• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

malfcn

So with all the censored versions out there..were people successful in getting it off different marketplaces like Xbox One?

S1kkZ

just finished it: amazing! one of the best fps story/campaigns in recent years, easily.
and you can really tell that some of the developers worked on riddick/the darkness.

i am still shocked at how much character depth bj blaskowitz has. the game really cares about its characters and (mostly) gets away with it (unlike other "silly" shooters that tried something similiar, like gears 2+3).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The guns feel super flat and boring to me. I got to the "dissect your friends eyes" part and just turned it off. How fucking corny and boring. Glad I kept the receipt.

just finished it: amazing! one of the best fps story/campaigns in recent years, easily.
and you can really tell that some of the developers worked on riddick/the darkness.

i am still shocked at how much character depth bj blaskowitz has. the game really cares about its characters and (mostly) gets away with it (unlike other "silly" shooters that tried something similiar, like gears 2+3).

I think that is what made me care. Even the beginning of chapter 2 got my blood pumping and made me care.

Marcel

He reads as an introspective lunk to me. It's cool that they gave him some Cormac McCarthy-inspired inner monologues but it doesn't really do anything for him since he's ultimately just the big white marine shootman that can blow away Nazis with two shotguns at the same time.

Andrew.

Banned
...just turned it off. How fucking corny and boring. Glad I kept the receipt.

SzBFZ43.gif

If this game had no stealth, Uber would be way harder. But seriously, the stealth pistol is such a godsend.

I'm kind of resisting the pressure (imposed by the game itself via commanders) to play stealth. I died once or twice in the first levels but so far Uber isn't that bad even guns-blazing.
Looking forward to playing hardcore mode via the Enigma unlock

Dr Dogg

Yup

I've pretty much "hip-fired" 95 percent of the time. Fuck ADS and I hate how it became the standard.

Exactly! ADS pretty much fixes you to the spot and slows you down. So far in what I've played here I'm able to run and slide around like a madman and still pull off headshots. Such a refreshing change going back to the classic feel of older games compared to the current crop of shooters the last 5 or so years.

Tigress

I know it's been asked before but I never saw it answered, if you decide to replay a chapter, will it undo all the play you did afterwards? For example Metro Last Light would warn you if you started a chapter you already did you'd have to start the game from there and wouldn't be able to do later chapters until you re got to them.

Also, if they don't make you re do everything you did after the chapter you want to go back to, if you manage to find a powerup in the second play through of the chapter, do you get it for where you are currently in the game (basically if you miss something can you go back and get it without having to re do everything else).

I hope they at least let you replay chapters without having to play everything else afterwards if you want to play later chapters too (or continue from the game you were playing before you replayed a certain chapter). Sometimes I just really enjoy a chapter and want to play it again (or show some one something) without having to replay everything else after it if I want to go back to where I was in the game. It's why Metro Last Light isn't replayable to me after I finished. I'd love to play certain chapters but then I have to replay through ones I don't like if I want to play later chapters I also enjoyed. It would also be nice if you could go back also to get stuff you miss without being punished by having to re do everything else but I can kinda understand why not (I don't necessarily agree and think if people want the challenge of missing an item really is missing it they can easily choose to not replay chapters. I've put stipulations on games before to make them more fun/challenging in a way I like and the game allowing me to cheat hasn't ruined it. For example Skyrim I insisted on eating at least twice a day and getting 7 or so hours of sleep each night).

Wow.

I didn't think this was going to be as good as I thought it was going to be, I'm on Chapter 4 and just...oh my god holy shit this is the best shooter in years(right up there with Max Payne 3 for me), and the best wolfenstein game in YEARS not that Wolfenstein 2009 was bad(I thought it was awesome, even though the final boss was a bit lame) but I love how this really captures the feeling of Wolfenstein 3D and Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

It really feels like a Wolfenstein game, and the character writing and atmosphere is top notch.

When
they first showed Germania, which is hillarious because if you follow history this is pretty much exactly what Hitler and his top architect designed and planned. It's funny but it seems like they ripped inspiration straight from the history books. The bit in the prison with the two guards talking to each other about the poisonous nature of the super concrete was really amazing, and really kind of added a bit of humanization and insight into the world. Also if you sneak up on that german officer in the castle in the prologue, I loved the bit about where he talks about his little boy and girl back home. Kind of made me feel like shit to kill him.
It's touches like that I really, really enjoy, and I love the monologues that B.J. has they are really well done and I love the voice actor.

Sliding around and dual wielding, fuck yeah.

This game is:

tumblr_inline_mvv37q8FMd1ro2x8m.jpg

not to mention I've played probably about 6-8 hours already and I just got to chapter 4.

Dat length.

What's this? A shooter that doesn't penalise you for hipfiring, has a great sense of movement and speed as well as dual wielding fricking assault rifles? Say it ain't so!
Hehe yep. Its pretty damn refreshing.

Now if only we didn't have to manually pick up every last piece of ammo and armor. I spend half the time in this game looking at the floor.

Footos22

The guns feel super flat and boring to me. I got to the "dissect your friends eyes" part and just turned it off. How fucking corny and boring. Glad I kept the receipt.

Play past the first chapter and get to the 60's before you write it off. You haven't even seen the title screen yet. Jesus.

Dr Dogg

Hehe yep. Its pretty damn refreshing.

Now if only we didn't have to manually pick up every last piece of ammo and armor. I spend half the time in this game looking at the floor.

Hahaha yeah I've been smashing the E key everywhere I go. Great to see Health Overcharge back in a shooter, it's like being back in a '90's game but much, much prettier.

mcbradle

Neo Member
The only gripe I have is having to actually find and press square to pick up loot (on PS4). It means I'm constantly looking at the ground, and it feels like it slows down the pace for me. I'd rather be able to just walk over the ammo and health pickups to get them.

The only gripe I have is having to actually find and press square to pick up loot (on PS4). It means I'm constantly looking at the ground, and it feels like it slows down the pace for me. I'd rather be able to just walk over the ammo and health pickups to get them.

Yeah I don't get the logic behind that. It was like that in the old Wolfenstein games too

I'm kind of resisting the pressure (imposed by the game itself via commanders) to play stealth. I died once or twice in the first levels but so far Uber isn't that bad even guns-blazing.
Looking forward to playing hardcore mode via the Enigma unlock

It's really weird how a Wolfenstein game encourages stealth more than 90% of stealth games.

Mask

Glad I didn't pay attention to those few posters saying this was a shit game. It's been damn incredible so far.

Guns are nice, double barrel shotgun sounded horrible, but the auto shotgun is loud. Characters are awesome, and are handled well. Some of the levels are quite open, while others are more
corridors and big rooms.

I wasn't expecting the feels, man. Klaus and Max, Caroline explaining how
Klaus's son was born disabled, so the Nazi's killed him, and his wife when she tried to stop them
, wasn't expecting anything like that in a Nazi killing game.

Definitely needs to be a sequel.

Timeaisis

So...this game is getting mixed reviews but everyone I talk to seems to have great things to say about it.

Question is...worth $60?

CHC

Alright I'm in the
chopper hangar
- WHY THE FUCK are the
shitty guys with regular rifles
10x harder than the
giant mecha bots
I killed before them? Jesus this part is annoying.

mcbradle

Neo Member
Definitely needs to be a sequel.

I think I'd rather see Machine Games put their skills to a brand new IP. The storytelling and writing in this game is pretty good for what it is (Nazi-killing gore fest), and the gunplay is impeccable. So, putting that to a new series of their own where maybe they could develop a story that would be deeper than the Wolfenstein series along with the solid mechanics would be great.

Tigress

It's really weird how a Wolfenstein game encourages stealth more than 90% of stealth games.

Um, wasn't the actual original Wolfenstein a stealth game?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Wolfenstein

People forget 3d Wolfenstein wasn't the first. In fact, this is my first 3d Wolfenstein but it's not my first Wolfenstein game ;) (I didn't get to play it much, it was at a friend's house and I got so addicted I ended up playing the game rather than playing with her).

Of course Wolfenstein to 3D Wolfenstein is kinda like Fallout 1/2 to Fallout 3/Vegas ;).

eXite

Just realised that the guards in the prison and the
camp in Croatia
are from the "Heimatschutz" , german for "Homeland Security".

Game is much better if you speak german. Love the little details!

Top Bottom