• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I guess if we're going for historical accuracy, the Chinese hosts would be building the railroad. (I don't think the guests are strictly speaking there for the historical accuracy, though. More for the murder sex debauchery). Most of the immersion comes from the humanlike behavior of the hosts.)

sonka

Banned
I really like the show so far, but for how large of a world it's supposed to be it I hope we see a little bit more variety in settings. Like I know it's the old west, but we've been in the town a lot so far.

TTG

I'm looking forward to how the William from the past camp is going to twist themselves further to make it work this week. See you guys after the episode.

sonka

Banned
I'm looking forward to how the William from the past camp is going to twist themselves further to make it work this week. See you guys after the episode.

The tragedy 30 years ago caused a time warp that led to MiB going back in time.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

You could have them in the same scene and people wouldn't let that theory go. But who knows, they might be right. I'm not buying it though.

Sean C

Wait, how do these conversations Dolores is having with Bernard work? It certainly didn't seem like she'd been whisked away to the programming shop between the end of last week's episode and this week's opening.

jfkgoblue

Wait, how do these conversations Dolores is having with Bernard work? It certainly didn't seem like she'd been whisked away to the programming shop between the end of last week's episode and this week's opening.
I think it's scenes from the season finale

kris.

Banned
Why is the Will = MIB theory dead?

they're all in the same time frame where Ford's new narrative with Wyatt is taking place. Teddy wasn't there last week to help Dolores because he was off trying to capture Wyatt. that's why she's with William now.

they're all in the same time frame where Ford's new narrative with Wyatt is taking place. Teddy wasn't there last week to help Dolores because he was off trying to capture Wyatt. that's why she's with William now.
Nevermind the fact she remembers MIB hurting her thus shooting the guy. So if it's a flashback then so is MIB

Burt

Oh lawd

I fucking love this show

Next week is going to be extreeeeeeemmmmmeeee

That Hopkins scene was incredible.

kris.

Banned
we also got confirmation that some storylines take place over multiple days which is nice. still doesn't explain how resets work but i think we can cross off them happening every 24 hours at least

JDMC13

Are we sure that they're in the same time frame?

A few things I noticed that seemed to discount it but could be misdirects:
  1. Dolores has a gun. When Dolores shot the bandit on her ranch, she ran out and was confronted by his partner. His partner shoot her, and Dolores got hit. Then, the partner ran out again, and Dolores ran away. This means Dolores has fought back before at least once and got shot. This could mean she has fought back multiple times. There was a scene transition between her escaping her farm and her meeting up with William. Meeting with William could have been a past time she escaped. The other thing I'll point out is that the gun she takes from the Bandit in the present doesn't look like the gun she has in the past. The gun she has in the past DOES look like the gun she dug up. As if she already had this adventure with William and then buried the gun on her ranch.
  2. Dolores is in the village the MiB just left. Many times they have shown us the hosts repeating patterns even outside of their routines. I believe again this was the same scene in two timelines. Look closely at that scene. When the Marshal confronts Dolores, Lawrence's daughter is nowhere to be seen. Lawrence's daughter is from the present and the Marshal is from the past. That's why they say in the control room they can't tell if she is with a guest, because in the present, she is alone.

I will admit I don't have an explanation for the Wyatt storyline if it is new.

pargonta

can you point to the info leading to this? maybe i missed a line at the campfire scene.

EDITEDIT: I think Girl at the fountain is the answer. Got it now.

-Teddy wasn't there last week to help Dolores because he was off trying to capture Wyatt.
-she's with William

she could still be with william in the past as i see it from these 2 facts. writers still can manipulate the audience. but yeah its probably best for the enjoyment of the show not to follow crazy theories.

Loving so much about this show, even though I've seen the sci fi beats before

Bearthgar

Banned
Episode three revealed to me why I can't fully gel with this show (how the hell am I enjoying Penny Dreadful more than this?) and for me it's the unbelievable, awful, stilted, no-one-would-ever-say-that dialogue between the park staffers. Everything to do with the hardened android wrangler and the "sassy" programmer made me tune out due to their fake asses. Hopkins delivered a three minute monologue and we along with Jeffrey ask monosyllabic questions. Maybe I've been overrating J Nolan's characters since Memento if he's okaying these cardboard cutouts and lame ass info dumps.

The editing is also so choppy quick you know someone with ADD is at the helm, not to the level of that infamous Taken 3 clip but it's up there even in basic dialogue scenes.

It's pulp that wants to be so much more imho. I'll keep watching because I honestly enjoy R rated hardcore western violence and this is delivering the GOODS, but its central mystery and attempt at dramatic delivery are super stale.

At least you love the blood

TTG

Things seem to be escalating quickly.

Is it really? I'm starting to feel like William's douchy brother in law. The only interest in the show is the tease and speculation. The acting performances in the first episode caught my eye and it's still there somewhat, the q and a lady getting rattled by Ford was convincing, but the lasting impression is that scene is a delivery vehicle to string the viewer along via another oblique hint and for Ford to seem ominous, which is all he's been doing for a while now. I find I'm not giving a shit about any of the hosts' awakenings either. Maybe if it wasn't 1 step forward 2 steps back for them every single time.

Jarmel

Banned
This entire episode was just gold for me. The actors seem to be getting more comfortable in their roles, we got a lot of information on how the park runs, things seem to be coming together narratively, and Hopkins is a living god.

Top Bottom