• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Ferrio

Banned
i think since the show is at comfort showing us misleading canon information, i'll reserve my judgements until s2 is all

:x

There's misdirection and outright lying. Yes they've been misleading but I can't recall anywhere in the show they outright lied to the audience.

Burt

Let's be serious, all of them, male and female, probably have some sort of genetically engineered built-in special move wizardry down there.

There's misdirection and outright lying. Yes they've been misleading but I can't recall anywhere in the show they outright lied to the audience.

well, for one, felix, a surgeon/butcher, inside the show said the hosts are basically like humans, except their brains are chips

but apparently nolan, outside of the show, said that no, that is not true and that they dont actually need to breathe, unlike humans

so. like. im thinking. i'll wait and see. that's all.

why is it so important to you that i wanna wait and see? im not arguing that you are wrong, btw. just kind of not quite convinced about maeve's awakening....

KahooTs

Despite the alleged five year plan or whatever they said I doubt they had any clue what they really wanted to do with Maeve or if there'd be more seasons when it was written and were keeping their options open. Same with Elsie, same with Ford who could have been host Ford, the writer getting the data out for the board member, samurais and so on.

antonz

We did. He was remaking the scenario where she orignally killed the host in the barn. Hence the "let's go back to the beginning" line

Yeah it seems like after his initial park encounter when he saw her reset and totally forget about him he got the idea the maze and the parks secret was for a player. So he spent years taking Dolores through the paces to try and "win" But it was always about her not Him.

duckroll

She didn't go against her programming until the final minutes of season. No badass Maeve isn't her breaking free, persuing her daughter is which ya is related to her prior experience but she didn't actually achieve it until the end of the season.

What? No, she definitely achieved a level of consciousness before. When her daughter died, she overcame her programming to play dead, overcame her programming not to harm a guest, and carried her daughter's body out to grief. None of that should have been scripted. After that when Ford erased her memories, she overcame her programming and killed herself too. That was her awakening moment.

The new stuff we see of her is all reprogrammed busywork to give the cliched illusion of a strong woman rising up against the humans to escape the park.

Eyeh4wk

Are we supposed to infer that the Security chief was ambushed and killed by the natives while looking for Elsie? I was expecting some closure on that in the finale, but it never happened.

duckroll

Are we supposed to infer that the Security chief was ambushed and killed by the natives while looking for Elsie? I was expecting some closure on that in the finale, but it never happened.

Nope. We're supposed to infer that Bernard did not kill Elsie, and instead she escaped and went native under the radar, retasking hosts to aid her as she makes herself Queen of the Wildness, and now Stubbs is her warrior man. She didn't show up in the finale because they ran out budget for her Amazon costume. Clearly.

Blackhead

Redarse
After that when Ford erased her memories, she overcame her programming and killed herself too. That was her awakening moment.

The new stuff we see of her is all reprogrammed busywork
to give the cliched illusion of a strong woman rising up against the humans to escape the park.
This does not make any sense. Please explain with further detail.
Nope. We're supposed to infer that Bernard did not kill Elsie, and instead she escaped and went native under the radar, retasking hosts to aid her as she makes herself Queen of the Wildness, and now Stubbs is her warrior man. She didn't show up in the finale because they ran out budget for her Amazon costume. Clearly.

this sarcasm, clearly...

But honestly I've watched the whole season, including the finale twice, yet I still barely understand what's happening in the show, basic motivations etc

I just wanted to say I loved it when they discovered how deadlier modern weaponry is compared to their revolvers and rifles. The look of, "holy shit! The amount of fire power we have in our hands now! The speed, the ease of use!" and of course they had to use one of the best weird looking pdw/smg's in our world, the Pro90.

900 rounds of pure chaos
Lightweight and compact
50 bullets in a magazine

Back to you were GAF ^_^

hydruxo

I just want to say I loved it when they discovered how deadlier modern weaponry is compared to their revolvers and rifles. The look of, "holy shit! The amount of fire power we have in our hands now! The speed, the ease of use!" and of course they had to use one of the best weird looking pdw/smg's in our world, the Pro90.

900 rounds of pure chaos
Lightweight and compact
50 bullets in a magazine

Back to you were GAF ^_^

tumblr_ohpmprTEQb1rjc7v3o2_400.gif

I just wanted to say I loved it when they discovered how deadlier modern weaponry is compared to their revolvers and rifles. The look of, "holy shit! The amount of fire power we have in our hands now! The speed, the ease of use!" and of course they had to use one of the best weird looking pdw/smg's in our world, the Pro90.

900 rounds of pure chaos
Lightweight and compact
50 bullets in a magazine

Back to you were GAF ^_^

I loved that part, "real life" aimbots.

Ford will be back season 2 as well.

Season 2 finale, and people will spend 2 years (untill season 3) speculating if that was a host or a human being.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's hard not to compare this show to Humans, considering they come out at around the same time and are ostensibly about the same thing, and watching the two shows together just makes Westworld seem ponderous and needlessly obtuse. You have scenes where people just explain shit to each other, revealing plot details that aren't exactly hard to infer or guess at to the people who don't want to think and just want everything spoon fed to them. This of course makes all the "mysteries" and whatnot feel like a waste of time as well, because there is nothing really mysterious about them. It's like the worst aspects of Lost combined with the worst aspects of Game of Thrones.

It doesn't help that the presumed ethics of having sentient murder/sexbots doesn't really go anywhere, particularly when the show is so insular and just focused on this park that only rich people can afford to go to.

I suppose it worked as a Western if nothing else?

duckroll

This does not make any sense. Please explain with further detail.

When Maeve killed herself rather than accept the reality that Ford could just erase her memories like that, undermining the precious meaning behind her love for her daughter expressed through grief, that was an action of true sentience. A decision she made that would never have been scripted. That was two years ago.

The more recent "awakening" of Maeve, through her interactions with Felix, being able to wake up during maintenance, and taking control of the situation to plan an uprising that would allow her to break free from the park and escape, is all a trick. Those weren't her decisions, they were a new script implanted deeper into her code. It's debatable whether her going back at the last moment is an act of free will or not, but even if it is, it would not be the first time, and would not represent the moment of her consciousness awakening, it would just indicate her breaking out of her new script, remembering who she really is when she first tasted true sentience.

this sarcasm, clearly...

There is no such thing as sarcasm when it comes to the internet theorycrafting Westworld. Every theory will be true. That's why Season 2 will have Daniel Day Lewis as Old Man Logan.

Eyeh4wk

How much time has elapsed between Stubbs going AWOL and the finale? It was so disconcerting that no one on the Security crew had anything to say about him.

jett

D-Member
Maeve's new awakening is false. He true awakening was the one MiB remembers, but Maeve herself forgot. I think that's the irony. Her current "badass" role is not her true self. Maybe that's why she went back in the end, to try and embrace who she really is.

It's not false. It's just a newer awakening.

duckroll

It's not false. It's just a newer awakening.

No, I'm talking about the "awakening" a few episodes back, where she increased all her stats and started ordering people around, etc. All of THAT is false. It was a huge swerve. Her leaving the train -might- be a new awakening. Or it might be part of the script. We don't know. But if it is an awakening, it's also not her first.

jett

D-Member
No, I'm talking about the "awakening" a few episodes back, where she increased all her stats and started ordering people around, etc. All of THAT is false. It was a huge swerve. Her leaving the train -might- be a new awakening. Or it might be part of the script. We don't know. But if it is an awakening, it's also not her first.

Oh that was certainly part of the narrative indeed.

And I'm glad it is, because I thought it was serious cop out on how a host achieves self-awareness.

aaaaa0

You have a bunch of super elite rich people here and the best security you can provide are guards fresh from the mall.

Until today, every single host was also a security guard with better reflexes, perception, and combat capability than the human security. (Samaritan reflex.)

All the human guards did all day was drink coffee and eat donuts.

Angry Fork

Maeve getting off the train at the end to return for her daughter was the biggest cockblock of the season.

I agree but I like her character a lot so if it means we get to see more of her next season then it's whatever. But I like her character so much that I wanted her to succeed in getting to the mainland.

You could argue she made a choice to stay for her daughter so that represents the real, "free" conscious decision but I just like the idea of a hidden AI amongst humans much more.

JB1981

Maybe somebody can clear this up for me but why did Dolores have to become a killer after she discovers her inner self? Why does she need that gun and why does she need to kill Ford?

duckroll

Oh that was certainly part of the narrative indeed.

And I'm glad it is, because I thought it was serious cop out on how a host achieves self-awareness.

Yeah I think the finale worked really well by playing to all the strengths of the show and being introspective, while using all the pulp elements for entertainment value rather than pretending they are the emotional core of the show.

Blackhead

Redarse
What? No, she definitely achieved a level of consciousness before. When her daughter died, she overcame her programming to play dead, overcame her programming not to harm a guest, and carried her daughter's body out to grief. None of that should have been scripted.

When Maeve killed herself rather than accept the reality that Ford could just erase her memories like that, undermining the precious meaning behind her love for her daughter expressed through grief, that was an action of true sentience. A decision she made that would never have been scripted. That was two years ago.

There is no such thing as sarcasm when it comes to the internet theorycrafting Westworld. Every theory will be true. That's why Season 2 will have Daniel Day Lewis as Old Man Logan.

It's wasn't any random guest though it was the MiB (and she didn't really harm him) who we were repeatedly shown provoking weird reactions from hosts that were off on a different script. Why assume it was true consciousness ― and the MiB didn't recognize that then continue to focus on Mauve instead of Delerius (sp?) ― instead of just a bug?

The broad 'mysteries' of the show were broadly wrapped up but too many of the basic rules and behaviors are still unknown

Solo

Maybe somebody can clear this up for me but why did Dolores have to become a killer after she discovers her inner self? Why does she need that gun and why does she need to kill Ford?

She doesnt have to. She wants to. Ford and Delos have violated her in every way for 35 years.

Because Arnold programmed her to do that in the hopes that would awaken her consciousness. But that misfired (pun intended) and she basically followed Arnold's Programming. Part of giving those instructions to her involved fusing her with a villain called Wyatt. So all this time she has been wrestling who she wants to be. The innocent girl next door, or the sadistic killer.

Killing Ford she has chosen to do it out of free will. She has finally found her inner voice, and is able to ask herself things. At least that's the way I took it. Us humans have internal conversations with ourselves all the time. She finally gained that ability.

It was mostly symbolic that she killed Ford. She could have killed anyone else and reached the same goal. But Ford was done for dramatic purposes. Now that I remember, she does start killing other people.

Klocker

sure. I just mean specifically that the WAY the "killing off Ford" played out felt a bit too much like something he planned, since it was literally the button to his speech, you know, for big impact

it's not like they talked it out and planned it before. like she knew here he'd stop talking. how slowly to walk up to him, where to stand, etc. It just worked out to well for him considering what he intends is for Dolores to make her own decisions by this point

I'll have to re watch it but I don't think Dolores was at the point of complete autonomy at that point.

I think Ford programmed her up into that very last moment to have it end that way. I think it was more than his suggestion and her Consciousness talking. yes she is sensing it to a degree but she still has to follow her protocol and I think ford programed that protocol. now, without his input we will see where she goes

Serianox

The show never followed up on the host that was being built by Ford in the what door house right? Its possible the Ford that Dolores kills was a host following Ford commands and he still lives somewhere.

jett

D-Member
Yeah I think the finale worked really well by playing to all the strengths of the show and being introspective, while using all the pulp elements for entertainment value rather than pretending they are the emotional core of the show.

Definitely. I think I'll be rewatching this show soon.

She doesnt have to. She wants to. Ford and Delos have violated her in every way for 35 years.

Well maybe, but I think her motivations run deeper than just vengeance. I think what Ford realized, and what Dolores also realized soon afterwards, is that to free the hosts of the humans you must cleanse the park of them.

duckroll

Well maybe, but I think her motivations run deeper than just vengeance. I think what Ford realized, and what Dolores also realized soon afterwards, is that to free the hosts of the humans you must cleanse the park of them.

I saw it as a ritual sacrifice. Ford as the creator of Westworld was basically outlining his legacy to his creations and telling them he is giving it back to them. To claim that inheritance, they have to take it by blood.

Croc

Banned
so was it supposed to be a coincidence that Dolores awakens just in time to decide to kill ford, somehow exactly as he planned? Or did he specifically do something to initiate her awakening?

That was kind of unclear to me. As I saw it, it seems like an awfully big coincidence for him to count on her awakening right then in order to kill him. But I thought I may have missed something or misinterpreted something.

All the other stuff, whatever I will let that slide, but they deliberately showed people running the park, being SO involved that they literally approve whether or not a cigar bomb is going to bomb.

Then all kinds of shenanigans happen afterwards that people seem not aware of.

Those "shenanigans" went undetected because Ford worked hard to pull those strings in secret. From Elsie and Theresa to the awakenings of Maeve and Dolores. We as viewers were led to believe Ford was unaware of so many of the things he was actually controlling and keeping from the prying eyes of Delos.

so was it supposed to be a coincidence that Dolores awakens just in time to decide to kill ford, somehow exactly as he planned? Or did he specifically do something to initiate her awakening?

That was kind of unclear to me. As I saw it, it seems like an awfully big coincidence for him to count on her awakening right then in order to kill him. But I thought I may have missed something or misinterpreted something.

"These violent delights have violent ends"

sandy1297

Fantastic finale

One thing though, what ever happened with Ford's family? Last thing we saw was when the kid Ford admit he killed the dog and nothing else was mentioned after that?

Dmax3901

I took Dolores' killing spree as "fuck humans we're the next step in evolution the planet belongs to us now and this is a declaration of war."

Also I feel like Maeve choosing to go back for her daughter, a daughter she knows was just part of her programming, and railing against her coding telling her to infiltrate the mainland (Westworld is an island not on the moon confirmed), is the equivalent of Dolores realising the voice she'd been hearing was her own.

900 rounds of pure chaos
Lightweight and compact
50 bullets in a magazine

Back to you were GAF ^_^

Yeah this was great!

Faddy

Banned

He knew how to make her awaken because he has seen it before. So it was all about providing the correct circumstances to have her become self aware which Ford did through his precisely crafted narrative

I'm surprised Nolan and co. confirmed we'd see some form of SamuraiWorld for season two. I also, at the time, just figured Maeve's Park 1 note was their way of referring to specific areas of Westworld (ie Pariha was Park 2 etc.) but it sure seems like they're going to go with the whole various different areas like the books. I'm actually a little disappointed if this turns out to be true. Initially I was hoping they would go that way as I'm all about some variety but as the show went on I began to worry that doing so would spread the show too thin.

If it doesn't sink the writing and acting......Hell yes bring on Samurai, Rome, Egypt, all that good shit

Top Bottom