• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just wait until the PS5 Pro Showcase leads off with this game and all the Pro enhancements

Warner Bros Lol GIF by Joker Movie

You:

*Writes a post saying every character in the game should be white*

"I'm nOT rACiST!!!"

Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics

Why does that make him racist? Wasn't he simply making the point that games would be better received if they were designed to appeal to the people that actually play them? That's what I took from his post... then again, I'm not an American. Regardless, ignoring demographics in the pursuance of the mythical 'modern audience' is why we currently are where we are.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Why does that make him racist? Wasn't he simply making the point that games would be better received if they were designed to appeal to the people that actually play them? That's what I took from his post... then again, I'm not an American. Regardless, ignoring demographics in the pursuance of the mythical 'modern audience' is why we currently are where we are.

There's a big difference between 'make characters more appealing for the target audience' and 'make all the characters white'. I have no intention of arguing the point with anyone who can't see that.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
you basically got it. It’s bring nothing to the genre. It is more expensive than better alternative.
it’s hard to see who might be the target for this game. The only people I can see buying this is DEI ally that want some Internet point. But that’s not a lot of people.
Alright. Well then i guess the GAF meme is to call it the gaming equivalent to Madame Web i suppose.

nkarafo

There's a big difference between 'make characters more appealing for the target audience' and 'make all the characters white'. I have no intention of arguing the point with anyone who can't see that.
I take you are not a fan of Kingdom Come - Deliverance?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Getting banned for Concord has to be the newest low of this forum, trophy of shame if you will

I take you are not a fan of Kingdom Come - Deliverance?
Pls not this again, we suffered enough in 2015, game is based in realistic place. As far as I am concerned most game isn't.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
In all seriousness if your online game isn't playable because enough people haven't bought the game surely there has to be some recourse for consumers....

Bots incoming?

Last edited:

Quantum253

Gold Member
In all seriousness if your online game isn't playable because enough people haven't bought the game surely there has to be some recourse for consumers....

Bots incoming?
I was curious as well. Not enough engagement to justify the cost of server operations and maintenance. But for the people who spent money on the game, they can't kill the servers yet. I'm thinking going FTP and then giving users who purchased the game $40 worth of in game purchases when it goes free

Roxkis_ii

Bots incoming?
I would think they would have to reevaluate their monetization and go free to play.

Kikorin

In some twisteed way this is a monumental achievement. There's no way another team could spend 100$ and more millions on a game, develope it for 8 years and then have a player count that low. Even trying your best, you can't make something so much uninteresting for everyone with a so huge budget and development time.

Nydius

Look at something like Overwatch or even go back to Street Fighter 2. They had a roster of diverse characters from all over the world and we loved it.

Diversity wasn’t so much the problem, nor was it “failing to reflect the racial makeup of the target demographic”, it was the ugly non-feminine women and non-masculine men + pronouns. It’s got that “modern audiences” stink to it, and people have become very sensitive to this stink nowadays after seeing so many franchises turned to shit because of it.

100%. I wrote something similar many pages ago.

Overwatch was diverse and inclusive at launch. It had damn near everything short of a disabled hero. Most everyone I knew who played at launch assumed Zarya was a butch lesbian or bi, because that was her archetype. But no one cared and they still played as her because Blizzard didn’t shove the “modern audience” stuff down our throats.

Then the Overwatch team started pandering, shoving current thing ideology into the game and canonically adding SJW traits to their characters. And sentiment started to turn against them for it.

The issue with Concord is the forced inclusion is a foundation of the game. Pronouns and unattractive characters are by design to shove an ideology in the players’ faces. The characters cannot be separated from this design. We literally have people melting down over “misgendering” Daw rather than discussing the gameplay. Most people don’t want their entertainment to be preachy.

They should have kept it PS5 only and spared the massive embarrassment of abysmal Steam CCU graphs. It could have gone out and died quietly like Destruction Allstars but will instead crash in infamy. Maybe Hindenburg would have been a better name.

That's a big part of the optics problem with this game. The only public-facing numbers for CCU and player counts are the Steam ones, and they're abysmal. So would-be future customers are seeing those numbers (and everyone reporting them), and likely opting out from buying the game because, why bother? It's a GAAS with a pitifully small community, chances are they feel they won't get their $40 worth.

Meanwhile we have "reports" the game is doing "substantially better" on PS5 yet no hard numbers. People are just supposed to believe those claims because they're being made. That's simply not good enough. This Day 1 PC push for GAAS was going to have some ugly realities pop forth and beyond certain pricing discrepancies (i.e paying for online on PS5 vs. free online on PC, cheaper reseller prices on PC vs. console etc.), public optics around community health (via Steam public-facing CCUs and player numbers) was going to be the other big one.

Whether SIE like it or not, Steam controls the discourse and conversation around this game, just like it did with Helldivers 2, but at least Helldivers 2 was a big success. Nobody cares if Concord is doing "substantially better" on PS5 when they can see the horrible Steam numbers up close, and I 100% don't fault Valve for making that data public-facing. That's an overall benefit to the community.

Hopefully this spurs a change at SIE to make player data less obfuscated from the public, and add yet further community features that are more in-line with platforms like Steam. The user reviews is a good start but it's not going to be enough. Either that or they'll have to start sharing player numbers for their own games on PS5 (GAAS ones) in periodic updates, if they want to control the optics and messaging around their GAAS titles better.

Something has to give.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Such incompetence. Just sync the 1st party studios play session and at least get it up to 5k players.
Even sony studios devs got their mental limits, thats why game couldnt break 700 ccu which was alltime peak on eurotime friday evening, they might force themselfs to play for an hour or two, but after that srs offtime period is required to keep sanity :)

Ozriel

M$FT
Just wait until the PS5 Pro Showcase leads off with this game and all the Pro enhancements

Warner Bros Lol GIF by Joker Movie

They aren't going to write off the loss that quickly. It's not like it was mechanical disaster like Redfall that became an embarrassment. Concord works, has great visuals and isn't buggy as hell.
They're going to need a big stage to unveil the changes in monetization or price drop or whatever, in hopes of a comeback story.

The Stig

I got burned out with this kind of game when I was young playing TF2/classic, but what has this game got that overwatch does not?

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
They aren't going to write off the loss that quickly. It's not like it was mechanical disaster like Redfall that became an embarrassment. Concord works, has great visuals and isn't buggy as hell.
They're going to need a big stage to unveil the changes in monetization or price drop or whatever, in hopes of a comeback story.
They could offer even blowjobs from their cavetroll lesbian heroes and ppl still wouldnt touch that game even with a stick, any1 with half a brain accepted game is nasty flop after terrible beta player numbers :)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This game is not coming back and as bad as Redfall was Concord will never hit 6k users on Steam

No need to try and throw any other game under the bus with Concord as this is an epic disaster on a whole nother level

No lol.
Read the below, swap "films" with Concord and Apple with Sony. It's about Apple cancelling the theatrical run of their upcoming Wolfs.

“None of Apple’s films have done well,” Stephen Galloway, the dean of Dodge College of Film and Media Arts, said in an interview. “Financially, you might think it doesn’t matter. This is a company worth $3.3 trillion. But psychologically, it does.

“Apple’s brand is quality, cutting-edge, sleek, refined, forward-looking, and so now you’re tarnishing that brand with what seems like an old-fashioned, not-relevant, not-part-of-the-zeitgeist slate.”

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In some twisteed way this is a monumental achievement. There's no way another team could spend 100$ and more millions on a game, develope it for 8 years and then have a player count that low. Even trying your best, you can't make something so much uninteresting for everyone with a so huge budget and development time.
I could literally make an idle-clicker to release on Steam in about 4 hours solo for $0, and if it had the marketing budget that Concord has behind it, I bet I could get more than 1,000 people to play it at once. Possibly even if it cost $40.

But I'm white (and therefore privileged) and also apparently a talentless hack (true when it comes to game programming) so for the sake of comparison I'm not the most qualified person to make a proper go at something like that.

Last edited:
A meteor strike kills Bazz, DaVeers, Daw, Duchess, Emari, Lark, IT-Z, Kyps and they dissapear from the game.

A new ship arrives with white, heterosexual player friendly replacements:
  • Badass blonde white fit chad
  • Badass red haired white jacked mega chad
  • Badass brown haired white super jacked giga chad
  • Badass ninja robot
  • Sexy blonde white woman
  • Sexy red haired white woman with big boobs
  • Sexy brown haired white woman with huge boobs
Take note from the character design from The First Descendant and ZZZ.

Remember that over 90% of the FPS players, over 90% of the tactical shooter players and over 90% of the eSports games players are (cis) men, and statistically most of them heterosexual. Also remember that most FPS are played in Europe and mostly NA. So, looking at the skin color statistics in these regions, most are white (which includes Mediterranean/latin tan whites).

I mean, most FPS players are white heterosexual cis men from NA and EU. So the character design should be mainly focused to appeal them, who mostly are the ones who pay these games. "Diverse" characters are ok as fillers to complete the cast adding visual variety with different colors and body shapes, but if you want to make a character based (hero shooter, fighting, gatcha) game successful you must make several characters very appealing to the demographics of that gaming genre instead of filling woke/DEI representation quota checklists.
Holy shit. ERA posters are finally reverse trolling us. Is that you, PlanetSmasher??

Fess

Even sony studios devs got their mental limits, thats why game couldnt break 700 ccu which was alltime peak on eurotime friday evening, they might force themselfs to play for an hour or two, but after that srs offtime period is required to keep sanity :)
But faking/boosting ccu can’t be that complicated. How hard can it be to post a group mail to the whole Sony 1st party team and say that they’re all starting the game on Steam for 30 minutes at the same time?
Might not even have to start a match, I assume being inside the game is enough, so if you’re asleep then set a timer and go up and start the game. Or are sudden spikes like that filtered out?

nowhat

Everybody needs to buy this...
Already preordered. I do that rarely these days, but just by the reveal trailer, I was sold.

As to Concord, when it was featured in the same SoP, I thought "this is going to suck", but I'm not into multiplayer. Maybe some will dig it. I was expecting this to bomb at least somewhat, but not in such a spectacular fashion, I don't think anyone saw this coming.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Game idea of the century. Let's go indie together, bro.

EDIT: 100% confident we'll get more players than Concord.
ok but I’m torn between “Cleveland Steamer Simulator ‘24” or “Cleveland Steamer Survivor”

Man just think of the meme potential. $2.99 price point, I bet we can sell a couple hundred thousand at least.

But faking/boosting ccu can’t be that complicated. How hard can it be to post a group mail to the whole Sony 1st party team and say that they’re all starting the game on Steam for 30 minutes at the same time?
Might not even have to start a match, I assume being inside the game is enough, so if you’re asleep then set a timer and go up and start the game. Or are sudden spikes like that filtered out?
Someone would eventaully leak that shit and the damage would be even worse (if possible) to the dumpster they already have. Better to just let it die.

Top Bottom