• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot on PS5 - Virtually Flawless - Digital Foundry Tech Review

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Summary coming...

- One of the best platformers and one of the few that can stand toe-to-toe with the best Nintendo has to offer
- Flawless technical execution
- 1440p to 2160p using dynamic resolution scaling
- The great AA makes the IQ clean and polished. No artifacts or ghosting
- Locked 60fps without any dips
- Super fast load times between levels, with seamless transitions
- Impressive physics and fluid dynamics
- Beautiful physically-based materials make for gorgeous visuals
- High-quality depth of field
- Art design and creativity take center stage. No super advanced techniques like ray tracing, but the game looks wonderful
- HDR implementation is fine, not allowing the player to fine tune the brightness and darkness
- Best use of the DualSense so far, even better than Astro's Playroom
- Every footstep, rain droplet, and other interactions have haptic feedback. It's possible to guess what kind of surface you're walking on even if you close your eyes
- Gyro controls have entire mechanics built specifically around them (doesn't want to spoil)
- Microphone is also used in certain sections
- Controls feel good and rhythmic
- Every level feels distinct and special due to the sheer variety of power-ups
- Lots of references to PlayStation's history such as levels, mechanics, and transformations
- 80+ tracks soundtrack with very catchy tunes
- Fantastic game that fully leverages the feature set of the PS5 and its controller
- One of John's favorite games this gen

tld;dr it's an okay game. Buy it. Thanks.

Last edited:

XXL

I'm an atheïst.

God is real.
Congratulations Winning GIF by Audible

[Sigma]

Had to stop watching when it started getting to the physics part. Felt like it was already starting to show me too much for some reason lol.

Last edited:

Fess

I'm an atheïst.

God is real.
I’m not an atheist
Devil is realer

I don’t want to buy games on PS5 now, just means I’ll buy everything twice since they come to PC too. But they make it so hard to keep that strategy! I can’t do this! If I end up buying it twice then so be it! Game looks so good! 🥹

GymWolf

Gold Member
I guess that basic water tech inferior to a 2018 game, basic sand\snow tech and basic havok with many objects on screen from oblivion era now are considered unbelievable physics...

The leaf part was the best, but wukong does the same so hardly unbelievable.

Stay clickbaity df, never change:lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Truly something magical. I'll dare say this is more fun than I've had in any Mario game in years. What he said about reminding him about why he loves games made total sense to me.

Really glad they were able to make a full game and I look forward to a bright future from them.

I guess that basic water tech inferior to a 2018 game, basic sand\snow tech and basic havok with many objects on screen from oblivion era now are considered unbelievable physics...

The leaf part was the best, but wukong does the same so hardly unbelievable.

Stay clickbaity df, never change:lollipop_squinting:
He never said it was unbelievable physics... he said it was pretty cool and helps give the player more meaning while reaoming in the landscape. After all, not many games have physics nowadays, only the basic stuff.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My god this seems incredible. THIS is a video game in its purest form. I hope this does very well.

The only thing I don't like is that John keeps saying "platform game" (he always does this). Maybe that is technically correct, but it feels wrong. Platforming game. Platformer. Those feel right.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
He never said it was unbelievable physics... he said it was pretty cool and helps give the player more meaning while reaoming in the landscape. After all, not many games have physics nowadays, only the basic stuff.
The stamp on the video literally says unbelievable physics when the physics part start, i didn't wrote that for sure.

It's not a knack on the game, i just hate how fucking exagerate df is in every video, they always do this shit and never miss to make me laugh :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

rm082e

I have no time to play this game right now, but I want to buy it at full price to "vote with my wallet".

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The stamp on the video literally says unbelievable physics when the physics part start, i didn't wrote that for sure.

It's not a knack on the game, i just hate how fucking exagerate df is in every video, they always do this shit and never miss to make me laugh :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Well, TBF very few games have the amount of physics objects at any one time displayed in this video. It might not be super advanced physics, but it does look cool as hell. Plus, physically simulated liquids, that's even more rare.

Dr.D00p

This thing would look astonishing if it were fully path traced.

Maybe we can hope for a modded PC version running on a 5080/90 in 12-18mths time 😉

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So ps5 pro will basically deliver locked 4k.

I can live with my standard to be honest.

Game sounds like legit insanely good. Best pack in game to first true ps5 exclusive that will show off all the features of the system better than any other game.

I love it already!

PatientGamer

Gold Member
if you guys want Sony et al to stop developing GaaS shit, then you need to support great games in droves like this. We did it with Wukong, we can surely do the same with this. Feels like the industry is literally depending on it, otherwise we'll get more Marvel/DC GaaS + uninspiring titles + remasters reusing IP from 20+ years ago.

Buy the goddamn game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This thing would look astonishing if it were fully path traced.

Maybe we can hope for a modded PC version running on a 5080/90 in 12-18mths time 😉
My guess is they'll add ray tracing in the Pro version and port it to PC later on with perhaps even better rt.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear they reused some of the music from prior games. Unfortuantly I only bought the base version for PS5, so no soundtracks.
If and when this comes to PC I'll buy the delux edition to get the soundtracks.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well, TBF very few games have the amount of physics objects at any one time displayed in this video. It might not be super advanced physics, but it does look cool as hell. Plus, physically simulated liquids, that's even more rare.
Sure it looks cool, but looking cool doesn't mean having advanced tech, let alone unbelievable.

We trolled the people who were posting starfield videos where with an editor you can spawn many objects to fill a spaceship, neat, but the tech behind is still good ol havok from what? 15 years ago or more?

And fluid simulation are just fancy work for basic ripples and shit, type rdr2 water physics gif on google, go in the img page and look at the gif with him on the horse doing a couple of turns in a small amount of water and look what the water does next, that is "unbelievable" physics, and 6 years old...

Again not a knack on the game that looks great, just the usual df that can't go 5 min without hyperboles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom