• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K15 |OT| Awww, Did Someone Not Get The Features They Wanted?

Hasney

Most of the bugs so far appear to be happening in Showcase mode by the looks of it, although mass weapon usage (as is my MO) still bugs out a lot, just not in funny ways like previous years.

Hasney

I thought he was just trying to play matches with one specific person.

If that's the case, the private match lobbies do work for that. The "wait for a match" thing made me think about wanting other people in the match other than who he'd invite.

Rapstah

Alex Navarro makes career mode sound pretty bad in his review. Say what you want about SvR 2007, but the thing that makes that game's career mode better than that of SvR 2008 is how you're always part of a clearly identifiable storyline, which sounds like the opposite of myCareer.

Hasney

Vickie just constantly tweets at you "Hey we got nothing for you". I had 2 scenes in the first 7 hours of the career and that was it.

Striker

I thought he was just trying to play matches with one specific person.
Private matches can only be played with friends.

The new Background Matchmaking basically puts you in a match where you cannot pick who you are and cannot enter with friends. You edit your favorites prior to and you keep the matchmaking on for it to find a game. It becomes a waiting game. Playing online was basically the reason I got it so it's a bummer 2K has done such a poor job for it. Even last gen 2K15 had the old lobbies.

JdFoX187

Banned
Private matches can only be played with friends.

The new Background Matchmaking basically puts you in a match where you cannot pick who you are and cannot enter with friends. You edit your favorites prior to and you keep the matchmaking on for it to find a game. It becomes a waiting game. Playing online was basically the reason I got it so it's a bummer 2K has done such a poor job for it. Even last gen 2K15 had the old lobbies.

I don't necessarily mind the concept itself. But they could do so much better. Essentially, you should be able to party up with a couple people in a matchmaking queue and then go ahead and do whatever you want. When it matches, both of you accept and are put into a lobby with a certain time limit to pick your character and vote on a match type. If someone drops out of that lobby during the connection, you wait until another person joins or you vote to have the CPU take over. It's not perfect, but the way it is right now is pure shit.

beanman25

Does anyone have an extra Sting code for Xbone?

Totally cool if not, just unable to buy anything from the xbox store because it isn't accepting my card right now.

So played a bit. Wrestlers look great. But ring etc and the surrounding lighting+pyros etc suck. Not sure if this game is 900p on xbone.

Regarding gameplay, there are very subtle changes which almost none of reviewers have mentioned like:
1. Wrestlers drag opponent near ring middle while hitting a move, making sure there's enough space.
2. The animations look very realistic now. Irish whip etc has good interaction with ropes.
3. Character specific movements. Noticed it with Hulk Hogan and Kane. They walk and take hits, run etc exactly like their real life counterparts. Uploading a video now, it will be more clear.
3. Hair is very improved. Still not perfect but way better than last gen. Check video to see.

Will play more tomorrow and update. Overall I am liking it.

Video:

Watch "WWE 2K15 Hulk Hogan vs Sting Xbox One gameplay" on YouTube - WWE 2K15 Hulk Hogan vs Sting Xbox One gameplay: http://youtu.be/2o8m7nn4hGM

Hasney

Community manager just confirmed that if you win the WWE title, it fast forwards to your last match in career mode.

Hasney

How are you enjoying the game so far?

Enough to platinum it, but I don't think this is going into my multiplayer wrestling rotation. Just lacking so much and the only reason we have a more modern one in the rotation is because of the crazy weapon landings, especially the steps... Which has been calmed down a lot now. They barely glance the steps.

The stamina model works, but the amount of jank still in the game is crazy. My springboard shooting star basically teleports to the top rope, my CAW can't hit diving moves to the outside, they just go through the other guy and career mode is a boring slog through reading tweets by Vickie Guerrero and I'm actually glad it ends at the WWE title. Universe is almost exactly the same as last year except you can pick the type of rivalry, which is fun to pick out the rivalries you saw the last few years, because I don't think they've added any. You can put a name to them now! Submission matches are just way to prevalent still.

Showcase is fun and since I got bought the deluxe, I'll probably come back to it for them once the new ones are out. CAW model is a lot worse. Parts are missing, as is to be expected with new graphics really, but the morphing isn't as extreme as it used to be, so you can't have fun with it. Not only that, but those sliders are so limited, it's really difficult to get real peoples face shapes.

Just taking the whole package at face value, even ignoring the cut down features like the match modes that Universe will book for you but are inexplicably missing from the menus and all the create modes, I still couldn't really recommend anyone to pick this up, especially at full price. Hell, unless they throw some patches in to correct some of this, I couldn't recommend it at $30.

8/10

Myggen

Giant Bomb reviewed it, gave it a 2/5

Where WWE 2K15 really suffers is in its feature set. Let’s just get the stuff that’s missing out of the way right now. A variety of match types are missing--mostly gimmick types like guest referee and inferno matches--and some of the more popular gimmick bouts can no longer be played with four players. Cuts are most sorely felt in the creation suite, which is as threadbare as any WWE game I can remember from the last decade. Create-a-belt, create-a-finisher, create-an-arena, and story creator modes are straight-up gone this year. Those first three are just kind of a bummer, but that last one is a real dagger for anyone who loved the admittedly stupid, yet kind of wonderful stories that editor let you build. That story editor is what allowed something like VGCW to worm its way into wrestling fans’ hearts over the last couple of years, it’s why the phrase “ghost problems” has become part of this very website’s lengthy lexicon of inside jokes. It was a beautifully busted thing that didn't necessarily need upgrading to justify its continued existence. Yet it is absent entirely in 2K15, and that absence is absolutely felt.

Rapstah

VGCW Bazza is currently playing this on stream... he got the William Regal retirement feud in myCareer mode, and in their final match, the finish was Bazza managing to kick out of the Power of the Punch at one, followed by Regal countering Bazza's finishing move and getting the pin. Emergent storytelling, 4½ star match.

Hasney

The match rating system is pretty shit, I either get 4.5 or 5 stars everytime in squash matches by hitting Suicide Tope, OMG through the announce table and thieving their finisher.

Hasney

So getting jumped before a match results in...the match starting normally?

But your energy is reduced!!!

Yeah, it's dumb, because other than the energy reducing, you're still posing like you're ready for the start of the match. It was better last year when you start outside the ring.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
So played a bit. Wrestlers look great. But ring etc and the surrounding lighting+pyros etc suck. Not sure if this game is 900p on xbone.

Regarding gameplay, there are very subtle changes which almost none of reviewers have mentioned like:
1. Wrestlers drag opponent near ring middle while hitting a move, making sure there's enough space.
2. The animations look very realistic now. Irish whip etc has good interaction with ropes.
3. Character specific movements. Noticed it with Hulk Hogan and Kane. They walk and take hits, run etc exactly like their real life counterparts. Uploading a video now, it will be more clear.
3. Hair is very improved. Still not perfect but way better than last gen. Check video to see.

Video:

Watch "WWE 2K15 Hulk Hogan vs Sting Xbox One gameplay" on YouTube - WWE 2K15 Hulk Hogan vs Sting Xbox One gameplay: http://youtu.be/2o8m7nn4hGM

Hogan no sells everything.

But your energy is reduced!!!

Yeah, it's dumb, because other than the energy reducing, you're still posing like you're ready for the start of the match. It was better last year when you start outside the ring.

2Kuality.

Also Big E just face-planted himself on Bazza's stream.

Hasney

Well it only took 12 hours, but I finally got a cutscene in career that was voiced. Sure, only Vickie spoke and not my guy or Cena, but still.

EDIT: Didn't know there were only 3 catching finishers.... And one is a tombstone which makes no sense.

Also, there's double finishers, so in a triple threat, you can give an AA, Chokeslam or Shellshock to 2 people at once.

3kuSaS

Unconfirmed Member

exactly, the game isnt perfect but it does somethings fantastically...some of of those things shit all over classics like no mercy and firepro. people there's good and bad with every wrestling game, including the aforementioned. well except Raw for xbox, there was no good with that.

Hasney

They've literally not put in menu items for matches that are in the game. Purposefully and without reason with the only reason that I can even think of being a bullet point for things added next year. I think the biggest problem with this game is that it fails to shit on even 2k14, let alone the classics.

Think it's been the worst reviewed WWE game in years at least, so there is some comeuppance.

3kuSaS

Unconfirmed Member
I spent 3,600 words talking about the game and didn't even list ALL of the game's flaws. What do you mean non-direct screencap? They're all taken directly from the game with a capture card, and I could throw more up from my PS4 - just haven't found a free thumb drive to throw them on. In the case of Cena, he looks like Willie after he asked Lunchlady Dorris to GREASE ME UP, WOMAN!

Lol yeah its a funny pic, but your knowingly posting a shot that doesn't due the game justice. we both know that in motion, Cena actually looks pretty perfect.

The games not that bad but I have/had two fairly major problems. I still can't access career and unless I've missed it they aren't directly addressing the problem on their board yet and I got stuck on the start up picture of John Cena and couldn't navigate out of it until I started up another game and it reset.

While I may think these games are not of the highest quality, I've never had anything game breaking before this entry.

dubq

Tag team matches are the fucking worst in this game. Seriously, they never stop trying to break the pin and your teammate is never on time to stop them from doing so.

Lrrr

Community manager just confirmed that if you win the WWE title, it fast forwards to your last match in career mode.

This may be a stupid question since it's Yukes, but is there a logical reason for this? I mean, isn't the point of career mode to win and, subsequently, defend the WWE title? To have the mode end immediately after winning the title is as anticlimactic as it can get.

I still couldn't really recommend anyone to pick this up, especially at full price. Hell, unless they throw some patches in to correct some of this, I couldn't recommend it at $30.

So not even $29.99? IYHO, what's it worth?

Destructoid 5/10

I will be the first to admit that I haven't played a wrestling game in quite some time. My memories of wrestling are of the cheesy but fun antics of Hulk Hogan, Diamond Dallas Page, Mankind, and the sort. To be honest, John Cena's angsty stare, which is plastered wherever the developers could find space for it, irritated me. However, I am certain that no matter how much things have changed, bad gameplay is the same now as it was then, and the questionable design decisions and performance of this game have a bargain-bin feel about them. If you're hankering for some good wrestling times, look elsewhere. This one's down for the count, even if you can play as Sheamus.

Hasney

This may be a stupid question since it's Yukes, but is there a logical reason for this? I mean, isn't the point of career mode to win and, subsequently, defend the WWE title? To have the mode end immediately after winning the title is as anticlimactic as it can get.

So not even $29.99? IYHO, what's it worth?

Well I'd say $30 if you wanted the trophy as that will take you some time, but $20 otherwise. It's a nice DVD of the 2 feuds in Showcase.

The nL breaking has begun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QywFG8hZgi8

Any idea when DLC will e available to purchase? I would like to get the season pass or just some DLC in general .... But I dont see anything.

I haven't started career mode yet. Playing Showcase mode now. It is pretty good, the stamina system and even the QTEs at the beginning of the matches are actually fun. The stamina system changes the animations considerably, like getting up after low stamina means your wrestler will crawl towards ropes and get up slowly, his running is slow, climbing top turnbuckle animation also changes, even the pinning animations change, like you just keep an arm on the downed opponent, just like it happens in WWE. Some wrestlers look OMFG great. Commentary is a mixed bag, sometimes its very generic, but sometimes its pretty awesome. I was playing Rybak vs Stone Cold in normal mode, and King and Cole were discussing a lot about Rybak, his debut, how he turned "villain", etc. It was pretty good. But many matches had meh commentary. I guess it will improve a lot next year.

An example of character specific animations is at 1:15 in my video. Hogan sells the punches to the back just like he does in real life. Its pretty awesome. Subtle changes like these are easily ignored by reviewers.

I haven't dived into Career or Universe, but to play one on one, this seems better than the Yukes games have ever been. With that said, some of the missing content is inexplicable and as a lot of people rely on that, I can see why the game has been marked down. I think it's a solid foundation - I dare say that if Yukes are going to remain involved, the core wrestling needs little work & that the next year would be best spent sweeping up bugs and restoring absent content rather than introducing awkward new gameplay bullet points.

evil ways

So, on PS4, trying to edit Warrior's attire, and it doesn't allow for the face paint colors to be edited, what's up with that!?

I've seen pics and videos of the last gen versions allowing you to edit Sting, Goldust and Warrior's face paint.

Hasney

Darren Young is an unsafe carny ass motherfucking worker

ThirdYawningDamselfly.gif

Top Bottom