• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Helznicht

Want to enjoy this, build a monster PC, it´s a simple as that. game was developed with 8 GB Vram in mind, that´s how these next/gen consoles handle they main ram. So a videocard with at least 8 GB is a the way to go. And if you want a higher resolution, and higher resolution textures and shadows and AO and what not.. even more.

That´s why I stopped gaming on pc, and excepted that it´s about the games and are a console exclusive gamer..

But if you are a pc gamer be prepared to but lots of money in your hobby ;)

To clarify, the consoles are a shared memory pool. PCs are separate. How software should manage memory between the 2 platforms should be very different. Unfortunately I do not think they are, which is why we are seeing the studdering on one vs the other. Having 8+ Vram would not help this issue much at all, because the PCs main bank must also be used effectively (and not page in and out like a madman).

jorimt

To clarify, the consoles are a shared memory pool. PCs are separate. How software should manage memory between the 2 platforms should be very different. Unfortunately I do not think they are, which is why we are seeing the studdering on one vs the other. Having 8+ Vram would not help this issue much at all, because the PCs main bank must also be used effectively (and not page in and out like a madman).

Yup.

I dug up this post I made a little over a year ago on the Watch_Dogs Steam forums concerning the game's issue with RAM/VRAM usage at launch:

"They should have had a PC specific solution for managing RAM for this game at the very beginning.

Obviously optimization of the PS4 became priority somewhere in the development process.

I see this becoming a common issue going forward with multi-platform PS4/PC titles. Developers need to account for the differences between the PS4's unified RAM and PC's split RAM going forward, period."

Sad to say, over a year and several "next-gen" PC ports later, the unified console memory still seems to be giving developers issues when porting over to PC.

jacobeid

Banned
PC with playstation prompts. Yeah I doubt that

lol, someone hasn't played the game on PC.

Want to enjoy this, build a monster PC, it´s a simple as that. game was developed with 8 GB Vram in mind, that´s how these next/gen consoles handle they main ram. So a videocard with at least 8 GB is a the way to go. And if you want a higher resolution, and higher resolution textures and shadows and AO and what not.. even more.

That´s why I stopped gaming on pc, and excepted that it´s about the games and are a console exclusive gamer..

But if you are a pc gamer be prepared to but lots of money in your hobby ;)

RIP sweet prince.

Consoles/developers have a max of 5GB to work with, this game is utilizing more than two times that on the system side alone along with, again at least in my experience nearly 4GB (I've seen it top out at 3.9GB) on my 970, yes it goes into the "crippled" partition though I'm 100% sure that hasn't been the root of any issues.

That's not because the game is just that demanding due to some sort of positive technical merits.

Whats weird though, is that there have been people with no issues when using a standard HDD though.

Case in point:

16GB of RAM helps even more than running the game off an SSD.

JINYX

Neo Member
this was posted to reddit

possible texture streaming fix?

http://steamcommunity.com//app/208650/discussions/0/523890046870624615

(not sure if it was posted here <3 )

This worked pretty well for me. Most of the stutter is gone and I'm maintaining a fairly solid 60fps when not gliding (for some reason drops when I glide). I only have rainworks on though for the nvidia settings, everything else maxed.

I didn't do the LOD changes but I did update the max anisotropy and changed the texture resolution to 2.

I7 4790k
970 G1 SLI (didn't take the cards out of SLI)
16gb ram
WD Caviar Black

void666

Banned
I wonder why some peolple, me included, are not having problems with stuttering.
My pc is not a beastly machine. Single GTX 980, only 8gb ram.

It's funny that we have a port so poor that the publisher has pulled it from retailers yet there are still posts suggesting that this is some inevitable result of the limitations of the PC platform vs current gen consoles.

Shari

I wonder why some peolple, me included, are not having problems with stuttering.

ocmo.gif

Sorry man, but that statement...

edit: Quoting full text because context is a nice friend to have.

I might go with console versions of games for a while.

Why isn't this kind of setup mirrored on the PC side?

Certainly having shared memory pool should be possible for normal web browsing and regular PC tasks.. obviously not great for video rendering or high end tasks, but why isn't this an option on PC?

NuKERxyz

200.gif

I would like to buy this game for PC, are there any news regarding patch?
The game price will probably fall a lot.

ktroopa

Im ready to test the streaming tweaks but cant summon the batmobile, how do you call it? Do you need to progress into the story much?

I have the same issues like most of you when you're in the batmobile. My framerate takes a hit but its still playable. But now when I just got to the third (and im assuming last) island you get access too. My game has crashed 4 times now when I am in that island. I can't even complete the mission on that island. This just sucks donkey dick lol.

Meh, not because of this because I've been thinking about it for a while now but I just ordered a 16GB kit of RAM. <_<

NewEgg is running like Arkham Knight for a lot of people.

dxor

Neo Member
You have to wonder if Iron Galaxy passed on an old build instead of the correct one. That would indicate why there are missing effects and lack of optimisation.

It's perfect here, even though it would be because they're showing it off at E3.

Now I don't work at any of the involved companies, but I've seen enough of the software world to know how it went down:

• The PC version always kind-of sort-of existed, mainly for showing at E3 and such since it performed the best with a ton of power thrown at it
  • The focus was still always the consoles - mainly PS4 - since that brings in the most money
  • As content was getting finished and the release date started being on the horizon, the A-team was to spend their time making the PS4 and XO look and run as good as possible
  • There is not enough manpower to take care of finishing the PC version - enter outsourcing
  • "This is what we have, this is what we need, you have this much time to do it"
  • "Ok sure thing"
  • Release date gets closer
  • "Hey WB boss man, the guys are saying there is no way we can deliver everything in this time. Either we release later or release less"
  • "The release date must hold. Make it work"
  • "Ok then"
  • Feature stripping starts
  • Texture streaming is still a mess - buggy, slow - high quality textures are out since they just don't work anywhere
  • AO buggy everywhere, it's out
  • Effects with a bad performance hit (rain) are out
  • Fancy settings menus (mouse speed sliders, fov sliders, what have you) are right out
  • Tunable things (AA, AF) are locked to hide bugs
  • Framerate is locked to 30 to hide the texture performance issues and a host of other bugs
  • It mostly runs on the recommended settings system now, blocker level tickets from QA are resolved
  • "Hey WB boss man, I'm happy to let you know we have delivered a finished build in time"
  • "Excellent! I knew you could do it!"

pahamrick

Looks like I'm done with AK PC version for now. I'm to a point in the game that causes it to crash every time no matter what I change or tweak, or disable overclocks.

Dammit.

vg260

Now I don't work at any of the involved companies, but I've seen enough of the software world to know how it went down:

• The PC version always kind-of sort-of existed, mainly for showing at E3 and such since it performed the best with a ton of power thrown at it
  • The focus was still always the consoles - mainly PS4 - since that brings in the most money
  • As content was getting finished and the release date started being on the horizon, the A-team was to spend their time making the PS4 and XO look and run as good as possible
  • There is not enough manpower to take care of finishing the PC version - enter outsourcing
  • "This is what we have, this is what we need, you have this much time to do it"
  • "Ok sure thing"
  • "Hey WB boss man, the guys are saying there is no way we can deliver everything in this time. Either we release later or release less"
  • "Ok then"
  • Texture streaming is still a mess - buggy, slow - high quality textures are out since they just don't work anywhere
  • Fancy settings menus (mouse speed sliders, fov sliders, what have you) are right out
  • Framerate is locked to 30 to hide the texture performance issues and a host of other bugs
  • It mostly runs on the recommended settings system now, blocker level tickets from QA are resolved
  • "Hey WB boss man, I'm happy to let you know we have delivered a finished build in time"

That seems like a totally plausible scenario.

Verger

Banned

• "Ok sure thing"
  • "Ok then"
I can believe this.

It's not really something you can place blame at a single source given the complexities of game development. All parties share blame for how this ended up.

heyf00L

I don't think any Arkham game had these settings.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, so out of curiosity I gave this a shot on my i5/780 setup and, much to my surprise, it runs quite well.

If I unlocked the frame-rate it jumps between 40-60fps depending on the scene but locking it at 30fps and using RTSS produces a surprisingly stable experience. Not quite as smooth as the PS4 version but very decent. I know, 30fps in a PC game is unacceptable, but I was getting pretty stable frame-times.

Very minimal stuttering - nothing like I've seen in some of the videos out there.

The only real problem I could leverage at my specific experience were the missing visual effects, changes to visual effects, and texture loading issues. Obviously we know all about the missing rain textures and what not but the toned down rain, depth of field, and general post-fx work makes the game feel somewhat more plain. Something felt off when I first loaded it up but putting it side by side with the PS4 version made it clear that things aren't quite right. Also, a number of textures took longer to load than they should with areas appearing blurrier than expected for longer. It didn't cause any hitches but it does look ugly. All in all, the game just looks strangely different as a result of all those subtle (and not so subtle) changes. It feels like it's missing an extra layer of polish.

This was all at 2560x1440, by the way, with Gameworks enabled for everything except the paper stuff (which I don't really like the look of). Truth be told it doesn't run much differently than The Witcher 3. I can hit 60fps in W3 at 1080p but at 1440p the ol' 780 just can't do it so I have to lock down to 30.

I'm just surprised that the game was able to perform as well as it did on my system. It certainly SEEMS salvageable. Of course, a lot of others seem to be encountering SEVERE performance issues.

yatesl

Mine's been running "fine" for the past 10 hours - aside from the 30fps cap and infrequent drops in frames - but it's suddenly decided to realise it's the PC version, and now it consistently drops to 5fps and straight up pauses for a couple of seconds, despite no settings changed.

That's on an i5/970

Hmm, so out of curiosity I gave this a shot on my i5/780 setup and, much to my surprise, it runs quite well.

If I unlocked the frame-rate it jumps between 40-60fps depending on the scene but locking it at 30fps and using RTSS produces a surprisingly stable experience. Not quite as smooth as the PS4 version but very decent. I know, 30fps in a PC game is unacceptable, but I was getting pretty stable frame-times.

Very minimal stuttering - nothing like I've seen in some of the videos out there.

The only real problem I could leverage at my specific experience were the missing visual effects, changes to visual effects, and texture loading issues. Obviously we know all about the missing rain textures and what not but the toned down rain, depth of field, and general post-fx work makes the game feel somewhat more plain. Something felt off when I first loaded it up but putting it side by side with the PS4 version made it clear that things aren't quite right. Also, a number of textures took longer to load than they should with areas appearing blurrier than expected for longer. It didn't cause any hitches but it does look ugly. All in all, the game just looks strangely different as a result of all those subtle (and not so subtle) changes. It feels like it's missing an extra layer of polish.

This was all at 2560x1440, by the way, with Gameworks enabled for everything except the paper stuff (which I don't really like the look of). Truth be told it doesn't run much differently than The Witcher 3. I can hit 60fps in W3 at 1080p but at 1440p the ol' 780 just can't do it so I have to lock down to 30.

I'm just surprised that the game was able to perform as well as it did on my system. It certainly SEEMS salvageable. Of course, a lot of others seem to be encountering SEVERE performance issues.

People reporting "acceptable" performance... until they've played a couple of hours, then the game starts to crash for many.

Zakalwe

Banned
I would play if the game didn't run like shit for me. I'll add you though, cause once they fix it I'll play it a ton I bet. From what I played, it seemed really nice.

Cool, I can imagine I'll be running these challenge modes for quite a while, and I'll definitely be playing the game through again when it gets fixed.

kinggroin

Banned

There are a couple of community fixes for that image polish.

Turn AA off. It subdues the lighting for whatever reason.

Use sweet fx to gain AO and SMAA

Perform this tweak:http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1068628&page=100000#footer

At that point the only thing that should be worse than the PlayStation 4 version is the rain shader effects.

Hope that helps further. Certainly did for me and I have a 670.

Khasim

From my experience working in software development, it would be more like this (devs vs publisher suit dude) :

- Hey WB, we can't finish this game in time, it's a mess. We are just unable to do it yet. We need to postpone the release date on PC or release a broken mess.
- Not postponing anything. You have time until release date. It must work.
- But...
- Enough. We will lose less if we release a broken product than if we postpone the release date.
- But that's just not how the PC community...
- Shut up, you know nothing about business, now get back to coding.
- As you wish...

I'm wondering if the person who greenlighted the PC version is in trouble now.

GavinUK86

Anyone having a really hard time finishing the
Firefly
missions due to the stuttering when driving around in the batmobile? I've failed them multiple times now because of it.

M_A_C

There are a couple of community fixes for that image polish.

Turn AA off. It subdues the lighting for whatever reason.

Use sweet fx to gain AO and SMAA

Perform this tweak:http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1068628&page=100000#footer

At that point the only thing that should be worse than the PlayStation 4 version is the rain shader effects.

Hope that helps further. Certainly did for me and I have a 670.

Any comparison shots after all those tweaks?

pahamrick

Any comparison shots after all those tweaks?

Only issue I have with adding AO through sweetfx/reshade is that you get blacklines that show through any cinematic that is pre-rendered, and whenever Batman is using the wrist mounted video it can show through, and break AO in the background while the video is going.

Looks like I'm done with AK PC version for now. I'm to a point in the game that causes it to crash every time no matter what I change or tweak, or disable overclocks.

Dammit.

Samething happened to me but once I unlocked the third island in the main story. Is this where the game broke for you?

Top Bottom