• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the scene, was just surprised at it. It's funny her hating him when it's pretty likely that he's not even Ned's son.
She doesn't know that. Ned not talking about Jon's parent is one of the reasons she develops her dislike

Wh0 N0se

Did the scene somehow undo her unfair judgement of Jon?

I personally don't think it did. She prayed he would die, he caught a fever, she prayed he would survive, saying she'd love him if he did, he survived but she said that she couldn't bring herself to keep the promise.

Eidan

I personally don't think it did. She prayed he would die, he caught a fever, she prayed he would survive, saying she'd love him if he did, he survived but she said that she couldn't bring herself to keep the promise.

Yep. All the scene did was play up the fact that Catelyn feels a lot of guilt. I think the uproar it's caused is silly.

pr0cs

Yep. All the scene did was play up the fact that Catelyn feels a lot of guilt. I think the uproar it's caused is silly.

Well it didn't add a lot to the show, it was totally out of the ordinary since she never even once in all the books remarks about Jon save for the first book.

Instead of elaborating more on the many other stories or characters we got a scene that added nothing.

Eidan

Well it didn't add a lot to the show, it was totally out of the ordinary since she never even once in all the books remarks about Jon save for the first book.

Instead of elaborating more on the many other stories or characters we got a scene that added nothing.

It was about Catelyn's faith, her pettiness, and her overwhelming guilt. I thought it was a great character scene.

Cat already had plenty of humanity. Her unfair judgement of Jon was one of the interesting things about her character

None of it changed the fact that she still unfairly treats jon like shit. We still have no reasoning as to why she found herself unable to keep her word to treat him like her own son should he survive.

And yes, perhaps humanity was a bad choice of words, but my point is that it makes her less one dimensional which I like about it.

pr0cs

It was about Catelyn's faith, her pettiness, and her overwhelming guilt. I thought it was a great character scene.

Oh it was well acted, there is no question there.
When they have to cut or slim down other scenes that are more important that sucks.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
None of it changed the fact that she still unfairly treats jon like shit. We still have no reasoning as to why she found herself unable to keep her promise to treat him like her own son.

And yes, perhaps humanity was a bad choice of words, but my point is that it makes her less one dimensional which I like about it.
If she is one dimensional that's the shows fault. But using Jon isn't really the way to fix that

Eidan

Oh it was well acted, there is no question there.
When they have to cut or slim down other scenes that are more important that sucks.

What scene was cut or slimmed down for this scene?

The answer is that we have no clue, and no evidence to suggest that if this scene hadn't have existed, that the said cut or slimmed down scene wouldn't have been cut or slimmed down.

I think book readers drive themselves insane with this kind of thinking.

If she is one dimensional that's the shows fault. But using Jon isn't really the way to fix that

After season 2 I have already started to view the show more on its own as opposed to staying true to the book so little changes like this are welcome in my opinion. I would rather have this than Littlefinger wiping jizz off the mouth of whores...

pr0cs

What scene was cut or slimmed down for this scene?

The answer is that we have no clue, and no evidence to suggest that if this scene hadn't have existed, that the said cut or slimmed down scene wouldn't have been cut or slimmed down.

I think book readers drive themselves insane with this kind of thinking.

Ask me again when the season is over. It's too early to say.
In the previous seasons there have been numerous scenes that were added that added very little to the plot/series and stuff pulled out or seriously slimmed down when their gravity added so much to the scene/story/world.

There is no reason to think this season will be no different.

Cat has a lot of monologues in book 3, but absolutely none of them talk about Jon. This scene to me was a way to do a monologue but it wasn't even one that actually happened. Sorry but that's a waste.

Eidan

Ask me again when the season is over. It's too early to say.
In the previous seasons there have been numerous scenes that were added that added very little to the plot/series and stuff pulled out or seriously slimmed down when their gravity added so much to the scene/story/world.

There is no reason to think this season will be no different.

Cat has a lot of monologues in book 3, but absolutely none of them talk about Jon. This scene to me was a way to do a monologue but it wasn't even one that actually happened. Sorry but that's a waste.

This guy said it far better than I did.

And for many viewers it sympathizes who was becoming a very cold character and adds some depth to her interactions with Jon earlier in the series. ASOS
And knowing what comes it's incredibly bittersweet to hear her confession, presumably because not only would she likely never tell Jon but that she won't even get the chance to.
It's an incredibly touching moment. But all you guys do is get book blind and rage because it's "out of character" and completely "indefensible." Like it radically alters the fabric of the whole series.

One of the things the show has to grapple with that will be increasingly difficult these next few seasons is keeping the disparate stories connected somehow. This provided a humanizing moment for a character while also giving us a reminder of two characters' connection and a nice transition to the next scene with Jon. From a screenwriting perspective it was incredibly efficient and economical writing. Not an abomination. I don't care how accurate it was to book Catelyn.

Dysun

Honestly the critiquing of the TV show while the season airs is insane, any alteration is slammed by book purists. There is plenty of bad, but even the good gets wiped away with it.
I liked that Catelyn scene even if book Catelyn would never say that

CassSept

I somewhat liked the scene if only for the fact that it brings the element of her blaming herself for everything that happened to Stark family. It can't be directly translated to a TV show because we don't have insight into her thoughts in that setting. I'm glad that they brought that part of her personality into the show, even if it meant straying off the books.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly the critiquing of the TV show while the season airs is insane, any alteration is slammed by book purists. There is plenty of bad, but even the good gets wiped away with it.
I liked that Catelyn scene even if book Catelyn would never say that

Many book readers are flatly unable to comprehend that the book characters and the TV show characters aren't the exact same characters; events which occurred to Catelyn in the book simply don't exist in TV canon. Its not like they're actually there, but the showrunners are simply not showing them- they didn't happen in that canon. Whether or not that scene changes Catelyn's character is immaterial to the extent it affects some future event (which is, of course, hypothetical in the TV show since all sorts of stuff hasn't happened on the TV show that happened in the books.)

bengraven

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...t-ad_n_3046026.html?utm_hp_ref=books&ir=Books

Six and a half more weeks until

grinch.gif

Many book readers are flatly unable to comprehend that the book characters and the TV show characters aren't the exact same characters; events which occurred to Catelyn in the book simply don't exist in TV canon. Its not like they're actually there, but the showrunners are simply not showing them- they didn't happen in that canon. Whether or not that scene changes Catelyn's character is immaterial to the extent it affects some future event (which is, of course, hypothetical in the TV show since all sorts of stuff hasn't happened on the TV show that happened in the books.)

I hate the book readers, and I've read all the books.

A Stark on the streets but a wildling between the sheets.

lol amazing

Speaking of the last page and the new stuff from the show being canon or not, it brings up an interesting point.

I don't believe the show is canon, it's an adaption and has its right to tell a slightly different story with the ASOIAF characters and universe, but the show has the possibility to reveal things about the book series. A possible example could be this season with Robb naming an heir. Assuming he names an heir in the show, I doubt they will have him name one without discussing who it is, and considering the possible huge impact of Robb's heir later in the series, I don't think it's something that D&D would not have George's confirmation on.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This implies that she was already one-dimensional, which is flat-out wrong.

Nope, try again

It's so cute to see the apologists so thoroughly ignore the "purists"'s acknowledgements of the good changes and hand-wave away every stupid change made by the TV show in the name of "it's an adaptation!!", though. I swear, if they introduce alien robots, you'll have a few people defend it.

Dysun

When have you ever had anything good to say about the show?

Honest question, every time I see that avatar all I see is negativity. You would think D&D ripped out the holy sacred text of GRRM and set it ablaze

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not my fault you choose to engage in selective reading. :p
me said:
Very rarely, they improve on the books. Ned screaming "Baelor!" at Yoren where Arya was, was a nice touch. Theon attempting to defy his father (and being slapped for it) and calling Balon on his bullshit was great. The burning of Robb's letter was a powerful scene. The execution of Ser Rodrik was poignant and well played.

