• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

MaLDo

The ps4 version is currently superior for some users in that it actually allows them to play it.

This is a unique situation in the context.

I guess it's not easy to understand.

Even the PS4 version, in its superiority, is not a decent PC version.

Hmm the steamDB page is pretty interesting.
Normally dev complementary keys are given out on steam not more than a ~year before release.

For arkham knight it shows 3 dev comp keys:

Warner Brothers Comp CD Key about a year ago
Rocksteady Comp CD Key about a year ago
Iron Galaxy Studios Dev Comp CD Key 2 months ago
Steam Sub 68463 CD Key about a month ago

What the hell? IG only got 1 month to port this?

holygeesus

Banned

I played a quick 10 minute session on my BIL's PS4 copy, and there are frame drops when driving around the city in that anyway, so it's hardly flawless. Considering that misses Nvidia GameWorks FX and the PC version misses raindrops/AO, until a fixed PC version is released, it's horses for courses in my opinion.

If I *had* to play it now, and consider I'm not having any stuttering issues, I would still choose the PC version as it is, as ^ framerate matters more to me than AO.

I don't support buying the PS4 version if you can't get a refund for the PC version. That said, for many people, the PS4 version will be overall better than the PC version is right now. Most fixes for games broken at launch come within a few weeks — this game has been pulled from all stores, online and physical. If the problems are bad enough to warrant that, it doesn't seem like anything that'll be fixed within the month.

I completely understand why someone would want to play a relatively pain-free version (which has some effects the PC version doesn't, crazily enough) now after looking forward to the game for a long time. For many, the end-game is enjoying the game, not just enjoying the PC version. If they have an outlet for that desire, they'll take it, no matter where it is.

People can speak about this in a general sense, but in this particular instance for the immediate future, the PS4 version is better. If I had a PS4, I'd definitely abandon the PC version and at least rent or borrow the PS4 version.

Zakalwe

Banned
I played a quick 10 minute session on my BIL's PS4 copy, and there are frame drops when driving around the city in that anyway, so it's hardly flawless. Considering that misses Nvidia GameWorks FX and the PC version misses raindrops/AO, until a fixed PC version is released, it's horses for courses in my opinion.

If I *had* to play it now, and consider I'm not having any stuttering issues, I would still choose the PC version as it is, as ^ framerate matters more to me than AO.

Sure, but many people are experiencing crashes and stuttering that make playing impossible. It's not just about framerates. The ps4 version isn't flawless, but it is a very good effort for the hardware and, most importantly, it just works.

I've yet to see evidence of anyone running this game without constant framerate dips when they're not locking it to 30, too.

So late last night I did more just messing around and with my page file back on my SSD managed to get some more frequent drops into the mid 20s in the Batmobile with everything on and high at 1080p but they were very short instances. It was significantly worse when I moved my page file to my 1TB HDD/SSHD that I never bothered with putting Seagate's software back on when I changed it to a media drive. My EVGA 970 SSC's VRAM usage stayed in around 3700MB and I'm 100% certain it being that high was the cause but like before the smoke/fog effect is basically the only thing that pushes GPU usage over 30-40% and the cost is freaking massive, like unbelievably so, brief seconds at 95% before it drops back down at a 1430Mhz clock.

Part of me wonders when this re-releases if it's going to be above the PS4 version or not. I know people are expecting it, because they basically owe purchasers a mint by releasing it in such a poor state, but another part of me says those recommended specs are not going to enthuse people at the end of the day.

I don't know about how much work they'll actually put into making it look/perform compared to the console version but these recommended specs could stay the same minus the AMD card needing 3GB of VRAM. But I would hope with shit getting fixed that we'd be able to do a bit more at those specs.

Hah, pretty funny to hear the devs enthuse about specific graphical effects in this video NVidia posted. Amazing.

Somebody somewhere has to know what happened here, hope the full story comes out some day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7dAXDVrHzw

I don't know who I want to say "fuck off" to more with this video.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Normally dev complementary keys are given out on steam not more than a ~year before release.

No:

That's false. Whoever started saying that didn't realise they were looking at the time the sub was last modified. It was created last May and has had Arkham Knight in it from the off, with the game's secondary data depots (additional languages) being added about five months ago. IG had plenty of time.

Keys can be generated for apps as soon as they've been uploaded as Steam's backend generates three subs automatically: one intended for devs, another for beta testers and another for the Steam Store/retailers (i.e. public consumption). Publishers are also free to make as many additional subs as they please -- for example, Ubi made a bunch of retail-specific subs for Watch Dogs, which suggests it was toying with the idea of selling Steam keys.

Zakalwe

Banned

I don't know how this stuff works, can anyone confirm this? I read someone suggest it was known IG only had x amount of time, has this been revealed elsewhere somehow?

As I posted. Thanks Jase.

I uninstalled it and bought the ps4 version.

I didn't pay for the PC version anyway. My 670 will probably still struggle when they do "fix" it. I don't trust them to optimize it, just make it work halfway decent on high end 900 cards.

kinggroin

Banned
I uninstalled it and bought the ps4 version.

I didn't pay for the PC version anyway. My 670 will probably still struggle when they do "fix" it. I don't trust them to optimize it, just make it work halfway decent on high end 900 cards.

The GTX 670 does not struggle with this game so much as this game just struggles with itself. Still, the PlayStation 4 version is easily the best way to go.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That doesn't confirm IG have been working on it since then though.

While true, given the Arkham Knight app is roughly as old as this game, it stands to reason that WB wouldn't have made the Iron Galaxy sub just barely more than a year ago if the wheels weren't already in motion.

the PC version was shown running a year ago already. it did not become a thing in just 2 months
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78qVd6gpVvE

you keep posting this.

it means nothing.

how many times has the press been shown a build of a game only to later find out that the build was barely functional and just a digital potemkin village?

for all we know that version was just a vertical slice of what they had at the time and when they started integrating other effects and features the game started going off the rails. all that video means is that at one point in time the media saw a version of the game that is different from what was released. Other than that, there's nothing to be gleaned from that video.

The GTX 670 does not struggle with this game so much as this game just struggles with itself. Still, the PlayStation 4 version is easily the best way to go.

I guess I should say it struggles to run whatever this mess we were presented with is.

Optimization is expensive and difficult. I think we will see some smoothing of the frame rate and texture issues, removal of 30fps cap, and an increase in the recommended specs when the game is "fixed" and maybe even use that as a reason for a new store page with the negative reviews removed.

Somehow wb will get the negative reviews removed I'm sure.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
PC with playstation prompts. Yeah I doubt that

many games on PC now add PlayStation buttons (AK final PC version have them. Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed unity as well), anyway skip to 2 min mark when Dax Ginn confirms it's a PC build.

you keep posting this.

it means nothing.

how many times has the press been shown a build of a game only to later find out that the build was barely functional and just a digital potemkin village?

for all we know that version was just a vertical slice of what they had at the time and when they started integrating other effects and features the game started going off the rails. all that video means is that at one point in time the media saw a version of the game that is different from what was released. Other than that, there's nothing to be gleaned from that video.

a vertical slice just a one year before the game relese? i don't think so

vertical slice like in TW3 and Watch Dogs situations were in reveal 3 years or more before the game hit, not just a one year.

Just got a new gtx970 today, installed it, got my Batman code on Steam ready to go... now reading this thread I'm depressed lol
Not sure I'm even going to bother downloading it. Happy to wait it out since I REALLY want to play this on PC instead of console, this sucks :/

Just in case temptation gets the better of me, is the X1 version comparable to PS4?

Why does everyone keep posting their PC specs without bothering to say what kind of hard drive they are using?

At this point, we know confidently the issue is texture streaming. We also know confidently that having a slow hard drive (HDD of any kind, honestly) is going to contribute heavily to performance.

If you're going to list your specs and tell us how crappy it's running, don't forget to post what the game is installed on.

As I've said previously, the game runs much better coming from an SSD instead of an HDD. There is an app called Steam Mover you might want to check out if you've already installed on your HDD (assuming you have both an SSD and HDD like I do).

KingBroly

Banned
Why does everyone keep posting their PC specs without bothering to say what kind of hard drive they are using?

At this point, we know confidently the issue is texture streaming. We also know confidently that having a slow hard drive (HDD of any kind, honestly) is going to contribute heavily to performance.

If you're going to list your specs and tell us how crappy it's running, don't forget to post what the game is installed on.

As I've said previously, the game runs much better coming from an SSD instead of an HDD. There is an app called Steam Mover you might want to check out if you've already installed on your HDD (assuming you have both an SSD and HDD like I do).

Because there's other things wrong than just texture streaming.

pahamrick

Whats weird though, is that there have been people with no issues when using a standard HDD though.

Case in point:
Heres the video. https://youtu.be/kITgjMuC7tw

Seems like youtube is still 'processing' it. Only 360p available yet, weird.

Spec below! Weird, I havent had any issues. Before I unlocked the frame rate I had it at 30 and didnt have any problems, it just was at 30. I played the game up till the ACE Chemical factory at 30fps locked no issues, then I did the ini edit and put it at 60fps with adaptive V-Sync. You see in the video how it drops a bit when the tires are spinning etc.

Intel i7 4770K @4.3ghz
Windows 8.1
16GB System Memory
256 SSD for video recording (Also System)
1TB WD Black (Where game is stored : STEAM Version)
EVGA GTX 970 SSC (Factory OC)
1080p All settings at highest in game.
Played using Xbox PC Controller

Not trying to force a mass refund but steam refunded my copy of Arkham Knight and I had near 30 hours clocked in. (Mostly because I fell asleep with the game open)
So if you are really tired of struggling with the port and you want to pull out, it might not be too late to request a refund.

NIN90

Except that it still stutters like dogshit for people with SSDs. Like for me.

Ok, so after playing for about an hour I've finally collected some thoughts and questions on this game. First of all my specs are:

-GTX 960 MSI Gaming edition 2G
-Intel Core i5 3570K
-6 GB RAM
-HDD 1TB 7200

Now, with that in mind, the game can only be played without stutter with both Textures and Shadows at Low and with Detail at Normal. All Gameworks stuff off, as well as V Sync and Anti Aliasing. One question that I have: Are this settings expected from my hardware or is it just an optimization problem?

But leaving all the PC port problems aside, this is a really good and fun game. Sure, the Batmovile plays like ass, but it doesn't take the fun from it. From what I've played, I've really liked it, I just hope that a patch can fix most of the problems so I can enjoy this game in it's entirety.

Zakalwe

Banned
Except that it still stutters like dogshit for people with SSDs. Like for me.

Yeh, SSD's doesn't fix it for everyone.

It's worth moving it to an SSD if you can and haven't though and you're experiencing the issue, as some have reported it resolving the stutters.

I have it on SSD and I've avoided this issue thankfully.

Now, with that in mind, the game can only be played without stutter with both Textures and Shadows at Low and with Detail at Normal. All Gameworks stuff off, as well as V Sync and Anti Aliasing. One question that I have: Are this settings expected from my hardware or is it just an optimization problem?

The port is broken. They pulled it from Steam for a good reason. Your hardware should be getting better performance.

I disagree too, I think the Batmobile is fantastic. :p

sinnergy

Want to enjoy this, build a monster PC, it´s a simple as that. game was developed with 8 GB Vram in mind, that´s how these next/gen consoles handle they main ram. So a videocard with at least 8 GB is a the way to go. And if you want a higher resolution, and higher resolution textures and shadows and AO and what not.. even more.

That´s why I stopped gaming on pc, and excepted that it´s about the games and are a console exclusive gamer..

But if you are a pc gamer be prepared to but lots of money in your hobby ;)

holygeesus

Banned
Sure, but many people are experiencing crashes and stuttering that make playing impossible. It's not just about framerates. The ps4 version isn't flawless, but it is a very good effort for the hardware and, most importantly, it just works.

I've yet to see evidence of anyone running this game without constant framerate dips when they're not locking it to 30, too.

Of course, I was only referring to people like myself, who are having no issues apart from the missing features e.g. AO.

Having now performed the ini tweaks posted on the last page, I am getting 60fps *most* of the time, which is better to me than a fixed 30, but again, that is personal preference, and I understand people not wanting such a scenario. I can't see constant 60fps being possible, on any set-up, until a fixed version emerges.

diamount

Banned
Want to enjoy this, build a monster PC, it´s a simple as that. game was developed with 8 GB Vram in mind, that´s how these next/gen consoles handle they main ram. So a videocard with at least 8 GB is a the way to go. And if you want a higher resolution, and higher resolution textures and shadows and AO and what not.. even more.

That´s why I stopped gaming on pc, and excepted that it´s about the games and are a console exclusive gamer..

What a load of nonsense, you don't even need 8gb VRAM at 4k.

viveks86

You realize such driveby shitposting is grounds for getting banned?

Zakalwe

Banned

This post is pretty terrible.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

If you're gonna troll at least make an effort to spell correctly

CryptiK

Nobody can be this thick right? Joke character yeah?

funnywalkandfalldownhill.gif

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

What da wat??!!

What da wat??!!

wat.jpg

Klyka

Banned

I love this post and everything it stands for

datamage

Thank you for the insightful post. You have enlightened me in such a way I thought unimaginable. I also placed an order for 3 Titans thanks to you.

iNvid02

YYEEEAAAAHHHHHH

jimmypop

Banned

Post of a generation, etc.

Klyka

Banned
be prepared to but lots of money guys!

he better ly dow

But.. but.. the consoles don't have 8GB of VRAM.

image.php

Top Bottom