• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Evo X

For my GSYNC bros, I just found that the low res texture streaming problem is almost completely eliminated by capping the FPS at 45 in the ini. It was much worse when I had set it to 144.

I know most people recommend running 30 because of their normal monitors, but GSYNC 45fps noticeably smoother than 30, without the texture problems of setting it to 60+.

Sure would be nice if Sefton Hill (or anyone, really) would give us PC players an update.

sf1I2zH.gif

Shit, at first I thought my browser was screwed up because of the gif skipping.

Vex_

Banned
People used to look at me funny when I tell them I never preorder
or buy dlc, but that is another story.

I never have given anyone money for a product I am unable to use immediately. Why is it ever ok to give someone money for something that you cannot use? It never felt right from the very beginning regardless if it was a game or not.

It's like, here's my money from now so that you can possibly deliver a product to me as advertised... MAYBE.

I never have given anyone money for a product I am unable to use immediately. Why is it ever ok to give someone money for something that you cannot use? It never felt right from the very beginning regardless if it was a game or not.

It's like, here's my money from now so you that you can possibly deliver a product to me as advertised... MAYBE.

You can so often pre-order games for $25-35, while buying them in the week after release will set you back $50-60. So long as more than half the games released ship in a decent state, you end up benefiting. And even when they ship broken, they eventually get fixed by which time the price may have just come down to the price you paid for a pre-order.

As it stands, I'd say 85% of games come out in a good state, with 15% having crucial issues at release.

It's like, here's my money from now so you that you can possibly deliver a product to me as advertised... MAYBE.

It's not so hard to understand, it began as a way for people to pay for products over time.

Vex_

Banned
It's not so hard to understand, it began as a way for people to pay for products over time.

That still doesn't make any sense. You save your money up by.....

.... Saving your money up. Why "lend" it to someone over time? What are you getting out of this? Since we are speaking of back in the days, I dont remember there being pre order bonuses either.

Even now, all you will probably get is a nice 3 hour campaign that was probably ready to ship with the game anyway...In many cases, they come with day 1 editions too.

This gif got me dying over here lmao.

Yeah that shit always cracks me up

Shit, at first I thought my browser was screwed up because of the gif skipping.

Best part of the gif is the brief low rez texture moment in the middle.

I will never, ever get tired of posting it.

I'm torn -- I obviously want the game to get fixed so I can play it, but I also secretly want it to remain slightly buggy so I can post the gif, if only for my own amusement.

This is an amazing response, by the way. :)

Got the Riddler trophy bug that's apparently an issue on all platforms, yay! I'll have to get whatever Riddler trophies I can't get by the end in NG+ and then go back to get around it. Also pretty damn sure the one trophy I've noticed it on so far (
the one near the front of the Stagg Airship Alpha that's blocked by chain link gates
) is one I picked up the first time I was there and maybe didn't actually register.

Also, game still wants 8GB of RAM even if it isn't making use of that much, had a quick look at it earlier and it was using 6.7GB. I fully expect a large reduction of system and VRAM usage if this game ever gets fixed up to be a more proper port.

Vuze

For my GSYNC bros, I just found that the low res texture streaming problem is almost completely eliminated by capping the FPS at 45 in the ini. It was much worse when I had set it to 144.

I know most people recommend running 30 because of their normal monitors, but GSYNC 45fps noticeably smoother than 30, without the texture problems of setting it to 60+.
I used the tweaking tool from the steam boards and haven't had anymore texture streaming issues at 60Hz Gsync ever since I started using it (installed on SSD). Unfortunately, the game stutters like shit in the batmobile still while racing through the city but I've poured 4h into it yesterday and now that I got into the game I feel it's hard to stop hah. Texture and material work is pretty amazing.

I stand by what I said before. If you don't care if you have 30 fps console is the best option.

I don't understand how you can't see that's straight up bs.
I played AC syndicate a few weeks ago, and it was a blurry/jaggy mess on the ps4 just like ac unity is; this is pretty much true for every console game also being on pc.

Why the hell would advise people to just go for that when you can have 1440p+, fast loading, jaggies free sharp image quality with possible pc extra features (every face-off on DF shows console versions lacking visual features).

Pc gaming isn't just about fps.

They really need to improve their communication here. I feel like the first patch was plan A - attempt to fix the current build and now we're at plan B - gut the thing and actually make a decent port.

Zakalwe

Banned
They really need to improve their communication here. I feel like the first patch was plan A - attempt to fix the current build and now we're at plan B - gut the thing and actually make a decent port.

The first patch applied some easy fixes. The rest was always going to take time. This was never going to happen in a few days, it may even take a few weeks.

Better they work on it properly and give us a great port, at least that's what I hope they're doing...

They could give us a status update very now and then. We can't be given a date as they may not be able to stick to it and they can't afford that, but some kind of idea would go a long way to appeasing the frustration.

AEREC

Hope they get this one fixed up soon...I got the PS4 version but it does frequently dip below 30 and I seem to be at a part of the game where image tearing is becoming noticeable.

I used the tweaking tool from the steam boards and haven't had anymore texture streaming issues at 60Hz Gsync ever since I started using it (installed on SSD). Unfortunately, the game stutters like shit in the batmobile still while racing through the city but I've poured 4h into it yesterday and now that I got into the game I feel it's hard to stop hah. Texture and material work is pretty amazing.

I did as well. That tool is pretty amazing in how it addresses the texture streaming issues as well as the overall feel of the game. It pretty amazing at 60Hz. The only issue I am still having is stutter in the batmobile.

Could you link to this tool?

Here is the most recent version.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/20865...70624615/?tscn=1436162573#c530646715633451812

Read the first post in the thread though so you can get a better understanding of what all the options and configs settings are that he is tweaking. Also, you may have to download some MSFT C++ files to run the program.

Edit: Look through the authors post history here:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaldaien/posthistory/
a lot of good stuff on the tweaks hes doing.

bigace33

Ok, fired this up last night on my new comp build and it ran like a dream. Playing it at 1080P with everything turned up except the Nvidia special stuff. Ran buttery smooth with no freezes or noticeable (to me) frame drops.

i5 4460
3.2 GHZ
GTX 770 4GB
Z97 motherboard
16GB ram
3TB HDD

mr stroke

Ok, fired this up last night on my new comp build and it ran like a dream. Playing it at 1080P with everything turned up except the Nvidia special stuff. Ran buttery smooth with no freezes or noticeable (to me) frame drops.

i5 4460
3.2 GHZ
GTX 770 4GB
Z97 motherboard
16GB ram
3TB HDD

Sounds like this game is ok to play now?
I've been waiting and waiting to play for weeks now:/

O.DOGG

They haven't released any patches for the performance issues so if you had problems before most likely you'll still have them. Wait until the game reappears for sale on Steam, then it's likely the problems have been fixed or at least mitigated to a point.

Peterthumpa

i5 4460
3.2 GHZ
GTX 770 4GB
Z97 motherboard
16GB ram
3TB HDD

Play it for an extend period of time. The memory leak issue will eventually start presenting itself.

Try it out — some people have gotten it to run fine. It seems random, not to mention for some the performance deteriorate over time. It sometimes runs well for me, other times it hitches.

bigace33

Play it for an extend period of time. The memory leak issue will eventually start presenting itself.

Ok you might have a point because I literally played for about 25-30 minutes. Seriously though, my comp is eating this game for breakfast so far. I'm about to put in a couple of hours before work and report back.

b0bbyJ03

Ok you might have a point because I literally played for about 25-30 minutes. Seriously though, my comp is eating this game for breakfast so far. I'm about to put in a couple of hours before work and report back.

I've got an OCed 3770k and a 980 with the game on a Samsung SSD and no matter what I do it hitches and the textures don't load properly a good portion of the time. Good luck

mboojigga

I have almost completed all the side missions and about to complete the main story. It plays for me at 4k and average about 50fps. I don't get the stuttering but I have crashed a couple of times since building my new rig last week.

bigace33

Still a stuttering mess on my rig.

i7 5930k
32 GB RAM
980 Ti
840 Pro SSD

I don't get it, your comp clearly outclasses mine, but I'm not having an issue. I just played for nearly an hour or so, and it played near flawless. This is probably the best looking game this gen so far, and runs really well on my modest mid tier machine.

napata

i5 4460
3.2 GHZ
GTX 770 4GB
Z97 motherboard
16GB ram
3TB HDD

That buttery smooth 30fps.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I don't understand how you can't see that's straight up bs.
I played AC syndicate a few weeks ago, and it was a blurry/jaggy mess on the ps4 just like ac unity is; this is pretty much true for every console game also being on pc.

Why the hell would advise people to just go for that when you can have 1440p+, fast loading, jaggies free sharp image quality with possible pc extra features (every face-off on DF shows console versions lacking visual features).

Pc gaming isn't just about fps.
What? Fps is one the major reasons why you should invest in a PC.

beeswax

What? Fps is one the major reasons why you should invest in a PC.

He didn't say it wasn't, did he? He said it's not just about FPS. I am mostly a 60fps snob however there are current games, for example GTAV, which I prefer to play at very high DSR resolutions (1 or 2 notches down from 4k) at 30fps rather than 1080p60. The huge increase in IQ more than makes up for the 30 fps and looks far, far superior to any console version.

vg260

Maybe this is a more general question, but is there any need for over 8GB of system RAM for this or gaming in general at the moment? This is assuming you're keeping other running programs to a minimum.

Geedorah

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (@3.8GHz)
nVidia 970 WindForce
500GB Samsung 850 EVO
16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Windows 8.1

Just beat the game, logged about 45hours and I'm near 100% (missing ~150 of the Riddler trophies, the rest is done). Can honestly say I did not encounter any stutter/slowdown. I didn't do any of the .ini tweaks, and the 30-ish FPS was really terrible - but it didn't drop frames or stutter for me. Longest play sessions were about five to six hours at any given time, never noticed any difference in performance as time went on. Played with all the GameWorks settings on, settings on default "Ultra" or whatever they were - it was pretty, but not the crazy leap above the PS4 version I was expecting (roommate is playing that version).

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (@3.8GHz)
nVidia 970 WindForce
500GB Samsung 850 EVO
16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Windows 8.1

Just beat the game, logged about 45hours and I'm near 100% (missing ~150 of the Riddler trophies, the rest is done). Can honestly say I did not encounter any stutter/slowdown. I didn't do any of the .ini tweaks, and the 30-ish FPS was really terrible - but it didn't drop frames or stutter for me. Longest play sessions were about five to six hours at any given time, never noticed any difference in performance as time went on. Played with all the GameWorks settings on, settings on default "Ultra" or whatever they were - it was pretty, but not the crazy leap above the PS4 version I was expecting (roommate is playing that version).
I 100%ed it on PC as well and while I did see some stuttering, it wasn't bad at all. I crashed about 5 times over the course and they all happened when I swung the camera around very quickly while flying or driving.

Buburibon

Really surprised that we haven't at least gotten an update.

Yeah, I was hoping they'd release a second update to address the buggy rain effects before the "big" performance patch. To be honest, the only thing preventing me from playing the game is the visual inconsistency between "new game" and "continue story."

Top Bottom