I could list others, or list the times I've defended the showrunners where others have criticized them (when the reasons were clearly budget or actors schedules and the likes) but what would be the point? People like you will just hand-wave it again, call me a purist or whatever, and say I hate everything, yadda-yadda. So eh, I guess I'll just wear the "annoying book purist" mantle proudly from now on. :D

Reyne

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1c07jw/spoilers_all_most_precise_asoiaf_timeline_in/

Awe-inspiring timeline of the events in the books. Obviously there are leaps, such as the precise dates which probably should be taken with salt. Either way, the general arrangement is very good and is definitively worth checking out. Probably as good a timeline we are ever like to get. Well, unless Martin chooses to publish his own, something I sincerely doubt since he has said in the past said he prefers to keep things like precise chronology in the dark so that he isn't called out on inconsistencies and etc. Which is why this is such an interesting piece of work.

Chris R

Can somebody remind me what is the fate of Jayne Westerling? Is she still alive? Did she have a hand in the RW?

Alive I believe. No she didn't have a hand in the Red Wedding, and she was being fed moon tea while married to Robb to prevent her from having his child.

Can somebody remind me what is the fate of Jayne Westerling? Is she still alive? Did she have a hand in the RW?

She is alive and on her way back to the Crag from Riverrun (there are orders to kill her should any party try and take her). It appears that she didn't have a role in the Red Wedding and was actually into Robb.

lingiii

Banned
She is alive and on her way back to the Crag from Riverrun (there are orders to kill her should any party try and take her). It appears that she didn't have a role in the Red Wedding and was actually into Robb.

can confirm as of end of Feast for Crows, which I just finished. Jaime sent her off packing, she almost certainly is not pregnant, unless Robb had megasperms

Joni

can confirm as of end of Feast for Crows, which I just finished. Jaime sent her off packing, she almost certainly is not pregnant, unless Robb had megasperms

One theory is that that is not Jeyne. Catelyn and Jaime give different descriptions about the girl.

lingiii

Banned
One theory is that that is not Jeyne. Catelyn and Jaime give different descriptions about the girl.

Eh. Catelyn and Jaime are different humans, Catelyn saw her as her queen and her son's lover, Jaime saw her as some disgraced simpering girl.

I suppose the real Jeyne could've gotten out, and preggers to boot, but the north is so fucked I don't really expect it'd make sense for the kid to have any kind of hope as a rallying banner for the north.

daripad

Different POVs but Catelyn's childbearing hips versus Jaime's narrow ones aren't something subjective like whether or not she was pretty.
Remember Cersei got big hips with time to the point that she is a bit fat. He like big big hips, and seeing Jeyne was small for him. Also she might have lost some weight due to her dead husband and everything that happened

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When have you ever had anything good to say about the show?

Honest question, every time I see that avatar all I see is negativity. You would think D&D ripped out the holy sacred text of GRRM and set it ablaze

Its not just the complaining that's tiresome, its the fact that he keeps pretending that GRRM supports him and hates all the changes.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't recall that confirmation either, but I wouldn't be surprised. GRRM loves to use the POVs as unreliable narrators (like Sansa remembering the Hound kissing her, when that never happened, it was done on purpose by the author), so a different description for Jeyne according to the POV wouldn't surprise me. Also, it's possible to lose weight, y'know...

Its not just the complaining that's tiresome, its the fact that he keeps pretending that GRRM supports him and hates all the changes.

Please post a link where I said anything like that. Kthxbai

I don't recall that confirmation either, but I wouldn't be surprised. GRRM loves to use the POVs as unreliable narrators (like Sansa remembering the Hound kissing her, when that never happened, it was done on purpose by the author), so a different description for Jeyne according to the POV wouldn't surprise me. Also, it's possible to lose weight, y'know...

The Hound kissed her before he left the city during the Battle of Blackwater.

Angry Grimace

Please post a link where I said anything like that. Kthxbai

You've implied it several times in the show thread, e.g. "GRRM's original script didn't have Mago die," as though that automatically means he disapproved of it but D&D did it anyways because they don't respect the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom