• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Will be interesting to see valves Deadlock brewing into monster hit behind the scenes. I saw the roster, it is every bit Overwatch like. Nailed every character with style and class like the Blizzard of old. Looks built for 'modern audience' as well but everyone looks straight up hot. Concord just epic failed in that department.

Last edited:

KiteGr

pafe6We.gif
Don't bully the one Concord fan of this site...

This is no sarcasm or joke.
I'm being serious.
Let's have fun at Wokeness for catering on 0,1% to make money, but don't bully the actual 0,1% that would had enjoyed it.
It's childish and beneath us.

Sgt.Asher

I wonder if this was originally planned to be a co-op game where you chose jobs across the galaxy. It's just weird that everyone in the game is supposedly on the same ship yet killing each other in game.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It’s not super original it’s character design is clearly shit but the gameplay seems good enough. Maybe a move to free to play and a redesign of characters might help?! We have seen numerous times where games launched shitty and became huge success. Sony has a lot of cash to fix this if they choose to!

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Making the gameplay good is the bare fucking minimum. It’s the standard for video games. Why it’s even a metric for people at this point is insane. Either the game has a tight feel and is fun or it isn’t.

It’s like praising someone for wearing clothes to a job interview. Unless you’re coming to the casting couch, you need to dress up. Bare minimum. You don’t get points for that.

This game has good game and gun play. Playing kyps or haymar is dope.

Gambit2483

Topher

Gold Member
Last edited:
As if on cue, here comes the gaming press needing to defend their access journalism to wag a finger at us, rather than Sony & Firewalk’s incompetence

I read the article. It doesn't acknowledge that the genre is oversaturated. It doesn't acknowledge that gamers don't want live service games. It doesn't acknowledge that this game came at the expense of another game (or two) that would have been welcomed with open arms. It doesn't acknowledge that the game is a hero shooter where none of the heroes are interesting or even desirable to play.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
As if on cue, here comes the gaming press needing to defend their access journalism to wag a finger at us, rather than Sony & Firewalk’s incompetence

I realize that the standards for games journalism these days are nonexistent, but nothing about this is good content. It's a weak man with no more than a surface-level understanding of gaming making more disingenuous arguments in favor of a game that never deserved a chance. People like him are why there is no longer any merit to games journalism.

It’s not super original it’s character design is clearly shit but the gameplay seems good enough. Maybe a move to free to play and a redesign of characters might help?! We have seen numerous times where games launched shitty and became huge success. Sony has a lot of cash to fix this if they choose to!
I'd say the gameplay would look acceptable if the movement wasn't so fucking slow.

Last edited:
Free to play in 1 week, Server shutdown in 1 month?

The number of people who bought it is probably so small, that a refund for all players is not expensive at all.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

MayauMiao

I read the article. It doesn't acknowledge that the genre is oversaturated. It doesn't acknowledge that gamers don't want live service games. It doesn't acknowledge that this game came at the expense of another game (or two) that would have been welcomed with open arms. It doesn't acknowledge that the game is a hero shooter where none of the heroes are interesting or even desirable to play.
It doesn't matter, many gamers don't acknowledge game journalism credibility.

It has been an amazing week to watch people literally contort themselves in logical pretzels to explain this massive failure. There arguments just aren't panning out and when they get closer to the target they can't even articulate why the character designs are bad. They tip toe around the topic while citing the character designs as the main reason.

I didn't think it was possible but this has been more entertaining to rubberneck than SS:KTJL. I am waiting for the day where obvious fly-by-night asset flip indies that don't even function have a higher CCU than a game that took hunderds of millions and 8 years to make.

Last edited:

This is an excellent review of the game and basically hits all the major points of criticism:

-Gives off impression of being generic & derivative​
-Designs being diverse is not the problem; the fact the designs are lazy & weak is what hurts it​
-Designs lack strong silhouettes​
-The cutscenes have no traction because people don't care about the characters​
-The game doesn't do anything in terms of its game design that's new, bold, unique & different in an immediate way​

They kind of also go into how SIE's 1P non-GAAS AAA games have generally succeeded by being either industry-leading in some fashion and within their genre space, or setting some type of new standard to expand the genre and market. Helldivers 2 was a success because it took some of that direction of the non-GAAS titles and applied it to itself by being unique among its space.

Concord failed this massively and if SIE's other GAAS titles fail to take these lessons into account they will also fail, perhaps even worst.

This is an excellent review of the game and basically hits all the major points of criticism:

-Gives off impression of being generic & derivative​
-Designs being diverse is not the problem; the fact the designs are lazy & weak is what hurts it​
-Designs lack strong silhouettes​
-The cutscenes have no traction because people don't care about the characters​
-The game doesn't do anything in terms of its game design that's new, bold, unique & different in an immediate way​

They kind of also go into how SIE's 1P non-GAAS AAA games have generally succeeded by being either industry-leading in some fashion and within their genre space, or setting some type of new standard to expand the genre and market. Helldivers 2 was a success because it took some of that direction of the non-GAAS titles and applied it to itself by being unique among its space.

Concord failed this massively and if SIE's other GAAS titles fail to take these lessons into account they will also fail, perhaps even worst.

I really don't think it's possible to fail harder than this. This is probably the biggest bomb since I started gaming 25 years ago.

StereoVsn

It was just the money money money song

Thats all you have to do is look at player count which is sub 200 on Steam

If this game had any redeeming qualities more would at least look past the pure wokeness

Game is just straight up trash and needs to be scrapped

Scary thing is it legit would not shock me if Sony dedicates part of their State of Play this month to its DLC
Dammit, that’s what I get for not reading the thread before posting! 😂

Just threw in ABBA as well. As far as Concord goes, it will be fascinating to see how much more money is Sony willing to throw away on this.

Any sane Gaming division president would have killed it off before it even released.

havoc00

Final Verdict

Concord isn’t the most innovative or content-heavy hero shooter you could play, but with such fantastic competitive gameplay, 16 compelling characters to master, and 12 well-designed maps, it’s got the makings of something that could go the distance in the months and years to come. In fact, it’s a testament to its FPS chops that even while it has a virtually nonexistent story and a serious need for a signature game mode, I still found myself losing dozens of hours to its PvP charms. Hopefully the live-service roadmap will do its thing and show this promising shooter the love it needs to become something truly special, but right now it’s at least good enough for me to recommend trying out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Final Verdict

Concord isn’t the most innovative or content-heavy hero shooter you could play, but with such fantastic competitive gameplay, 16 compelling characters to master, and 12 well-designed maps, it’s got the makings of something that could go the distance in the months and years to come. In fact, it’s a testament to its FPS chops that even while it has a virtually nonexistent story and a serious need for a signature game mode, I still found myself losing dozens of hours to its PvP charms. Hopefully the live-service roadmap will do its thing and show this promising shooter the love it needs to become something truly special, but right now it’s at least good enough for me to recommend trying out.

It sounds more like he's reviewing a game that could exist in a year vs. the game that exists today (and that won't exist in a year).

Top Bottom