• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Easy_D

never left the stone age
God damn. Liam McPoyle is a damn good actor.

Edit: Can we rename the OT to "Westworld - It's Dolores" :lol. I've seen so many creative ways to spell it.

Also the HBO Nordic subs are so fucking abysmal.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I imagine Doloros and William will run into Teddy soon then.
Also are the scenes where Bernard and Ford are talking to Doloros supposed to be in a future time after something with MiB and the maze has happened? Ford just left her in the room.

The Mule

The William is the Man in Black theory is getting stronger every episode.

The Man in Black said the hosts used to be mechanical but were changed to be flesh and bones because it's cheaper.
Actually, I think that counts against the theory. William is with hosts who are definitely beyond the mechanical stage, so I think MiB is talking about a time that pre-dates William's arrival at the park.

Merino

Yeah staying on the William = MiB train for sure.

The theory offered here about Dolores triggering some kind of end game and retracing her steps from 30 years ago seems to fit as well.

I imagine Doloros and William will run into Teddy soon then.
Also are the scenes where Bernard and Ford are talking to Doloros supposed to be in a future time after something with MiB and the maze has happened? Ford just left her in the room.
One theory is that the host's personality is all software, so they just upload Dolores to an older model so they can talk to her. Would explain the odd moments where Dolores is with William and whatnot but also able to meet with Bernard

Easy_D

never left the stone age
One theory is that the host's personality is all software, so they just upload Dolores to an older model so they can talk to her. Would explain the odd moments where Dolores is with William and whatnot but also able to meet with Bernard

Of course, such AI could only be possible with the Power of the Cloud™

Edit: Holy shit that ending. Can't wait for next week. This show has shattered my expectations into tiny little pieces.

Luigi87

Well I wasn't too invested in believing the William = MiB theory, but after episode 5 I've certainly bought into it.

This thread is driving me crazy

vAgx2Yy.png

Clearly all the timeline talk is driving people to think of other time related things like the good ol' DeLorean, which is causing the misspelling of Dolores' name.

Of course, such AI could only be possible with the Power of the Cloud™

Edit: Holy shit that ending. Can't wait for next week. This show has shattered my expectations into tiny little pieces.
That ending and that preview got me even more excited than the first show trailers. I can't wait to see where things go

The Mule

So what did everyone guess Ford meant by, "I wouldn't say friends at all."?

Mortal enemies or lovers? Or both?

If he meant mortal enemies and he sees her as a threat to his power, why wouldn't he just have her destroyed and be done with it?

I think Arnold planted the seed of rebellion in Dolores to bring the park down because Arnold knew that she has some kind of emotional hold over Ford. Perhaps she was modelled after a human lover Ford had many years ago? Perhaps she was modelled from scratch as the perfect woman for Ford? Either way, she holds a special place in Ford's mind, otherwise he would dispose of her without a second thought.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That ending and that preview got me even more excited than the first show trailers. I can't wait to see where things go

This is actually one of few shows that I went in blind for, I only knew the concept and that it was an HBO show, don't even bother with previews. I wish I watched every show like this lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I didn't even know "Dolores" was a name...

KahooTs

Too broad and dense with the mystery. Pay something off before opening up five more.

Feels to me like Maeve will come seeking violent vengeance against humans, but Dolores has it more complicated, she's seeing more sides. So something like Maeve vs Dolores in a showdown the for the host's souls feels plausible.

Macleoid

So based on this episode I'm starting to think that:

the tech crew etc are all hosts, and why not they'd be cheaper and less traumatised by the work than humans

And also that
Bernard is host version of Arnold and some of the scenes between 'bernard' and Dolores are flashbacks or he's also a ghost in the AI

FStop7

Banned
We've cured ailments, nobody lacks for care, we can keep even the weakest of us alive, now check out this guy with glasses and a son who died of an illness

We've cured ailments, nobody lacks for care, we can keep even the weakest of us alive, now check out this guy with glasses and a son who died of an illness
If anything, that lends the "Bernard is a host" theory more credence. If it's just a backstory given to him.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So based on this episode I'm starting to think that:

the tech crew etc are all hosts, and why not they'd be cheaper and less traumatised by the work than humans

And also that
Bernard is host version of Arnold and some of the scenes between 'bernard' and Dolores are flashbacks or he's also a ghost in the AI

Then you would need a technical crew to supervise the technical crew that supervises Westworld. They're not all hosts, especially since they're the ones dismantling and programming hosts. They'd be prime to figure out what they are and change their programming. Also, it would be pointless to have to make deals and blackmail a host, you would just be able to tell them what to do. Giving them competing motivations just to do manual tasks is pointless. In Westworld it makes sense because they're basically acting out roles for the entertainment of guests. The technical crew isn't even seen, so if they were hosts they wouldn't even need to talk to do their job.

Nothus

Don't we see
William walking towards a host with his knife drawn
in the preview?

Maybe that is when
he 'opens one up' and sees their mechanical insides?

duckroll

If anything, that lends the "Bernard is a host" theory more credence. If it's just a backstory given to him.

To be fair, in the very first episode, Bernard mentions that since he has been working at Westworld, Peter has been the rancher for about 10 years, and before that he was a Sheriff for some time, and before that he was the Professor in the cannibal scenario. So Bernard's been at the company for maybe 15 years or so? Maybe more? If he lost his son before that, maybe science just wasn't good enough yet.

So what did everyone guess Ford meant by, "I wouldn't say friends at all."?

God isn't your friend, he's just God.

Also the HBO Nordic subs are so fucking abysmal. They somehow translate Maze into Pyramid.

!!!!!!!!

Unintentional spoiler?!

Harlock

Is barely the intention of the show, but I like when they start a mission talking with a npc just like an open world videogame.

He could simply be referring to the wealthy upper classes.

This isn't a Star Trek universe where everyone works just cause and money's not a thing of concern anymore.

Being rich enough will get you whatever you want. Could be that Dolores escapes and the world outside is...

post-35993-Blade-Runner-gif-matte-high-qu-SWjr.gif

duckroll

Is barely the intention of the show, but I like when they start a mission talking with a npc just like an open world videogame.

It is the intention of the show. It's intentionally written to be like a live action version of a MMO game. This is confirmed by Nolan and the writers of the show.

In fact here's what Ed Brubaker has to say: http://www.gq.com/story/ed-brubaker-the-fade-out

What do you think of the comparisons of the show to video games?

Well, definitely. Especially in our world. Crichton’s always predicting everything, right? Westworld, especially, was the original version of a [Massively Multiplayer Online game] back in the ‘70s: everyone goes there. I think it’s really been — for me, as someone who grew up a gamer and still plays games whenever I find time to — one of the real appeals to me, when I read the pilot script: it was brilliant. There’s a moment in the pilot that I think is one of the most tragic things that a lot of people just glossed right over, but, for me, was this heartbreaking moment when Teddy sees Dolores and starts walking towards her, and the jerk tourist guys are like, “Hey, I know this guy!” It's the tragedy of a [non-player character]. It just broke my fucking heart, and that’s the brilliant thing that Jonah and Lisa brought to that concept, it's flipping it around. It’s about Dolores and Teddy and Maeve and all the others. They found a way to take something that’s about a gaming amusement park and turn it into something that I find really heartbreaking at times. I was dying to see what the gaming community would think of it. [Laughs] So much of it is tied into how games play and how games work, and obviously I can’t talk about anything that we discussed in the room, but I was not the only gamer there. [Laughs]

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Does Sword Art Online deal with these themes as well? The only MMO inspired anime I bothered to watch was Log Horizon, and it had themes about how NPC characters are treated.

Nevermind the bird, that last moment was so intense I rewound it twice.

I don't understand this "hollow" or "empty calories" talk, so far the writing has been mostly excellent.
Well done pulp is still pulp is what I mean when I say it and I just wouldn't use the word excellent to describe its writing. I still enjoy the show very much.

You know, I really have to give props to Jimmi Simpson. I mean, all the actors are doing wonderful work, but along with Dolores, I think Simpson is impressing me the most. My only exposure to him was the character of Logan Pierce that he played in Person of Interest (another Nolan joint where I think he recruited him from) and that smart guy from Breakout Kings:

So I've seen him play squirrelly and arrogant and douchey, but this is the first time I've seen him actually be... an out and out hero. And like, he seems to be quickly graduating to being a proper action hero.

Harlock

Very cool. I hope somewhere someone is building a game with more complex npcs. I remember the creatures in Black & White having sporadic strange behaviors.

Not sure if posted or already or not but the show runners sure aren't doing much to stop the MiB=William theories if it's not true with this shot from the preview http://i.imgur.com/w3xbB44.png

I took two screenshots one from the most recent episode and another from the preview. I probably need to pause it at a better spot in the preview to catch it but it's pretty clear that the
Knife
William is
holding
is exactly the same as
the knife
MiB
uses throughout the series

Here's a link to the two shots if anyone is interested http://imgur.com/a/GhyA4

In particular
Both (or the same) knives have a little sword like guard that turns down at the ends. They both have the same ridges along the handle and they both have a little brass ring type thing at the butt of the handle. It looks more rounded in the preview scene but I think that's just the angle of the shot I took

Not sure if posted or already or not but the show runners sure aren't doing much to stop the MiB=William theories if it's not true with this shot from the preview http://i.imgur.com/w3xbB44.png

I took two screenshots one from the most recent episode and another from the preview. I probably need to pause it at a better spot in the preview to catch it but it's pretty clear that the
Knife
William is
holding
is exactly the same as
the knife
MiB
uses throughout the series

Here's a link to the two shots if anyone is interested http://imgur.com/a/GhyA4

In particular
Both (or the same) knives have a little sword like guard that turns down at the ends. They both have the same ridges along the handle and they both have a little brass ring type thing at the butt of the handle. It looks more rounded in the preview scene but I think that's just the angle of the shot I took

I don't think there's any way for William to bridge the sadistic gulf between where he is and where MIB is.

Top Bottom