• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

duckroll

This is what I meant.
Apparently Man in Black was there to witness Arnold dying, or stopped him from blowing up the whole place (have to hear the line again).
So if this is William's first time in the park, and Arnold has already killed himself, how can the Man in Black be there to intervene like he did?

We don't know that MiB ever met Arnold, only that he knows who he is now. He knows he died in Westworld and that he planned it. There's no indication that he witnessed it. He just wants to know what Arnold left behind. When Ford and Dolores speak, she says that the last thing Arnold said to her before he died was that she was going to help him to destroy Westworld. I think that's what the maze is. What it has always been. The endgame is apocalypse. William will prevent the first attempt. MiB is back to help trigger the second attempt.

ZOONAMI

I think people are struggling to understand that even though everything is happening in the present day its not the same linear timeline. They both interact with Lawrence but its not like it has to happen within a few hours of each other

Right, most likely things are not directly linear, the mib Lawrence events were obviously not at the exact same time Lawrence was chilling with william but that doesn't mean there's a 30 year time gap. It's most likely a matter of days but all in the same rough timeline, just off a day or two and they'll eventually get on the same track when william and mib meet up.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I guess my main problem with that MiB line is I would expect the mechanical versions of Dolores and Lawrence to be a little less advanced or act a little different compared to their "modern" versions.

That's one problem with the theory that I don't think the show would just gloss over. Then again it could be a bit of a misdirect since the only one we've seen in length is decommissioned. The old creaky ones could be older than the William storyline, since we know he's coming into the park after it has been operating for a little while. I'm not ready to hop aboard that train yet but it's hard to refute.

Whew, that gunslinger scene with Delores gave me chills.

There are way too many strange things happening for there not to be something going on. At the very least Dolores seemingly ending up alone in so many scenes seems to indicate that she at least is in different portions of time.

Robot Pants

There are way too many strange things happening for there not to be something going on. At the very least Dolores seemingly ending up alone in so many scenes seems to indicate that she at least is in different portions of time.
Yea wasn't she alone in the graveyard outside of Pariah, then suddenly to her left were Logan and William?
I don't know. I'm just along for the ride

While I don't believe that William = MiB (in fact, I think MiB's conversations with Teddy and Ford disprove it, especially when he implies that he was there when Arnold offed himself, and seems to want vengeance on Ford for what happened), the beginning scene at the cemetery and the ending scene on the train all but confirm that, at the very least, the scenes concerning William and Logan take place in the past, and Dolores is retracing her steps to figure out the maze.

duckroll

Think about it, when you talk about something happening that sends a business into free fall, and that you're trying to take advantage of that to buy over the place, would you be referring to something that happened in recent years or something that happened for 34 years ago?

The way Logan talks about the suicide just before the park opened, and William's bewilderment at Westworld in general, suggests that this is something relatively new. If William is an executive vice president at Delos today, would he really be this surprised at everything?

-Deimos

William = MiB all but confirmed at this point. I just hope it's true so I can see the reactions of all the people who seem to be super angry about any conspiracy discussion in here xD

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yea wasn't she alone in the graveyard outside of Pariah, then suddenly to her left were Logan and William?
I don't know. I'm just along for the ride

This isn't the first time we've seen Dolores alone when she's clearly with other people. In the last episode, she and William were talking by the campfire, and then everything around Dolores faded to black, and she experienced one of her flashbacks again.

Itzcoatl

Neo Member
So, when the MiB called Ford by his first name, it was Robert, right? That makes him Robert Ford? The same name as the coward who shot his old partner Jesse James in the back?

XAL

Think about it, when you talk about something happening that sends a business into free fall, and that you're trying to take advantage of that to buy over the place, would you be referring to something that happened in recent years or something that happened for 34 years ago?

The way Logan talks about the suicide just before the park opened, and William's bewilderment at Westworld in general, suggests that this is something relatively new. If William is an executive vice president at Delos today, would he really be this surprised at everything?

It says he worked his way up and wasn't from a high standing, prior to that moment of him becoming VP he probably couldn't even fathom buying a ticket to Westworld.

Vic_Viper

This is what I meant.
Apparently Man in Black was there to witness Arnold dying, or stopped him from blowing up the whole place (have to hear the line again).
So if this is William's first time in the park, and Arnold has already killed himself, how can the Man in Black be there to intervene like he did?

He says that he helped stop the incident. As in stopped the hosts from killing everyone. Dosent once mention that he met Arnold though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

That's one of the things that still gives the William = MiB theory some credence. If the park was open for 3 decades, why is William so amazed by everything for his first visit, and why did he never go as a kid? Unless he grew up poor.

Mifune

Mehmber
On a side note, I think I'm done hard speculating. The story will come as it comes, and it's more enjoyable to experience the show in the moment than to remain constantly vigilant for fourth dimensional jigsaw pieces.

Yeah, I'm not all that interested in most of the discussion surrounding the show.

However, maybe that gets at my frustration with it. Westworld is a show that is so focused on, and obsessed with, the puzzle at its center that there's little else to talk about. I think there are thematic ideas at play here about storytelling and gaming that are worth discussing but even those are wrapped inside the puzzle box.

It's not that I don't enjoy the show but I wish it was about something other than the central mystery. Even LOST had a core story of survival. There is no narrative here other than the search for the maze (and what the hell is that even?) It's just riddles within riddles and it's starting to get a little frustrating.

duckroll

It says he worked his way up and wasn't from a high standing, prior to that moment of him becoming VP he probably couldn't even fathom buying a ticket to Westworld.

I'm not talking about him buying a ticket to Westworld, I'm talking about him being a normal functioning human being. If you are an executive vice president at Disney Corp, even if you have never been to Disneyworld or Disneyland you would have a good understanding of what it is and what to expect.

XAL

Yeah, I'm not all that interested in most of the discussion surrounding the show.

However, maybe that gets at my frustration with it. Westworld is a show that is so focused on, and obsessed with, the puzzle at its center that there's little else to talk about. I think there are thematic ideas at play here about storytelling and gaming that are worth discussing but even those are wrapped inside the puzzle box.

It's not that I don't enjoy the show but I wish it was about something other than the central mystery. Even LOST had a core story of survival. There is no narrative here other than the search for the maze (and what the hell is that even?) It's just riddles within riddles and it's starting to get a little frustrating.

Artificial intelligence? Humanoid robots? Ethics?

I'm not talking about him buying a ticket to Westworld, I'm talking about him being a normal functioning human being. If you are an executive vice president at Disney Corp, even if you have never been to Disneyworld or Disneyland you would have a good understanding of what it is and what to expect.

Assuming that Logan's company bought a stake in westworld, it would mean that it's just one of many holdings/investments that they have. William coming from a poorer background, wouldn't know any details about the elite's playground. He also wouldn't necessarily be working with anything related to westworld.

duckroll

Assuming that Logan's company bought a stake in westworld, it would mean that it's just one of many holdings/investments that they have. William coming from a poorer background, wouldn't know any details about the elite's playground. He also wouldn't necessarily be working with anything related to westworld.

But in present day Westworld is owned and managed exclusively by Delos. There is no talk of increasing stakes or buying out the place. They already own it. And it seems they have for a very long time now.

XAL

Arnold was Samaritan, Dolores is the Machine. That will be the big reveal during he finale. Makes sense with the timeline too.

Yeah I'm leaning towards that as well, though not exactly in that Samaritan v Machine format since the Machine didn't really have any ill intentions for mankind.

Arnold as a pure AI with no limitations, maybe based off of Ford himself. Every host in Westworld is based upon his template, but diminished. Dolores was chosen to finish what he started.

I'm sure that's what it'll end up being. Dolores maybe kills Mib. That's what I'm guessing so far.
But in present day Westworld is owned and managed exclusively by Delos. There is no talk of increasing stakes or buying out the place. They already own it. And it seems they have for a very long time now.

Even if they took it over, Westworld would still be one of many investments.

Remember this takes place in the future where these things are possible, corporations have likely bloated to massive degrees. They would have had to have a lot of capital to buy a controlling stake in Westworld.

I think Lost's biggest strength from the get-go that Westworld still largely lacks outside of a few standouts is characters. It's the reason why I kept coming back, even after they killed off my favorite character at the beginning of S5, not for the mystery, but to see the characters I cared about get off that damn island once and for all. Right now, Dolores, Ford, MiB, and Maeve are the only characters I really care about.

Burt

I hear what you're saying, but I think the immediate characterization elements are strong enough to stand on their own, especially with some of the really fantastic performances we're getting. I could almost say that the maze is the least interesting part of the show, like some amorphous future MacGuffin they're trying to bait us with while we're just trying to watch characters grow and/or get their metaphorical onion layers peeled back through the great work that Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton et al. are putting out. Even the little stuff, like Ben Barnes's slight smile when William refuses to help him, has me more invested than whatever Westworld's Infinity Stone-of-a-maze turns out to be. It will be whatever it is whenever it turns out to be it.

If nothing else, I do have to say that you have an interesting show on your hands when none of the post-episode discussion revolves around the full tour of a Cowboy-era Mexican border town's Roman-styled orgy bathhouse.

In the trailer for upcoming episodes, there is a shot of Dolores face to face with the MIB. It looks like she is wearing the powder blue button up she put on in this weeks episode. At 0:41 in the video. Doesn't that debunk the theory?

duckroll

Even if they took it over, Westworld would still be one of many investments.

Remember this takes place in the future where these things are possible, corporations have likely bloated to massive degrees. They would have had to have a lot of capital to buy a controlling stake in Westworld.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The language used by Logan and William reflects a company that wants to buy Westworld but only has a smaller stake in it at the moment. Which is not reflective of the modern reality of Westworld presented to the audience.

FStop7

Banned
LMAO at the conversation in the bar concluding with the fast piano and Teddys sudden urgency to leave. Teasing MIB about his anxiety to find the answers; and the audience, too.

Mariolee

Yup, it seems pretty clear William is MiB and I'm not sure why people think otherwise at this point. Duckroll has laid it out pretty clearly.

Mifune

Mehmber
I think Lost's biggest strength from the get-go that Westworld still largely lacks outside of a few standouts is characters. It's the reason why I kept coming back, even after they killed off my favorite character at the beginning of S5, not for the mystery, but to see the characters I cared about get off that damn island once and for all. Right now, Dolores, Ford, MiB, and Maeve are the only characters I really care about.

A damn good point. I think the characters of Westworld represent interesting things but they're not interesting in and of themselves. If that makes any sense.

I hear what you're saying, but I think the immediate characterization elements are strong enough to stand on their own, especially with some of the really fantastic performances we're getting. I could almost say that the maze is the least interesting part of the show, like some amorphous future MacGuffin they're trying to bait us with while we're just trying to watch characters grow and/or get their metaphorical onion layers peeled back through the great work that Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton et al. are putting out. Even the little stuff, like Ben Barnes's slight smile when William refuses to help him, has me more invested than whatever Westworld's Infinity Stone-of-a-maze turns out to be. It will be whatever it is whenever it turns out to be it.

If nothing else, I do have to say that you have an interesting show on your hands when none of the post-episode discussion revolves around the full tour of a Cowboy-era Mexican border town's Roman-styled orgy bathhouse.

THAT would be an interesting discussion. ;)

And I too love the performances. And the eerie mood. And the setting. I do wish the storytelling wasn't so damned obtuse, though. All these characters have goals and desires that we are not privy to in any concrete or emotionally resonant or plain easily understandable way. It's a cold, intelligent, and rather mechanical show (heh), and could use a little more heart.

JDMC13

Small things that make me happy:

When the Confederados grab William, he tells Delores to run instead of asking for help.

My only theory after watching that episode is that it's not just lines of codes that Arnold placed in Delores beneath everything else. He successfully transmitted his enitre subconscious into her and that's how he "died", Ford may be aware of it and even spent the last 35 years keeping her active because of his respect for Arnold

That might be a common theory though
Well that's a humdinger of a story, pardner.

duckroll

A damn good point. I think the characters of Westworld represent interesting things but they're not interesting in and of themselves. If that makes any sense.

I think the show desperately wants to be clever and secretive, and in doing so lacks honesty. No character is fully honest with the audience with regards to who they are and what they represent. This provides fun breadcrumbs for the mysteries but it makes it hard to be invested in who they are because everything feels a bit like a trick.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
MiB said that when he first got there he opened one up and they were beautiful but are now made of flesh and bone like us. William does not seem like the type to do something like that and we can see that they're already made out of flesh and bone when he's in there.

Oh man, another awesome episode.

- Anthony Hopkins was on fire this episode. Between his meeting at the end with MIB and his story at the beginning to Delores, this dude's god complex is seriously coming out full frontal.

- Speaking of full frontal, that crazy orgy brothel goldmember scene. Woof.

- I really liked that last scene, the tech's unbridled joy at getting the bird to fly, and it landing on Maeve's finger. That was great, and that really ramps the story forward so fast.

- Oh man, now Lawrence is a big bad outlaw. I wonder if he's gonna shitkick MIB.

- Logan is literally the biggest douchebag on this entire show, and we have a man with a god complex and serious ethical blindspots running the whole shindig. I loved seeing William leave him to get his ass beat. Though man, he's probably lost his fucking job by doing that hahahaha.

- Oh, and speaking of the above, speculation on what happens between William and Logan based on the upcoming episodes preview released tonight:

I think William is going to kill Logan, for real. You see Logan licking Delores's face, so he seems to have fully embraced the 'Big Bad' role instead of just playing it Black Hat. Earlier, you see William pulling a knife out before walking to someone on the ground. We already know that Westworld firearms can't kill a guest... but a knife can. And if every other host is dead (except Delores, who is no longer restricted by Westworld rules), then William can easily kill Logan. Dude's gone fully native.

- I like that MIB embraced the complete villain role just cause there was no good villains in Westworld.

- I loved Delores's line "I imagined a story where I wasn't the damsel." Fuck yeah.

I think the show desperately wants to be clever and secretive, and in doing so lacks honesty. No character is fully honest with the audience with regards to who they are and what they represent. This provides fun breadcrumbs for the mysteries but it makes it hard to be invested in who they are because everything feels a bit like a trick.

I feel like the show is actually really straightforward but people seem to have gotten this conception that it's way more complex than it actually is.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Just getting to watching the episode, and I always mean to say, really really like the intro musical theme.

Tron 2.0

I'm starting to think Arnold isn't real and never actually existed.
Y'all are getting crazy.

I'm enjoying the show well enough, but like others have already said, and as evidenced by this thread, the quest to "solve" this show and the lack of discussion on anything besides the fan theories illustrates how empty the rest of the show is.

Top Bottom