• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

pa22word

You said this reminds you of those other times, but it's nothing like them as I reasoned above.

I've clarified my position on this multiple times. If you're just going to continue getting bogged down in the minutia of which portions I was responding to I see no reason to continue discussing this with you.

kinggroin

Banned
When did you start PC gaming exactly?

I've seen sentiments around here suggesting that people want to see super high-end PC games that push rigs to the limits. Which company would be foolish enough to do that? A game where even the highest of the high-end could not deliver 60fps would be amazing indeed but I'd imagine most people would flip out over the fact that they couldn't hit the target frame-rate. Would the market support such a game? Seems to me that the majority of "modern" PC gamers actually just prefer enhanced console ports that run at high frame-rates. Nobody wants a true PC game in the classic sense. Who's willing to pull an Origin circa 1995 and release something that just destroys every PC on the market?

I want another Crysis situation honestly Dark. That game sold over a million on a small budget no? It also scaled enough to allow mid range systems to play it on lowered settings, and had legs to let high end rigs show it off even years later.

Not saying ALL games on PC should be of this nature, but I like these kind of releases every once in a while.

Star Citizen may fit the bill. We'll see.

GrazGamer

Spineless is exactly how I would describe this behavior. I don't go out and buy the same chair from another retailer when the one I bought from walmart was of shit quality. I just don't buy that brand of chair again as it's clear that the manufacturer doesn't really give a shit about quality.

Except your analogy is wrong, some of us bought a superior version of your "chair", created by a different manufacturer, because we really wanted that chair in the best quality possible.

Let's also not forgot this is a very highly rated game in a fantastic series, on other platforms, and from a highly respected developer.

Some of us wanted to play it in the best way possible and if that mean't buying for a different platform so be it. I'm not missing out on this great game.

Zakalwe

Banned
I've clarified my position on this multiple times. If you're just going to continue getting bogged down in the minutia of which portions I was responding to I see no reason to continue discussing this with you.

No, you posted an irrelevant comparison so you could take an opportunity to act superior, and doubled down when called on it.

There is no point continuing to discuss this, you're right.

greg400

Banned
Really curious to see how the SteamOS/Linux and OS X versions of this game end up turning out. I know Feral is working on the OS X version, probably Linux as well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I want another Crysis situation honestly Dark. That game sold over a million on a small budget no? It also scaled enough to allow mid range systems to play it on lowered settings, and had legs to let high end rigs show it off even years later.

Not saying ALL games on PC should be of this nature, but I like these kind of releases every once in a while.

Star Citizen may fit the bill. We'll see.
I want that too but I feel that a lot of people new to PC gaming wouldn't get it and flip out when they can't hit 60fps. I've been PC gaming since 1991 but i suspect many started in the last 5 years...

pa22word

Except your analogy is wrong, some of us bought a superior version of your "chair", created by a different manufacturer, because we really wanted that chair in the best quality possible.
No, you just bought the equivalent of the chair without armrests that doesn't fall apart when you sit down on it because the one with arm rests from the same manufacturer falls apart after a week of usage.

Believe whatever you want, I don't really care.

I posted that because, as others obviously have noticed as well, there's been a tendency for people to run to the console versions of games when their PC can't just max the sliders on the game, and then settle for a lesser experience in the process.

Just because that doesn't strictly apply to BAK doesn't mean we can't talk about it in this thread. You being such a stickler for staying on topic in a thread that has strayed far from the original intent of thread in the first place is pretty silly.

kinggroin

Banned
I want that too but I feel that a lot of people new to PC gaming wouldn't get it and flip out when they can't hit 60fps. I've been PC gaming since 1991 but i suspect many started in the last 5 years...

On this board? You're probably right.

It wasn't until, what, 2009/10 when GAF really started having a prominent PC gaming crowd? Most of it I assume was due to the gen going on longer than some wanted, and PC hardware vastly outclassing consoles. so it was like a little preview of next-gen before next-gen started.

pa22word

On this board? You're probably right.

Probably is being a little generous.

Stop by any early 8th gen big budget game and you'll see people throwing their arms up in the air and bitching about not being able to "max" the game, and promising to "buy the ps4 version" because of it.

It's there for everyone to read in total clarity.

Yet the only one acting so upset by it and taking it as a defense of BAK in this thread is you.

I wonder why that is?

There is a contingent of people who will get upset, they got upset when one setting on Shadow of Mordor required > 4GB Vram. It's the idea that they "deserve" to max a game since they payed a certain number of dollars. Mentally, it's like something was taken away from them, rather than something that was given to people who do have the hardware to run it.

These people should be ignored and the devs should give us crazy high end features that aren't really designed to be played today, but are sort of there to give the game a bit of scaling into the future. The thing is, you have to communicate an intent like this clearly, and game graphics menus could go a LONG way towards being more user friendly, with each setting having a little explanation menu next to it that gives a bit of an expectation of what requirements that setting has, what performance impact it has, and what the intent of that setting is. Currently it's like a dry config page on 99% of all games, rarely do we even get something like a VRAM budget or more than a single terse line of text to explain what the setting is.

Zakalwe

Banned
Probably is being a little generous.

Stop by any early 8th gen big budget game and you'll see people throwing their arms up in the air and bitching about not being able to "max" the game, and promising to "buy the ps4 version" because of it.

That is not what's happening here.

Jesus man...

There is a contingent of people who will get upset, they got upset when one setting on Shadow of Mordor required > 4GB Vram. It's the idea that they "deserve" to max a game since they payed a certain number of dollars. Mentally, it's like something was taken away from them, rather than something that was given to people who do have the hardware to run it.

These people should be ignored and the devs should give us crazy high end features that aren't really designed to be played today, but are sort of there to give the game a bit of scaling into the future. The thing is, you have to communicate an intent like this clearly, and game graphics menus could go a LONG way towards being more user friendly, with each setting having a little explanation menu next to it that gives a bit of an expectation of what requirements that setting has, what performance impact it has, and what the intent of that setting is. Currently it's like a dry config page on 99% of all games, rarely do we even get something like a VRAM budget or more than a single terse line of text to explain what the setting is.

I think there should be an "I want to believe" poster regarding Star Citizen.

pa22word

That is not what's happening here.

Jesus man...

And, for about the tenth time now, I'm not talking about directly about BAK with that comment.

For fucks sake man, there are multiple other posters on this page disusing this same line of reasoning without drawing explicit comparisons to Arkham Knight.

GrazGamer

No, you just bought the equivalent of the chair without armrests that doesn't fall apart when you sit down on it because the one with arm rests from the same manufacturer falls apart after a week of usage.

Perhaps, but it is still the best version available right now and with no real assurance that anything better is coming any time soon.

I am as gutted as anyone about the PC release being the state it's in, this was my most anticipated game this year and my summer gaming sewn up.

I could have waited to see what can be done with the PC release but bottom line for me, I really wanted to play it now not in a month or so.

kinggroin

Banned

You, that's a good point. If devs would better explain feature settings, it could go a long way towards shaping expectations. Maybe have some settings explicitly detail they are meant for top end GPUs or future hardware. Class them in a category that's clearly name to indicate it.

Helznicht

"They fucked up the pc version, i'll show my outrage buying the game again on consoles!"

Seems legit

Game is already bloody cheap on pc (keys go for 17$ now) i'll just wait until they fix their shit up and buy it at the cheapest possible price, i'm no hurry to give them money :)

Where can I find one of these $17 keys?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Why are some people pushing the PS4 version of Arkham Knight so hard in this thread? Getting the game for PS4 doesn't fix the problems with the PC version. Claiming it's a viable alternative doesn't contribute anything at all to the discussion. And I'm sure it would be an instant ban if it was the other way around in a PS4 thread...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Where can I find one of these $17 keys?

There are websites that deal in keys taken from unused physical stock, but this is not something any publisher endorses and so you run the risk of being SOL if your key is deactivated at a later date -- Valve won't help as you bought the game outside of Steam (it sees exactly $0.00 from retail keys) and the publisher won't help as you bought it from an unauthorised source, which leaves you at the mercy of the reseller.

Evo X

Why are some people pushing the PS4 version of Arkham Knight so hard in this thread? Getting the game for PS4 doesn't fix the problems with the PC version. Claiming it's a viable alternative doesn't contribute anything at all to the discussion. And I'm sure it would be an instant ban if it was the other way around in a PS4 thread...

Agreed. Some people are extremely impatient. I will happily wait for the PC version to be fixed, as once it is, it will definitely be a superior experience than the PS4. Have plenty of other games to play in the meantime.

MaLDo

When did you start PC gaming exactly?

I've seen sentiments around here suggesting that people want to see super high-end PC games that push rigs to the limits. Which company would be foolish enough to do that? A game where even the highest of the high-end could not deliver 60fps would be amazing indeed but I'd imagine most people would flip out over the fact that they couldn't hit the target frame-rate. Would the market support such a game? Seems to me that the majority of "modern" PC gamers actually just prefer enhanced console ports that run at high frame-rates. Nobody wants a true PC game in the classic sense. Who's willing to pull an Origin circa 1995 and release something that just destroys every PC on the market?

With pac-man.

When did you start seeing movies at home? Do you buy movies today at VHS resolution? What does the situation 30 years ago with the expectations for a current product? Ok, nothing.

I like a lot the idea of games pushing hardware to the max. That's not the case of Arkham Knight AT ALL.

Looking for a plaftorm where unlocked resolution and unlocked framerate are a thing doesn't need to be an utopia.

Zakalwe

Banned
And, for about the tenth time now, I'm not talking about directly about BAK with that comment.

For fucks sake man, there are multiple other posters on this page disusing this same line of reasoning without drawing explicit comparisons to Arkham Knight.

pa22word said:
It honestly reminds me of the unity or dead rising 3 situation...

You took this opportunity to talk down to the people moving from pc to console, made a direct comparison with two situations that have nothing to do with the BK port fiasco, went on a rant about how this is typical of people this gen, and highlighted it further when you made the point of calling them "spineless".

Now you're doubling down and wiggling out of it.

Stop it.

No it wouldn't. This isn't some fanboy tactic. This is about people wanting to be able to play the game, and, unfortunately, the best experience right now is ps4 even if you have a £1500 gaming PC.

And as some people can't even play the thing on pc due to crashes, memory leaks, and stutters breaking the game, they have no choice.

styl3s

I can't understand a pc gamer that it's ok with the 30 fps cap, being already a part of the tittle (I mean, is an important 'fuck you' from the dev in my book).

Same way, I can't understand a console gamer, abbetting people in this thread (about PC performance) to buy the ps4 version instead that it's obviously limited to 30 fps too.

Mindblowing.
I prefer 60fps but i am also 100% ok with 30fps.

What i can't understand is why people give a shit what other people are ok with or prefer. People are buying the PS4 version instead not because it's 30fps but because it isn't a broken piece of shit with missing visuals.

Zakalwe

Banned

What i can't understand is why people give a shit what other people are ok with or prefer. People are buying the PS4 version instead not because it's 30fps but because it isn't a broken piece of shit with missing visuals.

Exactly.

I don't see the value of people coming into this thread and calling people spineless and taking the opportunity to act superior.

Let people enjoy the game. Make another thread to discuss the morals of it all if you want.

MaLDo

Exactly.

I don't see the value of people coming into this thread and calling people spineless and taking the opportunity to act superior.

Let people enjoy the game. Make another thread to discuss the morals of it all if you want.

Oh, I thought that was exactly what ps4 recomendations in a performance pc thread could be.

pa22word

Now you're doubling down and wiggling out of it.

Stop it.

Or I'm capable of discussing and commenting on two different things at once. Two different lines of discussion which *gasp* happen to be being discussed at the moment in this thread concurrently.

It sounds like to me you're currently pissed off because I offended you and are going out of your way to spew vitriol at me because you posses no other viable method of expressing yourself.

I'll just wait for them to fix the game. I did most of these tweaks prior to the reddit post, as I've tweaked many UE games, but the PC version needs more than just .ini tweaks. I'd also say that it is probably a game related issue that is causing SLi to produce negative scaling (although with the current state of Nvidia drivers, who knows).

I can wait. I have so many games to play it's ridiculous. Also, I will say that still to this day, Batman AC and Batman Origins have stutter issues, and it's usually the physx (also Borderlands has the same physx related stutter).

Zakalwe

Banned
Or I'm capable of discussing and commenting on two different things at once. Two different lines of discussion which *gasp* happen to be being discussed at the moment in this thread concurrently.

It sounds like to me you're currently pissed off because I offended you and are going out of your way to spew vitriol at me because you posses no other viable method of expressing yourself.

y1zb.gif

Oh, I thought that was exactly what ps4 recomendations in a performance pc thread could be.

The ps4 version is currently superior for some users in that it actually allows them to play it.

This is a unique situation in the context.

GavinUK86

Just made another video because the longer I play the worse the stuttering is getting:

https://youtu.be/c3P0BS_bQI8

Bear in mind I'm about 40% or so through the game so some NPC chatter might reference things you haven't seen yet.

Only way the game is playable, in the loosest sense of the word, is locking it to 30 with Nvidia Inspector's 1/2 refresh rate and setting RT to 30.

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeah, I'll take that as a direct confirmation of this:

Haha, ok dude. :)

Just made another video because the longer I play the worse the stuttering is getting:

https://youtu.be/c3P0BS_bQI8

Bear in mind I'm about 40% or so through the game so some NPC chatter might reference things you haven't seen yet.

Only way the game is playable, in the loosest sense of the word, is locking it to 30 with Nvidia Inspector's 1/2 refresh rate and setting RT to 30.

What system do you have?

I wonder why some are experiencing the stutters and not others. I have a 970 with its 3.5gb of vram, and "only" 8gb of system ram, and I'm stutter free.

How do we still not have a timetable for when they expect to get the game in order? This is a complete disaster for all involved. Something must have been terribly wrong with the PC build if they can't even give us an estimate as to when to expect some updates.

How do we still not have a timetable for when they expect to get the game in order? This is a complete disaster for all involved. Something must have been terribly wrong with the PC build if they can't even give us an estimate as to when to expect some updates.

They may not even know yet internally. We have not heard anything yet.

GavinUK86

What system do you have?

I wonder why some are experiencing the stutters and not others. I have a 970 with its 3.5gb of vram, and "only" 8gb of system ram, and I'm stutter free.

i7 2600k, 8GB RAM and a GTX 970.

It's pretty much unplayable with the framerate uncapped.

The last part is probably right on the money. It's such a mess they don't even know where to start.

Zakalwe

Banned

To be fair, the game has only been out a couple of days. They were very quick to pull it from the store and issue statements about the situation, I don't really think we can expect much more than that.

I'd rather they kept silent and let us know when they have something definite than give us pointless daily updates of "we're working on it" or a time frame that may not work out due to unforeseen circumstance.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
When did you start seeing movies at home? Do you buy movies today at VHS resolution? What does the situation 30 years ago with the expectations for a current product? Ok, nothing.

I like a lot the idea of games pushing hardware to the max. That's not the case of Arkham Knight AT ALL.

Looking for a plaftorm where unlocked resolution and unlocked framerate are a thing doesn't need to be an utopia.
No, but I enjoy playing games in 240p on a standard definition CRT monitor.

Expectations today are one of entitlement. People demand perfect performance in their PC games and the inability to achieve such performance with everything "maxed" sends many posters into hysteria.

That said, I know damn well that you enjoy pushing PC graphics to the limits, but that's not true of many posters around here. They want "maxed" visuals and a perfect frame-rate - anything less and the game is obvious unoptimized crap.

None of this applies to Batman

I'm here as well. I always prefer a higher frame-rate but what's most important to me are consistent frame-times.

I actually used to find frame-rate MORE important years ago when we were using CRTs - modern displays just can't produce that same level of smoothness and it reduces the appeal just a hair.

Evo X

They want to make sure they can deliver before putting even a rough timeline out there because people get super pissed if it's not met. They're probably still in the process of figuring out exactly what's wrong.

I don't expect anything in the upcoming weeks, I would imagine they have to first find whats wrong, find a solution and then test if their solution works on different configured pc's. How this is supposed be something that you can do in a few days is a mystery to me. But tbh, I don't actually know what the solution and the process look like, so maybe tomorrow they announce the re-release on monday. I don't know if I would trust such a version though.

jorimt

Devoid future official word on updates which appear as stickies in the official AK forums here:
http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/bd-p/Support

And in the Steam Announcements area for the game:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/announcements

The best idea you're going to get on what they're working on is to visit the steamdb page here (there appears to be some recent testing activity):
https://steamdb.info/app/208650/history/

EDIT: Fixed the steamdb link.

Top Bottom