• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Vuze

Älg;171429581 said:
Where have you heard of this rumor?
I think it was just people assuming they're entitled to a compensation due to the launch fiasco. I don't believe they'll offer a free season pass or game just because Ubisoft did that with AssCreed Unity.

Parsnip

The rumor came from reddit where someone claiming to work at gamestop or some such was saying stuff and things.

If I recall.

I think it was just people assuming they're entitled to a compensation due to the launch fiasco. I don't believe they'll offer a free season pass or game just because Ubisoft did that with AssCreed Unity.

And I don't believe Ubisoft even really did that with Unity. The only thing they made free was the Dead Kings DLC. I think people still had to pay for Chronicles if they didn't have the season pass.

If anything, maybe they will have the Batgirl DLC free for PC owners.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
ubifost gave people free shit because unity was a mess across all platforms, this game seems to be ok on consoles so don't get your hopes up for something free aside from a skin or 2

Maybe this is a more general question, but is there any need for over 8GB of system RAM for this or gaming in general at the moment? This is assuming you're keeping other running programs to a minimum.

You probably shouldn't need more than 8GB of RAM but Arkham Knight wants 8GB all to itself when you put your settings to around the "recommended" level and will push into your page file if you don't have enough which I think is where a lot of the stuttering issues are coming from. Since I upgraded to 16GB it hasn't been touching my PF but it still reserves 8GB and the most I've seen it actually use is 6.7GB. That's with the shitty AA, smoke/fog and paper debris off and the few other options on and at normal/high at 1080p. It almost certainly shouldn't be using that much system memory.

jorimt

You probably shouldn't need more than 8GB of RAM but Arkham Knight wants 8GB all to itself when you put your settings to around the "recommended" level and will push into your page file if you don't have enough which I think is where a lot of the stuttering issues are coming from. Since I upgraded to 16GB it hasn't been touching my PF but it still reserves 8GB and the most I've seen it actually use is 6.7GB. That's with the shitty AA, smoke/fog and paper debris off and the few other options on and at normal/high at 1080p. It almost certainly shouldn't be using that much system memory.

I also just upgraded from 8GB of RAM (3 year-old Mushkin Blackline @1600mhz) to 16GB (G.Skill Sniper @1833mhz), and in my last session, the system RAM usage maxed out at 8.2GB...yeahhh.

At the same time, my 770's 4GB of VRAM was all used up, plus 300 or so MB (4.3GB total usage). This was @1080p/30 fps with max settings, no in-game AA (SweetFX injected SMAA), and no Nvidia effects but for the Enhanced Rain. And this was just me casually looking around for riddles.

On the bright side, I no longer have to have a 4GB pagefile just to launch the game (it would crash with my old 8GB of RAM otherwise), and it also doesn't touch my (now much smaller) pagefile. So, instead of load stutter induced by both the pagefile and VRAM overspill, I only get the latter on occasion.

Where's that patch again? ;p

JohngPR

And I don't believe Ubisoft even really did that with Unity. The only thing they made free was the Dead Kings DLC. I think people still had to pay for Chronicles if they didn't have the season pass.

If anything, maybe they will have the Batgirl DLC free for PC owners.

If you had the season pass for Unity, they offered you a free game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Any ETA on that patch? It's been two weeks now and someone's selling the Premium Edition for $40.

demolitio

Any ETA on that patch? It's been two weeks now and someone's selling the Premium Edition for $40.

Nope. They went zero dark thirty on us so who knows when it will come. At this point, I hope it's a major patch that fixes the memory leaks or else I'm going to lose a lot of faith in this thing getting resolved. Hard to trust them to do it right at this point.

Even if they just said something basic on Twitter, it'd be very appreciated since there's so many people just WAITING for the news.

Wish I went with the PS4 version but sure as hell wouldn't give them any more money at this point even if I had extra money to give...lol

Rocksteady had this to say,

giphy.gif

So nothing.

hlhbk

Back when the first patch was released they said it was going to take a long time to fix. I knew at that time we wouldn't be seeing another patch or hear anything for weeks. Not sure why people expected anything else?

dex3108

Back when the first patch was released they said it was going to take a long time to fix. I knew at that time we wouldn't be seeing another patch or hear anything for weeks. Not sure why people expected anything else?

Simple weekly updates would be fine. We are at this stage, testing this and this or something like that.

I just want to know what the hell happened? Talk about it, be transparent. Show that you learned a fucking lesson because the thing is playable, but just barely acceptable. It's an abomination of a way to conclude a series if you are a PC fan of the series. It's impacted how I feel on the game as a whole. As not only did I get to play a boring ass, dreadfully long tank section, but I get to do that on wildly fluctuating framerates and frametimes. It's an abortion of a release and they should own up to how they fucked it up and again, be transparent.

Simple weekly updates would be fine. We are at this stage, testing this and this or something like that.

Or this.

demolitio

Who expected it to be completely fixed? We all read that press release.

People just want some assurances that they're actually working hard on it. This is a game many of us were looking forward to the most and yet we can't play it so it'd be nice to know what's going on after they broke our trust completely.

This isn't WB's first rodeo when it comes PC disasters so trust is low.

Of course my friend who was going to let me borrow the PS4 version decided not to pick up his reserved copy and just bought it digitally instead so my backup plan failed...lol

Spoo

I'd like an update, but primarily because I assumed (foolishly) that the season pass content would be on the same timetable as the console versions -- obviously that's no longer the case now, so I'm sitting here wondering what's going to happen with that. There's more on the table than just the patch, so a little "Here's the current timetable" would be nice.

I mean, guys, Warner Bros., when UbiSoft has more transparency than you in fixing their shitty ass Unity game, you know you have fucked up *severely.*

I just want to know what the hell happened? Talk about it, be transparent. Show that you learned a fucking lesson because the thing is playable, but just barely acceptable. It's an abomination of a way to conclude a series if you are a PC fan of the series. It's impacted how I feel on the game as a whole. As not only did I get to play a boring ass, dreadfully long tank section, but I get to do that on wildly fluctuating framerates and frametimes. It's an abortion of a release and they should own up to how they fucked it up and again, be transparent.

The problems regarding the PC version were caused by WB. Rocksteady and Iron Galaxy can't talk about what happened. WB will avoid the slightest mention of anything that happened.

So unless top level executives at WB changed how they think about, approach and budget games/ports on a fundamental level, there's nothing to stop this from happening with future WB games (hello, Mad Max!). Stop expecting people under NDAs to post a tell-all about Arkham Knight; they want to have jobs or be able to find jobs in the future.

demolitio

I'd like an update, but primarily because I assumed (foolishly) that the season pass content would be on the same timetable as the console versions -- obviously that's no longer the case now, so I'm sitting here wondering what's going to happen with that. There's more on the table than just the patch, so a little "Here's the current timetable" would be nice.

I mean, guys, Warner Bros., when UbiSoft has more transparency than you in fixing their shitty ass Unity game, you know you have fucked up *severely.*

Hell, I could at least play Unity at launch and it was a beautiful game. I'm still waiting to play this one....lol

No one expects an easy fix since it was clearly FUBAR, but they should be alleviating fears right now by communicating with us even if it's simple updates on how it's going.

Hell, I could at least play Unity at launch and it was a beautiful game. I'm still waiting to play this one....lol

No one expects an easy fix since it was clearly FUBAR, but they should be alleviating fears right now by communicating with us even if it's simple updates on how it's going.

I finished it on PC with relatively minor stuttering. My mate on a 780 was the same way.

Just luck of the draw really. I even had all the Nvidia effects on!

Spoo

Heh, I played it on PS4 back when it had like, man, what was it, 7 fps coop play, or something horrendous.

My primary point is, Ubi went as far as to put up a website dedicated to updating people, letting them know what patches fixed what, when they'd be out, etc. I was still fucking furious with them, but in contrast they might as well be CD Projekt Red.

Alright so I'm replaying the series while waiting for the next patch and uh... AC DX11 was nearly as bad as AK with the stuttering on the same rig. I remember it being that way years ago as well, but I figured my current rig would blow through it with no problem.
I restarted Origins yesterday and the performance on a 980 Ti is even worse. Stuttering, frame pacing, etc

I'm starting to think the DX11 client of the Arkham games was always a mess, and as they've built upon it for each game, they've gotten progressively worse in performance.

Regardless, I hope the next patch comes sooner than later. I need my AK fix!

chiliboy

Alright so I'm replaying the series while waiting for the next patch and uh... AC DX11 was nearly as bad as AK with the stuttering on the same rig. I remember it being that way years ago as well, but I figured my current rig would blow through it with no problem.
I restarted Origins yesterday and the performance on a 980 Ti is even worse. Stuttering, frame pacing, etc

I'm starting to think the DX11 client of the Arkham games was always a mess, and as they've built upon it for each game, they've gotten progressively worse in performance.

Yeah I've followed tips on pcgamingwiki for Arkham City and Arkham Asylum and can't get it to run without small stuttering. I've unlocked fps, got all proper settings in nvidia ctrl panel, got all proper settings for my Gsync and Ive frame capped with Rivatuner at 135 fps. Arkham city is almost perfect now, Arkham Asylum still stutters really silly. Gtx 980 and i7 4790k. Might be affinity settings or hyperthreading issue but it is still silly :( Witcher 3 runs flawlessly at 1080p/60!

I played arkham knight for 30 minutes, couldn't stand all the stuttering with and without gameworks (Ive tried all of the tweak guides on pcgamingwiki and steam forum) and decided to wait for patch. So sad really :(

AO DX 11 is great though.

No season pass or other freebies pretty much ensures I'm joining the GOTY for $5 on steam crowd for all of WBE's games.

Freiya

I just started playing AC maxed out dx11. I play at 1440p and also stream locally so my gf can watch me play. Even with that I get pretty smooth 60 fps and no stuttering.

SSD and 290x CF

Booted yesterday and performance was much better for me.

Around PS4 levels, which is still shit considering I have a 970, but better than the 10 fps I was getting last month.

Origins runs like a dream for me. Not sure why your having issues

hlhbk

Or this.

Personally I don't want to hear more excuses I just want the game I paid for to be fixed. They already were transparent by saying this was going to be a long process when the first patch was released. At this point if they set expectations certain things would happen by certain dates the people waiting for it to be fixed would be all over them for any delays.

Regginator

I finished it on PC with relatively minor stuttering. My mate on a 780 was the same way.

Just luck of the draw really. I even had all the Nvidia effects on!

Same here, my first two hours with my 280X were fucking awful, but somehow after that it ran relatively well. Ended up playing it for around 30 hours, 60fps locked indoors and 60-35fps outside with rare acceptable drops to ~24. Not sure what I did to deserve that luck.

"we're listening, still working on it, be patient" is the gist of it.

PC players won't get the Batgirl DLC on time either.

Yeah this sucks, they wait 3 days before batgirl launch to pull this shit smh...and I just 100%'d the game too.
It's really just a giant message of nothing trying to soften the blow for no batgirl. Fuck these disingenuous pr departments.

That would be nice if its true actually and not bullshit.

Translation: we'll delay all our pc games

I would like to think they mean that they'll put more effort into the pc versions so they're released at the same time AND work properly, but that's wishful thinking.

Fucks given will still equal zero, but at least the games will be released in a playable state.

Yeah this sucks, they wait 3 days before batgirl launch to pull this shit smh...and I just 100%'d the game too.
It's really just a giant message of nothing trying to soften the blow for no batgirl. Fuck these disingenuous pr departments.
No offense id rather they fix the game we bought over dlc prep

ClearData

I actually went back and beat Arkham Origins while I wait for Knight to reach its best state. I briefly considered rolling the dice and just playing through. But I realized I really love these Batman games and want to play the best possible version. Hence buying it on PC. I have enough of a backlog that I don't feel the wait too keenly.

P.S. Actually I really enjoyed Origins. Did this game have a bad reputation or something?

Top Bottom