, these are the teams we must beat!

Vanquish our demons with Ghana, remind Portugal what happened in 2002, and payback with Germany for 2002
This is exactly the type of attitude I want to see. I mean, I won't lie. Do I wish we would have gotten group E or H? Yeah i do. But this is a test. This here is a damn hard test. US wanted to show the world they were serious by getting a foreign manager. Now we have a great test to put him through.
#Redemption
Ghana is the one game I want US to win the most.
I'm glad you guys can be optimistic about this but it looks like 2006 all over again.

0-2-1 with a hard-fought draw against Portugal being our consolation prize.
I don't want to be pessimistic but I've said this before.

1990 - Terrible
1994 - Good Stuff
1998 - Iran? You lost to Iran?
2002 - FUCK YEAH!
2006 - :(
2010 - Good Stuff and a win against England
2014 -

Fuck that pattern!

NoRéN;92670100 said:
Hell yes!

This is exactly the type of attitude I want to see. I mean, I won't lie. Do I wish we would have gotten group E or H? Yeah i do. But this is a test. This here is a damn hard test. US wanted to show the world they were serious by getting a foreign manager. Now we have a great test to put him through.

Ghana is the one game I want US to win the most.

I don't want to be pessimistic but I've said this before.

1990 - Terrible
1994 - Good Stuff
1998 - Iran? You lost to Iran?
2002 - FUCK YEAH!
2006 - :(
2010 - Good Stuff and a win against England
2014 -

Fuck that pattern!

not sure if srs or carrying on the joke :p

Opta is giving the USMNT about 33% chance of getting out of the group:

S0BenVA.png

Portugal are pretty rubbish btw. Don't play into Ronaldo's hands like the Swedes did and a draw is quite possible, and a win wouldn't be all that surprising :)

England fan coming in peace. Can I get a #groupofdeathbro hug?

*hug*

-I feel like a win against Ghana is going to happen. We're going to come out with the intensity of a thousand sons to avenge our loss in 2010.

-The best we can do is keep pace with Germany. I honestly don't see a way to win (I'll also take them winning the whole thing because they'll be who I root for if/when the US gets eliminated)

-Portugal is a toss up to me. I honestly don't know how well it could go, and I'm not knowledgable enough to make an informed opinion on this.

I am excited to see the Germany game though. I feel like that'll be a big insight into the team and how we will be going forward.

Edit: It's also obvious what FIFA is doing here.

Also it's really fucking annoying: Mexico barely gets in and has a better chance of leaving their group. Why didn't we just knock them out to begin with?

gutshot

Chandler gets a start for Nurnberg at right back today. Bedoya has scored again - this time against Marseille.

We really need to solve our RB issue before this summer or else Ronaldo is going to tear us a new one. Wonder if playing AGAINST his home country in a World Cup holds any appeal to Timmy?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
DAT DRAW. Gatdamn.

We'll get to see what our boys are made of, early this year. It's exciting.

Germany styles on everyone in the group stage, so forget them. The other two games are winnable

Meier

Bedoya scored again today for Nantes. Looks like it's going to be the winner in a 0-1 game over Marseille. Moves them into 4th over Marseille and in Europa League qualifying. Incredible for a team who were in Ligue 2 last season!

daoster

Ben Jata said:
Average FIFA World Rankings

Group A: 24.3
Group B: 21.0
Group C: 20.3
Group D: 14.3
Group E: 22.8
Group F: 26.3
Group G: 11.3
Group H: 28.3

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ben_Jata/status/409020125421924352[/tweet]

Damn it, how do you use the damn Tweet function on this board?

Glad to hear the USMNT seem excited. Gonna be a big "We are legit fuck you world USA USA USA" statement if they can win and compete.

All else, I am excited.

Nesotenso

I know that the travel miles have been mentioned but looking at the map really puts into perspective how tough it is going to be if the team base is in Sao Paulo.

Clydefrog

USA might as well book their tix back home cuz they gonna get schooled in sawker. lol!

Mexico gonna win it all and Wilbur is gonna have my man babies with yogurt, clydefrog, and blablurn.
Wooooooooooooo!!!!

why is verano talking about me in the world cup draw thread?

dunno, but I don't expect Mexico to make it out of their group unless their play improves significantly in the next few months. Not sure they can beat any of those 3 teams right now.

Clydefrog

Looking at roughly $3K to fly in and out of Brazil from Los Angeles. Another $4K to travel and lodge at USA's 3 venues in Brazil. Who knows how much game tickets will be... and if I'm lucky enough to get them.

still gonna be worth it tho

Nesotenso

Looking at roughly $3K to fly in and out of Brazil from Los Angeles. Another $4K to travel and lodge at USA's 3 venues in Brazil. Who knows how much game tickets will be... and if I'm lucky enough to get them.

that is a lot of money. If you do go ahead with the trip I hope the team gets some results for you.

daoster

I'm estimating trip should be about 15k, and that's probably on the cheap side...

Should I take out a loan?

kingslunk

2014 is the year of America. We're going to win hockey in Russia and then we're going to go to Brazil and do the craziest world cup run ever and make the rest of the world feel bad.

NoRéN

Sounds about right. Savings account ready to take the hit but it's for a world cup in brazil so it's worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom