• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So fucking funny

I don't know when in time these clowns decided to change how to make games and try to cater to like what, 0.5% of the population worldwide, in the fear of being cancelled, again, movements almost artificially created by REEE crowds, journalists like Mercante, and Sweet baby inc, basically a business of putting fear into dev studios and then being the product that can help them.

This is the result.

Dustborn / Concord and the list will continue to grow.

Get fucked devs

Go back to making games you clowns
So part of the problem is/was (at Xbox at one time so can only assume its still happening everywhere) these "Devs" can pretty much do and say what they want and so far these companies like Sony/Xbox fear stopping them over the inevitable backlash

There are deeper issues at play here when people wonder how games like this make it out the door

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
apRpMbp_460swp.webp

Flabagast

Sony in a tight spot. Game failed for being woke and stupid. I don’t know if they can fire folk for being woke and stupid too. Woke folk are forever victims, so they will either sue for wrongful termination, or agree to generous severance packages.
even if the manage to close the studio, closing a studio 1 y after you bought it at an expensive price makes you look pretty stupid no ?

akira__

This is why the old PlayStation strategy of working with studios and nurturing them was so much better. Letting them fail or find success on their own, and slowly increasing cooperation, proved to be a more effective approach. I don't think anyone was hyped by the trailers or gameplay, It looked like a dime a dozen game.

One of the studios they have such a relationship with, Arrowhead, had great success this year with Helldivers 2. But instead, they rushed to buy an unproven studio. Misfires are normal in the gaming industry, but it would have been better for all parties involved if this studio at this moment wasn't part of PlayStation Studios.

This game should have failed on it's own.

Alebrije

Concord!!! I would ratter take an Accord..
Why are people so obsessed with this game failing? It’s not even an important game, Sony announced it a couple months ago, it’s already ogre, so what.
The question is Why are the media obsessed with this game to success ?

They should be doing criticall thinking instead of writting subjective articles. Problem is that there is a group of people that want you to force "eat" what they think is good for you and they took the media time ago.

It genuinely pleases me a game as shit as Concord has actually bombed.
- Pronouns
- Hideously offensive and ugly character designs
- Developers who call anyone who doesn't like their games 'talentless freaks'

Keep your identity politics out of my video games.

I'm pleased the masses have voted with their wallets. I hope this sends a message to Sony to stop funding games with a pro LGBTQ angle because frankly I do not care for that shit in my video games.

Wukong however has done amazing - make an original game without pandering to purple haired maniacs and you'll do well. The largest consumers for video games are men. So it's only logical to make a game designed for men first and foremost - which is what the Wukong developer stated (although some of his other views are questionable, I'm not going to gaslight him).

PeteBull

Gold Member
Concord!!! I would ratter take an Accord..

The question is Why are the media obsessed with this game to success ?

They should be doing criticall thinking instead of writting subjective articles. Problem is that there is a group of people that want you to force "eat" what they think is good for you and they took the media time ago.
When u look at the woke abyss for long enough like those clowns, abyss starts to look back at u, at that point u transform urself into zealot who denies logic, sanity or any kind of self thinking and are basically puppet repeating buzzwords that ur purple overlords ingrained into ur skin :)

PeteBull

Gold Member
It genuinely pleases me a game as shit as Concord has actually bombed.
- Pronouns
- Hideously offensive and ugly character designs
- Developers who call anyone who doesn't like their games 'talentless freaks'

Keep your identity politics out of my video games.

I'm pleased the masses have voted with their wallets. I hope this sends a message to Sony to stop funding games with a pro LGBTQ angle because frankly I do not care for that shit in my video games.

Wukong however has done amazing - make an original game without pandering to purple haired maniacs and you'll do well. The largest consumers for video games are men. So it's only logical to make a game designed for men first and foremost - which is what the Wukong developer stated (although some of his other views are questionable, I'm not going to gaslight him).
Thats coz in the end
Iia6ZO5.gif

laynelane

So part of the problem is/was (at Xbox at one time so can only assume its still happening everywhere) these "Devs" can pretty much do and say what they want and so far these companies like Sony/Xbox fear stopping them over the inevitable backlash

There are deeper issues at play here when people wonder how games like this make it out the door

I can believe that. We've been seeing the outcome of this issue for quite some time now too - with Concord being a great example. When it comes down to it, though, Xbox/Sony etc. are going to have to make a choice: listen to your customers or the activists on your pay roll. In the end, I suppose it will depend on how long they're willing to lose money, loyalty, and good will from their customers versus the continued employment of people like the "Professor".

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This is why the old PlayStation strategy of working with studios and nurturing them was so much better. Letting them fail or find success on their own, and slowly increasing cooperation, proved to be a more effective approach. I don't think anyone was hyped by the trailers or gameplay, It looked like a dime a dozen game.

One of the studios they have such a relationship with, Arrowhead, had great success this year with Helldivers 2. But instead, they rushed to buy an unproven studio. Misfires are normal in the gaming industry, but it would have been better for all parties involved if this studio at this moment wasn't part of PlayStation Studios.

This game should have failed on its own.
I wonder if this is another one of Sony’s pandemic panic buys (like Bungie). Gaming market was growing like crazy, Microsoft was buying up like half the gaming industry, here’s this promising studio with vets from Bungie and Activision, hero shooters are hot shit. Throw some money at them, build them a new office, do whatever it takes to make their game a PS5 console exclusive!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So fucking funny

I don't know when in time these clowns decided to change how to make games and try to cater to like what, 0.5% of the population worldwide, in the fear of being cancelled, again, movements almost artificially created by REEE crowds, journalists like Mercante, and Sweet baby inc, basically a business of putting fear into dev studios and then being the product that can help them.

This is the result.

Get fucked devs

Business isn’t that complicated.

A company can make something trying to appease the masses. Or sell something only 1000 people buy a year like Ferraris.

The key thing is you got to make something that sells and the revenue/cost ratio holds well so you make enough money to survive or even better banknloads of profit.

Problem is they made an unappealing game right from the start, at $40, with a half decent budget and odd marketing. Almost no marketing until the last few months but somehow got enough money and resources to do YT vignettes and concord gamepads.

So fucking funny

This is the result.

Get fucked devs

Indeed.

I'm curious to know how much money Sony wasted on this disaster.

Fairgame$ looks like it's in a lot of trouble - this is another game which looks utter garbage.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think we're seeing a shift amongst consumers - games like Concord will bomb hard.

It's time for publishers stop catering the whims of a very angry and vocal minority.
Absolutely. I think gamers are just so, so fucking tired of games made for “modern audiences”. We’ve reached the point where gamers are forcefully rejecting anything with even the slightest scent of wokeness.

If a game has been in development since pre-pandemic, is made by a western studio, has diversity/representation/girlbosses all over the trailer, and isn’t based on some insanely popular existing IP, then you can just assume it’s going to be a massive bomb.

Absolutely. I think gamers are just so, so fucking tired of games made for “modern audiences”. We’ve reached the point where gamers are forcefully rejecting anything with even the slightest scent of wokeness.

If a game has been in development since pre-pandemic, is made by a western studio, has diversity/representation/girlbosses all over the trailer, and isn’t based on some insanely popular existing IP, then you can just assume it’s going to be a massive bomb.
I'm more impressed with Eastern games/devs as a result. Who seem to be more concerned with making good games instead of hiring 100s of diversity consultants.

Resident Evil 4 Remake was an incredible experience, and featured zero 'DEI politics'.

Last edited:

gakidx

Neo Member
>looking for a new coop shooter
>ask press if its overwatch or tf2
>they laugh 'its a good game sir'
>play beta
>its destiny 2
hq720.jpg

Literally everyone should watch this.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Yup.

It’s actually not even the diversity part that is the killer. Heck, every fighting game has diverse character sets. SF II is even called World Warrior with characters from around the globe. But when you got a game focused on gameplay, and simple one liner insults and cut scene endings that don’t have anything to do with fighting or politics, it’s pretty hard for any gamer to get turned off by diversity messaging or gender reminders. And no programmers back then got lippy in magazine articles insulting gamers. So you ended up with the most influential fighting game ever spawning endless sales and and sequels gamers loved.

