• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Got you boys a banger from the discord.

8kAisst.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

8kAisst.png
There's more resentment from taxpayers.

FW employees will be out of a job soon and they'll be entitled to collect unemployment insurance. All because they made a crap product despite a big budget. Waste of time, money and productivity.

A mom and pop bakery making homemade muffins and bagels works their sales and budgets better.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

4ewgX57.gif

there are several videos talking about the character design... and i frucking love it.

I'm convinced that, what we are witnessing is the product of someone's ideology fogging their mind.

the reception of these designs has to be devastating for the artists/designers (I would feel bad for them) but these designs are not genuine.

Holistically, I agree with most of the video. His tweaking is better than what the devs made.

But it's still pretty subjective. I think everyone agrees the washed out pastel colours are awful. But he focuses on a very rigid art style which is this. I'm no graphic artists, but who knew making visuals has to be like this:

- One primary colour
- One secondary colour
- One accent colour
- Hands and gloves or trim should all match
- Blacks and whites are boring neutral colours

When he picked apart Emari, the character has gold trim stripes on her belt. and complained nowhere else has the same trim colour. Who cares. Who says belt buckle colours has to be somewhere else?

Personally, a great design can be a great design regardless of colours. Heck, you can have one of those creepy gothy characters that's 90% black trenchcoat and it might look awesome.

The colours are weak in Concord, but so are the costumes themselves, which no colour adjustment can fix.

I dont play Overwatch, but I find it odd he ragged on OW characters at the end basically calling them shit, and then promotes his own games and characters which look like Xbox 360 era.

I think he's jumping on the Concord hate train being one part serious about it, and one part self promoting his games. He claims he's serious about it, but then makes sarcastic jokes in the YT text or discussion that's it's the best selling game. So he is ragging on it for laughs. But not in a big belly laugh or LOL way.

Last edited:
Holistically, I agree with most of the video. His tweaking is better than what the devs made.

But it's still pretty subjective. I think everyone agrees the washed out pastel colours are awful. But he focuses on a very rigid art style which is:

- One primary colour
- One secondary colour
- One accent colour

When he picked apart Emari, the character has gold trim stripes on her belt. and complained nowhere else has the same trim colour. Who cares. Who says belt buckle colours has to be somewhere else?

Personally, a great design can be a great design regardless of colours. Heck, you can have one of those creepy gothy characters that's 90% black trenchcoat and it might look awesome.

The colours are weak in Concord, but so are the costumes themselves, which no colour adjustment can fix.

I dont play Overwatch, but I find it odd he ragged on OW characters at the end basically calling them shit, and then promotes his own games and characters which look like Xbox 360 era.

I think he's jumping on the Concord hate train being one part serious about it, and one part self promoting his games. He claims he's serious about it, but then makes sarcastic jokes in the YT text or discussion that's it's the best selling game. So he is ragging on it for laughs. But not in a big belly laugh or LOL way.
Yea, not sure what to take seriously from him. Especially when in his intro he calls it a popular "Xbox" game.
I'm sure he's being sarcastic most of the time :)

diffusionx

Gold Member

But it's still pretty subjective. I think everyone agrees the washed out pastel colours are awful. But he focuses on a very rigid art style which is this. I'm no graphic artists, but who knew making visuals has to be like this:

- One primary colour
- One secondary colour
- One accent colour

It's subjective but he is also talking about basic principles of character design that the Concord designers seem not to understand or intentionally violated. I have absolutely no background in art but I saw just how bad the black lady character is designed. Compare it to Overwatch's designs and it's just crazy. And some of the other costumes are even worse than the defaults.

It's like the Mrs. Freeze design for Suicide Squad who looks like Chudjak. It's just bizarre what these companies are churning out for games that cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

Last edited:

Rambone

There's more resentment from taxpayers.

FW employees will be out of a job soon and they'll be entitled to collect unemployment insurance. All because they made a crap product despite a big budget. Waste of time, money and productivity.

A mom and pop bakery making homemade muffins and bagels works their sales and budgets better.

What a glorious feast, milking Sony for so long, push out their turd and then collect their benefits as the whole studio gets shuttered.

Amazon Prime Smile GIF by The Boys

Facism

"white privilege"

Someone should let these people know there's more to race and ethnicity outside of being put into categories of White, Black, Asian or Brown. Mad racist to me. Reducing billions into narrow descriptors with no care given to the vast cultural, linguistic and genetic diversity of the human race.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

8kAisst.png
lol I would love to see the breakdown of the demographics who played this game. I bet you anything that white males are the #1 demographic playing it.

Kinda like with The Marvels how they tried to blame misogyny yet the preview audiences were over 70% men.

Earth to dipshits: you arrogantly made the thing that you thought audiences ought to want, instead of understanding what they actually want. What in the hell did you think was going to happen?

That's how I see it. He has good academic points about character design, tonal scheme, and such. it's the fact that the character design is one of the main talking points about Concord's failure that makes my day. Those designs are intentional; they have an ulterior motive that is not to make the game better

They'll quietly let it die, maybe slip in some stuff about Season 1 if it happens.
I don’t think any additional content is coming. They can’t be so delusional to think that they can turn it around.

At this stage the game is loosing money everyday by just running and maintaining the servers.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have sony made any statement at all about the situation? Or are they still in the denial stage?

No comments.

I don't think they've given out a date for when the next CG story episode will come out. They said they will do one weekly IIRC.

Fake

Gold Member
Have sony made any statement at all about the situation? Or are they still in the denial stage?

I don't think they will. If you have a Playstation 5 you know that they will float your homescreen with notifications about 'Play Concord' and all those things related.

Wasn't different on Playstation 4. Time to time they send a fucking annoying notification about a 'new season for Fortnite' and I hated.

Pretty sure, Sony gave it already up. If they would still be hopeful they would still try some promotional show a roadmap for what’s to come, but nothing since launch…

Does SteamDB go back and revise/update its numbers after a week or so?

I've noticed that high of just under 700 players has been reduced down to just over 600 players. Take out the dev players (+friend's & family), game "journalists", influencers, Sony staff from other studios....just how many of those players were legit buyers of Concord on steam that first day? 100?

G2TMnaK.jpeg

Hookshot

Gold Member
Does SteamDB go back and revise/update its numbers after a week or so?

I've noticed that high of just under 700 players has been reduced down to just over 600 players. Take out the dev players (+friend's & family), game "journalists", influencers, Sony staff from other studios....just how many of those players were legit buyers of Concord on steam that first day? 100?

G2TMnaK.jpeg
I mentioned that the other day. We will never really know just how bad it truly was. Someone else said that the Devs might have been playing on the PS5 due it being first party but that would only have inflated those numbers instead.

"Analysts" talking to IGN think the game only sold 25,000 split over both releases.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pet project Pentiment is higher than Concord. And so is some random tank game. And as I said a day or two ago, I think Dustborn will pass Concord. Getting there. Dustborn has actually stabilized in daily users. Concord is still trending down.

One of these days, Dustborn might overtake Concord in daily Steam CCU.

rQzseY8.jpeg

hiSAKrq.jpeg

uKjmlYE.jpeg

13UMckT.jpeg

Top Bottom