• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

SliChillax

Uh oh my arkham knight just updated

6ADLV4r.gif

Any early impressions?

derExperte

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/145594019968443309

Good news - testing for the interim patch has been completed and it is now available for those who already have Batman: Arkham Knight for PC. As a reminder, below are some of the major fixes and improvements that will be addressed with this patch:

Reduced frame rate hitches
Optimizations for system memory and VRAM usage
Improved performance on all GPUs (requires the latest drivers)
More Comprehensive In-Game Settings
Fixed low resolution texture bugs
Fixed hitches when running on mechanical hard drives (HDD)

In addition to the above, we’re continuing to work on the following for future updates:
Adding support for SLI and Crossfire
Adding support for the latest DLC & Season Pass content
Adding support for additional updates such as Photo Mode
Continued improvements and bug fixing for a Windows 7 specific memory issue that occurs on configurations with 8GB of system RAM and some NVIDIA GPUs during extended game play
Continued improvements for Windows 10 specific issues on systems with some AMD GPUs

As always, we will monitor for any additional issues that come up and will provide further optimizations and bug fixes along the way.

We would like to thank everyone for their patience and invaluable feedback. We’ll provide ongoing updates here as they are made available. In the meantime, please enjoy the game with the latest patch.

- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Setsuna

Out of everything they changed the only thing i truly notice is that i can now hang on helicopters

Has this white frost on the bottom of the screen always been there?

Well initial impressions is that it's better but still pretty dogshit (for me at least). The game takes a full minute or more to start and still doesn't properly close when I quit, have to kill via task manager. With all NVIDIA stuff off but all the other settings turned up I dip down to as low as 33fps in the batmobile, which is better than the 15 before. Gliding around the city, again is much better. With the framerate capped to 90 and vsync off I get as high as 80fps and as low as mid 40's flying around. It also is seemingly pushing my RAM and CPU to near max, while only pushing my GPU to about 45% power.

I've got a 980ti, 17-2600k @ 4.4, 8GB RAM, and Windows 10.

Very curious to see how this patch is for others. It's absolutely made things better, but it's still fairly brutal to play.

Played about 4 mins before crash. Frame rate seems better, but good grief this "interm" patch is coming in hot. Frame rate is capped at 60 on 1080p and dipping into the 40s while gliding around town. Batmobile seems ok from the few moments I was able to try it out before it hard crashed.

i7 4790, 16GB RAM, GTX 980ti, Windows 10, Installed on a SSD.

Guess I should try the game now that the patch has been released... This should be fun.

What's your source for this?

Source for what? Avalanche isn't owned by WB unlike Rocksteady, that automatically puts them less under the thumb of WB when it comes to the business side of the studio. I'm not sure if George Miller is in control or what level of control he has of the merchandising rights compared to Warner and admittedly not really sure how much of a hand WB had in the game's development but in the end it's irrelevant since Avalanche, like Monolith which is owned by WB, has a good history with PC games while Rocksteady doesn't have much of one to begin with and Arkham City was unplayable unless you disabled DX11. Whoever decided to outsource the PC version is to blame just as it is with NetherRealm and MKX.

Boycotting Mad Max because of WB and Rocksteady's incompetence is stupid.

Kabuto

reposting from the other thread

PSA to whoever edited the config files over the past couple months:

Go to the steam folder the game is installed in, BMGame > Config (then delete BmEngine.ini and BmSystemSettings.ini)

credit to Steam forum members

I was stuttering with tons of textures not loading in or the game would just crash. After deleting the two files, I get 30-50fps on Normal with my GTX 670. The biggest thing for me is that ALL THE TEXTURES ARE LOADED IN NOW.

seph1roth

Well, started a new game, and...wow, i must say...it's impressive.

Everything maxed at 1080p, gameworks inclusive, with this specs:

4770K non OC

970 Gaming G1

60fps every fucking time, only a little drops when a lot of smoke fills the screen into the 40s or something but it's only in specific moments, overall gameplay feels SO smooth at 60fps.

I also tried it without the smoke, and everything else maxed and activated, average of 70-80 fps...

The options menu says that i'm running more than 4Gb of VRAM but i don't have any slutter moment, nothing...

As i said...very impressive.

BUT it's the beggining of the game, i don't know if there's moments in the game that ruins the performance. And it seems like the rain bug is still there...nothing is perfect but, it's something.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The game runs flawlessly on my system with rock solid 60 FPS at 1080p and everything cranked to max except interactive smoke/fog which requires GPU with 6 GB VRAM (980Ti).

Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0 GHz
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 AMP! Edition
Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB

Damn, was it really that hard to release the game on PC early in september at the first place? I mean, we all know (but devs and pubs should know better) PC is not a console and it requires more time to make a proper PC version which will run smooth and without stutter fest. Sure, in this case PC players would have to wait almost 3 months or so for a proper PC release, but in the end result would be a much better product and epic failure could have been avoided but nope, it seems for WB this wasn't an option.

JRW

Wow this game is a VRAM hog, My GTX 670 FTW 2GB can only do LOW texture quality if I want to keep usage below 2GB.

The game is true on its warning about stuttering when exceeding vram limits, If I use the settings from the screencap below then the stuttering is virtually gone, but If I try anything higher (even Normal textures) then it's a stuttering mess:

Jd9hxhu.png

Layell

well it took them 2 months but batman is fixed.

Not even close

getting solid performance, even with settings at 60 FPS and low my 280 is pulling at least a solid 30 all around. Then game crashed. Too bad the game wasn't at this at least at launch. Played for 30 minutes.

hlhbk

First off Specs:

Intel 4790K
Nvidia GTX 980
16 GB RAM
SSD
Win 10
Gsync (so vsync not needed)

Before the patch I was generally between 30-40 FPS with everything maxed except for the nvidia smoke. I had all of the stuff reported here. Rain effects missing, bad textures, stuttering, and massive frame rate drops for no reason. If I dove as batman while gliding I would drop from 55 fps to the high 30's. I am letting the game run at 90 FPS now and it never goes below 60 FPS for me in the same spots as before with everything maxed except for no Nvidia smoke. Looks like I will be replaying this right away!

Naedtrax

Banned
Perfect performance for me now! Downsampling from 2880x1620 everything maxed with Chromatic Abberation and Film Grain off, haven't dipped below 60 once and im usually sitting on 90 fps.

Rip

my gpu usage in this game is garbage. It just wont go above like 70% and usually drops to 40% out of nowhere and does not like to stay at 60fps

Sijil

770 4GB, getting smooth 30FPS on the highest settings on 1080p with all Nvidia features on except smoke/fog. Going to disable motion blur and chromatic aberration since I hate that shit.

It's a shame that there are still no Anti-Aliasing options, I guess we're stuck with using console settings for now and it might be too time consuming for them to add other options similar to the previous Batman games which had a slew of AA settings.

sgs2008

well damn performance so much better now, Would be nice to have sli support but one titan x is getting me 70-90 fps at 1440p maxed out. So prob dont even need it

Spoit

Yeah I dunno, with my 3.4Ghz i5, 290x, and 8GB RAM, it's still running pretty terribly. Was still getting frequent single digit FPS drops after only 5 minutes of play

Kezen

Banned
Yeah I dunno, with my 3.4Ghz i5, 290x, and 8GB RAM, it's still running pretty terribly. Was still getting frequent single digit FPS drops after only 5 minutes of play

Possibly driver related, wait until AMD release another one more optimized for the game.

PC Bros,

At work right now so can't get the new patch or test my self.

What can i expect (in terms of FPS) with 2x780Ti with most stuff at max?

Sijil

PC Bros,

With everything on max except smoke/fog, I never seem to drop below 30 with a 770 4GB. So you should fair far better, what's important is that they managed to fix most of the texture streaming issues that were causing lag and stutter.

Kezen

Banned
PC Bros,

If you disable one of your card (SLI is not yet supported but surely you are not surprised by erratic support for SLI/Crossfire) it will run much better but you should be careful with maximum settings, even on a 780ti.

And don't set your texture quality to high.

If you disable one of your card (SLI is not yet supported but surely you are not surprised by erratic support for SLI/Crossfire) it will run much better but you should be careful with maximum settings, even on a 780ti.

And don't set your texture quality to high.

The new support for SLI doesn't work??!

it was one of the points in their changelog:

Banned
Im calling clowns not the patch fixes or doesnt fix X or Y.

Im calling these people clowns because they release a broken game (hello QA).
They release a hotfix a few days in to fix water effects but you have to start a new game.
They say they will patch it in August.
It gets leaked by a random gamestop that wont be ready until mid september.
A few days from the end of August they list again what things they are working on and they point to an interim patch that would be released at some point in september.
They screw up the testing and they release the patch to public.
They set the patch as private a few hours later when for majority of people patch was running better than original and its not even auto-patched.

I mean, let alone the latest part with the patch, you fucking KNOW that patch wont be ready in august, you know it from the very beggining and you lie and you get caught a couple of days later and everything is proven not a month after.

You dont want to call anyone a clown? Fair enough. This is a fucking disgrace, on a technical level and on a management level.

And the events from yesterday with the patch are just the cherry on top of the cake and a good proof of how incompetent WB/Rocksteady are.

Boh ok guys. I dunno why anyone would think this is about the patch or the game. I'm 20 hours in TPP and Mad max awaits (with an actual decent port), plus I've already finished this game.

You can be unskilled while remaining professional, they are neither but I seem to be the only bothered by it. Whatever, good riddance.

LOL, I can't even.

Instead of being sarcastic and confusing you even more I'm going to educate you.

I despise unprofessional work, not anyone in the game industry.
B:AK port was handled by Iron Galaxy Studios.
Rework of B:AK is done in house by Rocksteady (and one might just argue that uploading those patch iterations to steam is also done by Rocksteady)
Mad Max port was done in house by Avalanche Studios.

Make what you will out of it.

Appropriate since it's a batman thread.

Roni

Gold Member
With Interactive Fog ON I get 35-40 FPS when using the car to wheel around and populate the screen with the Fog. 55-60 FPS everywhere else.

Ended up leaving Fog on and locking at 30. I'm a sucker for those Gameworks options.

i7 4790
16Gb RAM
970 for rendering
970 for Physx
Windows 10

Kezen

Banned
The new support for SLI doesn't work??!

it was one of the points in their changelog:

Reduced frame rate hitches
Optimizations for system memory and VRAM usage
Improved performance on all GPUs (requires the latest drivers)
More Comprehensive In-Game Settings
Fixed low resolution texture bugs
Fixed hitches when running on mechanical hard drives (HDD)

In addition to the above, we’re continuing to work on the following for future updates:
Adding support for the latest DLC & Season Pass content
Adding support for additional updates such as Photo Mode
Continued improvements and bug fixing for a Windows 7 specific memory issue that occurs on configurations with 8GB of system RAM and some NVIDIA GPUs during extended game play
Continued improvements for Windows 10 specific issues on systems with some AMD GPUs

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/145594019968443309

Don't even expect SLI to be fully working.

scitek

Well, I just played for about two hours on a 970 and it's practically as smooth as 60fps can be in an open-world Unreal Engine 3 game. This is with everything on high except textures on Normal, and the bottom two Nvidia effects on at 1080p. There's always going to be some minor hitching at certain times in UE3 games, but it's a HUGE difference for me from before the patch. It just emphasizes how poorly it was optimized before, though, that I can run it like this on the same exact hardware. You'd think I'd have totally rebuilt my PC or something.

d00d3n

Well, I just played for about two hours on a 970 and it's practically as smooth as 60fps can be in an open-world Unreal Engine 3 game. This is with everything on high except textures on Normal, and the bottom two Nvidia effects on at 1080p. There's always going to be some minor hitching at certain times in UE3 games, but it's a HUGE difference for me from before the patch. It just emphasizes how poorly it was optimized before, though, that I can run it like this on the same exact hardware. You'd think I'd have totally rebuilt my PC or something.

What vsync/frame limiting settings did you use? Only in-game?

Kazdane

Has anyone tried the game on a r9 290 after the patch? I was planning to start playing Mad Max this weekend, but I may get on this if it's working fine...

Top Bottom