• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Anthem, Destruction All-stars, Suicide Squad, Skull and Bones, Hellblade, Redfall, Bleeding Edge (you forgot about this one lol) ... there are many hard flops in the recent years.

And put in perspective, Halo Infinite is even a bigger flop, destroying a legacy franchise with a 500M budget.

Coming up next: Fairgames, Horizon MMO (this one will hurt) and whatever the fuck Bend is doing. That wil flop too.

Nydius

Yeah, apparently one mode has fairly fast queue times. The others vary wildly by several minutes.
Going to venture a guess that one mode is whatever their basic TDM mode is called (I can’t remember what it was named in the beta). That’s usually always what happens with dying FPS games, only their TDM and nearest counterparts like Kill Confirmed retain any audience.

Except that usually takes years to get to, not days.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is insane. Has there been any big budget game that has failed as spectacularly as this?

Only other big budget title I can think of is Redfall.
Redfall had around 6k people playing it at peak being a full priced game while also being "free" on Gamepass

Redfall, a game that launched May of 2023, also still get 40-50 people playing it daily which is around 25% of the player base of a game that launched days ago

While Redfall sank Concord is like buying a ticket to the Titanic after it hit the iceberg and still willingly getting on the ship

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Street Fighter Yes GIF

In a couple of years, I hope we look back at these last couple of fucking awful years with forced "inclusion and representation" and go: "fucking hell, those were some shite years, eh? Glad it's over now".

Surely game companies will take the hint in time and realize this is nowhere near what we want from them, right? Not even the people they pander this towards are buying their crap.

Last edited:
Redfall had around 6k people playing it at peak being a full priced game while also being "free" on Gamepass

Redfall, a game that launched May of 2023, also still get 40-50 people playing it daily which is around 25% of the player base of a game that launched days ago

While Redfall sank Concord is like buying a ticket to the Titanic after it hit the iceberg and still willingly getting on the ship

An older meme, but it fits for how fast this game went under.

It is still mindblowing that the game flopped so hard.

With Gollum it was at least understandable because the game itself was a pure almost disfunctional crap. But this one does not have specific technical issues or anything.

Yet it bombed hard.
The market for hero shooters is completely saturated and all the other options are F2P

It's not that mindblowing, it's the same reason nobody is dumb enough to make a MOBA and charge $40 for it today

Deadlock is completely free once you're invited, and Valve is letting players see it very early in development so they can pound on it and give feedback on what is and isn't good

Fake

Gold Member
The number of people playing is so low, Concord's lead character designer easily ran into his boss.

Either they do what EA did with that stupid Battlefield 2042 and force bots into your matches or either this game became free to play permanent.

This is like absurd bad. Sony Japan maybe is looking into this and maybe heads will roll again just like in ND.

Nydius

Why are people so obsessed with this game failing?

For the same reason people slow down to see a traffic accident. It’s human nature to want to see a tragedy play out.

It’s not even an important game, Sony announced it a couple months ago, it’s already ogre, so what.

You must have been hanging out with James Sawyer Ford because you’re repeating the same spin. The game was obviously important enough that Sony bought the studio. Important enough that they spent the money marketing it. Important enough they gave it its own limited edition controller, something many well established Sony IPs don’t even have.

diffusionx

Gold Member
For the same reason people slow down to see a traffic accident. It’s human nature to want to see a tragedy play out.

You must have been hanging out with James Sawyer Ford because you’re repeating the same spin. The game was obviously important enough that Sony bought the studio. Important enough that they spent the money marketing it. Important enough they gave it its own limited edition controller, something many well established Sony IPs don’t even have.
I’ve laughed at it plenty but, like, at this point it’s just repetitive. There is nothing left to say. They obviously had high hopes for it and I am sure they are going to make changes and see where it went wrong but I also guarantee that they saw this coming after the initial reveal and definitely after the beta. This wasn’t like Warner delaying Suicide Squad a year and the game was still a piece of shit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why are people so obsessed with this game failing? It’s not even an important game, Sony announced it a couple months ago, it’s already ogre, so what.
You know when companies (or people, I guess) make such baffling retarded mistakes, and those mistakes are so glaringly obvious that you just know they're going to cause a financial disaster, but the company (or person) is so confidently incorrect and smug about how they're going to make a fortune - and you know they're not? Yeah, this is Concord. It's the same morbid fascination that drives things like us all gleefully sitting by and watching as The Acolyte gets cancelled, or when you find out that Wonder Woman 1984 lost $230M dollars (still not as big of a flop as this game, overall). It's the same reason people laughed at Elon Musk buying Twitter for $44b, which is now apparently worth only $10b.

We all knew it. We all saw the writing on the wall for all of these things. The companies thought they knew better than us and proceeded anyway. These things all failed spectacularly. We all get to eat popcorn as the smug smiles on their faces fade into obscurity.

The reason we're all still watching what happens to Concord is so that we can see the actual response (if any). Will the game go F2P? Will people get refunds? Will the servers shut down? Will the planned expansion content get cancelled? Or will they just not say anything and keep plowing even deeper into debt over this failed game? Those things are all milestones on our "we could have told you so" tour.

Fbh

Why are people so obsessed with this game failing? It’s not even an important game, Sony announced it a couple months ago, it’s already ogre, so what.

I'd say it's largely because it encapsulates 2 things that a lot of people on this forum hate: Sony focusing on GAAS and "woke" design.

That said, I disagree that it's not an important game.
- It wasn't announced a few months ago, the first teaser was shown in May of 2023. And we've known Firewalk was making a "AAA shooter" for Sony (their words, not mine) since before that.
- It's, alongside Astrobot, the only big first party release from this year
- Sony bought the studio in mid development which gave it way more notoriety, as it implied that they were super confident in what they were seeing behind the scenes.

The idea this isn't an important game or that it's somehow no different than something like Destruction Allstars is silly.

Flabagast

If it was not important why did Sony spent at the very least a few dozen millions $ to acquire the >150 devs studio ? Please tell me your job does not imply making business decisions

Because Sony paid for the articles and tweets.

Correct--what you're seeing in these articles and tweets, in addition to the "bigger" steamers being on the game briefly, is a last-ditch effort by Sony to try and salvage something out of this debacle. They're, arguably desperately, spending late-stage money because they stand to lose a lot.

Literally anything to bring up the player count on either platform, but it's not going to happen.

The player count will continue to dwindle day after day, which isn't uncommon after a launch weekend or as time marches on, barring exceptions like Helldivers. Except here it's even more of a death sentence, especially with CoD beta looming.

The difference is this game has nothing to bolster it. No positive word of mouth, no exciting gameplay. Nothing.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Correct--what you're seeing in these articles and tweets, in addition to the "bigger" steamers being on the game briefly, is a last-ditch effort by Sony to try and salvage something out of this debacle. They're, arguably desperately, spending late-stage money because they stand to lose a lot.

Literally anything to bring up the player count on either platform, but it's not going to happen.
Also publications are afraid of upsetting Sony. Didn’t some places refuse to comment on the insomniac leaks? I think they are afraid of being black listed. Same reason why no publications attack Rockstar for not putting out a PC version of GTA along with the consoles.

Jaysus. I hope PS learned from this. Never thought I'd see a game crater harder than fucking Redfall.

Cannot imagine that Sony supports it any longer and think they will pull the plug soon.
I am sure it looses money at this point the longer it is online, since it is quite costly to have the servers running.

Cannot imagine that Sony supports it any longer and think they will pull the plug soon.
I am sure it looses money at this point the longer it is online, since it is quite costly to have the servers running.

I don't know how "soon" will be, but I think it will be shut down faster than almost any other game we've yet seen.

It doesn't have any real playerbase and the only way they can do anything at this point to *get* one is a pivot to F2P, which also costs money to do and would require a LOT more marketing on a game that just...doesn't have anything appealing to entice.

It's a lost cause. Most of the failures I'm aware of lasted a year? I don't think this makes it past 6 months.

Guilty_AI

i take you never heard of schadenfreude? A game that embodies things everyone hates failing is just asking for it.

And this is definitely a very important game, in more ways than one.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You know when companies (or people, I guess) make such baffling retarded mistakes, and those mistakes are so glaringly obvious that you just know they're going to cause a financial disaster, but the company (or person) is so confidently incorrect and smug about how they're going to make a fortune - and you know they're not? Yeah, this is Concord. It's the same morbid fascination that drives things like us all gleefully sitting by and watching as The Acolyte gets cancelled, or when you find out that Wonder Woman 1984 lost $230M dollars (still not as big of a flop as this game, overall). It's the same reason people laughed at Elon Musk buying Twitter for $44b, which is now apparently worth only $10b.

We all knew it. We all saw the writing on the wall for all of these things. The companies thought they knew better than us and proceeded anyway. These things all failed spectacularly. We all get to eat popcorn as the smug smiles on their faces fade into obscurity.

The reason we're all still watching what happens to Concord is so that we can see the actual response (if any). Will the game go F2P? Will people get refunds? Will the servers shut down? Will the planned expansion content get cancelled? Or will they just not say anything and keep plowing even deeper into debt over this failed game? Those things are all milestones on our "we could have told you so" tour.

Damn straight. This is what happens when you don't know your audience. Sony has lost its way. That makes me sad.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I think the key take away from this thread should be that skull and bones has a community of people playing.

If anything I wanna go try that now on the free psn trial…

Raven117

I think the key take away from this thread should be that skull and bones has a community of people playing.

If anything I wanna go try that now on the free psn trial…
Ha. I had the same thought.

(I’m still mad they just didn’t make a black flag 2… talk about a slam dunk)

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
  • It's a part of the live service push thats already been a net negative for PS
  • It's yet another game where the developers have pushed their unappealing ideals into the game and into the rhetoric
  • It is a flop of epic unprecedented proportions
  • There's not much else of interest to talk about in gaming right now

Top Bottom