• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Sony and Microsoft decided to kill console gaming?

At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed. Even with both today’s console, neither company is even technically playing to their strengths in terms of hardware and software design which has allowed the PC to be a far better experience. With out Nintendo, console gaming is essentially done (obviously there’s emulation sabotaging Nintendo’s latest console but for argument sake..). What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel?

Trogdor1123

End Of The World Oops GIF by The Gregory Brothers

begotten

MS killed their own console division whilst trying to act like Nintendo and Sony are in the same lane as them when they're not.

When GTA6 releases, Switch 2 comes out and a proper PS Handheld releases, we'll see how healthy the Console Industry actually is and that it's just been Xbox being deadweight the last two generations.

End of story.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed. Even with both today’s console, neither company is even technically playing to their strengths in terms of hardware and software design which has allowed the PC to be a far better experience. With out Nintendo, console gaming is essentially done (obviously there’s emulation sabotaging Nintendo’s latest console but for argument sake..). What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel?
Sony has sold nearly (maybe more than) 50M consoles this gen and is on par if not slightly ahead of the PS4 in terms of adoption....without a price drop.

Can we please stop with the fucking stupid notion that somehow Sony has ANY part in killing console gaming? Console gaming has a LONG way to go before it PC becomes the main thing. There is not one shred of data that suggests that console gaming is dying.

Xbox on the otherhard has done everything in their power to kill their own brand.

Last edited:
Are you one of them that think the majority of households own a high end gaming pc?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
What?

Why does Sony always get dragged into this? Last time I checked the PS5 is about double Series console sales.

Let me ask....why do you think more ppl are buying PS5's than Xbox consoles? Whatever the reason, more ppl want a PS5.

Hell, at this point might as well consider the Dual Sense as a major selling point when looking at console sales. MS was so focused on Backwards Compatibility it trickled over to their hardware decisions.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed.
What about those who love their consoles? What about those whose office setup doesn't play nice with the living room and can't hook up their PCs to the TV in the living room? What about those who value the simplicity of consoles? What about those who are on a smaller budget and only have $600 for a gaming machine? What about...

Yeah, you get the point. Do we need this thread every week? This shit is lame.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

False premise my man. Consoles are doing fine. It's just Xbox console that continues to struggle. And there is plenty of reasons to game on console rather than on PC. This has been hashed and rehashed so many time.....is there really any point to going over it yet again?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Quasicat

I’ve been debating on either getting a PS5 to go along with my Series X and Switch or buy a PC. I bought my last PC for gaming in 2010, but moved on to consoles for the convenience. I don’t really care for the politics in the gaming industry, I just want to play some good single player games.
I guess I’m going to sit and wait awhile longer to see what happens. Perhaps there will be some good deals on PS5 hardware in the fall.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Um, what is with these silly, hyperbolic topics lately? Xbox is the only casualty to console game due, in largest part, to its parent company.

Otherwise, Nintendo and PlayStation will continue to exist, do well, and PC can complement them both.

Sony has sold nearly (maybe more than 50M consoles this gen and is on par if not slightly ahead of the PS4 in terms of adoption....without a price drop.

Can we please stop with the fucking stupid notion that somehow Sony has ANY part in killing console gaming? Console gaming has a LONG way to go before it PC becomes the main thing. There is not one shred of data that suggests this.

Xbox on the otherhard has done everything in their power to kill their own brand.
JohnnyFootball, here’s the catalog on Steam, I also seen they added the PS VR 2 app.

ZrLTfk3.jpeg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What about those who love their consoles? What about those whose office setup doesn't play nice with the living room and can't hook up their PCs to the TV in the living room? What about those who value the simplicity of consoles? What about those who are on a smaller budget and only have $600 for a gaming machine? What about...

Yeah, you get the point. Do we need this thread every week? This shit is lame.
I agree that those are more than enough reasons for many, but the thing is, there used to be one more reason for owning a console: quality exclusives.

Where are them now? Just my opinion ofc but I think most of them range from total stinkers to pretentious movie-wannabes.

I don't know in a objective way, but in a subjective way, they are very much alive and well, for me.

The reason I'm a console player, is because I don't have the know-how, patience or care, to set up a PC, to worry about which graphics card to use, drivers, operating systems, and bla bla.

I just want to sit down, turn it on, and play.

I don't care how many games get on Steam. I don't care if PC has better everything (It's objectively better), all that stuff is pretty cool.

I'm just again, not bright or patient enough to ever want or care to touch a PC in my life.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed.
First, most people including me more comfortable playing on Consoles.

Second, there are still games either won't ever come out on PC like Vanillaware games or takes years to get PC release, FFVII Rebirth still hasn't come out on PC.

Last edited:

SHA

Cause software is getting more expensive and losing a studio is worse than warshiping a piece of plastic, they literally don't exist but games do.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The dick measuring contest ran its course. Sony and Microsoft are finally looking at console gaming for what it always was which is a business.

How far can you go into the red only to fuel your ego...we are coming to the end of that.

Last edited:

Holammer

Um, what is with these silly, hyperbolic topics lately? Xbox is the only casualty to console game due, in largest part, to its parent company.

Otherwise, Nintendo and PlayStation will continue to exist, do well, and PC can complement them both.
If Gaf thread had image thumbnails, they would devolve into clickbait with red arrows and soy face guy pointing at thing the first day.

"You won't believe", developers don't want you to know this"... and Picard facepalms of course.

bender

What time is it?
When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

RaZoR No1

Money
Dev costs raisen humangous amount to the sky but the gamers want to pay less and less for the games.
We only got a small price raise for the games.
Therefore they try to get as many people to play the games.

And greed

But mostly costs and greed

Top Bottom