• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afaik they're open to register for, and you supply information about yourself, and then they select panels from the people who've registered selecting for demographics matching the target of the poll (province, country, city, etc). They are not technically random samples the way phone wardialling is assumed to be (but possibly isn't either anymore) so they can't have a real MoE attached to them.

Hmmm, I'd put more faith in IVR and voice polls then

If our Australian dumbass prime minister looks up to Harper and wants to be buddybuddy with him, then I'm kind of concerned about Harper in general.

Your PM took a lot of electoral tips from ours. Especially on refugee/immigration, climate change, "tough on crime" stuff.

Also if your PM starts blaming the Supreme Court for everything bad that happens then he also got that from us. Also if you have any stats-keeping bureau, prepare for it to get mangled.

maharg

idspispopd
Hmmm, I'd put more faith in IVR and voice polls then
I think right now you can't really put all your eggs in any one basket. We're really moving in to a situation where telephones are no longer ubiquitous in the way they were, and the internet not quite ubiquitous enough yet. I think long run online panels will probably be the thing that actually works when the kinks are worked out, though.

We're probably never going to get back to the place where you can get a reasonably random sample from picking random numbers, though. I just don't see how that could happen.

I think right now you can't really put all your eggs in any one basket. We're really moving in to a situation where telephones are no longer ubiquitous in the way they were, and the internet not quite ubiquitous enough yet. I think long run online panels will probably be the thing that actually works when the kinks are worked out, though.

We're probably never going to get back to the place where you can get a reasonably random sample from picking random numbers, though. I just don't see how that could happen.

Agreed

Actually, IVR was (partly) blamed as to why the Alberta election polls were so wrong...

I thought it was because there were no polls since 3 days before the election, and during those three days the PCs ran a huge and effective advertising blitz. It could have convinced me lol, but I already think all Albertans are cowboys.

The thing that makes me find EKOS polls wrong is their very high Green numbers and votes for fringe parties. At one point they had Greens+fringe getting 15% of the vote, right now they have them at 11%. Compare that to the 3-4% they actually got in 2011.

maharg

idspispopd
I thought it was because there were no polls since 3 days before the election, and during those three days the PCs ran a huge and effective advertising blitz. It could have convinced me lol, but I already think all Albertans are cowboys.

The thing that makes me find EKOS polls wrong is their very high Green numbers and votes for fringe parties. At one point they had Greens+fringe getting 15% of the vote, right now they have them at 11%. Compare that to the 3-4% they actually got in 2011.

There was definitely a last minute swing in voter intent when it looked like WRP was going to pull off at least government. A lot of that has been attributed to Liberal and NDP voters swinging, but I doubt it. It was just undecided/fence voters who'd probably never vote left of the PCs.

There are a few reasons to mistrust Ekos' polls and Graves' interpretations of his results, but that observation aside..

One would get a high number for Green or Other when they're offered as explicit options compared to when they are volunteered responses in an otherwise equivalent phone survey. The decision to have them as "read" options as opposed to "volunteered" or "do not read" is up to the methodology and the pollster writing the survey. There are valid arguments on either side.

There's been a debate in the industry ever since the Greens approved a platform as to which of the read/volunteered/dnr buckets they should sit in.

Liberals take a significant lead: http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2014/06/race-breaking-liberal/

87SS9Sal.jpg

Boogie

I just had conversation with a coworker who has only ever voted conservative or spoiled his ballot.

He thinks that a rational transit plan that should be implemented is to build a subway from Toronto out to Milton or even Kitchener, underneath the 401. The "subways subways subways" crowd, folks. :-/

explodet

I just had conversation with a coworker who has only ever voted conservative or spoiled his ballot.

He thinks that a rational transit plan that should be implemented is to build a subway from Toronto out to Milton or even Kitchener, underneath the 401. The "subways subways subways" crowd, folks. :-/
Three bucks to get from Toronto to Kitchener? I'm sold!

Woah, my dream results from Ipsos came out today. Wanna guess who the CEO of Ipsos is ;)

Internet Ipsos Reid (Likely): Liberals 33% (30%), PCs 31% (36%), NDP 30% (30%), Greens+Others 4% (4%)
IVR Forum: Liberals 42%, PCs 35%, NDP 19%, Greens 3%, Others 1%

No, he drives from Cambridge to milton.

That's quite the commute. o_O

Boogie

That's quite the commute. o_O

lol, umm, not really. Half my office commutes from Kitchener/Cambridge/Guelph. And it's a shorter commute than all the people who take the Go trains downtown from Milton, Burlington, etc.

One coworker, when she was posted to the airport detachment, drove her commute from Kitchener to Pearson. For 5 years..

Don't mind my geography fart, I thought Cambridge was to the West of Kitchener lol. Probably helps that you don't have to drive through the Oakville and Mississauga parking lots.

edit: some more, all internet

Léger: 37% Liberal, 37% Conservative, 20% NDP, 5% Greens, 1% Others
Abacus (Likely): 35% (36%) Liberal, 32% (36%) Conservative, 26% (23%) NDP, 6% (5%) Greens, 1% (1%) Others
Angus Reid: 36% Conservative, 32% Liberal, 26% NDP, 6% Greens+Others

edit: éric always does it better...

Bp5BwvuCcAAZiBz.png

Compared to seats when dissolved: Liberals -4, Cons -1, NDP +5. I really don't see that NDP bump happening, but we'll see.

That's compared to 2011 seats. Since then there were 9 byelections, Liberals lost 4 and NDP gained 4, Conservatives equalled out. At dissolution it was 49 Liberal (or 48 if you count Linda Jeffery who resigned right before), 37 Conservative, 21 NDP.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gonna vote, even I guess it's pointless since my temporary riding is decidedly Liberal. What can ya do.

Although then again, in terms of party policies, I think at this point we could let some monkeys run Queen's Park and we'd have the same results.

That's compared to 2011 seats. Since then there were 9 byelections, Liberals lost 4 and NDP gained 4, Conservatives equalled out. At dissolution it was 49 Liberal (or 48 if you count Linda Jeffery who resigned right before), 37 Conservative, 21 NDP.

Yeah, you're right, I was looking at the wrong section. Again, I still don't see the NDP gaining anything.

Yeah, you're right, I was looking at the wrong section. Again, I still don't see the NDP gaining anything.

I think Windsor West and Sudbury are theirs for the taking. I don't know what they'll lose to balance that out though. Maybe Trinity-Spadina because of the federal byelection, and Davenport. Maaaybe Kitchener-Waterloo but that would be awful, Fife would make an awesome NDP leader if Horwath decides to quit. :(

SRG01

Well there were two hypothesis about the Alberta election. The first is IVR, since it's relatively new and apparently had some polling issues since most people didn't know what to do. I think there may have been a comment thread on 308 or some other political site that elaborated more on this.

As a personal anecdote, I got an IVR call and it was not immediately distinguishable from an autodialer of some sort. And requiring me to press numbers threw me off too.

The second hypothesis was the last minute swing, which was apparently captured by Forum the weekend before the vote. However, apparently internal polling done by the PCs throughout the campaign was actually far closer to the election result...

maharg

idspispopd
The second hypothesis was the last minute swing, which was apparently captured by Forum the weekend before the vote. However, apparently internal polling done by the PCs throughout the campaign was actually far closer to the election result...

You should really discount anything you hear about 'internal numbers' out of hand. It's always narrative control.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The polls in Kenora-Rainy River opened late because of flooding which means they'll be open an hour later (10pm) than everywhere else. I guess that means a delay to when they'll start releasing results.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I was the only person at my place too, I'm sure it'd be a bit more busy after 5ish.
Yeah, just after 3:30 when I voted it was pretty dead but that's typical in my area. By about 6/7pm there will be lines out of the school gym.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
How did turnout looks where everyone else voted? Looked dead where I was.

My brother and I hit up our polling station around 11:30-12:00ish. Maybe 7-8 people there at the time. No wait to vote. Enough people were coming through to ensure there was always someone at each station, but I was only there for 5 minutes or so.

I went at 5:00 and it was pretty much dead (5 people at most), though there was a constant stream of people to replace those which left. Out of the people there, I was the youngest by far.

I wasn't, but I had my six month old son with me. I think I saw three people vote while I was there :/

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Haha what. Watching the results starting to come in. PC leading in one riding with one vote. Not leading by one vote, but with one vote.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Ya, what's the point of even putting that up on the screen?

It was just on the little result ticker so it's not like they focused on it. Just thought it amusing that there was a poll somewhere that only had one vote. TVO joking about the one Green seat only having one vote total as well.

Mr.Mike

Got Damn Windsor West is literally neck and neck between the Liberals and NDP right now.

The Greens are off the board!

EDIT: And back on!

I'm thinking this will be the only interesting thing to watch the whole evening.

That second brief moment of the Greens being on the board was in Windsor-West. Represent!

Silexx

Got back from voting. My station at Ottawa-Orléans was pretty empty but there were still folks coming and going. Surprisingly, there were mostly families with a few teenagers who seem to be voting for the first time.

So Dippers: if the Liberals pull off a majority, Horwath has to go, right? This would represent a pretty massive miscalculation on her part.

And Hudak, of course, probably won't last the night if these results stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom