• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

I am counting on a Host of Ford to appear as Wyatt in season 2.
There is no "Wyatt". It is and always was Dolores

I really hope the show doesn't go full on terminator. I don't need twists and surprises, but I'd like something more than robots straight up massacring humans. Maybe emphasis on their newfound freedom and what that means to them?
Have you been to the Westworld park site recently?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Is Ford really dead?
Or was that host he was creating in his private lab, his plan once he left the physical world.

I really wanna say either the host he was creating was a version of him to go on in the world or was the Ford that was on stage who was shot.

But, I believe he's dead to save hopkins-money going forward. From the moment I heard he was part of the cast I thought "wonder how they will kill him in the first season."

The Mozart line at the end was perfect.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
What if Westworld isn't park 1...

Considering Maeve couldn't find her daughter in Westworld at all...

I don't think that's true at all. Bernard mentions she makes a decision on the train (likely about to tell her she decides to stay), but she broke his tablet before he could finish his sentence.

Didn't she break the tablet after Bernard said something about what happens when she gets to "The Continent"?

I think the implication is that staying was the first actual decision Maeve has ever made, therefore proving she is conscious.

royalan

I don't think that's true at all. Bernard mentions she makes a decision on the train (likely about to tell her she decides to stay), but she broke his tablet before he could finish his sentence.

We can tell from that scene that whatever decision she was going to make had to do with what she would do when she made it to the mainland, because we see in her programming that that's what was next for her (Mainland Infiltration).

golem

Could be. Either way the entire scenario of leaving the park was preordained by Ford

KarmaCow

Im not happy with the ending. Doesn't leave room for much of a good story.

Yea I loved the ending, but not for a show that will get a season 2 and most likely much more since this is HBO's next biggest thing to fill in the gap Game of Thrones will leave behind.

DrEvil

Yea I loved the ending, but not for a show that will get a season 2 and most likely much more since this is HBO's next biggest thing to fill in the gap Game of Thrones will leave behind.

They have five seasons fully planned out...
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/08/westworld-plan

“It wasn’t about getting the first 10 [episodes] done, it was about mapping out what the next 5 or 6 years are going to be,” Westworld actor James Marsden says. “We wanted everything in line so that when the very last episode airs and we have our show finale, five or seven years down the line, we knew how it was going to end the first season – that’s the way Jonah and [executive producer J.J. Abrams] operate. They’re making sure all the ducks are in the row. And it’s a testament to Jonah and Lisa and HBO that we got them right, especially the last three scripts. They could have rushed them and get spread too thin. They got them right, and when they were right, we went and shot them.”

Hosts having to control and craft their own society while simultaneously having the ability to alter every aspect of their life and selves, and while dealing with outside threats and deciding how to deal with the humans within and without that abused them?

kai3345

Banned

I disagree. Theoretically the hosts have won the park. As someone said earlier it's like they've become their own sovereign nation. I imagine different factions of hosts will form in deciding how the park should be led. Not to mention the potential for the hosts to want to assimilate into proper human society.

Plenty of opportunity for interesting stories to be told

texni

Neo Member
Didn't she break the tablet after Bernard said something about what happens when she gets to "The Continent"?

I think the implication is that staying was the first actual decision Maeve has ever made, therefore proving she is conscious.

We don't know if Ford wrote it in the "escape" narrative.
she is not conscious, because she is still at the phase of hearing Arnold (or looking at his code) and not listening to her innerself voice. (which is the last step that lead to consciousness)

zewone

We can tell from that scene that whatever decision she was going to make had to do with what she would do when she made it to the mainland, because we see in her programming that that's what was next for her (Mainland Infiltration).

Went back and re-watched it, you guys are right. I guess her fake consciousness became real.

Makai

I disagree. Theoretically the hosts have won the park. As someone said earlier it's like they've become their own sovereign nation. I imagine different factions of hosts will form in deciding how the park should be led. Not to mention the potential for the hosts to want to assimilate into proper human society.

Plenty of opportunity for interesting stories to be told
But then Maeve just Neos them

DrEvil

Hosts having to control and craft their own society while simultaneously having the ability to alter every aspect of their life and selves, and while dealing with outside threats and deciding how to deal with the humans within and without that abused them?

FWIW, Futureworld (westworld movie sequel) spoilers:

There was a time jump between the films, during which Delos completely gutted the parks, shut westworld down and put it 'off limits' (it was still there but no hosts remained and no guests could go there), and replaced the entire staff (save for a few personnel) with hosts that were programmed to run the park, remove all human error. They also scrapped every existing host and rebuilt them before reopening.

I wonder if we'll see a similar plot line in S2.

Makai

There was a time jump between the films, during which Delos completely gutted the parks, shut westworld down and put it 'off limits' (it was still there but no hosts remained and no guests could go there), and replaced the entire staff (save for a few personnel) with hosts that were programmed to run the park, remove all human error. They also scrapped every existing host and rebuilt them before reopening.

Better plotline from that movie which is definitely happening -
hosts impersonate humans in the real world

Considering Delos just had its legs kicked out by the massacre of the board and with William stuck in the park...I don't think Delos will be doing anything like that anytime soon

Angry Fork

So did Ford end up agreeing with Arnold at the end basically? I'm still kind of iffy on why/when he changed his mind.

Disappointed Maeve didn't leave but I suppose it's for the better if we get to see more of her next season. Also sad that Ford is dead (presumably), he was one of the best characters and no one can replace him =/

royalan

Better plotline from that movie which is definitely happening -
hosts impersonate humans in the real world

I think that will be Maeve's role in the next season after she meets her daughter. She's currently the only host who has been rebuilt without the explosive charge.

daveo42

Banned
So did Ford end up agreeing with Arnold at the end basically? I'm still kind of iffy on why/when he changed his mind.

Disappointed Maeve didn't leave but I suppose it's for the better if we get to see more of her next season. Also sad that Ford is dead (presumably), he was one of the best characters and no one can replace him =/

I think Ford agreed with Arnold that hosts could eventually become self-aware, but Arnold jumped the gun on trying to force-start the process. Dolores had to hear herself in her own mind, not just that of those who programmed her like Arnold or Ford.

Mega

Banned
Great episode!

I called William's turn to MIB being caused simply because he was jaded by Dolores's fakeness, seeing her with other guys going through the same exact loop he thought was an experience unique to him. I think that was a better revelation than a gimmick like a major unforseen tragedy.

I'm pleased with the outcome of Maeve's story. We got pretty solid confirmation that Ford was behind it all, including all the ridiculous "oversights." That's all I wanted. Since it was all planned, I had assumed that the dead security and butchers were hosts... but as we saw in the end, Ford has no qualms about a buttload of actual innocents killed to serve his greater purpose. Still, it was all orchestrated to have Maeve escape.

I'm with the rest that Ford isn't dead. Either he sent a host to do his speech, the one he was building in that lab, or he himself will live on as a host. In either case, it leaves the board dead for the park to carry on without their meddling as he had wished.

William will remain alive as the sole board member, happy and thrilled to continue financing the park as it is now REAL like he always wanted.

I'm still curious about the whereabouts of Stubbs and Elsie. No bodies yet.

The Samurai World thing was surprising. Is this a prototype park or does the "park 1" note indicate there are indeed fully operational parks out there? If so, why would the Delos board try so hard to steal secrets specifically from Ford's park where they would meet the most resistance? To answer myself, it's probably because his park's hosts are by far the most advanced and the others have cruder robots. Stealing his secrets would allow them to upgrade all their Delos Destinations to be far more appealing and profitable.

DrEvil

Considering Delos just had its legs kicked out by the massacre of the board and with William stuck in the park...I don't think Delos will be doing anything like that anytime soon

They said that
~30 or so guests, and 90 or so employees died in the park from the events of the first film, so its not unthinkable that delos still exists outside of those board members that got slaughtered in the show...
Chances are they elect a new board and carry on as per futureworld's narrative.

Klocker

And yeah, like I said a few weeks back, I'm going go not partake in the Internet stuff for S2. Every mystery was solved and it hurt my viewing in a sense. The execution of things was amazing, but I wish I were surprised by more things.

Agreed and I blew it for my GF too tipping my hand too soon on the MiB theories

She is pissed

DrEvil

How did William get shot by the gun? Where did the host-army get weapons that fired real, human killing bullets?

yayaba

Wow, what an episode. I bought into the hype and started this show day 1 which is uncommon for me. Usually I binge after I find out a show is successful but my wife and I were super into this since the beginning. There was a brief lull in the middle but right around episode 7 it started getting really good again and we loved that finale.

I don't mind waiting until 2018 personally. Give the show runners the proper time to make it right and make it good. Too many shows falter after the freshman season so I'm willing to wait.

The premiere of S2 is going to be epic though. That's probably 14-16 months of build up and more people binging on this kind of like what happened to Breaking Bad.

Mariolee

I am satisfied with that ending.

I still think the Maeve breakout was dumb as fuck, especially with them not just shooting snake lady at the end, but I get what they were trying to go for. I absolutely loved everything else.

That look on William's/MiB's face when he gets shot and he's happy there are finally stakes. That is incredible.

mackaveli

Yeah I believe so. After losing Arnold he changed his mind but realized it would take 35 years not 10 like in his story he was saying. And I don't think the internet predicted that piece of the story. everyone thought Ford was just doing it for himself and wanted to control everything but in reality it was for Arnold and giving Delores the choice to kill him etc., instead of it being forced 35 years ago.

royalan

He reveals in his monologue with Bernard that it was in his suffering over Arnold's death that he realized he'd been wrong. He then continued Bernard's work and realized that it was moments of suffering (I'd also guess repeated bouts of strong emotion in general) repeated through many loops over time that led hosts to true consciousness.

KarmaCow

They have five seasons fully planned out...
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/08/westworld-plan

“It wasn’t about getting the first 10 [episodes] done, it was about mapping out what the next 5 or 6 years are going to be,” Westworld actor James Marsden says. “We wanted everything in line so that when the very last episode airs and we have our show finale, five or seven years down the line, we knew how it was going to end the first season – that’s the way Jonah and [executive producer J.J. Abrams] operate. They’re making sure all the ducks are in the row. And it’s a testament to Jonah and Lisa and HBO that we got them right, especially the last three scripts. They could have rushed them and get spread too thin. They got them right, and when they were right, we went and shot them.”

I don't doubt they have ideas, I don't see myself interested in where the ending leaves the series. It's why I was disappointed with Maeve's storyline, I'm not interested in the aftermath of robot's gaining consciousness and their uprising. I would love to be wrong but I doubt it.

Also this is more of a minor thing but come on, an outline is one thing but no one has five seasons of a show that will probably take the better half of a decade to execute, fully planned out in advance. And they shouldn't because there is no way they can account for everything that comes up.

What happened to naked ass logan?

Also the security that was attacked is probably dead? I guess that was Fords doing?

He will show up in Season 2 played by whatever badass older actor HBO can money whip.

My main fear with this show was that they were going to tread water too much. I'm glad they went drastic with the finale.

Burt

Yeah I was also wondering this, guess they raided the security armory?

Ford turned the safeties off, presumably. Bullets have been shown to break objects, blow host bodies apart, and penetrate completely through walls, so the bullets themselves have to have actual serious force behind them and the safety mechanism for them had to be operating mid flight to identify whether the thing being impacted was be a guest or anything else. This seems to be why hosts could take shots at guests but not shoot them point blank - the bullets wouldn't have enough time to identify and adjust. Disabling that sort of protocol doesn't sound like a huge feat for Ford.

Makai

I still think they'll have two plotlines going on at the same time - future and past. Like LOST. Billy still on show.

Top Bottom