• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrito

For once, vote splitting is hurting conservatives. We desperately need a Wild Rose federally. Call it the Maple Leaf Party or something like that.

elty

About 5 minutes ago CBC reported NDP was leading in somewhere by 3 votes... 7 votes vs 4. I don't know why they can't declare a lead until at least a few hundreds ballot is counted.

History being made! But watching golden state vs Memphis instead :)

Seriously though, albertans in here, what prompted this big change? Curious. A friend tells me part of the reason is people feel fiscal pressure (ie cuts) is not being spread evenly between different classes in society. Is that true?

If the Conservatives are suddenly having to defend Alberta in October, and don't get that automatic 25+ seats, this fall's election suddenly got even more interesting.

Also, there's only one big-C Conservative government left in the country, in Newfoundland. And they hate Harper. Our country is so delightfully odd.

History being made! But watching golden state vs Memphis instead :)

Seriously though, albertans in here, what prompted this big change? Curious. A friend tells me part of the reason is people feel fiscal pressure (ie cuts) is not being spread evenly between different classes in society. Is that true?

Not an Albertan, but it seems like the tide really started turning against Prentice after his "Albertans should look in the mirror" comment. I don't think they minded cuts to social services or letting oil companies run the province, but when he came off as blaming his own constituents for the province being in the tank (rather than plummeting oil revenues, which is the real culprit) that made him look stupid.

elty

I think Brian Jean already said their target is the official opposition last month.... or someone from Wild Rose anyways.

Prentice should not order a new election... not until Postmedia buy a few more newspaper and TV station to endorse him.

If the PCs finish with less than 10 seats, Maharg's prediction of them withering away and dying may just end up being true.

And I do like how neat and tidy it'd be if every party that's ever won an election in Alberta basically vanishes the moment they lose power.

Pakkidis

I was under the impression Alberta was conservative, how did the NDP gain so many seats?

I don't follow Canada politics as closely as I should :(

I was under the impression Alberta was conservative, how did the NDP gain so many seats?

Plummeting oil revenues + a new premier who said some dumb things and called an election years before he had to.

Though seeing as Notley put out a statement saying she hadn't spoken to Mulcair in months and months, it may not translate neatly to federal politics.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Everyone is tired of the conservative nonsense.

A lot of people expect the same thing to happen in the federal election

elty

I remember one of the poll reported NDP was leading in every income level, from under 20000 to over 250000. I guess people doesn't mind to pay a little bit more tax afterall.

Alberta the most conservative province in Canada is electing a New Democrat government.

lol
Ontario has always been more conservative than Alberta and have been the cause of recent CPC federal governments. Alberta going NDP is a result of loosening power by oil companies.

Pedrito

53%+ still voted for conservative parties. It's just yet another example of how broken our political system is. Although in this case, I won't complain...

And vote splitting on the right.

That too, though I don't think it's as neat as PC voters = Wildrose voters. I get the sense that there's an element of prairie populism/anti-government feeling that fuels Wildrose voters, and some of those people went NDP this time.

Wildrose? I have never heard of this party before. What the hell is happening?

They've been around for a few years now. They almost won the last provincial election.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
53%+ still voted for conservative parties. It's just yet another example of how broken our political system is. Although in this case, I won't complain...

It's broken if you think the right-side of the spectrum is homogeneous and that party performance doesn't matter.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

The main reason the conservatives get in most federal and provincial elections is vote splitting.

Canada typically votes to the left, but get stuck with a conservative government because we usually don't get behind a single party.

squidyj

I'm just so glad that it's a majority government and they don't really have to make overtures to the *shudders* Wild Rose.

Almost? They only got 17 seats out of 87. I wouldn't call that almost winning.

Fine: they were leading in virtually every poll up until a few days before the vote, at which point the province went to the polls with it looking too close to call, only for the PCs to win a huge majority thanks to a flood of progressive voters voting PC because they were terrified of what a Wildrose victory would look like.

Better? Point is, Wildrose aren't exactly total unknowns.

Parch

I thought it might be a NDP minority. Edmonton going NDP is no surprise, so it was really up to what Calgary and rural ridings were going to do. Rural went Wildrose and will probably be the opposition, but Calgary going NDP gives them the majority. I'm a bit concerned with that lack of experience ending up with a majority, but it's obviously clear that Alberta wanted a change so we'll see what happens.

Liberals pretty much non-existent again, which could be an indication of what could happen federally. If western Canada is going to consider NDP the alternative, that's just going to be more vote splitting on the left federally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom