• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Actually he never says he saved the park fiscally. He says Arnold wanted to destroy it and almost did, and he saved the park, which could easily mean William stops her from reaching the end of what Arnold started.

As for the robots people keep bringing up old bill but he was the second robot, and Arnold was still alive. Arnold died 34 years ago and the incident happened and MIB came 30 years ago so that's four years, and I think they state they passed Turing after the first and old bill sure as hell did not pass.

The way MIB talked about it didn't sound like robotics was like animitronics, and more like the outside was the same but the inner workings were mechanical not synthetic. I don't remember the exact wording but he said it along the lines of opened up and took apart, and every piece was perfect, leading me to believe it was only apparent if you dissected them and nothing in the William storyline refutes that.
To add to this, william has also interacted with at least 1 host that was operational during beta/mechanical period.

yb9n3zvb4zrx.png

Kayhan

Logan didn't mention any incident 30 years ago. He mentioned specifically that the park was started by a partnership, and that right before the park opened, one of the partners killed himself. This caused a scandal which was covered up, and the park has been bleeding money and is ripe for a buy out.

The only mentions of the incident are by people clearly in the present.
- MiB says he has been coming to the park for 30 years
- The last critical failure was mentioned to be 30 years ago
- Arnold died 34 years ago

If we put everything together it would possibly look like this:

37 years ago - Ford and Arnold start Westworld together and they spend 3 years building the park and perfecting the tech

34 years ago - Arnold kills himself through some elaborate scheme and leaves hidden code behind with Dolores as a trigger to destroy the park

30 years ago - William and Logan visit the park as Delos executives looking to buyout the park which has been running for several years but running low on funding now

30 years ago - Arnold's code in Dolores activates for the first time leading her to William and Logan, and leading her to "the maze" which is Arnold's grand plan

30 years ago - William stops Dolores and saves the park when things go completely south, Delos buys it out

Today - William has been drawn back to the park again and again over the years looking for meaning behind what happened 30 years ago, while Arnold's code activates in Dolores again, things are coming full circle

Good stuff. One correction:

34 years ago - Arnold kills his physical body and transfer his consciousness to the Dr. Ford host body and leaves hidden code behind with Dolores as a trigger to destroy the park

And one addition:

Today - Bernard is a host with a backstory of a dead son, created to be Arnold/Dr. Fords assistant.

GavinUK86

I think the juiciest thing out of the episode for me was Ford casually implying in his conversation that with Delores that he is Arnold. Strangely, it would make sense. And it was explain why nobody has apparently ever seen Arnold, except Delores.

She doesn't have godlike powers and he never implied he was Arnold...

Then what was the point of "Do you remember who I used to be? Do you remember...*dramatic pause*....Arnold?"

Did Arnold perhaps transfer his memories/consciousness to a host body - Dr. Ford?

That would explain Arnold's suicide as in his physical body dying but him living on as a host.

Arnold becomes one of his own creations so to speak.

MiB knows or suspects this perhaps which is why he takes out the knife and says "I wonder what I would find if I take you apart" near the end of the episode.

The conversation between Dolores and Ford was,

Ford: "Tell me Dolores, do you remember the man I used to be?"

Dolores: "I'm sorry, I'm forgetful sometimes."

Ford: "Hardly your fault. But I'm sure you remember him. Arnold. The person who created you?"

Dolores: "I'm sorry, I don't think I recall anyone by that name."

Ford: "And yet you can. Somewhere, under all those updates, he's still there. Perfectly preserved."

Anthony Hopkins' pause during that line was odd and made it sound like he was insinuating he was Arnold.

At this point, I have no idea who Arnold actually is. I'm slightly leaning towards he's dead, but implanted into the Hosts code, especially Dolores and that's the voice she's hearing.

KuroNeeko

So what did everyone guess Ford meant by, "I wouldn't say friends at all."?

Mortal enemies or lovers? Or both?

I think Dolores, being the last "person" present with Arnold before he dies, is carrying something of Arnold's---whether it's a hidden directive, an idea, a voice or something else. According to Ford, Arnold always thought more of the hosts as actual beings and was pushing to find the pinnacle of the consciousness pyramid. I think he finds or gives that to Dolores and it ultimately risks the entire park.

I think Ford for feels more at ease with the Hosts than with the humans, but they serve at his pleasure. He feels fondness for them, but not on a human level. He treats Dolores more aggressively than the others, almost with hostility, but doesn't do away with her because she reminds him of Arnold and the beginning of the park.

Pain is a common theme of Westworld. Both Dolores and Bernard mirror the sentiment that the pain of loss is preferable to the sweetness of oblivion. The MiB says that pain is what brings out the most human element of the Hosts. Ford may keep Dolores around because she is all he has left of Arnold.

I think the idea that Bernard is some incarnation of Arnold is interesting, but we can go deeper. What if they are all hosts? What if we have hosts (or other artificial lifeforms) tending the Hosts. Hmm, maybe not. lol

I think William as the MiB is possible, but I don't want to buy into it. They have some superficial likeness: light hair, light eyes. Having William go from White Hat to Black would be interesting. Would also shed more significance to the statement, "We're old friends, don't you remember me Dolores?" or something like that.

I like how someone mentioned that the Maze looks like a human (or a host) brain---especially since there is a man that appears in the middle. This ties back into the voices that humans / hosts have in their minds, the inner monologues that Ford talks about in episode 3 or 4.

I like the show and I don't think it needs to hurry on any reveals. Right now, the journey, setting, and character growth between episodes is enough for me.

Kayhan

I like the show and I don't think it needs to hurry on any reveals. Right now, the journey, setting, and character growth between episodes is enough for me.

Agreed.

We are five episodes into a brand new multi-season series and already people are whining that things are revealed too slow. Good Lord.

I am perfectly fine with the pace of the plot and character progression.

The mystery and unknowns that are slowly revealed are part of the enjoyment. And going from perfectly content hosts to a rebellious, sentient, new species over a few episodes would be rushed and feel unearned. The hosts journey is a major attraction of the show.

Kraftwerk

This scene to me solidifies the William = MiB. It\s just the amount of emphasis they put on it. They had all the guns and jackets and everything in the one room and then there is a special section just for the hats. And it's not various hats of different shades and colors...just black and white. Just something that stood out for me.

So many of you assume that William is MIB.

Fuck, what if Logan is MIB and his narrative ends with him killing William, the only true human hero of Westworld, and it sends him off an obsessive deep end where the world of Westworld is all that's left for him upon his realization that he murdered a real person who will never come back. So he went from being a dickhead player to obsessively become the best player that he could, to unlock everything, because whereas before he was just in it for the hedonism, he's looking for some deeper meaning in his twilight years.

Edit: Or stay with me here: Logan kills William. William, realizing that Dolores is approaching true sentience, makes Logan promise him (with his dying breaths) to bring the hosts true freedom. So that's what Logan does. He comes back again and again, in his own evil awful murderous prick way, he becomes the ultimate villain and boogieman, embedding himself in the subconsciousness of the hosts while unraveling the Maze, all to keep his promise to William.

BOOM. HE'S THE VILLAIN THAT LIVED LONG ENOUGH TO BECOME THE HERO.

Edzi

These split timeline theories sound kind of crazy because I don't think the show has done anything to imply it. It just sounds like a random idea someone came up with that people ran with.

Also, a few pages ago people seemed really confused by the Lawrence/El Lazo character, but I thought the show made it abundantly clear how he is who he is. Not only does he only appear back in Dolores's story AFTER he's killed by the man in black, but when he was handed to the officers in a past episode they mentioned that he was the most wanted man I'm the area, a clear reference to him secretly being El Lazo.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
These split timeline theories sound kind of crazy because I don't think the show has done anything to imply it. It just sounds like a random idea someone came up with that people ran with.

Also, a few pages ago people seemed really confused by the Lawrence/El Lazo character, but I thought the show made it abundantly clear how he is who he is. Not only does he only appear back in Dolores's story AFTER he's killed by the man in black, when he was handed to the officers in a past episode they mentioned that he was the most wanted man I'm the area, a clear reference to him secretly being El Lazo.

Yup. I'm not sure why people are confused that they are the same person, even after at the end of episode 5, he specifically says, "call me Lawrence".

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When MiB and Ford are talking, MiB says to Ford, "I wonder what I would find...if I opened you up".

What if that comment has a deeper meaning other than casual banter? What if the MiB is implying that he might find out that Ford isn't actually human inside if he were to "open him up".

I mean how many answers are there to offer?

What is the maze?
What happened with Arnold? (Although this is basically the same question since the two are so closely linked)
===
What is Ford's new storyline/motives? How is Bernard related?
===

Everything else isn't a mystery, but rather has unfolded organically. The host's evolving sentience, Bernard's motives and the behavior team's investigation, William's story, the Man In Black

And I disagree. I do feel the show has been answering and offering new questions.
Same. The show has answered quite a lot already, in addition to presenting new questions.

duckroll

The 90 minute finale is going to be crazy. I'm expecting a three way steel cage match between Robo Ford, Robo Bernard, and MiB-William in an underground arena hidden under the buried church where Arnold's body lies, with his brain connected to the master central computing system driving Westworld - a floating colony orbiting around the moon.

Oh and Elsie elopes with Maeve after killing Diet Thor.

Ferrio

Banned
When MiB and Ford are talking, MiB says to Ford, "I wonder what I would find...if I opened you up".

What if that comment has a deeper meaning other than casual banter? What if the MiB is implying that he might find out that Ford isn't actually human inside if he were to "open him up".

It's a good theory but we've seen that a younger self of him exists. Maybe both him and Arnold died and Arnold recreated himself as Ford? Just a random crazy thought, no evidence to back it up. Still doesn't explain the aging.

TyrantII

Pretty much.

Even if it is true, they're not earning a reveal of that nature IMO.

Matty77

The 90 minute finale is going to be crazy. I'm expecting a three way steel cage match between Robo Ford, Robo Bernard, and MiB-William in an underground arena hidden under the buried church where Arnold's body lies, with his brain connected to the master central computing system driving Westworld - a floating colony orbiting around the moon.

I think I would pay to see that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's a good theory but we've seen that a younger self of him exists. Maybe both him and Arnold died and Arnold recreated himself as Ford? Just a random crazy thought, no evidence to back it up.

Yeah, it's just a passing thought, considering that an earlier scene in that same episode had MiB telling Teddy about opening up hosts in the first version of the park.

Perhaps it could be just a metaphor, however.

What makes me wonder is the fact that no one knows who Arnold even is. Not even the lawyer types, and Ford even admitted to covering Arnold's existence up. Which is a ripe opportunity for a case of stolen identity as a plot device.

Especially suspicious is how Ford points out to Theresa in very specific terms about how Arnold went mad, but he is perfectly clear in his thinking.

Could it be a case of stolen identity?

Violet_0

Banned
From a story perspective, I don't understand what the William=MiB accomplishes other than a twist for a twist. Personally, I'd rather the two characters be separate with their own motivations.

the show's central themes are choices, agency, breaking out of the loop. It makes absolutely perfect sense that William is the MiB when you look at it from a writer's perspective because it just goes so well with those themes. William made a choice 30 years ago that saved the park and reset Dolores, preventing her from archieving true consciousness perhaps. Now he is back to undo his his previous actions. Dolores goes through the exact same motions again on her second search for the Maze even will going "rogue", because the loop pattern is so deeply ingrained into her AI behavior. Is anything she does truly out her own choice, or is she still just a puppet of the overlaying narrative and we can't see the strings?

For a message board focused on video games, I am frankly very surprised at how people interpret this show.
This was basically the information dump episode, and the teleplay of this one is credited to Joy directly. Felt like it was a little rushing on it, versus episode four which was better paced imo, and had Nolan as a writer on it. Mostly awesome soundtrack though.

First of all: Dolores gets a grey hat, contrasting with white or black for the guests. Specifically, Ford asks her directly which one she'd imagine herself to be, not allowing for the lack of a dichotomy. She does not answer the question.

Second, "lady with the white shoes" > cut to Dolores.

Third, Ford = Arnold, or what's left of him (either himself or andy). No need to spoiler it he nearly says so in the episode ("person I used to be.... Arnold"). He's the only person who refers to the andies being made by Arnold, whereas everybody else says Ford made them. The child version, which showed up again this episode (
and will likely show up for the finale too
), may have been something like a trial run for the purpose of transferring consciousness or something like that. Either way, I speculate Arnold probably only partially succeeded and 'died' in that sense, leaving 'Ford', who is distinctly lacking in certain human qualities (sentimentality, shame, empathy, probably more) that go beyond his creator role. Also, look at how the pictured figures are dressed versus Ford in both present and flashback, in which "Arnold" is never shown. We only ever see the person we know as Ford, so obviously by power of elimination that 'person X is not there', Ford is Arnold. They can't suddenly reveal the guy now. You can't pull a rabbit out your hat after you've shown the trick. If Arnold was a real, different person, we would have seen him on the first flashback. We 'didn't', we saw Ford. Additionally, it would explain his greater degree of control over the park, to the point of snapping his fingers to make things happen. Ford's connection to the park is not in line with a mere human controller. His connection appears to be more intimate than a human could be. MiB's threat at him suggests him knowing that too, if perhaps intuitively. Real question is whether Ford was reverse-triggered by that Shakespeare quote and then started changing narratives, or has been playing the long game.

Four: hosts are NPC's and may have duplicates or be moved around on the nightly reset. Lawrence being moved into his other role makes sense.

Five: there is definitely concern to the rules here, or rather those of the world outside. If everyone is taken care of, why does the patcher 'need the job' ? Unless he meant for purpose, and MiB was just referring to the body, an area that he is presumably involved in. Perhaps that's the cause for his villain role. There is also a mention of shuttles before, flickering lights and flooding, and those elevators into the park, but we don't know how fast they are. Since they only have eight hours while the guests sleep, I'm guessing there's a turbolift system in place. But these are all big assumptions to make when they change the range of the diegesis and do / will need to be explained in a coherent way. Otherwise you're just making shit up, and that's a bit unfortunate.

Six: the bicameral mind thesis is basically that of an echo-chamber, whereas the individual is alone. Dolores being alone in that shot was likely a representative of that. It may also simply be metaphor for how uncaring 'players' -in games- are, which she now is, of per hat token.

Seven: Logan felt pride with that tiny smile when William finally stood up, as set up by that 'happiest moment of your life' speech. Also: WTF at that whole brothel section. I get that this is the 'risky part of town', but what the hell at abruptly showing it. Then again, sanitizing lack of morality would be equally poor. But it's definitely an HBO thing to do.

Eight: if that conspiracy theory would be true, this season has to end on 'it's all a dream / in her head' where William isn't real (and we're quickly running out of 'real' people here), which is a hard cancel right there. HBO waiting to see how things play out is slightly concerning in that respect. However, even if Dolores remembers the first 'birth' ("don't you remember", with the church and presumably Arnold's death / attempted rebirth. Ford on that: "He is (...) perfectly preserved in there" ) of the park and the hosts that now inhabit it, which is presumably somehow tied to that maze (speaking of which: yes, it's a maze, we get it, ffs), there is no compelling reason to believe any that anything is happening at any other time than the present. But this caters back to problems with rules and the over-reliance on mystery.

If I had to guess, Fordnold holds the code -or whatever- needed for the hosts to become fully self-aware (prevented from completion by the incident), even if the Maeve plotline is already showing that to a sufficient degree. She's probably going to throw a bigass wrench in everything, being able to break out on her own.
The dependence on mystery kind of ruins the chances of it just being the hosts truly becoming self-aware on their own, without some magical bullshit to make it happen. Oh well, we'll see.

Edzi

For a message board focused on video games, I am frankly very surprised at how people interpret this show.
This was basically the information dump episode, and the teleplay of this one is credited to Joy directly. Felt like it was a little rushing on it, versus episode four which was better paced imo, and had Nolan as a writer on it. Mostly awesome soundtrack though.

First of all: Dolores gets a grey hat, contrasting with white or black for the guests. Specifically, Ford asks her directly which one she'd imagine herself to be, not allowing for the lack of a dichotomy. She does not answer the question.

Second, "lady with the white shoes" > cut to Dolores.

Third, Ford = Arnold, or what's left of him (either himself or andy). No need to spoiler it he nearly says so in the episode ("person I used to be.... Arnold"). He's the only person who refers to the andies being made by Arnold, whereas everybody else says Ford made them. The child version, which showed up again this episode (
and will likely show up for the finale too
), may have been something like a trial run for the purpose of transferring consciousness or something like that. Either way, I speculate Arnold probably only partially succeeded and 'died' in that sense, leaving 'Ford', who is distinctly lacking in certain human qualities (sentimentality, shame, empathy, probably more) that go beyond his creator role. Also, look at how the pictured figures are dressed versus Ford in both present and flashback, in which "Arnold" is never shown. We only ever see the person we know as Ford, so obviously by power of elimination that 'person X is not there', Ford is Arnold. They can't suddenly reveal the guy now. You can't pull a rabbit out your hat after you've shown the trick. If Arnold was a real, different person, we would have seen him on the first flashback. We 'didn't', we saw Ford. Additionally, it would explain his greater degree of control over the park, to the point of snapping his fingers to make things happen. Ford's connection to the park is not in line with a mere human controller. His connection appears to be more intimate than a human could be. MiB's threat at him suggests him knowing that too, if perhaps intuitively. Real question is whether Ford was reverse-triggered by that Shakespeare quote and then started changing narratives, or has been playing the long game.

Four: hosts are NPC's and may have duplicates or be moved around on the nightly reset. Lawrence being moved into his other role makes sense.

Five: there is definitely concern to the rules here, or rather those of the world outside. If everyone is taken care of, why does the patcher 'need the job' ? Unless he meant for purpose, and MiB was just referring to the body, an area that he is presumably involved in. Perhaps that's the cause for his villain role. There is also a mention of shuttles before, flickering lights and flooding, and those elevators into the park, but we don't know how fast they are. Since they only have eight hours while the guests sleep, I'm guessing there's a turbolift system in place. But these are all big assumptions to make when they change the range of the diegesis and do / will need to be explained in a coherent way. Otherwise you're just making shit up, and that's a bit unfortunate.

Six: the bicameral mind thesis is basically that of an echo-chamber, whereas the individual is alone. Dolores being alone in that shot was likely a representative of that. It may also simply be metaphor for how uncaring 'players' -in games- are, which she now is, of per hat token.

Seven: Logan felt pride with that tiny smile when William finally stood up, as set up by that 'happiest moment of your life' speech. Also: WTF at that whole brothel section. I get that this is the 'risky part of town', but what the hell at abruptly showing it. Then again, sanitizing lack of morality would be equally poor. But it's definitely an HBO thing to do.

Eight: if that conspiracy theory would be true, this season has to end on 'it's all a dream / in her head' where William isn't real (and we're quickly running out of 'real' people here), which is a hard cancel right there. HBO waiting to see how things play out is slightly concerning in that respect. However, even if Dolores remembers the first 'birth' ("don't you remember", with the church and presumably Arnold's death / attempted rebirth. Ford on that: "He is (...) perfectly preserved in there" ) of the park and the hosts that now inhabit it, which is presumably somehow tied to that maze (speaking of which: yes, it's a maze, we get it, ffs), there is no compelling reason to believe any that anything is happening at any other time than the present. But this caters back to problems with rules and the over-reliance on mystery.

If I had to guess, Fordnold holds the code -or whatever- needed for the hosts to become fully self-aware (prevented from completion by the incident), even if the Maeve plotline is already showing that to a sufficient degree. She's probably going to throw a bigass wrench in everything, being able to break out on her own.
The dependence on mystery kind of ruins the chances of it just being the hosts truly becoming self-aware on their own, without some magical bullshit to make it happen. Oh well, we'll see.

Don't they literally show a picture of Arnold with Ford? Also, like I said above, there only seems to be the one role for Lawrence.

As someone who hasn't read the thread much since like ep 2 or 3 and is watching it mostly like a smarter Jurassic Park with robots (mostly in for the park going to shit and the hosts gaining sentience basically) these theories are nuts lmao.

I mean, with how the show is going and doling out info or choosing not to + the fact that it's gonna be multiple seasons I guess I can see some of these Lost-level theories coming to pass but ehhh. As long as the show continues to work moment to moment and not get to focused on building up reveals I'm ok. I'm not really into the whole mysterbox thing.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Don't they literally show a picture of Arnold with Ford? Also, like I said above, there only seems to be the one role for Lawrence.
I'm gonna play the devil advocate:

Ford showed Bernard a photo of two people and said "this is Arnold." Everyone assumed it was the other guy. But he could have simply been referring to his former self. Before the host-sympathizing side of him ("Arnold") died...

shira

Mechanical spider tank please

Wild Wild Westworld

John_B

Completely true, and it's going to be lost on a lot of people. They're going for a big audience, yet imagine trying to explain to a casual viewer that there's two Dolores' in different times and that one in the first scene wasn a different one from the second.
The ambivalence we're all discussing is definitely deliberate. It's suddle enough that it might not be apparent to everyone. It's put there for people that enjoys to analyze and discuss the show. How the park is described in the show is a meta commentary on the actual show -- that some come to enjoy simple things and others want to explore deeper levels.

The show is carefully crafted and does not have to be dumbed down to have wide appeal.

At the center of the maze, the giant doors open, like in King Kong, and...

BE-21-architect.jpg

"Hello, Dolores."

So are we assuming the maze is also a physical construct that can be reached? Not as an actual maze, but an actual place

I think it's an actual place, as well a maze of the mind. Maybe it's a natural exit from Westworld into the Mesa so they totally understand their nature.

Though Maeve has jumped way ahead of that. For a guest, it's witnessing the birth of true sentience.

duckroll

So are we assuming the maze is also a physical construct that can be reached? Not as an actual maze, but an actual place

I think that as far as the meta maze Arnold intended for the hosts to achieve consciousness and trigger singularity on Westworld, it is a conceptual journey and not a place. But I also feel that there is enough symbolism in the show that ultimately there will be a physical representation of that idea manifested in some way. Perhaps that is what Ford is building now. A huge new game area which will reflect the maze icon when viewed from above. The ultimate easter egg.

KahooTs

The ambivalence we're all discussing is definitely deliberate. It's suddle enough that it might not be apparent to everyone. It's put there for people that enjoys to analyze and discuss the show. How the park is described in the show is a meta commentary on the actual show -- that some come to enjoy simple things and others want to explore deeper levels.

The show is carefully crafted and does not have to be dumbed down to have wide appeal.

If it is the case that half the show is taking place 30 odd years prior and that two of their stars are the same person then it's not a spot of hidden detail only there for those who want to delve in deeper.

You guys think Dolores is actually falling in love with William for real (cause it's obvious the reverse is starting to happen), or is it her programming still influencing her in that regard?

John_B

If it is the case that half the show is taking place 30 odd years prior and that two of their stars are the same person then it's not a spot of hidden detail only there for those who want to delve in deeper.
It's gradually being unveiled. By next episode more will start to believe. If you go back and watch the two first episodes you will notice the breadcrumbs.

KahooTs

It's gradually being unveiled. By next episode more will start to believe. If you go back and watch the two first episodes you will notice the breadcrumbs.

In which case what I said and more importantly what the person who I quoted said applies.

Top Bottom