What happened is technology and big budgets gave programmers tools to do all their politics. Also, management at fault too since they tolerate this corporate culture and products getting infused with it. I don’t see coke or a cereal maker going ape shit with tv ads and cardboard boxes with politics. But somehow gaming, tech and media seem chock full of it.

Last edited:
Yup.

It’s actually not even the diversity part that is the killer. Heck, every fighting game has diverse character sets. SF II is even called World Warrior with characters from around the globe. But when you got a game focused on gameplay, and simple one liner insults and cut scene endings that don’t have anything to do with fighting or politics, it’s pretty hard for any gamer to get turned off by diversity messaging or gender reminders. And no programmers back then got lippy in magazine articles insulting gamers. So you ended up with the most influential fighting game ever spawning endless sales and and sequels gamers loved.

What happened is technology and big budgets gave programmers tools to do all their politics. Also, management at fault too since they tolerate this corporate culture and products getting infused with it. I don’t see coke or a cereal maker going ape shit with tv ads and cardboard boxes with politics. But somehow gaming, tech and media seem chock full of it.
Video games were exclusively made by nerds; now the goal of devs/pubs is to satisfy some arbitary 'diversity' criteria. As a result, it seems more an more of purple haired pronoun displaying he/shes/they/thems (to this date I still do not understand the purpose of pronouns - perhaps someone can enlighten me) are spear heading games, and hence the constant reinforcement of such ideas in games.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Video games were exclusively made by nerds; now the goal of devs/pubs is to satisfy some arbitary 'diversity' criteria. As a result, it seems more an more of purple haired pronoun displaying he/shes/they/thems (to this date I still do not understand the purpose of pronouns - perhaps someone can enlighten me) are spear heading games, and hence the constant reinforcement of such ideas in games.
And those purple haired idots that are spear heading games absolutely hate gamers, "Gamers are the worst" and all that nonsense, so its no wonder the games are crap because theyre not for gamers, lol

Yup.

Unless they go full stupid, like Bud Light did. My understanding is that they still haven't recovered despite getting Kid Rock and the UFC to get behind them after they both slammed them.

This is why i think some Sony studios can be in danger and why i think Concord will be a blessing in disguise.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Unless they go full stupid, like Bud Light did. My understanding is that they still haven't recovered despite getting Kid Rock and the UFC to get behind them after they both slammed them.
Bud light has dropped to third. Michelob is now second in the US. But Michelob is also owned by Budweiser so it’s not as bad. I never knew modelo was such a popular beer in the US to be #1. Almost nobody drinks it in Canada.

Pretty sure bud light never recovered even 1% share back. It was very consistent -30% for like a year straight.

Last edited:

Seomel

Neo Member
Japan Studio died because none of their games sold particularly well.

Concord isn't the first Sony title that doesn't sell well.
It's just the worst of the bunch. Lol
I dont know if they were in rut, but they had barely done anything themselves, mosy just support. Seems like Asobo really took over their role

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yup.

For sure. I think diversity is generally a very good thing.

But you can tell when diversity was the result of trying to make a better story and more interesting cast of characters, vs. when the diversity is clearly there in order to portray certain people in the most sympathetic + stereotype-defying manner based on their intersectional characteristics. (And often this is accomplished by making the “oppressor class” characters into weak losers with zero agency so the “victim class” characters look impressive in comparison).

And people are getting REALLY good at sniffing that out, finally.
Like if you see characters who look like this:
A5UdLg5.jpeg

You just know they’re going to try so sooooo hard to make them the strongest, smartest, bravest characters with no flaws, no charisma, and no character development.

And that shit is just boring and played out. It’s like some wish fulfillment/power fantasy narrative that you used to see mainly in kids movies or YA fiction.

Raven117

even if the manage to close the studio, closing a studio 1 y after you bought it at an expensive price makes you look pretty stupid no ?
My guess is that they absolutely gut the studio, but keep the programmers and gameplay folks around to use on other projects as a support studio.

ReBurn

Gold Member
My guess is that they absolutely gut the studio, but keep the programmers and gameplay folks around to use on other projects as a support studio.
That would make the most sense in my opinion. The people involved in the design and art direction probably need some well wishes on the way to their next opportunity while the programmers and gameplay folks move to other studios or become a support shop.

Top Bottom