• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all boils down to how the TV series will deal with AFFC/ADWD. If they are faithful to the source material and go about in the current pace, then the TV series will not pass the books for another three years or so. ( Season 6, 2016 perhaps? ) I figure Winds of Winter will come late 2015/ early 2016. So the TV series is probably going to pass the books then, if not earlier.
Well, I have no idea how they are planning to proceed with the TV series after ASOS is done. If the TV series doesn't have the source material to rely on anymore, but just a general guideline and conclusion as revealed by Martin then its probably going to differ quite a lot from how it eventually unfolds in the books.
I do hope it doesn't come to that though. This could be avoided if Martin worked some magic and released WOW early/mid 2015 and some more magic with releasing DoS in 2017/2018 or so, with the TV series and books reaching their conclusion at the same time. Oh well...

I expect them to combine AFFC and ADWD together and do three seasons. That's gonna be a shit ton of characters per season, though. So optimistically, if WoW takes two seasons it'll end around season 9 in 2019 and DoS would have to come out by the end of 2018 for the show guys to prepare for season 10.

2014 ASOS
2015 AFFC and ADWD - WoW releases?
2016 AFFC and ADWD
2017 AFFC and ADWD
2018 WoW - DoS releases?
2019 Wow

Pretty much the only possible timeline where it works out, and it's a super stretch. I dunno, man, it's looking grrm :-(

They've said that they don't plan on doing more major expansions to the cast size, so that means ADWD in particular is going to be heavy changed when adapted. That should be no surprise, ADWD has so many locations that it's basically unfilmable on a TV budget. 3 seasons for AFFC/ADWD looks highly unlikely. 2 seasons would be enough once it gets trimmed down.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The show isn't going to get 10 seasons either. It's going to get more expensive, harder to keep the expanded cast, and so forth. Didn't most sign on for 4-6 seasons or something?

I still don't see this show passing the Feast/Dance hump. I think that is when ratings are going to crash.

cj_iwakura

I have no idea how the show will pull off the Walk of Shame from AFFC. And I agree, unless they blend the two books(highly likely), that's going to hurt ratings after the madness of ASOS.

I have no idea how the show will pull off the Walk of Shame from AFFC. And I agree, unless they blend the two books(highly likely), that's going to hurt ratings after the madness of ASOS.

No way in hell they separate the books. People would lose their shit with half the cast gone. They also better get some good-ass actors for the Dorne parts because that shit was boring as hell.

"Stop being a bitch uncle! They killed Snake Man! wahh wahh wahh"

Also, they should get that dude from the mummy to play oberyn.

oded_fehr_99.jpg

The show isn't going to get 10 seasons either. It's going to get more expensive, harder to keep the expanded cast, and so forth. Didn't most sign on for 4-6 seasons or something?

I still don't see this show passing the Feast/Dance hump. I think that is when ratings are going to crash.

They will probably stick to a 7-8 season length, regardless of how much they'll have to cut out and rewrite from the books.
It's just too risky trying to stay true to the books if that leads to ballooning length and increase of non-TV suitable parts.

The books will be completed in a suitable time frame for the show to follow.

I'm well aware of GRRM's writing issues, but the simple fact of the matter is that he has to get them done. He knows it, and has known it for several years now.

I'm well aware of GRRM's writing issues, but the simple fact of the matter is that he has to get them done. He knows it, and has known it for several years now.

He doesn't have to do anything, the show will go on regardless of what he does. I don't see how extra motivation is going to matter when it's not like he had any reason to lack that in the past.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

all the motivation in the world won't make a difference when you have an invite to a fantasy convention in uzbekistan.

He doesn't have to do anything, the show will go on regardless of what he does. I don't see how extra motivation is going to matter when it's not like he had any reason to lack that in the past.

There's no way Martin wants the show to surpass him or start filming unreleased content. That alone is motivation for him. ASOIAF is his baby but HBO will have the contractual option to film unreleased and new material if the show continues to be a success; there's no way HBO will take a one year "hiatus" to wait for him. I'm sure Martin "likes" the show but as an author, the last thing he'd want is for it to surpass his pace/position.

The later half of ASOS will certainly be mixed with parts of AFFC/ADWD. For instance we could see Joffery's death, Tyrion's trial, the death of Tywin, and a cliff hanger with Tyrion learning he's going to meet Dany (trollolol). Also Tywin's funeral/Jaime's vigil.

Randdalf

There's no way Martin wants the show to surpass him or start filming unreleased content. That alone is motivation for him. ASOIAF is his baby but HBO will have the contractual option to film unreleased and new material if the show continues to be a success; there's no way HBO will take a one year "hiatus" to wait for him. I'm sure Martin "likes" the show but as an author, the last thing he'd want is for it to surpass his pace/position.

The later half of ASOS will certainly be mixed with parts of AFFC/ADWD. For instance we could see Joffery's death, Tyrion's trial, the death of Tywin, and a cliff hanger with Tyrion learning he's going to meet Dany (trollolol). Also Tywin's funeral/Jaime's vigil.

They'd better bring back the original Mountain for that.

I have a hard time seeing anything aside from the Kingsmoot getting mixed in with Season 4. Pretty much every character ends Storm of Swords on a perfect note, and I think those endings would all work pretty perfectly as the season finale.

Wh0 N0se

I have a hard time seeing anything aside from the Kingsmoot getting mixed in with Season 4. Pretty much every character ends Storm of Swords on a perfect note, and I think those endings would all work pretty perfectly as the series finale.

:p

I suppose it's likely that they'll renew it.

I believe in you George! You can do it!!

Gvaz

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57420844]Want has nothing to do with it. He's said himself that he's a slow writer and he isn't going to allow the show to affect his writing.[/QUOTE]

That means there will end up being two things: the show, and the books. book readers wont be that happy

Wh0 N0se

That's not strictly true though is it because George said in the panel that he thought he had a buffer between the show and the next book and that the gap was closing quickly and he'd better hurry up.

Aiii

So not worth it
After next year we'll have at least 3 seasons based on the books in which very little big events happen, I would imagine this will cause viewership to drop. With the budget this series has, that might become an issue for HBO. This show does need to hit big numbers in subcribers and DVD/blu-ray sales to be profitable for them, after all.

I wonder if they're going to add some battles/events every season to keep things interesting, since viewers are going to get used toig shocking events around episode z9.

golem

After next year we'll have at least 3 seasons based on the books in which very little big events happen, I would imagine this will cause viewership to drop

Plenty of big events happen, but many at the same time and towards the end of AFFC/ADWD. The show runners just need to figure out how to stagger them to keep interest high (Im guessing AFFC/ADWD will only be two seasons too)

Some major moments off the top of my head

Mance and Theon
Jon's betrayal (Ep. 9 worthy)
Young Griff (Ep. 10 worthy)
Cersi's trial
Quentyn/Meeren (Ep. 9 worthy)
Aryas training
Bran and the green seer
Varys and Kevan (Ep 10 worthy)
Lady Stoneheart and Brienne (Ep 10 worthy)

One strange question that is nagging me since a few weeks (since the TV-series touched the subject): Has it been established that Robert beat Rhaegar fair and square at the trident?

We know that the armies were evenly matched and it was Rhaegar's death that made the loyalist's lose the battle and the war. Sure Rheagar war missing his best friends and swords during the battle of the trident and thus was at a disadvantage. But somehow I can't believe that Rhaegar was beaten that easily by Robert. And Mormont's quote - "Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died." - make's me think there is more to it.

I know it was established that Rhaegar was not the best fighter in the realm, but the whole battle of the trident seems so wrong to me...

Wh0 N0se

I think Robert did fight fairly, he was a massive man with a giant war hammer and it shattered Rhaegar's armour when they fought in single combat.

All we know is that Rhaegar was stuck down by Robert's warhammer. I don't see any problem with Rhaegar being defeated by Robert, Robert was a fearsome warrior in his prime. And the rebel army was commanded by Ned and Jon Arryn.

Reyne

One strange question that is nagging me since a few weeks (since the TV-series touched the subject): Has it been established that Robert beat Rhaegar fair and square at the trident?

We know that the armies were evenly matched and it was Rhaegar's death that made the loyalist's lose the battle and the war. Sure Rheagar war missing his best friends and swords during the battle of the trident and thus was at a disadvantage. But somehow I can't believe that Rhaegar was beaten that easily by Robert. And Mormont's quote - "Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died." - make's me think there is more to it.

I know it was established that Rhaegar was not the best fighter in the realm, but the whole battle of the trident seems so wrong to me...

What seems wrong? Rhaegar and Robert met and engaged in combat. Rhaegar wounded Robert, probably with a sword, but Robert had a warhammer and all he needed was one good blow and he got it. Rubies flew. Rhaegar died.
I imagine the 'fought valiantly, nobly and honorably' part simply means that Rhaegar wanted to face and defeat Robert in single combat. It is a risky thing to do, but honorably and whoever wins is almost guaranteed victory. Something less honorably would be to have a group of crossbow men shot down Robert, which I doubt Rhaegar would have accepted.

Joni

At the moment I think it is more of a warning that sometimes you need to do things that aren't as noble, that it is noble to go out against a better fighter, but that it is not always the best choice. Rhaegar knew he would be outmatched, but still made the noble choice to fight Robert.

What seems wrong?

That one character that has been shown to be very capable in just about anything he does lose against one that has been shown to be very incapable at anything he tries to do.

And we know that Robert did not care about HOW his goals were achieved. So I asked if anyone thinks that there is some kind of hint that someone aided Robert.

But yeah you are right, the only remarkable thing that has been established about Robert is that he was good with his hammer.

Wh0 N0se

That one character that has been shown to be very capable in just about anything he does lose against one that has been shown to be very incapable at anything he tries to do.

And we know that Robert did not care about HOW his goals were achieved. So I asked if anyone thinks that there is some kind of hint that someone aided Robert.

But yeah you are right, the only remarkable thing that has been established about Robert is that he was good with his hammer.

and eating.

FootballFan

Robert Baratheon in his youth, was a terrifying warrior. He was a lean mean Rhaegar into the trident smashing machine.

Aiii

So not worth it
Maybe the show can do a prequel season about the rebellion for one year so George can complete his writing without them catching up.

Joni

Robert Baratheon in his youth, was a terrifying warrior. He was a lean mean Rhaegar into the trident smashing machine.
Indeed. We don't know everything about young Robert, but we know the guy was a beast with a hammer.

"They said Robert Baratheon was strong as a bull and fearless in battle, a man who loved nothing better than war"
"Robert... He is in my dreams as well. Laughing. Drinking. Boasting. Those were the things he was best at. Those, and fighting. I never bested him at anything"
"If he couldn't fuck it, fight it or drink it, it bored him"

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

It was a battle. How could he have not fought 'fairly'? Hit Rhaegar with his hammer when Rhaegar called for time out? I think you're underselling Robert. Nowhere in the books was he shown to be "incapable at anything he tries to do", he was a great warrior who won the crown and did whatever he wanted, which was get fat and laid. It's almost universally remarked on what a force of nature he was in his youth, by contrast Rhaegar was bookish and uninterested in combat until he decided he was meant to be a great fighter, upon which he apparently drastically improved and won some jousts. But he and Robert weren't jousting.

Plenty of big events happen, but many at the same time and towards the end of AFFC/ADWD. The show runners just need to figure out how to stagger them to keep interest high (Im guessing AFFC/ADWD will only be two seasons too)

Some major moments off the top of my head

Mance and Theon
Jon's betrayal (Ep. 9 worthy)
Young Griff (Ep. 10 worthy)
Cersi's trial
Quentyn/Meeren (Ep. 9 worthy)
Aryas training
Bran and the green seer
Varys and Kevan (Ep 10 worthy)
Lady Stoneheart and Brienne (Ep 10 worthy)
I wonder when is the earliest Quentyn can show up. I wonder if they'll make him bigger on TV than in the books.

Maybe the show can do a prequel season about the rebellion for one year so George can complete his writing without them catching up.

GRRM said on his blog a Roberts Rebellion series will most likely never happen, but we might end up seeing Dunk & Egg in some form

http://grrm.livejournal.com/311788.html?thread=17247724#t17247724

Tuf would be fun. Dunk and Egg are being discussed. Robert's Rebellion is part of Ice & Fire, won't be a separate series. Sandkings was done by the OUTER LIMITS; I retain feature film rights, but television rights are gone.

I'd prefer that though. Dunk & Egg movies would be amazing

Wubby

I bet a prequel would spoil too much unless some of the stuff was already revealed by then. Jon being the love child of Rhaegar and Lyanna and who knows what else.

Wh0 N0se

NOOOOOOOOOO.
:(

I've just realised I'm on holiday when the RW episode is aired :(

You've got to post the reactions so I can see them when I get back!!!

Aiii

So not worth it
NOOOOOOOOOO.
:(

I've just realised I'm on holiday when the RW episode is aired :(

You've got to post the reactions so I can see them when I get back!!!

This is a forum.

Posts don't disappear as more are made you know. It'll be as if your reading it live!

hemtae

He told Jaime that he would do something about Aerys when he got back. He probably wouldn't have taken another wife right after a big rebellion.

So does anyone have any dream castings?

I posted mine in the tv show thread, and I know it's sorta...bad, but I would love Cumberbatch to play the Red Viper. Seriously. I know, he's pale, but that voice, the snakey look about him....

/might be a bit crazy.

You're crazy. :)

I like Cumberbatch but don't see him as the Red Viper at all. That's about as likely as casting Mark Addy as Sansa.

Red Viper has got to be a bit older. I always pictured the Martells as being darker skinned, like Middle eastern or olive skinned.

Oded Fehr would be great:
WfvRa0P.jpg

Alexander Siddig would be pretty good too:
oBcCUWT.jpg

Not too worried about the casting for the show though, as they've done a pretty phenomenal job with casting so far.

Dysun

He told Jaime that he would do something about Aerys when he got back. He probably wouldn't have taken another wife right after a big rebellion.

Ah yeah, that's why I kept thinking about deposing of his father. I'm still curious how Elia and Lyanna would have worked out together. A King can do as he likes I guess

You're crazy. :)

I like Cumberbatch but don't see him as the Red Viper at all. That's about as likely as casting Mark Addy as Sansa.

Red Viper has got to be a bit older. I always pictured the Martells as being darker skinned, like Middle eastern or olive skinned.

Oded Fehr would be great:
WfvRa0P.jpg

Alexander Siddig would be pretty good too:
oBcCUWT.jpg

Not too worried about the casting for the show though, as they've done a pretty phenomenal job with casting so far.

Haha, Oded Fehr was who I imagined the Red Viper as. I always thought the Dornish were supposed to be Middle Eastern-like.

The Red Viper will only be in a few episodes, so the pool of available actors would be larger because of the smaller commitment. It'll be interesting to see who they get.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The Red Viper will only be in a few episodes, so the pool of available actors would be larger because of the smaller commitment. It'll be interesting to see who they get.

I did as well, but upon re-read I'm thinking that they're meant to be closer to the Southern Italy/Greece side of the Mediterranean (more olive skin but not as dark in hair/complexion as most Middle Easterns).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom