• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Now that I think about it, considering all the animals in the park are also synthetic... why isn't there a prehistoric park with host dinosaurs? I imagine it would be incredibly popular.

I just can't think of an appropriate name for it

squidyj

Still sad there probably won't be more Ford/Hopkins. He was my favorite character on the show, what can replace him?

I love Hopkins as a heel but also glad he ended up being the "good" guy in the end, as long as you ignore him killing theresa who despite being on the "bad" side still didn't seem worthy of being murdered lol.

he also set up the murder of the entire board presumably so....

Ferrio

Banned
I saw it as a ritual sacrifice. Ford as the creator of Westworld was basically outlining his legacy to his creations and telling them he is giving it back to them. To claim that inheritance, they have to take it by blood.

Yep. Literally killing god to begin thinking for yourself. Really plays off Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel painting.

I really don't think so. That would defeat the whole point wouldn't it? I do think he was crafting his own host in his basement though.
Wasn't he building a host in the old lab a few episodes back? We never did see what he'd created.
I'm guessing a host to take the bullet for him.

Socreges

Banned
Jurassic World

The One and Done™;226087615 said:
Jurrasic World.
😑

Billy and the Cloneasaurus.
wnkoy42lq38x.png

marrec

Banned
So like, the whole escape scene is just a narrative for Maeve and Armistice and Hector and all the hopelessly useless security are actually Hosts right? There are multiple scenes where they should have died but didn't, even getting sprayed with by a couple of guards without getting hit.

I hate the trope of waves and waves of useless guards. :(

Edit:

Felix's momentary existential crisis was the best part of ep 10

For everything I don't like about this show, it was pretty alright.

Well Tempered Clavier was the best episode tbh

Revolver

That scene was so badass. I wanna see more Hector and Armistace kicking butt in the future.

Pretty satisfying finale. I would have liked to learn the fates of Elsie and Thor's brother though but oh well. Interested to see where things go next season.

WW only had the second-best use of Radiohead's Exit Music during a scene in a TV show this year

What did you do, Kenny?! What did you do???!!!

Macka

Doubt I'll be back for Season 2 tbh. Granted I had been steadily losing interest in the show since like episode 5.

It was Maeve's storyline in particular that killed it for me back then. The stupidity of Felix and Sylvester happily taking orders from her was just too hard to roll with, and then when it became clear that she wasn't truly sentient and rather just capable of extreme improvisation in her dialogue, I lost most of my investment in the hosts as characters. Now, some of this was partially redeemed by the revelation that Ford was behind it all along, but at the same time it still heavily relies on Felix being weirdly complicit in a whole lot of murder.

Then there's William. This reveal fell totally flat for me as it felt blatantly foreshadowed since like episode 4? Even worse is that I don't see the point in his role in the story now. William in the past had a reasonable arc, but the Man in Black was ultimately irrelevant. None of the character's development occurred in the present. He 'found himself' in the park, and...pretty much just became an asshole? Lol. I had imagined the reveal would come at the same time as finding out that he was actually a good guy and had larger motivations, but nope. Is there anything interesting at all about this character now? And especially going forward?

Dolores appears to be the only host with true sentience at this point. Possibly Maeve too if she made her first real decision of her own by getting off the train? Regardless, how does the massacre of the board members not result in the SWAT team rolling in immediately with futuristic guns and just wiping all of the hosts out? Can't see how they intend to stretch this out for four more seasons.

erawsd

Wasn't he building a host in the old lab a few episodes back? We never did see what he'd created.
I'm guessing a host to take the bullet for him.

Hopefully not since I think that would just throw away what was great about the finale and Ford's character arc. In fact, I hope everything we see in episode 10 is just as it appears. After 9 episodes of mystery and misdirection, they owe that to viewers without more convolution.

Makai

Doubt I'll be back for Season 2 tbh. Granted I had been steadily losing interest in the show since like episode 5.

It was Maeve's storyline in particular that killed it for me back then. The stupidity of Felix and Sylvester happily taking orders from her was just too hard to roll with, and then when it became clear that she wasn't truly sentient and rather just capable of extreme improvisation in her dialogue, I lost most of my investment in the hosts as characters. Now, some of this was partially redeemed by the revelation that Ford was behind it all along, but at the same time it still heavily relies on Felix being weirdly complicit in a whole lot of murder.

Then there's William. This reveal fell totally flat for me as it felt blatantly foreshadowed since like episode 4? Even worse is that I don't see the point in his role in the story now. William in the past had a reasonable arc, but the Man in Black was ultimately irrelevant. None of the character's development occurred in the present. He 'found himself' in the park, and...pretty much just became an asshole? Lol. I had imagined the reveal would come at the same time as finding out that he was actually a good guy and had larger motivations, but nope. Is there anything interesting at all about this character now? And especially going forward?

Dolores appears to be the only host with true sentience at this point. Possibly Maeve too if she made her first real decision of her own by getting off the train? Regardless, how does the massacre of the board members not result in the SWAT team rolling in immediately with futuristic guns and just wiping all of the hosts out? Can't see how they intend to stretch this out for four more seasons.
We still use M16s in the military - like 50 years old. P90s make a lot of sense.

Blackhead

Redarse
People hate Maeve? Are you even sentient?

I don't hate Maeve but her whole storyline is the exemplar of the showrunners just wasting the time of the audience. It's shown from the very first episode with the Welcome to Westworld hostess that being self-aware you are a host does not make you sentient. It's furthermore shown from the Bernard storyline that a self-aware host overcome by the grief of their stored memories is also not sentient. So what's the point of Maeve's arc when it turns out it was scripted by Ford/Arnold? Ok what's the script, why does Ford want her to go the mainland? We aren't told. Even her decision to get off the train is a red herring as Felix says she asked him earlier about the daughter. Was that scripted too or not? We aren't shown.

And Delsroes is supposed to show what real sentience is? The crux of which is she makes the decision to break her programming and take a (Ford's) life? But again in the earliest episode Doleres already took the life of a fly ― and lied about it to boot. Was she sentient then? Did Dlores think Arnold's voice made her kill the fly? What about those Wyatt's army that shot MiB; are they sentient too? Why the fuck are the characters behaving as they do besides the Ford mumbo jumbo.

yeah I'm done with this show and won't be returning for S2.

KeRaSh

What an incredible finale. Loved every second of it. I'm incredibly happy that this gets at least a second season, although I'm already doubting that they can follow up such a strong first season with an equally strong second one but I will gladly be proven wrong!

What's next? New season of Sherlock?

@Dolores' spelling. Delo
re
s anyone? *putsontinfoilhat*

Future

I don't hate Maeve but her whole storyline is the exemplar of the showrunners just wasting the time of the audience. It's shown from the very first episode with the Welcome to Westworld hostess that being self-aware you are a host does not make you sentient. It's furthermore shown from the Bernard storyline that a self-aware host overcome by the grief of their stored memories is also not sentient. So what's the point of Maeve's arc when it turns out it was scripted by Ford/Arnold? Ok what's the script, why does Ford want her to go the mainland? We aren't told. Even her decision to get off the train is a red herring as Felix says she asked him earlier about the daughter. Was that scripted too or not? We aren't shown.

And Delsroes is supposed to show what real sentience is? The crux of which is she makes the decision to break her programming and take a (Ford's) life? But again in the earliest episode Doleres already took the life of a fly ― and lied about it to boot. Was she sentient then? Did Dlores think Arnold's voice made her kill the fly? What about those Wyatt's army that shot MiB; are they sentient too? Why the fuck are the characters behaving as they do besides the Ford mumbo jumbo.

yeah I'm done with this show and won't be returning for S2.

Maeve getting off the train was the first time she actually went off her narrative. In fact, everything involving her daughter caused her to go off script. It's part of the suffering that ford was talking about

Dolores swatting the fly was more like a reflex than actually making complex decisions going off script. Every other host was doing what they were told, including Dolores. Except Dolores was trying to access memories and find her internal voice through her internal maze. This enabled to find her own voice, go off script, and kill people without being told to do it

wazoo

0nX2Gxk.gif

Ed Happy totally needs to be on every page.

This is definitely the look of a man who knows he's not getting the train home any time soon.

No, I think he understand that the time of androids being able to hurt humans, something he was wishing from the start, is happening. I think in that shot he is happy.

Joni

No, I think he understand that the time of androids being able to hurt humans, something he was wishing from the start, is happening. I think in that shot he is happy.

Indeed. He is now getting a game with stakes. In the end, he is the man that has everything. He is completely admired in real life and he is a god in the game. This is him finally having something where he can proof what he is worth.

royalan

Maeve getting off the train was the first time she actually went off her narrative. In fact, everything involving her daughter caused her to go off script. It's part of the suffering that ford was talking about

Dolores swatting the fly was more like a reflex than actually making complex decisions going off script. Every other host was doing what they were told, including Dolores. Except Dolores was trying to access memories and find her internal voice through her internal maze. This enabled to find her own voice, go off script, and kill people without being told to do it

It was the first time Maeve went off her current script.

We see the first time Maeve goes off script, when she wills herself to stay alive and slashes MiB's throat when he shoots her daughter, and then breaks her programming and refuses to be wiped.

Maeve doesn't make a decision on her own until she chooses to get off the train; but we'd already seen that she was capable of reaching the center of the maze. Like Dolores, she'd reached it before.

Top Bottom