• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Final Verdict

Concord isn’t the most innovative or content-heavy hero shooter you could play, but with such fantastic competitive gameplay, 16 compelling characters to master, and 12 well-designed maps, it’s got the makings of something that could go the distance in the months and years to come. In fact, it’s a testament to its FPS chops that even while it has a virtually nonexistent story and a serious need for a signature game mode, I still found myself losing dozens of hours to its PvP charms. Hopefully the live-service roadmap will do its thing and show this promising shooter the love it needs to become something truly special, but right now it’s at least good enough for me to recommend trying out.

Reads like it could've been written with the help of AI. "Innovative, compelling characters, fantastic competitve gameplay ( with who)", IGN continues to show why their reviews are a woke...I mean joke

Last edited:
akukjtP.jpeg

This outfit is a hate crime in progress.
kill it gtfo GIF by South Park

The ending was worth it.

I completely agree with this perspective, as it captures exactly what I wanted to express. My goal in making a game is to create something that can be successful and profitable, not to push an agenda or politics that most people aren't interested in. Insulting your customers won't do you any favors. Now, the company is facing serious challenges, and many people may lose their jobs as a result.

Many companies are trying to cater to a small minority, which isn't inherently problematic. However, when the entire focus revolves around this minority, it can alienate the majority. In this case, it seems like the approach was to appease 0.10% of the audience while alienating 99.90% of the customer base. This strategy is unlikely to succeed.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The clowns at Reee are now trying to censor CCU threads.
There's a really active Steam CCU thread there. If people are creating new ones that could be a reason for the crackdown, since there's already a thread for that. People were making fun of the double digits this morning and have't been banned. I'm all for giving them shit when they deserve it, but as far as discussions there go the CCU thread is surprisingly rational.

A lot of them are trying to blame the low CCU on lack of advertising and not enough people knowing the game exists, but mods don't seem to be banning people for saying the reason is lack of appeal. If anything they banned sensitive people in the first pages of the thread for trying to shout down and dismiss people criticizing the game.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I completely agree with this perspective, as it captures exactly what I wanted to express. My goal in making a game is to create something that can be successful and profitable, not to push an agenda or politics that most people aren't interested in. Insulting your customers won't do you any favors. Now, the company is facing serious challenges, and many people may lose their jobs as a result.

Many companies are trying to cater to a small minority, which isn't inherently problematic. However, when the entire focus revolves around this minority, it can alienate the majority. In this case, it seems like the approach was to appease 0.10% of the audience while alienating 99.90% of the customer base. This strategy is unlikely to succeed.
FW has no idea what they were doing. It's clear a bunch of whiney tech bros with your typical immature gaming employees took over the office floor.

But nobody can call FW's CEO a chump. With a lousy game like Concord a year away from launch, he got Sony brass to buy out his entire company! He's like a Wall Street banker who offloaded junk bonds to a big bank. And they took it. lol

I'm surprised Sony got hooked into it. They might shut down studios sometimes, but they seem to have a good track record of buying up studios like ND, Insomniac, Nixxes etc.... What they saw in FW and Concord who knows. I dont get a feeling Jim Ryan is huge left leaning fan. He's just a business guy and it looks like he doesn't even play games. I can only think of they desperately needed some more GAAS to fill a gap, or what some gaffer said to me days ago tech companies might buy up other companies for sake of raw talent and not what product they got on the table now. A possibility I guess. Not something I've ever seen in my experience, but maybe in tech that happens a lot.

Never the less, making a product for a niche audience is fine. Every industry has their big mainstream products, and low priced/high priced/or niche need products.

Problem is a studio spent a lot of time, money and people power clearly making a game is isn't priced right to begin with $40, and the core audience wanting to play it is literally 1,000s of gamers. Not 100,000s or 1,000,000s which a AAA GAAS shooter would aim at. The game seems to have good technical aspects, but the mundane modes, gameplay and aesthetics are as lousy as it can gets.

If youre going to go big with a AAA shooter that has some decent budget to it (heck Sony even bought out the entire studio instead of just doing a partnership deal), you got to make something that at least puts a best foot forward and have a fighting chance to be the next OW or Apex Legends or whatever. It doesn't even have to be at that level of success. Just something that pays the bills and you survive till the next game. One of those download only WWI or WWII squad based shooters even has more gamers. And those games have zero marketing. Only time you hear about it is randomly flipping through the Xbox store and you see it one day by pure luck.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
akukjtP.jpeg

This outfit is a hate crime in progress.
If you look at this pic on a small screen like a phone, it looks like a vegetable parody costume. Top camera part is the green stem.

This may be the biggest bomb/commercial failure in gaming industry of the decade.
Like Sony literally devoted 1/3 of State of Play into it and it still tanked hard.
And they even dug in deeper buying out the entire company.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Now makes u think did Jim Ryan quit early because all of Sony is infested with these woke people and he got tired and dont want to face backlash if he didnt greenlight woke stuff
Possibly. Over time, maybe it just killed him.

He definitely doesn't look like a woke exec. He's seems like a straightlaced exec who could fill in wearing a suit and tie at a bankers convention. By the way he'd talk PS, I dont even think he even played games.

Possibly. Over time, maybe it just killed him.

He definitely doesn't look like a woke exec. He's seems like a straightlaced exec who could fill in wearing a suit and tie at a bankers convention. By the way he'd talk PS, I dont even think he even played games.
If he wasn't 'encouraged to retire', I think he probably saw the writing on the wall with how some things were panning out and thought the ride might be a bit too bumpy for him moving forward.

Killjoy-NL

Making the gameplay good is the bare fucking minimum. It’s the standard for video games. Why it’s even a metric for people at this point is insane. Either the game has a tight feel and is fun or it isn’t.

It’s like praising someone for wearing clothes to a job interview. Unless you’re coming to the casting couch, you need to dress up. Bare minimum. You don’t get points for that.

This game has good game and gun play. Playing kyps or haymar is dope.
Pointing out gameplay and the core of the game are good =/= praising basic features.

If Sony decides to keep supporting the game, all the bashing becomes white noise, as pretty much all issues can be solved.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

I can't believe the actual peak came within an hour of launch and declined during the weekend. I figured it would flop but still manage 5k or more players at peak times the first week or so.

What a depressing generation this has been for 1st party software releases overall.(not including Nintendo). Microsoft releases have been mediocre to awful while Sony wasted way too much money on Bungie and this studio. Concord will likely end up being the most disastrous AAA launch in years.

Shame we do not live in the timeline where Factions turned out amazing and trash like Concord was cancelled.

havoc00

I can't believe the actual peak came within an hour of launch and declined during the weekend. I figured it would flop but still manage 5k or more players at peak times the first week or so.

What a depressing generation this has been for 1st party software releases overall.(not including Nintendo). Microsoft releases have been mediocre to awful while Sony wasted way too much money on Bungie and this studio. Concord will likely end up being the most disastrous AAA launch in years.

Shame we do not live in the timeline where Factions turned out amazing and trash like Concord was cancelled.
as of now im still getting less than 30 second match making time on ps5

Ozzie666

What I wonder is who decided these designs are a good idea.

Can't imagine them not knowing people would collectively hate em.

Maybe they knew exactly what they were doing and wanted to create some disruption and discourse. In the end, they can turn this into being the victims and some hill to fight and die on. Look at the media throwing in their support and blaming the gamer audience. I can't believe Sony signed off on this or didn't see this coming.

In the end, the studio got paid and they made their statement. The game's success appears almost secondary to them.

Killjoy-NL

Maybe they knew exactly what they were doing and wanted to create some disruption and discourse. In the end, they can turn this into being the victims and some hill to fight and die on. Look at the media throwing in their support and blaming the gamer audience. I can't believe Sony signed off on this or didn't see this coming.

In the end, the studio got paid and they made their statement. The game's success appears almost secondary to them.
Maybe. Would seem like a high risk/no reward gamble.

Sony must have had full confidence in the gameplay, because I can't imagine them not expecting some backlash.

But tbf, this backlash is unprecendented for a company like Sony. Lol

I really want to know the morale inside the studio. Do they still think the initial reaction was "white noise"? Don't they feel victimized by the online toxicity?

but I'm even more curious about the lead character designer. what was he/she/they/undecided goal or objective? clearly it's pushing desexualization... but whyyyy?

i am sure these designs are actively pushing people away, even the target demographic.

and remember the Insomniac/ Wolverine leaks? I think there was a presentation mentioning something about making a character "diverse" or something like that. So yeah, Sony producers are at best, aware of this and at worst, pushing for this agenda too.

maybe is too late for a pivot and we are going to witness sony going full woke. and as iron man said: - you never go full woke

xanaum

Neo Member
This reminds me of the disastrous launch of Predator Hunting Grounds. No one wanted to play it, no one even wanted to try because anything else seemed more interesting.

In Concord's case, it's even worse because it has a bigger budget and is a First Party

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I really want to know the morale inside the studio. Do they still think the initial reaction was "white noise"? Don't they feel victimized by the online toxicity?

but I'm even more curious about the lead character designer. what was he/she/they/undecided goal or objective? clearly it's pushing desexualization... but whyyyy?

i am sure these designs are actively pushing people away, even the target demographic.

and remember the Insomniac/ Wolverine leaks? I think there was a presentation mentioning something about making a character "diverse" or something like that. So yeah, Sony producers are at best, aware of this and at worst, pushing for this agenda too.

maybe is too late for a pivot and we are going to witness sony going full woke. and as iron man said: - you never go full woke
I wonder if they’ve had conversations with their masters (Sony) and if Sony has lied to them and said everything is ok.

As if on cue, here comes the gaming press needing to defend their access journalism to wag a finger at us, rather than Sony & Firewalk’s incompetence

This article is the embodiment of the gaming press. They're all likely under the pocket of Sony and are scared to speak out against their masters in the fear of reprisals.

I did read the article to see if there were any reasonable talking points - but no - pure drivel.

We all know why Concord failed. It failed because it's shit and it's trying to appease to purple haired weirdos.

I have a few friends and family members who play games 'casually' - and all of them are sick of 'woke infestation' in video games. And these are people who only play Call of Duty Warzone - unlike most of us who follow gaming by active forum participation. Now granted this is a very small sample size, but probably more revealing than you think.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This article is the embodiment of the gaming press. They're all likely under the pocket of Sony and are scared to speak out against their masters in the fear of reprisals.

I did read the article to see if there were any reasonable talking points - but no - pure drivel.

We all know why Concord failed. It failed because it's shit and it's trying to appease to purple haired weirdos.

I have a few friends and family members who play games 'casually' - and all of them are sick of 'woke infestation' in video games. And these are people who only play Call of Duty Warzone - unlike most of us who follow gaming by active forum participation. Now granted this is a very small sample size, but probably more revealing than you think.
Yup. They’re afraid they won’t be invited to future pressers or be sent early review copies. It’s been like this for a while. People are just really now starting to see it now that a woke piece of shit game has come from a first party.

Cyberpunkd

As if on cue, here comes the gaming press needing to defend their access journalism to wag a finger at us, rather than Sony & Firewalk’s incompetence

That is a bizarre article, especially with quotes like that:
But it's not actually that easy to know why one game succeeds and another doesn't.
That is blatantly not true or at least not the case here. Concord failed not because of pronouns, pink hair, etc. (Sorry GAF), it did so because there is nothing it does better than the competitors, where people already invested months and years in. The average score - 5/10 or 6/10 - means exactly what it means: the game is perfectly average, there is no compelling reason for people to switch from whatever they were playing.

Killjoy-NL

The game's development supposedly started 8 years ago, Firewalk was formed in 2018 and Sony didn't enter into a partnership deal until 2021 and acquired Firewalk in 2023.

The game was already 3-4 years in development before they even got involved, so Sony knew.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

They were cheering on the failure of Redfall and riding the Starfield hate train last year without any problem. But that was for a company they don’t like so it’s ok.

The article was funny just for this part:
Dramatic post-launch turnarounds do happen, and maybe updates and a sale can get Concord some momentum.
Which live service game has had a dramatic turnaround post-launch?

Top Bottom