• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Holammer

Game idea of the century. Let's go indie together, bro.

EDIT: 100% confident we'll get more players than Concord.
4cdtna.jpg

Put together a demo and we'll talk funding. j/k

I don't see this game charting at all on NPD even with PS5 sales. My more casual buddies on PSN didn't even show up for the beta and aren't even aware this game exists.

It had zero hype before launch and I'm pretty sure it will bomb extremely hard on PS5 too. It's generic AF and is brining nothing new to the table. The characters are butt ugly and Sony is charging $40 for it. This game is probably the biggest game failure ever for Sony. It's baffling to me they bought the studio after seeing this mediocre game and decided to release it for $40 in a market that is dominated by F2P games. WTF were they thinking?

:messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm actually glad the game is flopping extremely hard. Hopefully it causes a course correction at Sony and sends a warning to all these AAA publishers that think they can force feed us generic garbage with heavy virtue signaling elements. It's okay to have representation in your game, even Overwatch has that but the characters still need to look cool at least. This game had some of the worst designed characters I've seen since Bleeding Edge.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't see this game charting at all on NPD even with PS5 sales. My more casual buddies on PSN didn't even show up for the beta and aren't even aware this game exists.

It had zero hype before launch and I'm pretty sure it will bomb extremely hard on PS5 too. It's generic AF and is brining nothing new to the table. The characters are butt ugly and Sony is charging $40 for it. This game is probably the biggest game failure ever for Sony. It's baffling to me they bought the studio after seeing this mediocre game and decided to release it for $40 in a market that is dominated by F2P games. WTF were they thinking?

:messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm actually glad the game is flopping extremely hard. Hopefully it causes a course correction at Sony and sends a warning to all these AAA publishers that think they can force feed us generic garbage with heavy virtue signaling elements. It's okay to have representation in your game, even Overwatch has that but the characters still need to look cool at least. This game had some of the worst designed characters I've seen since Bleeding Edge.
They either got the worst marketing ever, or were afraid to showcase it too much because they know it's junk.

Game was under development for ages and a CGI trailer came out a year ago. But I think the first gameplay/feature set info only came out end of May during a Sony state of play (May 30 as I just googled it). So the game launches in third week of August 2024 and gamers had nothing to go on except a CGI trailer, a gameplay video, and a July beta. And then a rush to launch in August.

Last edited:

LoveCake

I don't know how they thought it was going to fair being a paid for game when it should be F2P, but there isn't anything compelling about the game, something like this would have been better for characters maybe?

Using game characters from first party games, something like;

Kratos could have been a slow but very defensive with high damage close-range attacks,
Aloy could be fast & nimble with good ranged attacks,
Jin Sakai (GoT) light damage, but fast close attacks,
Ellie medium all round, fast healing,
Ratchet small and nimble, has Clank around to act as defence booster,
Shadow Marshal Lucas Kellan (Killzone) stealth with cloaking tech,
Nathan Drake good all-round medium,
Delsin Rowe (Infamous Second Son) fires lighting/electric bolts,
Sackboy fires balls of wool that catch fire on impact that keep burning for a time,
Chloe Frazer & Nadine Ross (uncharted) sort of tag-team you play as one grabs the enemy the other jumps in to deal damage.

Seems more like a beat-em up, but idk you get the idea.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't know how they thought it was going to fair being a paid for game when it should be F2P, but there isn't anything compelling about the game, something like this would have been better for characters maybe?

Using game characters from first party games, something like;

Kratos could have been a slow but very defensive with high damage close-range attacks,
Aloy could be fast & nimble with good ranged attacks,
Jin Sakai (GoT) light damage, but fast close attacks,
Ellie medium all round, fast healing,
Ratchet small and nimble, has Clank around to act as defence booster,
Shadow Marshal Lucas Kellan (Killzone) stealth with cloaking tech,
Nathan Drake good all-round medium,
Delsin Rowe (Infamous Second Son) fires lighting/electric bolts,
Sackboy fires balls of wool that catch fire on impact that keep burning for a time,
Chloe Frazer & Nadine Ross (uncharted) sort of tag-team you play as one grabs the enemy the other jumps in to deal damage.

Seems more like a beat-em up, but idk you get the idea.
I dont see Sony being a F2P kind of company.

And with Helldivers selling tons of copies at $40, they probably stuck to that pricing plan. You couldnt even preorder the game until recently, so they could had picked any price. But chose $40. Will be interesting to see if their next new GAAS game also hold $40 and so forth. If so, they got an internal pricing strategy which would be something like $70 AAA SP game. $40 GAAS game.

Last edited:

yurinka

You:

*Writes a post saying every character in the game should be white*

"I'm nOT rACiST!!!"

Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics
You are desilusional, I never said every character should be white.

And no, I'm not racist. I just explained that in terms of business if you make an effort to don't make your game appealing to over 90% of the demographics who buy a specific product type pretty likely your game will tank, and that would be safer for the business to make sure the main demographic group is well served with the stuff that user user type prefers.

This is specially moronic in the context of a AAA where you spent over $100M-$200M: your target user must cover a huge enough amount of people interested on this type of product. If let's say you want to target astralgender and anxiegender Cherokees only and push hard to keep the rest away good luck getting these over $100M-$200M back.

Last edited:
It’s got to be tough. I suspect a few are already prepping their resumes.

I honestly feel bad for them. They are human beings and this wouldn’t be a fun time to endure.
Its one thing to put out an indie game and have it bomb but to have something like this that was expected to have a good size audience has got to seriously hurt.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Can't imagine what the morale is like at Firewalk studios rn.
Wonder if we'll see an independent post mortem in a year or two going into detail of what happened during development. There had to be warning signs before this was initially revealed to the public that this wasn't going to be a home run.

Last edited:
It’s got to be tough. I suspect a few are already prepping their resumes.

I honestly feel bad for them. They are human beings and this wouldn’t be a fun time to endure.
They already got paid, don't feel bad for them. They sure as fuck don't feel bad for you or the people they took $40 from :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is a lesson for Sony to learn, they are the ones with a hole in the pocket now.

Wonder if we'll see an independent post mortem in a year or two going into detail of what happened during development. There had to be warning signs before this was initially revealed to the public that this wasn't going to be a home run.
We already got the signs when they told gamers to fuck off.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

To be fair, they have,

There's been lots of churn lately.... Factions 2 and some other MP games cancelled. Pretty sure some of those old Insomniac leaks with tons of Marvel MP/GAAS cancelled, Deviation Games partnership and game is dead, Bungie laid off people. Oddly, Concord still got released. Probably what happened is they got hooped into buying them needing to fill their release schedule with something GAAS related (due to how things were going last year), bought FW, and because the game was so close to launch might as well launch it anyway.

Alebrije

That floor gets lower every day....

eeFPHCQ.png

They already got paid, don't feel bad for them. They sure as fuck don't feel bad for you or the people they took $40 from :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is a lesson for Sony to learn, they are the ones with a hole in the pocket now.
True , if I worked there I would know months ago the game was average and won't go anywhere. Also of someone comes to My desk and tells me: just call me "The Professor" I would have ready My resume since that moment.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
This has to be one of the worst high profile flops in the last decade no ?

For Sony yes, but in general Suicide Squad was even worst.

I mean, if you saw the game you will know that they wasted like a tons of money on face capture, those things are expensive as shit to do it. The face animation are really detail, but the game is a total trash.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This game is probably the biggest game failure ever for Sony. It's baffling to me they bought the studio after seeing this mediocre game and decided to release it for $40 in a market that is dominated by F2P games. WTF were they thinking?

The fact they decided to charge $40 for it might be a sign that they knew the game was going to bomb (and thus not be able to support the MTX needed to recoup anything).

Trogdor1123

Oh, for sure but they are still human beings and I feel empathy for them. The paycheques from last year or the year before won’t make them feel better today or tomorrow.

With all the layoffs in the industry, it’s got to be a scary time fear for ones job.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For Sony yes, but in general Suicide Squad was even worst.
Never mind sales and online gamer count.

I dont even follow SS, but watching the videos showing superheroes shooting assault rifles and jumping from rooftops shoot purple blobs was as weird as it gets.

Surprisingly, the game does have rock solid cut scene production values. So somehow they pulled that off.

Fake

Gold Member
Never mind sales and online gamer count.

I dont even follow SS, but watching the videos showing superheroes shooting assault rifles and jumping from rooftops shoot purple blobs was as weird as it gets.

Surprisingly, the game does have rock solid cut scene production values. So somehow they pulled that off.

Thats my point. The cutscenes really hold up because Suicide Squad have the best face animation of this generation, but nothing this matter when you have one of the worst games of the generation as well.

Using that machine to make the face capture plus the software to put the real face in the digital space cost A LOT OF MONEY, so if we gonna compare I guess Suicide Squad waste more money.

But if we are only talking about Sony failures, Concord sure win by a long metric.

When you have streamers like CohhCarnage and DansGaming etc doing sponsored streams for the game, it makes you wonder if Sony has actually spent more on streamers sponsorships than the game has actually made from sales.
With numbers like that the marketing budget alone is far beyond of what the game will ever create in revenue, that's for certain.

Denorion

The fact they decided to charge $40 for it might be a sign that they knew the game was going to bomb (and thus not be able to support the MTX needed to recoup anything).
Probably not, they likely saw how the $40 price worked for helldivers 2 and thought this is the ideal pricing point for GaaS

While I was never interested in this type of game, or wanting to support ignorant egotistical devs, I am glad they are seemingly struggling with the game. It's brain numbing that these self-titled victims, think the best way to fight against racism, is to use racism. The best way to fight sexism, is to use sexism. The best way to fight bigotry is to use bigotry, e.g. "We only hire black people so it's a safe space." "White people need to know their privilege." "Men are the problem." "Straight people kissing makes me sick." just to name a few recent quotes from these "heroes" who are sooooo against hate speech etc but if you point out the hypocrisy, then you get labelled as some sort of "IST"

Remember back in the days before the internet when the only thing we were worried about in terms of gaming, was looking at box art and hoping the game was actually as fun as it looked, and it didn't ruin your weekend? Standing for like an hour in a video store looking over every game, a few times over, wondering if my pocket money was worth it on the game. Nowadays, it's people dying for attention, so other people can see their homemade Halos and give them praise for their "bravery". Obviously, the funny part of this, is that they can shout and scream all they want, but even they don't support the causes they apparently would die for. Hope they all lose their jobs and are not allowed anywhere near gaming, or anywhere they have any meaningful input, again.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Please don't compare a technological marvel like the concord with....
2FGVwZY.png

Whatever that is supposed to be...
A random character generator. Hey you never know, maybe employees at FW used AI to churn out their trash asap because it's hard to believe so called talented video game artists could make such bad designs with terrible pastel colours too.
Who in their right mind making a shooter character would make this as a gamer option:

A fat ass South Asian guy, who wears ski goggles, orange grease trap/dishwasher dude gloves, has a Bane tube thing going on, hasnt combed his hair in a month, and is wearing (I think) a winter bubble jacket.

Seeing some reports on Reddit and X that people simply can't find matches. It just times out for several modes.

The game is basically dead and will only get worse as the CoD multimedia machine takes over this week with the beta kicking off.

Even the people who *do* have the game, you gotta have something to retain them and this doesn't have anything. It has no life to it.

I'd look for the playerbase to be in the double digits by the time the first Season ever rolls around, if that.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Seeing some reports on Reddit and X that people simply can't find matches. It just times out for several modes.

The game is basically dead and will only get worse as the CoD multimedia machine takes over this week with the beta kicking off.

Even the people who *do* have the game, you gotta have something to retain them and this doesn't have anything. It has no life to it.

I'd look for the playerbase to be in the double digits by the time the first Season ever rolls around, if that.
LMAO it’s #1003 on the top seller list right now. What is that even? Like tens of sales per day?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Stealth server shutdown.

This is insane. Has there been any big budget game that has failed as spectacularly as this?

Only other big budget title I can think of is Redfall.

It is still mindblowing that the game flopped so hard.

With Gollum it was at least understandable because the game itself was a pure almost disfunctional crap. But this one does not have specific technical issues or anything.

Yet it bombed hard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom