• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Spaghetti

Opinions vary. Still like a 9/10 game for me ignoring technical issues.
yeah, opinions may vary, etc. i didn't like the batmobile but i think they goofed on some combat/predator decisions too. it's bigger, but not necessarily better.

eh, but atleast people like you and I who sucked it up don't have to worry about playing it again lol.
honestly even if they gave us all the dlc for free, i probably wouldn't even bother.

did they confirm no free season pass?

I dont buy it. that shit gonna be free for early owners. there's no way

They haven't confirmed. I wouldn't count on that though. And there's really nothing they could do for the people who got the season pass already, aside from streamlining and giving players access to a debug menu, or adding Steam workshop stuff so that modding is easier.

yeah, opinions may vary, etc. i didn't like the batmobile but i think they goofed on some combat/predator decisions too. it's bigger, but not necessarily better.

honestly even if they gave us all the dlc for free, i probably wouldn't even bother.
The combat and predator gameplay is definitely better overall. Far too much is improved for it to be objectively worse than before — subjectively, I could see someone preferring certain elements of past games.

The only problem is there are no challenge maps to push the systems to their limits as there were in past games. There's nothing in any of the main campaigns of the series that's truly demanding. That comes in the extra challenges that don't exist for this game yet.

Spaghetti

The combat and predator gameplay is definitely better overall. Far too much is improved for it to be objectively worse than before — subjectively, I could see someone preferring certain elements of past games.

The only problem is there are no challenge maps to push the systems to their limits as there were in past games. There's nothing in any of the main campaigns of the series that's truly demanding. That comes in the extra challenges that don't exist for this game yet.
well if you want an example, i think the fear takedowns made things too easy. they totally missed a trick by not tying that in with the fear level experienced by enemies.

actually another sprung to mind, there are way too many grates in most predator encounters. seriously.

and now a third one comes to mind as well. combat encounters leaned too heavily on big guys/electric goons.

the systems are better than ever, but i totally think they screwed the pooch on implementation.

pottuvoi

Banned
Well... That makes it useless for trying to run Lightboosted? Can they seriously not go the extra step and provide a 120 and 144hz option? That seems like such an absurd limit
It is, considering no monitor without free/G/N-Sync or perhaps a custom profile can display it properly. (well,CRT monitors can, so good for people who use them. ;))

Sober

well if you want an example, i think the fear takedowns made things too easy. they totally missed a trick by not tying that in with the fear level experienced by enemies.

actually another sprung to mind, there are way too many grates in most predator encounters. seriously.

and now a third one comes to mind as well. combat encounters leaned too heavily on big guys/electric goons.

the systems are better than ever, but i totally think they screwed the pooch on implementation.
Definitely I agree with how Fear Takedowns work in predator, it really just means that they have to tack an extra 5 dudes into an encounter to offset the fact you'll probably just nail 5 of them out with no effort. Otherwise, I think the new predator changes are great.

Combat is trickier because the times you face off against brutes of any variety, the arena sucks balls. It's either really tight quarters and the camera fucks you or the encounter design is stupidly balanced.

And there's really nothing they could do for the people who got the season pass already

Uh, hello, free Mad Max?

No, seriously, I won't be happy until I have a decently running Arkham Knight and something for putting faith in them by getting the game + season pass. (Purchased on the cheap, but still)

If they try to get out of this by "just" releasing a patch they'll never live it down. They're going to be notorious for this port for a while regardless, but they can certainly do something to smooth things over a bit.

Sober

B:AK season pass owners are not getting Mad Max.

WB is a piece of shit, but they have standards. They won't just cave over to PC gamers like that.

viveks86

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/145592751466193037

Dear Batman: Arkham Knight PC community,

The teams have been working hard to address the issues with the PC version of the game. We are happy to confirm that we are now putting the first interim patch into testing. If all goes well, we expect to issue the patch in the next few weeks. We’ll be sure to report back in the next two weeks on how the testing is coming along.

Below are some of the major fixes and improvements you can expect in the upcoming patch:

• Reduced frame rate hitches
• Optimized system memory and VRAM usage
• Improved performance on all GPUs (requires the latest drivers)
o Min Spec AMD GPU is once again the Radeon HD 7870 2GB

• More Robust In-Game Settings, including:
o Added the ability to change settings for Max FPS to 30/60/90
o Added toggles for Motion Blur, Chromatic Aberration, and Film Grain
o Added a “High” Texture Resolution value
o Added Texture Filtering option
o Added an Adaptive V-Sync option (NVIDIA only)
o Added VRAM Usage Meter
o Added Mouse Sensitivity Slider & Mouse Smoothing Option

• Fixed low resolution texture bugs
• Fixed hitches when running on mechanical hard drives (HDD)

While our first priority is fixing the issues listed above, the team is continuing to work on the following:

• Skipping the boot up splash screens
• DLC/Season Pass content
• Additional updates such as Photo Mode

We again thank you for your continued patience as we work on these issues. As always, we are continuing to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

What else is there to fix if this is the "interim" patch? Seems to cover all the major issues. I can skip the boot up screens already by renaming the video files.

Seems the patch is delayed by a week or 2, but it sounds promising.

Hope photo mode comes out soon after. Makes a huge difference for me.

KingBroly

Banned
What else is there to fix if this is the "interim" patch? Seems to cover all the major issues. I can skip the boot up screens already by renaming the video files.

Seems the patch is delayed by a week or 2, but it sounds promising.

Hope photo mode comes out soon after. Makes a huge difference for me.

It doesn't seem like they've completely fixed some of the issues they've listed, namely the framerate drops.

Mivey

WB is a piece of shit, but they have standards. They won't just cave over to PC gamers like that.
Makes sense, they don't give a fuck about PC gamers, but they are doing it equally
and their ignorance is distributed evenly.

Kezen

Banned

I assume this is simply a renaming and there won't be any higher resolution textures than the ones the game shipped with.

So, it's been reduced but not totally fixed/eliminated? What a fucking joke.
It can't be completely eliminated, sometimes the hitches are due to the API or driver.

laxu

I would not be surprised if the "interim patch" was the last one for a long time.

It's also interesting that there is still a framerate limiter with 90 fps being the top. Either their game engine or physics are tied to framerate and break above that or there is something else going on. I'm also interested why they have an Nvidia-only V-Sync option as enabling G-Sync is in all other games achieved just by enabling it from the control panel and setting V-Sync off in the game.

Also why the hell is skipping splash screens something they can't fit into this patch? It's literally "if button pressed, stop splash screen videos and go to main menu".

Maybe next year when I have actually time to play this (considering MGS V comes out next month) it'll actually work.

I can't believe it's been this long tbh and they're still saying a few weeks away

I played through it at launch on PS4 thankfully but I really want to replay it and I already sold the PS4 copy. Hope this patch makes that manageable.

^^^^^^^^ ok but explain why Unreal Engine 3 doesn't hitch on the consoles.

So, it's been reduced but not totally fixed/eliminated? What a fucking joke.

Game development is hard, and dubious, and takes time and effort.

Should Iron Galaxy and Rocksteady apologize for working on fixing the game!?

!?!?!?!?

My cynical ass would normally agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that Assassin's Creed: Unity season pass owners got Far Cry 4 for free.

Shari

My cynical ass would normally agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that Assassin's Creed: Unity season pass owners got Far Cry 4 for free.

Somehow WB manages to be even more jackasses than Ubisoft, who would have told, huh?

In any case I dont expect to get jackshit, just fix the damn game already, I'm waiting to play new game plus PROPERLY.

scoobs

For those of us dumb enough to have purchased the season pass (me), any idea when that shit will work on PC? Getting kind of annoyed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Here's what I said in another thread:

The situations aren't exactly identical: Ubi outright "cancelled" Unity's Season Pass by way of releasing the meat of it for free whereas Arkham Knight's has just been delayed. That said, if WB is to offer some sort of recompense [to existing owners of the game], then Season Pass holders ought to be entitled to a little extra something given they parted with more money.

I own the Season Pass myself but don't agree that we in particular are owed something just because the release of the DLC has been pushed back by what is essentially a retroactive delay of the base game.

While our first priority is fixing the issues listed above, the team is continuing to work on the following:

Man, their most talented engineers are all hard at work to make splash screens skippable, but you have to accept when a task is just above your skills.

Please desist, WB, we will forgive if you can't fix what's honestly way too complex to accomplish realistically.

Man, their most talented engineers are all hard at work to make splash screens skippable, but you have to accept when a task is just above your skills.

Please desist, WB, we will forgive if you can't fix what's honestly way too complex to accomplish realistically.

But they verified the integrity of the cache. What more do you want?!

That's because they cancelled the season pass for AC:U. They have signaled no intention of doing here. The free DLC was "sorry" for people who bought the game and the free game was "sorry" for the people who bought the season pass.

In this case they pulled the game from sale. People who bought it on steam could and did get refunds (presumably the largest share of owners by a comfortable margin), people who bought it elsewhere may or may not have got refunds depending on the retailer. But WB pressured GMG to give refunds even though they normally wouldn't in a case like this. Statistically a large majority would have been eligible for refunds. The largest group disenfranchised would probably be the Nvidia code recipients, although some of these also managed to wrangle MGS for free if they got lucky. It sucks that some people slip through the cracks but it's not really "required" for WB to give everyone a free full priced retail game, they've already taken pretty bold action here. Pulling it from sale is unprecedented. Assuming the patch notes aren't any kind of exaggeration, it means we got a post-launch delay of a couple of months for the PC version for those "stuck" with the game, which sucks but could have been way worse.

Setsuna

I WANT FREE SHIT I HAVE BEEN WRONGED GIVE ME FREE SHIT OH GOD PLS

that is what i would say in this situation and such.

That's what I AM saying in this situation and such

Ill take bribes of any kind as long as they are limited to actual things I want

Kezen

Banned
Normal is PS4 level, right? I'm fine with that if they got it down to 2GB VRAM required and High needing 3GB+.
PS4 textures look really good.

Normal are PS4/XBO textures and are said to require 3gb+ of VRAM.
They could certainly be better but I'm okay with that, I would be shocked if the next patch will introduce higher quality textures.
Something tells me this is merely a renaming, high will be the new normal basically.

Omega

Banned

"standards"

Usually when a company fucks up on this level, you usually swallow your pride and try to salvage the situation as best as you can. Has nothing to do with caving to PC gamers since Ubisoft did it with AC: Unity.

strafer

The teams have been working hard to address the issues with the PC version of the game. We are happy to confirm that we are now putting the first interim patch into testing. If all goes well, we expect to issue the patch in the next few weeks. We’ll be sure to report back in the next two weeks on how the testing is coming along.

Below are some of the major fixes and improvements you can expect in the upcoming patch:

o Added VRAM Usage Meter

We again thank you for your continued patience as we work on these issues. As always, we are continuing to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

All I want is that they add the rain effects on the suit that the PS4 version has.

Nzyme32

o Added VRAM Usage Meter

NOTE - This is the first interim patch, practically suggesting that there will be more than one interim patch before the game is in a good enough state to go back on sale. Keep your expectations suitably low

Vuze

It is only the 21st mind you.
we expect to issue the patch in the next few weeks
tho, there's 1 1/2 week left in August
Sounds decent enough for me but all this should've been in the initial release. I'll probably revisit the game when all DLC and photo mode is out. Free Mad Max would be nice but I don't think we'll get anything.

Toggle for chromatic aberration? Fuck yes thank you!

It's something that should've been there to begin with, tbh.

Here's what I said in another thread:

I own the Season Pass myself but don't agree that we in particular are owed something just because the release of the DLC has been pushed back by what is essentially a retroactive delay of the base game.

All of this.

On top of that, the only things they could get owners of the game and season pass would be something beyond the season pass content, or beyond the features in these patch notes (all stuff that are just basic options these days). Unless they put the game up on Steam workshop and allow for the community to create custom gameplay scenarios, then the most they can do is release promised (and reasonably expected) content and features.

Fear takedowns do make things easier, but "too easy" can be applicable to every basic main-story gameplay scenario in this series. You could always spam batclaw and pull guys off catwalks for easy KOs, or escape to ever present gargoyles (and there was always an alternative when those were booby-trapped). Same goes for the floor gratings (which can be destroyed by enemies this time around). Merely finishing these scenarios has always been easy.

The true challenge comes from atypical scenarios like hostage situations, some militia chekcpoints/watchtowers or like the final sequence in the four-part predator scenario in the main mission string (
Arkham Knight
). Having to navigate turrets or drone cannons requires another layer of planning from the player — without the upgrades to directly counter this stuff (blinding/sabotaging drones, hacking drone pilots/medics, etc.), these become more difficult than any predator sequence before this game. Even the small handful of AR challenges are decently difficult with their extra three-star requirements. It's one thing to have the fear takedowns to use whenever you want, but when you're required to get a four-man fear takedown and there are only six guys, and you can't take damage, and you have to leave a particular enemy for last, that is a challenge. AK hasn't had the opportunity to show off how challenging it can be because the main stories in all these games are meant to be easy so everyone can get through them.

You still have enemies who can't be taken out conventionally (minigun brutes) and enemies who actually counter the use of detective vision (trackers and heat-shields). On higher difficulties, you lose your ability to fear takedown if you're spotted. If that's incorporated into the coming extra challenges, then all the added moves that make things easier will be necessary.

Not sure what to say about the combat — big guys and electric enemies are just more variables to contend with, just like what was done with Arkham City. They make the fights more challenging without merely relying on adding more enemies (which, in this series, doesn't make fights harder, only longer). They leaned on those enemy types to a reasonable degree, and there are plenty of fights without them.

Brakus

Banned
Iron Galaxy are abysmal, to take this long to even half fix this is pretty shocking! They must have felt embarrassed turning into work knowing they are producing the biggest pile of shit in years, WB need to step up here.

Top Bottom