• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

hermit7

Still on the first chapter, any estimate on time of completion? I had heard like 15 but that seems a little unreasonable for a single player shooter.

Lima

Only thing I can hate this game for is that the levels don't feel connected at all. Like sometimes I was really wondering if I had just skipped a cutscene. You are just there all of a sudden.

Still on the first chapter, any estimate on time of completion? I had heard like 15 but that seems a little unreasonable for a single player shooter.

Took me 16 hours on Über first time while collecting pretty much everything without a guide. Without looking for collectibles I'd say around 11 hours.

Is there a secret ending to this game? Or did they say they're making a sequel at all?
Feels incomplete. I wish we could've seen the nukes go off.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Left it at the last level there (really need to go to bed :p ) but yeah still loving this and for me it's just gotten better as the games gone on. Loving the second half so far.

Only thing I can hate this game for is that the levels don't feel connected at all. Like sometimes I was really wondering if I had just skipped a cutscene. You are just there all of a sudden.

Took me 16 hours on Über first time while collecting pretty much everything without a guide. Without looking for collectibles I'd say around 11 hours.

I don't really mind it so much, feels like a WW2 globetrotting adventure to me :p You're basically skipping all the travelling.

Xyber

Around 10-12 hours seems like the average time played when not looking for all the collectibles and stuff.

Mask

I'm in the prologue. SHIT, WHAT DO I DO?

Do I choose Wyatt or Ferg?

Depends what type of upgrades you want.

If you pick Wyatt and let Fergus live, you have the ability to Hotwire certain doors and safes during the game. You can also find Health upgrades.
If you choose Fergus, and let Wyatt live, you find Armor upgrades instead, and can Lockpick doors and safes.

The storyline changes a little bit. Naturally, the person you saved is alive, and becomes a part of the story. When you meet the resistence, depending on who you picked, another member of the resistence is also different, a female in the Fergus timeline, and a male in the Wyatt timeline. Both the choices have a seperate section in the chapters option on the main menu, and you can go in and out of each level on either side without losing any upgrades or collectibles.

Just randomly want to blurt out that if you've played any fps before ever, play on uber. Not saying this to anyone in particular.

if I started on Death Incarnate and bumped it up to Über will I get the achievement?

also this game is fucking dope dual wielding and shredding the Ops apart feels so good I'm definitely going for all the achievements

MattyG

Banned
MID TO LATE GAME SPOILERS
Did anyone get the feeling that those diaries Anya read were actually here own? Once she started reading about the "scarred man", it sounded exactly like the beginning of the game. Maybe that was how it was meant to be understood, or maybe I'm the only one, I'm not sure.
Is there a secret ending to this game? Or did they say they're making a sequel at all?
Feels incomplete. I wish we could've seen the nukes go off.
ENDING SPOILERS
I think you don't see the nukes go off because they want to leave BJ's fate ambiguous. I hope he isn't dead because this game made him one of my favorite characters, not just of this last couple generations, but ever.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Tried play the Xbone version today and I'm not getting audio. The pilot is talking to me but I can't hear him. It's more than just the voices though, you can barely hear anything going on around the player character.

Did anyone get the feeling that those diaries Anya read were actually here own? Once she started reading about the "scarred man", it sounded exactly like the beginning of the game. Maybe that was how it was meant to be understood, or maybe I'm the only one, I'm not sure.

ENDING SPOILERS
I think you don't see the nukes go off because they want to leave BJ's fate ambiguous. I hope he isn't dead because this game made him one of my favorite characters, not just of this last couple generations, but ever.
Yes, I believe those were her dairies. The last few entries made it obviously so.

I hope he lives and Anya too. To many terrible things have happened to them. Those two deserve a happy ending. Plus everyone else of coarse.

Lima

Tried play the Xbone version today and I'm not getting audio. The pilot is talking to me but I can't hear him. It's more than just the voices though, you can barely hear anything going on around the player character.

What are your Xbox audio settings? Are you going directly into the TV and use the internal speakers or are you using an amp?

Mask

ENDING SPOILERS

Yeah, I think they are. In the last diary entry, she says that she's been waiting for a soldier to help her kill nazis. Remember when you're getting wheeled into the asylum at the beginning? Anya whispers into your ear, "I've been waiting for you".

Pretty sure there's going to be DLC. The game performs a dlc check when you get to the main menu after starting the game. Really hope there is, ending is way to abrupt and lame.

Tomat

What are your Xbox audio settings? Are you going directly into the TV and use the internal speakers or are you using an amp?

I didn't even think about the setup, it's my brother's Xbox. I went into settings and changed it from 5.1 Uncompressed to Stereo and that fixed it. I never would have though to check that since we've never had the problem before.

I'll take a look at the setup he's got going when I get the chance tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me about the settings.

Playing it on Xbone atm and loving it. Still on the opening chapter. One thing I have noticed is that the vibrations in my controller aren't working.

I have gone into the menu, disabled, then re-enabled and it still doesn't work :(

I was hoping the game had a little more light-hearted tone to it because of the use of the 60's music, I kinda wanted a Bad Company 1 kinda vibe from the game because I thought the game, the ending in particular, took it a bit too seriously for my tastes and especially what I was expecting.

But that didn't bother me too much because I LOVE the gameplay and everything else about it. But my fears of a flat ending have unfortunately rang true, I must say.

I wanted to kill Nazis with this in the background.

Mask

How do you get shrapnel kills with the shotgun?

For the in-direct kills perk? Don't aim directly at the enemy. Instead, shoot at the floor in front of them, or at a nearby wall or ceiling, and let the shrapnel bounce into them. Might take a few shots.

Lima

I didn't even think about the setup, it's my brother's Xbox. I went into settings and changed it from 5.1 Uncompressed to Stereo and that fixed it. I never would have though to check that since we've never had the problem before.

I'll take a look at the setup he's got going when I get the chance tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me about the settings.

If you are only using the TV speakers it's kinda a given that you shouldn't select 5.1 for the HDMI audio setting. The game thinks that there is a center channel for the dialog but a TV is only stereo so you don't get any dialog at all.

all i can say is that so far this game is blowing my mind. it just feels SO GOOD. at one moment i was like "this is some awesome run-n-gun fps gaming right here..." and then suddenly felt guilty for putting it in the "run n gun" category.

then i realized that so many games before it had just tarnished that term that once was a compliment. this game feels like how so many SP shooters of last gen SHOULD have been. at least in feel and story telling.

it isn't academy award tier shit, but it gets the job done and it's a breath of fresh air considering how way over the top serious and contrived so many other games are these days. (even if i like a lot of them)

i'm currently
getting out of the trunk of the car and the old man
told me to kill EVERYONE. FUCK i love this game already.

MattyG

Banned
EASTER EGG SPOILERS
Is the level of Wolf 3D the same every time you play it? I noticed that I had the option to do it in multiple chapters, but I didn't do it a second time.

Pimpbaa

Got the game today for PS4, like over 6 hours ago and I'm still downloading the patch (I get around 2 to 3MB/s in Steam). My damn downloads are getting as bad as it was on PS3 for me. And that isn't over wifi. Sony needs some Canadian servers for downloads or something.

Nazi scum. This game does a great job of making you hate them and making you feel so goddamned good when you turn them into nothing but blood and bone.

Shooting feels great. Visuals are nice. Soundtrack's really good. Really digging the aesthetic of the game. I love BJ's character. Voice work is great. BJ just feels so damned earnest. I knew Starbreeze vets would nail the character.

Chainsaw torture on a Nazi scumbag makes me feel good.

Depends what type of upgrades you want.

If you pick Wyatt and let Fergus live, you have the ability to Hotwire certain doors and safes during the game. You can also find Health upgrades.
If you choose Fergus, and let Wyatt live, you find Armor upgrades instead, and can Lockpick doors and safes.

The storyline changes a little bit. Naturally, the person you saved is alive, and becomes a part of the story. When you meet the resistence, depending on who you picked, another member of the resistence is also different, a female in the Fergus timeline, and a male in the Wyatt timeline. Both the choices have a seperate section in the chapters option on the main menu, and you can go in and out of each level on either side without losing any upgrades or collectibles.

Sucks either way ;_;. Wyatt gives you lock pick and armor bonus. Ferg gives you health bonus and hack. I choose to save Ferg for the health.

I'd kill Fergus. There's something in the Wyatt timeline that got spoiled for me that I would've rather played before it got spoiled for me (I killed Wyatt my first time).

This game is really great. Holding down the trigger to an automatic shotgun and turning a hallway into mush makes me erect.

Ferg all day

Tomat

If you are only using the TV speakers it's kinda a given that you shouldn't select 5.1 for the HDMI audio setting. The game thinks that there is a center channel for the dialog but a TV is only stereo so you don't get any dialog at all.

I didn't even know how he had it set up in the first place. I'm not too familiar with surround sound setups in general, I've never had one myself. He's got a soundbar hooked up as well.

I didn't get to play much today, but chapter 4 and the beginning of 5 are SO old Starbreeze I couldn't take it. Brought a manly tear to my eye.

Just played about two hours of the PS3 version. It's basically idtech5 on the old consoles: sometimes it looks better than anything on the PS3, and sometimes it looks PS2 budget level. But it's buttery smooth 60 FPS, the loading is fine, and I don't think the resolution drops. A little bit of tearing in cutscenes, not gameplay. The audio bugs that people are mentioning on PC/PS4 are here too, which is a shame because the audio effects and music are really good. So it's a bit uneven, but it's damn fun. Overall, it's a fine cross-gen release.

Technical comments aside, I really like the game. The cutscenes are...actually directed well. I don't know what to make of this, other than to gleefully enjoy their effectiveness. The guns are satisfying and the various mechanics outside of the shoot-Nazis blueprint make it feel open and engaging. The level design is decent - I usually get lost in the thick of battle and it's refreshing. It's pretty easy on the default setting, but when you mess up and it throws waves of dudes at you, it's possible to die.

A lot of the game reminds me of Resistance 3. Probably because of the good weapons, the art design, and the audio bugs. But also because Resistance 3 combined the various schools of FPS design into a single cohesive game and it felt right; linearity and taking cover, but still an element of exploration, resource management and wandering around. I also get the impression that the game doesn't blow its load immediately, because it doesn't have to. Good pacing, keeps you engaged but not overwhelmed.

This is exactly the type of shooter I've wanted for a long time. I suppose it's not shined to a pristine and incredible AAA sheen that some gamers might be used to, but god I really enjoy what it does and I hope its gets respect for that.

EDIT: The game also requires an 7.2GB install, which goes by much faster than a lot of PS3 game installs. I found this very surprising. The 1.01 patch was only 35 MB though.

Just finished it up. I stand by what I'd said before about it being a solid ass shooter with punchy, satisfying guns and fun branching level design for most of the game. Thankfully, the tedious item scavenging became a bit less prevalent in the back half I felt, but that was in turn replaced by some areas with a weird difficulty curve. Namely the few areas where they cram in a ton of regular grunts with some special grunts and a handful of the more powerful exoskeleton enemies or actual mechs. Some areas didn't have a lot of med packs or armor lying around, so you really had to man up seeing as how some enemies can really blaze through your health quickly.

The weird part of all that is there were a few scenarios where it was hard to tell whether or not they were just sending in wave after wave of enemies. It was like the shooter equivalent of a clown car at times. But I was able to get through those few instances after a few tries, so it wasn't too bad.

On the story side, it was pretty entertaining throughout as well, though it sort of lost me in parts like with the
wondrous power of hebrew technology lol
. I really like how it ends too. BJ Blazkowicz maintains his badass status like a champ. But its greatest strength from a narrative standpoint is how it manages to create good pacing as well as it did. Chapters never felt too long or short, and I was always doing something new or different around the corner.

So yeah, this was one hell of a solid ass shooter. I really enjoyed my time with it.

Top Bottom