• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

ieatzombies

No prob. They told me it should arrive in my email by the 23rd. The $5 egift card. I think you should have the $10 reward in your account right after you pick up the game.

Edit: this is response to Neuromancer. For some reason it didn't quote.

Spartix

Really interested In checking this out, does anyone know of any places to grab this at a discount on the pc? Little late to the thread so I may have missed out on some good deals. I just find it hard to justify the 60$ price tag unless the single player is quite extensive.

Andrew.

Banned
Really enjoying so far. Gettin Rage vibes and I LOVE the perk system. Also digging the fact that these Nazis aren't bullet sponges whatsoever.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Nope. Supposed to get the $5 egift card due to maufacturing issues in replace of that on top of the $10 rewards.

On top of the $20 rewards, you mean. It's normally $10, but it's more for this game.

By the way, Target seems to be offering a $10 dollar gift card with purchase of any copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order. I got a $10 gift card when I bought it today.

I forgot to mention my platform, which is PC.

Hey guys, check your copies of Wolfenstein: The New Order and you might have a spiffy reversible cover!

This is the PC version, I bought mine from Target.

GIOXG5I.jpg

SHL23

Banned
WTF 1 hour to unpack on steam after preload... it would've been faster to just download the damn thing now instead of unpacking

So, with the game out now...

Do you guys enjoy exploring the levels as well? Searching for hidden details and collectibles? I kinda loved doing that. I'm not usually big on collectibles, but I enjoyed looking in every nook and cranny. Gave the chapters a more open feeling as well, despite the game still being somewhat of a linear experience.

Yes. Early on it features pretty much my favorite kind of shooter pacing: Linear with interconnecting rooms built to feel like actual places, looking everywhere for everything just because, and well paced encounters. It feels like a shooter from 10 years ago in a good way.

Voice acting is good, as is the atmosphere. Old Starbreeze DNA seems alive and kicking so far.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
In terms of prices and how good it is, based on when I should buy a copy. I'll ask in these terms:

$60 - good game. $40 - has problems, but otherwise good or $20 - wait for the bin

Those who've played it, which price? I'm taking this route because reviews are often generalized for the public's consumer spending habits and don't reflect a series potential. I'm a doom fan too.

Edit: levels seem good. Ok

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah my mistake. If you're unlocked at BB it's $20. Great savings for this game.

The fine print of the promotion said it was anyone with a My Best Buy card. (Reward Zone)
Unlocked just got you an extra $12 off.

SHL23

Banned
while im waiting for it to unpack i got a question.

is the game locked at 60hz? or can i play it at 144hz on my sexy monitor

ieatzombies

The fine print of the promotion said it was anyone with a My Best Buy card. (Reward Zone)
Unlocked just got you an extra $12 off.
Well, that's a pleasant surprise. I figured the cashier was wrong. She kept insisting it was for unlocked members. Good looking out.

I got up to Chapter 8 and the statistics say I'm only 24% percent done. lol

I'm liking the game a lot so far. The guns feel and sound punchy, especially the shogun. Seeing enemies get eviscerated when dual wielding or otherwise has yet to get old. I do like the slightly open environments with branching paths. They do a good enough job of allowing you to play stealth, but I do kind of feel the gun blazing bias, which I still very much enjoy doing. Speaking of stealth, I looove that you can throw knives in this. Did not know about that prior to starting this.

The pacing has been really solid so far. I haven't felt like one area went on for too long or too short, though there are certain environments where I wish there were just a few more enemies to prey on (such as during the areas you have to clear out with
Anya's parents
). I'm liking the steadily growing cast of misfits and side characters that you meet up with, which also compliments the rather entertaining story that this has had so far. How Machinegames has handled the branching story paths has been very intriguing to me given the fact that I've been able to point out a few noteworthy parts.
I didn't think you'd be able to get out of the early train ride "interrogation" without initiating a shootout, but boy was I surprised.

My only real gripe so far is that I'm not big on how pronounced and prevalent the item scavenging is. It reminds me a lot of how Bioshock Infinite handled it, which I thought was very mishandled. I don't really feel like I'm actually exploring, finding secrets, and taking in the atmosphere of the environments, so much as I'm simply pixel hunting whenever I see something shiny or a prompt shows up. It doesn't create a compelling counterweight to the shooting. I just feel like I'm doing clean up work in the guise of picking up ammo and armor. This could have possibly balanced out if there were more meaningful items, weapons, and/or rewarding secrets to find, but the rare sniper rifle or weapon upgrade doesn't feel as significant as I think it should.

Nonetheless, the enjoyment I have been having with Wolfenstein has certainly outweighed that issue. This has been one solid ass shooter.

So, with the game out now...

Do you guys enjoy exploring the levels as well? Searching for hidden details and collectibles? I kinda loved doing that. I'm not usually big on collectibles, but I enjoyed looking in every nook and cranny. Gave the chapters a more open feeling as well, despite the game still being somewhat of a linear experience.

I will begin the game tomorrow, but generally i`m a sucker for that - I Ioved exploring in games like the Last of Us, the BioShock games, Dishonored.

Z3M0G

I found a temporary fix for the surround sound on PS4 and I think the problem is from the new system FW. In the same way that FW 1.7 has turned off the controller vibration by default, it has reverted the audio to two channels (stereo). To get back the full 5.1 follow these steps: Settings>Sound and Screen>Audio Output Settings>Audio Format. Then unselect Linear PCM by selecting Bitstream, then re-select Linear PCM.

This has greatly improved the sound mixing and now I can actually hear the voices.

Worth quoting! I must try this at home!

Raptor

Worth quoting! I must try this at home!

What about those like me with headset?

I read somewhere that the headset nulifies the system settings and use the ones that are of the headset.

I will do it anyway but just to be sure, this Update ended up to be fucking garbage with all the stuff that broke.

Current gen is ps4\xbone since they're both released...

Either way ps3 and 360 are about the same.

PS3 and 360 are not dead yet, so I still consider PS4 and XBO nextgen consoles.

PS3 version plays and looks kinda like Rage. So, it's fine.

Constant 60 fps, but texture pop-in and pre-baker lighting are necessary evil for that.

It's also on one disc. Day one patch here is 38 megabytes.

Thanks.

Drewfonse

Does the XBO version automatically DL the update while in instant on mode, or do I actually have to start the game after it installs?

DocSeuss

Why can't more games be this good? Remarkably solid shooter. Great storytelling so far (chapter ~8). Nice, meaty guns. Level design that feels nice and Half-Lifey. Cool tools to use. Most complaints I have are regarding performance and lack of AA. The game itself is superb.

Only gameplay complaint I have is that the AI can forget where you are, which is important to have in a good game... but it's a bit TOO forgetful. Definitely needed some AI/performance polishing.

pixlexic

Banned
I own the pc version but played the consoles versions today and the two console versions look are run very comparable to the pc version. I was surprised.

Andrew.

Banned
What exactly counts as a kill from cover? I'm using the lean when I'm behind a wall and no counts on my perks are registering.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah!

No! I wanna open up that package and smell that brand new game smell! Me!

He'd do it if I told him to though.

This is an important crossroad in your life you find yourself at. Do you lose out on the short but sweet moment of opening the package knowing it's done at the tradeoff of you sitting there watching bars rise, or do you come home to immediately dispose of Nazi scum like you were born and raised to do.

Keasar

Ran into a quite showstopping bug.
On Chapter 12, when you get to the end of the bridge and climb into the bridge support, the lockpicking of the door doesn't work. It doesn't react to me pressing Mouse 1 and moving it. Tried rebinding, reloading save etc. Nothing works. I am basically stuck now.

Edit:
Found a alternative entrance, luckily, but really, not working. :p

This is an important crossroad in your life you find yourself at. Do you lose out on the short but sweet moment of opening the package knowing it's done at the tradeoff of you sitting there watching bars rise, or do you come home to immediately dispose of Nazi scum like you were born and raised to do.

I dunno, I figured I'd just go to the gym while it installed.

But now you've given me pause and made me ponder my life.

Top Bottom