• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have my doubts that Martin really will abe able to adequately finish the series with just TWOW and ADOS. Robert Jordan apparently was dead serious that he could finish Wheel of Time with just a single book, but when Sanderson read the notes he was like, "there's no way" and ended up turning A Memory of Light into like three of them.

Yeah, I agree. After I finished Dance, I said 'no way that he can do this in just two more books'. I think an eighth book is all but a certainty at this point. There are too many different plots running at the current point, and the characters are too spread out.

Aiii

So not worth it
Martin is nto Robert Jordan.

People seem absoultely convinced Martin is on his deathbed or something.

He is very obese, he is quite old and he's taking 5+ year per book now, it's not an unrealistic scenario.

Lets hope he lives till he's a hundred and gives us this series and more books before all is said and done.

Aiii

So not worth it
He's 64, it's not like he's 80.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but people seem to think he's going to keel over any minute.

The average life expectancy for males in the US is like 75, so, once again accounting for his weight, really, it's not even that far fetched. It's why it keeps coming up.

Martin seems pretty healthy; he doesn't look sick, he's rich/good health care, and iirc his mother lived well into old age. And he's "only" 64. He's fine.

TWOW will be out next year or in 2015, believe. He can no longer fuck around due to the show.

Minus_Me

kgdWWRE.jpg

One of the best pictures ever.

Wh0 N0se

I think it's perfectly fair to ask that Martin share the results of his yearly physical in his blog.

Haha, that'd be fantastic.

Seriously people worry too much about his age/weight. He's not going to speed up unless he wants to, complaining about it is only going to stress him out even more, him enjoying himself means he'll be happier which in turn means a better health/condition.

It's likely TWOW will be out 2015/16 so he'll only be mid to late 60's then add another 5-7 years for ADOS and he's not going to be that old. People complain about this too much, he could be 30 and a runner and get hit by a bus or he could eat poorly and not excercise at all and end up 100, there's no telling what's going to happen so I don't know why people keep going on about it.

Que sera sera.

Yeah, I agree. After I finished Dance, I said 'no way that he can do this in just two more books'. I think an eighth book is all but a certainty at this point. There are too many different plots running at the current point, and the characters are too spread out.

It's possible there will be eight books but I don't think the characters are that spread out and most are currently converging on a few key points. Winterfell (most of the north), King's Landing (Aegon, Dorne), and Mereen (Dany, Tyrion, Victarion). After the battle of Winterfell and its aftermath the wall and Winterfell threads will converge. After the battle of Mereen and Dany's return King's Landing and Mereen should converge (this could take a while). The the north and south converge to finish dealing with the Others.

The only thing that worries me is the battle of Winterfell and Mereen being pushed back to book 6.

Larsa

Oh how I wish GRRM wrote at the insane pace of Steven Erikson. The Malazan Book of the Fallen series was finished in just under 12 years. 10 books and 11 000 pages.
They are also extremely high quality. Pretty much the only fantasy series I place beside or over ASOIAF.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Martin is nto Robert Jordan.

People seem absoultely convinced Martin is on his deathbed or something.

I'm not worried about him dying soon, per se. I'm more concerned that he'll really be 80 by the time he finishes A Time For Wolves, which will become necessary when A Dream of Spring can't contain the ending.

Besides, he's a pretty big dude, and dudes like that do sometimes just drop dead from heart attacks and such. If he knew in advance of his poor health I don't think he'd really be content to have no ending whatsoever to his magnum opus. I think he'd probably have a way to have the story conclude in some fashion or another.

Martin has two personal assistants, which kind of makes me chuckle. He's such a tech dinosaur that I'd imagine a lot of their job revolves around clicking links, copy/paste, etc lol. Awesome.

TCRS

Banned
Oh HELL no.

The Second Apocalypse is my second favourite fantasy series, right after ASOIAF. It's dark and grim, the philosophical tinge was new and interesting (to me at least) and Drusas Achamian has to be one of the best written characters ever. And Cnaiur.

Still waiting for the sixth book of both series.

Eidan

Fuck you. The price of a book doesn't entitle you to invade the author's privacy.

As an avid fan of two out of five Song of Ice and Fire books, I believe it is well within my rights to demand that Martin tell me the intimate details of his sex life.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh wow I thought that DOS/Wordstar4 comment was a joke
I need to imagine 80s PCs not 90s lol

I'm pretty sure he doesn't use an old CRT monitor though.

Well, actually...

I finished Dunk and Egg 3 (The Mystery Knight) over lunch. Best of the three. They're all good, though Sworn Sword is IMHO the weakest.

I then read a lot of history stuff (which I should not have done before Mystery Knight) and I'm all into this Bloodraven stuff. Why do people think he's still alive (as the Three-Eyed Crow or Coldhands) other than that it would be cool? Just that?

He is indeed very cool.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I finished Dunk and Egg 3 (The Mystery Knight) over lunch. Best of the three. They're all good, though Sworn Sword is IMHO the weakest.

I then read a lot of history stuff (which I should not have done before Mystery Knight) and I'm all into this Bloodraven stuff. Why do people think he's still alive (as the Three-Eyed Crow or Coldhands) other than that it would be cool? Just that?

He is indeed very cool.

He's the 3-Eyed crow all right. Too lazy to explain right now so here's the evidence:
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Three-eyed_crow/Theories

Edit: that reminds me, I need to turn the page on my ASoIaF calendar. :D April was this cool pic of Bran with the 3-eyed crow: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6uqsdT9Jx1qezj1no1_500.jpg

lingiii

Banned
The Second Apocalypse is my second favourite fantasy series, right after ASOIAF. It's dark and grim, the philosophical tinge was new and interesting (to me at least) and Drusas Achamian has to be one of the best written characters ever. And Cnaiur.

Fuck you, fantasy names.

bengraven

I want a full schedule of what he does every day. Like Benjamin Franklin wrote. I want to know when he wakes up, when he eats, what he eats, then I want to make fun of him for what he eats, then how long he's on the phone, and most importantly, how long he's writing.

I'm fucking owed this as a guy who bought the first four books at deep discount.

HE WORKS FOR ME FUCKER.

Dresden

The philosophical stuff was probably the worst part about the original trilogy--thankfully it gets toned down later on. It works if you consider it as part of the messianic package Kellhus is selling to the soldiers, but you can tell that the author considered it something more than that.

I think, for all its flaws, the way it handles the macro transition of the in-universe Crusade from what's essentially an orthodoxy into the very Fanim they set out to subdue is what made PoN so readable. Drawing liberally from history was a bonus for me, too, balls deep as I was in history of that period.

Bakker draws from history too much. If I wanted to read a summary of the First Crusade, I'd just reread one of my history books. Though his treatment of women is what really disturbed me. The rape fetishism, the victim-hood and complete lack of agency of every female character. Kelhius also comes off as completely unconvincing. Bakker being a smug prick online didn't raise my opinion either, he's got a bit of Goodkind to him.

desh

Which apparently wasn't needed at all, two would have been more than enough, based on reviews I read of the last volume...
I read the entire series, and the Branderson books were some of the most fast paced books of the series. I'm not sure it could have been done in two books.

Reyne

Haha, this talk of Martin using outdated stuff reminds me of this.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010202070400/http://georgerrmartin.com/
What one might expect from a simple website in 2001...

http://web.archive.org/web/20130318163746/http://georgerrmartin.com/
Not what one would expect from a website in 2013... They never really changed the general design until a little over a month ago.

Either way, while I can understands some of the frustration and fear fans have with Martin's pace and well, constitution. Though these concerns does seem a bit hollow when you think that what they want is closure for the books, or whatever it is that drives these people to be fans of these books.
Yes, I want closure too, but not to the point that it outweighs a good book. And to suggest that GRRM should hurry up and rush these books because he might die tomorrow, heath-related or not, seem rather disrespectful to the author and his immediate family.
If it really is closure people want, I am sure the TV series will deliver that in due time, or whatever. But if it is one delivered in a good book by GRRM, as intended by him, you are just gonna have to wait for it. Who knows, maybe you could go and do something productive while you wait, or whatever. There are more books out there, if you like a good read, than anyone could read in a life-time. If its just closure you want... then well, like I said there is always the TV series, I guess.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Martin's writing ouput is less affected by his equipment, and more affected by the fact that he'll write a bunch of stuff without mapping out stuff.

See all of the stuff he wrote for AFFC/ADWD that involved a timeskip, oh wait don't see it because he ended up throwing it out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ This. It has nothing to do with the electronic equipment. He's just... slow. A "gardener". Sigh. :| Why can't he be a productive prolific writer like Robin Hobb.. xD

Reyne

^ This. It has nothing to do with the electronic equipment. He's just... slow. A "gardener". Sigh. :| Why can't he be a productive prolific writer like Robin Hobb.. xD

Because Martin is... Martin and not Robin Hobb :|

His writing style is probably well-grounded in him not having an exact layout and plan for each chapter, but rather some simple guidelines. It probably has its up and down. Like Trojita said, worst case scenario is that he ends up scrapping years worth of material. But then, if he forced himself out of his comfort-zone and rigorously stuck to a plan then we would probably lose the charm of the books which I think is Martin's intuitiveness. Or maybe he is just lazy. Who knows.

Just finished Dance with Dragons AND had my account approved, today was a good day. I really liked the final chapter, raised so many questions - Dany maybe finding the riders for her army, getting her "moon's blood" though I can't remember if she's had it since she became infertile...

Found it strange that it was titled Daenerys though, I love how GRRM uses ambiguous titles like The Prince of Winterfell, A Ghost in Winterfell etc. when it's unclear if someone has died or not. I suppose it's less of an issue because even without the title I'm sure most people assumed she was alive.

lingiii

Banned
can't put the Prince that Was Promised on ice, Junior.

before your account can be properly approved, let me ask you this: Howland Reed--best character or greatest character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom