• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Killjoy-NL

Just because the actual shooting is just ok doesn't make the core solid.

What makes you think the people that shat out these characters modes and maps can do any better than what they already have?

You can't fix it. It would be a completely different game.
The core gameplay is solid for more than just the gunplay.
Some decisions are questionable or need some tweaking, but overall there is absolutely nothing wrong with the gameplay.

Some unlockable legendary character skins look much better and in some cases completely different from the models you see now, so it's not like they can't make good looking models.
They clearly decided just to go down this route.

Some of your takes are very ill-informed.

But again, they completely fucked up by going Woke and selling the game (i.e. persuading people to try out the game, generate interest). So we at least agree on that.
(I never even disagreed with that)

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
The core gameplay is solid for more than just the gunplay.
Some decisions are questionable or need some tweaking, but overall there is absolutely nothing wrong with the gameplay.

Some unlockable legendary character skins look much better and in some cases completely different from the models you see now, so it's not like they can't make good looking models.
They clearly decided just to go down this route.

Some of your takes are very ill-informed.

But again, they completely fucked up by going Woke and selling the game. So we at least agree on that.
(I never even disagreed with that)
Ill informed ? No i just think there is more wrong with this game than you are suggesting.

Your telling me you think the maps are great?

What about thise highly original modes?

Looking at the CCU id say most agree with me, it cant even hold onto the players it does have.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Could you post the URL? it's blocked in my shitty country
It was just the money money money song
Ill informed ? No i just think there is more wrong with this game than you are suggesting.

Looking at the CCU id say most agree with me, it cant even hold onto the players it does have.
Thats all you have to do is look at player count which is sub 200 on Steam

If this game had any redeeming qualities more would at least look past the pure wokeness

Game is just straight up trash and needs to be scrapped

Scary thing is it legit would not shock me if Sony dedicates part of their State of Play this month to its DLC

clarky

Gold Member
It was just the money money money song

Thats all you have to do is look at player count which is sub 200 on Steam

If this game had any redeeming qualities more would at least look past the pure wokeness

Game is just straight up trash and needs to be scrapped

Scary thing is it legit would not shock me if Sony dedicates part of their State of Play this month to its DLC
Yup its lost 2/3rd of its player base just a few days since launch. But its just the characters right? Right????

Killjoy-NL

There is enough that they need to adress. I could make quite a list with stuff they ought to change.

But the actual gameplay is pretty good, from gunplay, to movement, verticality and diversity of classes.

Your telling me you think the maps are great?
I don't see how they are very different from a Overwatch.

Potato, potato.
What about thise highly original modes?
Do they need to be original per se?

Gameplay itself is completely different from Overwatch or Valorant, of we're talking strictly about everything besides the Woke bs.
Completely besides the point.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
pafe6We.gif

Killjoy-NL

Not really, if the actual gameplay was decent and fun then the people who are able to look past the wokeness would be sticking around and even recommending it to friends.

That's clearly not happening.
That's the thing, most people arent able to look past the Wokeness. Certainly not on Gaf.

And it's a snowball-effect.

Ultimately, this discussion is redundant, but the core of the game is objectively solid.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Watched the Skill Up review of this, and the story actually sounds... pretty good? The idea of space pirates being given free access to a paradigm changing bit of technology that puts them in direct opposition to an overbearing galactic federation has quite a lot of promise.

And they fucking ruined it on a p.o.s GaaS game full of fat ugly cunts. SMH.
I thought that as well, huge amount of promise with a story premise that's unique and interesting. The 5 minute CGI cutscene they showed during the reveal was cringe to the max, but could have been serviceable if the dialog was tweaked (although it seriously needed to be redone with characters that actually looked like badass heroes). To take that whole premise and ruin it with an online-only arena shooter, pronouns in the character selection screen, ugly characters with even uglier outfits in the microtransaction store, and promises of "story segments" (1-2 minute videos) every few months is such a waste.

Quantum253

Gold Member
I thought that as well, huge amount of promise with a story premise that's unique and interesting. The 5 minute CGI cutscene they showed during the reveal was cringe to the max, but could have been serviceable if the dialog was tweaked (although it seriously needed to be redone with characters that actually looked like badass heroes). To take that whole premise and ruin it with an online-only arena shooter, pronouns in the character selection screen, ugly characters with even uglier outfits in the microtransaction store, and promises of "story segments" (1-2 minute videos) every few months is such a waste.
Do you think there will be a huge expose on the development like there was for Anthem? I'm curious of how 8 years in development produced what we see today. And, inevitablly, the layoffs that will come out of it

MacReady13

What's that saying about going woke...?

Either way, to me game looked like trash and completely doesn't appeal to me. Do TRUE gamers really want this bullshit type of game? I get it- Fortnite appeals to morons but that is cause it's FREE!!!!! There is no barrier to entry. Sony, you done fucked up here big time. Stop promoting this trash and start on the promotions for what will be the best exclusive you've made in the last 5-10 years, Astro Bot.

CrippledGod

Banned
Those character models - they are just repulsive. The main art for this game is all sorts of wrong - a green flat-faced Yondu wannabe, a gorilla-looking Thanos with a tiny forehead and fire mage lady number one thousand and twelve. Did nobody actually look at just that and thought that this just doesn't look right?

Some heads need to roll for such a disaster.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
L9

There are those.

There are also those that get discouraged because everybody is saying the game is dead.

Like I said, it's a snowball effect.
Or people got a glimpse at the first gameplay and dev vid a couple months ago saying it’s a 5v5 hero shooter, and then got a bland beta with unlikeable characters and pastel maps, so of course it’s destined to be bad.

That’s on FW killing their own game. Not gamers sabotaging it.

Up until a few months ago all gamers had was a year old CGI trailer and there wasn’t any big negativity because nobody really knew why the game was aside from it being a shooter.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Or people got a glimpse at the first gameplay and dev vid a couple months ago saying it’s a 5v5 hero shooter, and then got a bland beta with unlikeable characters and pastel maps, so of course it’s destined to be bad.

That’s on FW killing their own game. Not gamers sabotaging it.
I never said otherwise.

Ridicululzz

What could they realistically do to try and right the ship? One of the biggest things seem to be the character models, what can they do there? Redo the existing ones? Release more appealing ones in the future?

Doesn't really seem like they can do much without taking a lot of time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What could they realistically do to try and right the ship? One of the biggest things seem to be the character models, what can they do there? Redo the existing ones? Release more appealing ones in the future?
If you make the fat character skinnier, you're acknowledging that the reason the character was flawed in the first place was because he was fat. I don't see them doing that, given what's been revealed about their corporate leadership.

L9

There are those.

There are also those that get discouraged because everybody is saying the game is dead.

Like I said, it's a snowball effect.

We are very few, pretty much nothing in the grand scheme of things. The matter is that the game doesn't appeal to anybody, not even to those who preach its virtues. It's just not appealing. No matter how good it is from a technical standpoint, that's not how you get people's attention.

A Ferrari is an amazing machine but nobody would buy it if it didn't have the cool factor.

Killjoy-NL

We are very few, pretty much nothing in the grand scheme of things. The matter is that the game doesn't appeal to anybody, not even to those who preach its virtues. It's just not appealing. No matter how good it is from a technical standpoint, that's not how you get people's attention.

A Ferrari is an amazing machine but nobody would buy it if it didn't have the cool factor.
Well yeah, nobody is debating that.

Ridicululzz

If you make the fat character skinnier, you're acknowledging that the reason the character was flawed in the first place was because he was fat. I don't see them doing that, given what's been revealed about their corporate leadership.
Yeah, from what I gather these devs don't seem like the type to own up and admit the character models look atrocious. They also don't seem like the type to release any sort of sexy female character lol

Doesn't really seem like they can do much without taking a lot of time.
scuttle the ship. If I were Sony I would pull the plug quietly after the bad press dies down.

There's nothing to be done. It's a boring game with an unappealing aesthetic that exists solely for pandering. That's no point in fixing something that's rotten from the core, especially when the devs themselves have insisted on doubling down on their nonsense.

Ridicululzz

scuttle the ship. If I were Sony I would pull the plug quietly after the bad press dies down.

There's nothing to be done. It's a boring game with an unappealing aesthetic that exists solely for pandering. That's no point in fixing something that's rotten from the core, especially when the devs themselves have insisted on doubling down on their nonsense.
Yep, that honestly seems like what might happen. Any other fix is going to take time, and it's most likely not worth it if your player base is already in the double digits (on Steam anyways). Sony should also take a look into how the studio is being run, and maybe do some restructuring there. Not sure how much is true from those leaks we've had about the "Professor" and that stuff, but it sounds like it'd be terrible working there lmao

Last edited:
They almost have to scuttle the company at this point or completely rename it. If they do release a next game (doubtful), what are you going to put on the marketing? "From the makers of Concord"? Instant fail

I'm sure it'll go F2P very soon. They'll relaunch it with some free skins that make the characters more attractive and if it does moderately well then, then they'll have some half-baked excuse ready to dish out.

Watched the Skill Up review of this, and the story actually sounds... pretty good? The idea of space pirates being given free access to a paradigm changing bit of technology that puts them in direct opposition to an overbearing galactic federation has quite a lot of promise.

And they fucking ruined it on a p.o.s GaaS game full of fat ugly cunts. SMH.
I don't know what the fuck he was smoking when he said that, there is no story. What you saw in the review was a good chunk of all cutscnenes available which I watched for my own amusement.

They're in space getting something, they make unfunny quips. That is the entire concord story. Don't believe me? Watch all the cutscnenes on YouTube, there's only a few minutes in total.

Any alleged deeper lore is only in some random text boxes, not anything watchable or in game.

Last edited:

Nydius

I'm sure it'll go F2P very soon. They'll relaunch it with some free skins that make the characters more attractive and if it does moderately well then, then they'll have some half-baked excuse ready to dish out.

I agree with going F2P but the rest feels like too much money and effort for a game that couldn’t generate any buzz even when it had a completely free four day beta on PS and PC.

At this point, they’d be better off just putting it out F2P as it is and let it ride into the sunset, bleeding out, slumped over its horse, like Shane, from the classic western.

Last edited:

s_mirage

Nothing at this point, in all likelihood.

They could get another developer to completely retool the character designs and try relaunching as free to play, but the games buying public has rejected this game harder than anything I can recall seeing. I'm not sure spending more money in an attempt to salvage this disaster makes much financial sense.

As it stands, unless there's an unprecedented reversal of fortune, I wonder if the cost of transitioning to F2P would even be worth it. At the current rate, it could have zero players on PC by the end of the week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom