• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

KHlover

Banned
Guys, I really urge you to be patient and give them a chance to fix things.

I think at least those who paid full price on Steam should get their refund for now. Refunding and buying again once the problems are fixed sends a stronger message to WB than just waiting for a patch, imo.

Hi Guys,

A quick one as i've not had time to work through the 40 pages of this thread so far.

I downloaded last night (yes all night, my broadband reaches speeds similar to a cup and string system) and booted quickly this morning.

I only ran the benchmark tool in the options menu but i was surprised it was as low as it is.

Question then: Is the scores from that tool indicative of actually gamplay?

I run 1440p (G-Sync) with 2x780Ti (16gb Ram, 4770k @4.3m SSD etc..). I get late 50s on Witcher 3 (with dips here and there) but on that benchmark the low point was.... 21.

21 ?

Twenty One!

So either tat tool is not indicative of gameplay (like Mordor) the game is very unoptimised or my 1 year old PC is ready for the bin now.

Gameplay runs much worse, going by the reports here.

Evo X

Hi Guys,

A quick one as i've not had time to work through the 40 pages of this thread so far.

I downloaded last night (yes all night, my broadband reaches speeds similar to a cup and string system) and booted quickly this morning.

I only ran the benchmark tool in the options menu but i was surprised it was as low as it is.

Question then: Is the scores from that tool indicative of actually gamplay?

I run 1440p (G-Sync) with 2x780Ti (16gb Ram, 4770k @4.3m SSD etc..). I get late 50s on Witcher 3 (with dips here and there) but on that benchmark the low point was.... 21.

21 ?

Twenty One!

So either tat tool is not indicative of gameplay (like Mordor) the game is very unoptimised or my 1 year old PC is ready for the bin now.

SLI not working right now. Your frames should double once it's fixed.

I think at least those who paid full price on Steam should get their refund for now. Refunding and buying again once the problems are fixed sends a stronger message to WB than just waiting for a patch, imo.

Of course, that's fair.

My message was for those with Nvidia or GMG copies who were already losing hope and claiming this game was a lost cause.

Yeah, those "game ready" batman ones that just came out. I'm on a one day old Windows 10 install. My wc'd Titan X is running the hydro copper bios (1354mhz boost) with no memory overclock at the moment. I had to reinstall my OS after DDU hosed it when trying to see if older drivers fixed the chrome driver crashing.

Never use DDU. I've read more horror stories about how it hosed people's entire OSes than I care to count on my fingers. If you're going to a full Nvidia driver cleanup, do it manually, it's pretty easy.

Follow these directions for a relatively painless manual cleanup:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/how-to-remove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers/0_100

Zemm

Now you guys discover what it truly means to be "in the Lang zone"

langzone.gif

Apparently it means bad optimization, texture streaming issues, crashes, a useless benchmark, a lack of options and terrible DRM :(

fuck dave lang!

So, I've been playing since around 10:30pm and it is now 3am and I am absolutely knackered.

So far without removing the FPS cap I've had pretty flawless gameplay except for a couple points here and there, and the initial cutscene going into
Ace Chemicals
but it smoothed out right around when
I'm guessing Arkham Knight in a helicopter staring down Batman. I played through till you rescued the hostage.
. According to the benchmark I never dipped below a minimum of 35 FPS and stayed around 50-60 with vsync on in most of the scenarios, haven't tried it without vsync.

As for actual gameplay like I said, haven't had much issues at all and it's been pretty smooth with AA off(game looks fine to me without it), and gameworks on.

I read earlier that a lot of people couldn't select the options for Gameworks unless they had the latest drivers. Not true in my case as I run the 350.12 geforce drivers and haven't bothered installing the new ones since the last two releases from Nvidia have been pretty terrible from what I've seen. They were toggleable and enabled when I was playing, the smoke and fog are pretty cool, but the rainworks/turbulence is stunning.

So overall, I seem to be in the minority in not having any issues and have been enjoying the game immensely.

My system:

Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
12gb ram
GTX 980
Windows 7 64 bit

I run everything at 1080P mostly because I can't tell that much of a difference between 4k and 1080 and I don't want to invest in the hardware to get reasonable fps at 4k.

My heart goes out to those afflicted with issues though, in this day and age we shouldn't have to worry about bad ports and yet here we are again in another situation where some are perfectly fine whereas the majority seem to be having major issues.

sgs2008

It's ironic that the first game to come out after the 970 release was Shadow of Mordor and now this after the 980 Ti. However, the cruelest thing would be if the game is causing 970 stutters in the last .5gb.

Yeah, those "game ready" batman ones that just came out. I'm on a one day old Windows 10 install. My wc'd Titan X is running the hydro copper bios (1354mhz boost) with no memory overclock at the moment. I had to reinstall my OS after DDU hosed it when trying to see if older drivers fixed the chrome driver crashing.

Strange that we have sucha huge difference in fps using more or less the same config. Only thing is you are using windows 10 but I cant imagine that would have a large impact. O well.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So, I've been playing since around 10:30pm and it is now 3am and I am absolutely knackered.

So far without removing the FPS cap I've had pretty flawless gameplay except for a couple points here and there, and the initial cutscene going into
Ace Chemicals
but it smoothed out right around when
I'm guessing Arkham Knight in a helicopter staring down Batman. I played through till you rescued the hostage.
. According to the benchmark I never dipped below a minimum of 35 FPS and stayed around 50-60 with vsync on in most of the scenarios, haven't tried it without vsync.

As for actual gameplay like I said, haven't had much issues at all and it's been pretty smooth with AA off(game looks fine to me without it), and gameworks on.

I read earlier that a lot of people couldn't select the options for Gameworks unless they had the latest drivers. Not true in my case as I run the 350.12 geforce drivers and haven't bothered installing the new ones since the last two releases from Nvidia have been pretty terrible from what I've seen. They were toggleable and enabled when I was playing, the smoke and fog are pretty cool, but the rainworks/turbulence is stunning.

So overall, I seem to be in the minority in not having any issues and have been enjoying the game immensely.

My system:

Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
12gb ram
GTX 980
Windows 7 64 bit

I run everything at 1080P mostly because I can't tell that much of a difference between 4k and 1080 and I don't want to invest in the hardware to get reasonable fps at 4k.

My heart goes out to those afflicted with issues though, in this day and age we shouldn't have to worry about bad ports and yet here we are again in another situation where some are perfectly fine whereas the majority seem to be having major issues.
You do know you've been playing at 30fps, right? The benchmark isn't capped like the actual game is.

You do know you've been playing at 30fps, right? The benchmark isn't capped like the actual game is.

Yes I even acknowledged that fact in one of my sentences.

I imagine I'd be sitting around 60 maybe a little less if I bothered to remove the cap, and I don't really care about 60FPS most of the time, especially in Batman games.

EDIT: As long as the framerate is fairly stable and there isn't a lot of framerate hitching/lag, I'm pretty much golden.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Yes I even acknowledged that fact in one of my sentences.

I imagine I'd be sitting around 60 maybe a little less if I bothered to remove the cap, and I don't really care about 60FPS most of the time, especially in Batman games.
You acknowledged it but the proceeded to mention benchmark scores. Sorry, but you own a 980. You deserve more than 30fps.

CUD

Banned
I've got significant performance increases after disabling gameworks, I'm not sure if the other things I disabled in the config file made much of a difference or not though.

You acknowledged it but the proceeded to mention benchmark scores. Sorry, but you own a 980. You deserve more than 30fps.

I mentioned the benchmark scores just because, as you pointed out I knew full well that the game would be locked at 30FPS.

I just want a mostly flawless gameplay experience, and seeing as I have that I am happy.

It's a weird situation, though. Did Rocksteady themselves handle this port? I went ahead and bought the PS4 version on disc since it seems like the PC version isn't great (at least for my old 780). I'm stunned at how polished and impressive the game looks on PS4. The frame-rate is very very consistent and the level of detail and effects work is just remarkable. The game seems ready to jump in and out of anything without a single stutter or hiccup. You never see texture pop-in, LOD issues or stuttering of any sort. It just feels totally solid in a way that I didn't think would be possible especially when pushing UE3 in this way. When you first do the antenna scanning thing the game zooms out to show the entire city in a single shot with such a smooth pan that looks so natural. This is all WITHOUT the day 1 patch installed. Straight off the disc this is an insanely polished experience. I hope other developers take note.

The point is, this is the most polished console release we've seen in the last year, I'd say (outside of Nintendo's games), so it's absolutely fucking shocking to me that the PC version is running into so many issues. I'll test it when I get a chance since I have access to the PC version as well. I wonder if some of the issues are related to the way the game streams assets? It seems very aggressive in how quickly it moves between scenes and the pace of the game is very fast. Knowing how UE3 has, in the past, had stuttering and streaming issues on the PC it makes it seem like it's related to those old legacy issues. I suspect it would perform much nicer had they built the game in UE4.

I could not possibly disagree more. It still has some UE3 related issues but, overall, the quality of the visuals here is a massive step up from most other games on the market today. The animation, effects, and ability to transition so smoothly between everything is just incredible. I know some people just want ultra sharp visuals without any post-processing (which I find insane since that's basically moving in the opposite direction of CG) but surely you can appreciate what's going on in this game.

The detail is a generation beyond previous Batman Arkham titles.

wait, the ridiculously in your face lod popping im getting isnt there on ps4? wow. i dont agree that the game is ugly, but when you say it looks much better than most other games on the market, are you referring to last gen UE3 games?

So I just played for about an hour and a half. My specs are not quite "recommended" but with a 30 FPS cap, 1080p, and with AA on, Textures at "Low", Shadows on "Medium", Level of Detail at "High", and GamesWorks Enhanced Rain and Light beams turned on (I am not noticing any difference with the rain?), I have a pretty stable framerate. There are isolated moments of some minor stuttering but it seems to run pretty decent and stay at a pretty stable framerate 90% of the time.

i7 920 overclocked to 3.9 GHZ
12 GB RAM
GTX 770 2 GB

erawsd

Yeah. I hope they get hit hard with refunds, at least now gamers (that bought the game on Steam) have a powerful tool with which to vote with their wallet

I just realized that getting huge discounts from GMG now has the serious drawback of not being able to utilize refunds. Definitely something to consider moving forward.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
wait, the ridiculously in your face lod popping im getting isnt their on ps4? wow. i dont agree that the game is ugly, but when you say it looks much better than most other games on the market, are you referring to last gen UE3 games?
No, there is no aggressive LOD popping on PS4. LOD transitions are hidden very well. No texture pop-in either. It's not a problem in the least.

I do think it looks better than most other games on the market, actually, not just last gen UE3 games. I just love the VFX work, though.

While they are doing very very different things I think it looks much MUCH more impressive in motion than, say, The Witcher 3.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
No, there is no aggressive LOD popping on PS4. LOD transitions are hidden very well. No texture pop-in either.

I do think it looks better than most other games on the market, actually, not just last gen UE3 games. I just love the VFX work, though.

While they are doing very very different things I think it looks much MUCH more impressive in motion than, say, The Witcher 3.
Clearly I am not getting these amazing graphics on my PC. Might have to check out the PS4 version tomorrow.

dex3108

Obviously they optimised game for huge amount of console VRAM. So on PC you need 3+GB of VRAM for 30FPS and 6GB for smooth 60FPS. Even then you will see drops.

Grassy

OK I haven't read the whole thread, but I've lost the ability of using SLI with this game. It was working fine with the 353.12 drivers, but after disabling SLI in the control panel for some 4k DSR benchmarks with one of my 980 Ti's(I have an Acer G-Sync monitor, so I can't use DSR+SLI at the same time), SLI has since refused to work on this game.

I've since installed the 353.30 "Game Ready" drivers, and SLI is enabled in the control panel and is working in every other game, but not this one...trying to work out wtf is going on.

...and the piece of shit crashes every time I exit it, fucking hell.

I'm not sure what exactly happened but even after uncapping the frame rate, disabling the motion blur I was still getting less 20-25 FPS ... UNTILL
I got the new Bat Suit
. I don't know why but the game smoothed out immensely after that.

It's still a terrible port and I'm hoping we get that patch soon but until then the game is actually somewhat playable now.

viveks86

Guys, after hours of experimenting, it's pretty clear that the game isn't designed for 60 fps. It is simply never consistent no matter what resolution it runs at. I increased the max fps to 120 and used adaptive vsync 1/2 refresh rate to give me a locked 30 at 4K. Game doesn't budge from it no matter what and there are no stutters/tearing so far, including the batmobile. I use my 2nd titan x for gpu physx and it gets used up to 40% at peak, while the first gpu gets used in the 90s at peak. It really feels a lot smoother than a varying framerate. Going to roll with this until there are driver/game updates. Looks gorgeous at 4K

batmanak2015-06-2301-oqx2w.png

batmanak2015-06-2301-5oywb.png

batmanak2015-06-2301-hnlo1.png

batmanak2015-06-2301-82bti.png

No, there is no aggressive LOD popping on PS4. LOD transitions are hidden very well. No texture pop-in either. It's not a problem in the least.

i absolutely couldnt agree more with the bolded. will you be doing the faceoff article? if not let us know if you get the horrid lod popping when you try the pc version. i dont understand how it could be this bad and not be a platform agnostic game issue.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Obviously they optimised game for huge amount of console VRAM. So on PC you need 3+GB of VRAM for 30FPS and 6GB for smooth 60FPS. Even then you will see drops.

Both the PS4 and X1 set aside 3GB for the OS, leaving 5GB in total for devs. VRAM usage on consoles wouldn't be higher than 4GB.

sgs2008

ok THANKS, I can obv. disable it for specific games too right? I'm at work right now so just checking my bearings ^^;

Yep just go under manage 3d settings in the control panel select the game you want and under sli settings choose select single gpu

Question.

is there a program that can display the fps of the game while i am playing ? " like something on the left or right side of the screen corners. ?

i want to know what is the fps i am hitting all the time.

preferably some small sized program that doesn't take much resources. i have ATI card here.

No need to download FRAPS. Steam has a built-in frame counter in Settings, and if you're using a recent Nvidia card, so does Nvidia Geforce Experience (it's under options for Shadowplay).

Take it from someone who has obsessed over FPS to an unhealthy extent: once you get the game running as well as it can, turn the counter off, otherwise you'll never be able to stop looking at it.

PnCIa

People, refund this pile of trash if you bought it via Steam! Thats what this option is there for, make your voice heared, vote with your wallet!

Nextgen resource usage has come

Upgrade hardware and embrace it

There's absolutely no reason this game should be using more than twice the amount of total memory than what the current gen consoles provide with the way it's performing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
i absolutely couldnt agree more with the bolded. will you be doing the faceoff article? if not let us know if you get the horrid lod popping when you try the pc version. i dont understand how it could be this bad and not be a platform agnostic game issue.
Won't be doing the Face-Off but I'd imagine it will be mentioned in there. I'll have to try it myself in the future when I can get access to it. Now I'm super curious to see how it performs on my PC.

big_z

I just sat down after a long day looking forward to downloading and playing batmang and then I see this shit. how the hell did they fuck up the pc version like this? the other games had decent pc ports so I don't understand why this one is a flaming pile of shit.

GrazGamer

So those with a 980ti, how is 60fps performance at 1080p?

I am running a 980gtx and while driving it is a clusterfuck of stuttering performance, often down to 30fps.

Ive been tempted by the ti while my 980 still has decent value. This might be the excuse I need?

gotoadgo

Can't even get through the intro without a crash.

I7 920
6gb ram
Gtx770

I put everything to low on and the resolution to 1920x1080. Disappointing…

Top Bottom