• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dustborn now only 25 gamers away from catching Concord.

uhr8MPj.jpeg

Dropped 7 more people (-10%) in 5 minutes.

2HJFmCv.jpeg

As the weekend progresses and more people jump into the CoD beta, it'll get worse. The constant deluge of negative press regarding the game(whether it's lack of players, it's design, it's price, etc.) ensures almost no additional sales.

Whatever they have for a playerbase now, that's it. And it'll go down as there's no new content(if it gets any) until October.

why are you guys still looking up player numbers daily? don't you have games to play?

This is peak no life behaviour lol

The games dead, move one with your lives

What a stupid question. People have always enjoyed tracking successes and failures, especially when they are high profile. Add in the drama surrounding how the developer has behaved, the fact that most people here hate the GaaS trend that Sony is chasing…pretty obvious why the grave dancing happens.

tmlDan

What a stupid question. People have always enjoyed tracking successes and failures, especially when they are high profile. Add in the drama surrounding how the developer has behaved, the fact that most people here hate the GaaS trend that Sony is chasing…pretty obvious why the grave dancing happens.
"people have always enjoyed tracking success" no, they're not doing that, if you think that you're genuinely not very smart. Don't let one dev speak for the studio, be normal please.

Last edited:
"people have always enjoyed tracking success" no, they're not doing that, if you think that you're genuinely not very smart. Don't let one dev speak for the studio, be normal please.

What are you going on about. Of course people enjoy tracking successes and failures. That isn’t even debatable. Be normal? I think it’s pretty clear that you don’t even understand basic logic.

tmlDan

What are you going on about. Of course people enjoy tracking successes and failures. That isn’t even debatable. Be normal? I think it’s pretty clear that you don’t even understand basic logic.
go through the thread again, use your thinking brain.

you're the one who can't understand basic logic

Last edited:
go through the thread again, use your thinking brain.

you're the one who can't understand basic logic

So you have no actual rebuttal to that. K that’s what I thought. P.S. for some reason you only commented on the first two sentences of my post. I went into more detail about why this one is being celebrated an extra amount. But your brain doesn’t seem capable of processing much.

Last edited:

tmlDan

So you have no actual rebuttal to that. K that’s what I thought. P.S. for some reason you only commented on the first two sentences of my post. I went into more detail about why this one is being celebrated an extra amount. But your brain doesn’t seem capable of processing much.
What would i respond to? posting player numbers ever few hours is not normal behaviour when analyzing performance and tracking success.

It's absolutely wild that i had to state that.

I know people online don't admit when they're wrong but this is your chance. The game having 600 players and now 60 doesn't matter, it already failed, there's nothing to analyze. Again, be normal.

What would i respond to? posting player numbers ever few hours is not normal behaviour when analyzing performance and tracking success.

I know people online don't admit when they're wrong but this is your chance. The game having 600 players and now 60 doesn't matter, it already failed, there's nothing to analyze. Again, be normal.

Of course it matters that it went from 600 to 60. That means it is an even bigger failure; and not only isn’t improving but is getting worse. It’s absolutely wild that I had to state that.

Also, as explained there is nothing wrong with people celebrating this failure for the reasons stated. Again, be normal.

Last edited:

xBlueStonex

For a first party Sony game to launch with less than 1k users and nosedive so spectacularly is historic and deserves all the attention it's getting. Especially considering how fervent the discourse around GAaS has been. If you don't like the discussion, ignore the thread.

tmlDan

Of course it matters that it went from 600 to 60. That means it is an even bigger failure; and not only isn’t improving but is getting worse. It’s absolutely wild that I had to state that.

Also, as explained there is nothing wrong with people celebrating this failure for the reasons stated. Again, be normal.
no it does not matter, 600 people is no diff from 60, its a massive failure. wtf are you all talking about like that matters. crazy.

It's a forum. People discuss stuff.
Maybe it's morbid, maybe it's not normal, but clearly people are participating in this thread for whatever reason they do.

The question for me, is why does that bother you at all? You can choose to ignore it or not.

tmlDan

For a first party Sony game to launch with less than 1k users and nosedive so spectacularly is historic and deserves all the attention it's getting. Especially considering how fervent the discourse around GAaS has been. If you don't like the discussion, ignore the thread.
I made one comment, im responding to others who replied. It's not that big a deal bud. If you don't like it don't respond, i don't stalk the thread, i don't care that much lol

Also, no, 1k and less or a bit more makes no difference, its not gonna change the failure of the game at all. It also doesn't change the discourse or the discussion at all.

It's a forum. People discuss stuff.
Maybe it's morbid, maybe it's not normal, but clearly people are participating in this thread for whatever reason they do.

The question for me, is why does that bother you at all? You can choose to ignore it or not.
Then don't reply to me lol i get a notification im not checking the thread lol

Last edited:
I made one comment, im responding to others who replied. It's not that big a deal bud. If you don't like it don't respond, i don't stalk the thread, i don't care that much lol

Also, no, 1k and less or a bit more makes no difference, its not gonna change the failure of the game at all. It also doesn't change the discourse or the discussion at all.

I'm replying to you as a discussion. You were asking why people are even posting in this thread asking for numbers because it's already a failure?
It's not a bid deal to me either, but you were the one asking so I responded as others have to you as well.

You seem to have a problem with people asking for updates on the numbers the game is doing? That sounds to me like a you problem.

no it does not matter, 600 people is no diff from 60, its a massive failure. wtf are you all talking about like that matters. crazy.

The worsening numbers means that it isn’t improving, which further solidifies that it’s a colossal failure. Extra enjoyment due to the way the devs are acting. Not hard logic to grasp. Crazy.

You are getting notifications because you cared enough to call everyone out in the first place. And now you care enough to keep coming back and commenting to the people who are laughing at your stupidity. Just take your L and move along.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I see my gypsy curse worked. 🫠

That should teach you to never dissappoint me again, Sony. 🤨🤌🏻

Because the next one is leprosy of the testicles. 🤨🤌🏻🤌🏻🤌🏻

Are you the guy that made the TV update thread (re: avatar) or did you just co-opt it?

That was a fucking legendary thread lol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Rn5rCvk.jpeg

According to this site only 1,220 players have earned the easiest trophy (getting your first kill).

If that’s accurate then that 15,000 PS5 sales estimate seems pretty damn optimistic.
I totally get it that Steam CCU is a snapshot in time. But going by the max 697 all time peak, IMO there is no way Steam has more than 5,000 buyers. And thats almost going by some rule of thumb I remember hearing about take CCU at launch period and x10.

Add in PS5 sales and I think it's more like 10-15k tops.

On the plus side for Sony, any disc copies sold into stores that are not returnable back to Sony (RA return authorization refund) would technically add to sales. Even if they sit on a shelf so nobody can play it, those are technically still sales. Just not sales to gamers.

All it takes is the avg Walmart store (there's about 10,000 of them in the world) to stock 3 copies per slot in the gaming section and that can already be 30,000 disc copies sold. Add in Best Buy and all the gaming shops and you can get way more.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

Are you the guy that made the TV update thread (re: avatar) or did you just co-opt it?

That was a fucking legendary thread lol
Nah, I just found my calling, err, I mean avatar in M Mooreberg self own.

And yes it was epic, so epic I think OP still hasn't come back /checksthread/ yep, he ded 😆

Last edited:

Darkkahn

Rn5rCvk.jpeg

According to this site only 1,220 players have earned the easiest trophy (getting your first kill).

If that’s accurate then that 15,000 PS5 sales estimate seems pretty damn optimistic.
Psnprofiles numbers are not a good reference to draw any conclusions from, because you need to set up your console in a special way before this website can read your data.
That being said, you can see how the trophy hunters are responding to this game.

Holammer

This video deserves its own thread, but I'm fucking sick and tired of Concord threads cluttering up the forum, so let's put it here.
The video is an analysis by Tyler of Knowledgehusk, he gives some interesting insights into why this is the worst flop in video game industry history. One of the most thoughtful angles is how much the industry changed in the eight years the game was under development and the point is beautifully [metaphorically] illustrated. The culture war aspect is dealt with humorously.

ToneyJ

This video deserves its own thread, but I'm fucking sick and tired of Concord threads cluttering up the forum, so let's put it here.
The video is an analysis by Tyler of Knowledgehusk, he gives some interesting insights into why this is the worst flop in video game industry history. One of the most thoughtful angles is how much the industry changed in the eight years the game was under development and the point is beautifully [metaphorically] illustrated. The culture war aspect is dealt with humorously.

Never seen this channel before but the writing and editing for this video are hilarious. Fun watch.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Good video. Only thing I'd have a different view is the price. At $40 I think Sony did it simply because they arent a F2P kind of company and Helldivers 2 raked in big cash at $40. Unless they changed their pricing to be more dynamic, I think Sony's internal pricing strategy is $70 for full budget SP games and $40 for GAAS. We'll have to see if their next GAAS game is also $40.

why are you guys still looking up player numbers daily? don't you have games to play?

This is peak no life behaviour lol

The games dead, move one with your lives
I know this place is called the gaming board, but its mainstay has always been platform warring, culture warring and industry drama. Concord bombing just happens to be super relevant to all three, so don't expect people to shut up about it anytime soon.

Bernardougf

Have sony made any statement at all about the situation? Or are they still in the denial stage?
Start a Twitter rumor about Concord, apparently big corporations and studios are now obligated to responde to every internet rumor with clarity.***

***as long as its not MS

Last edited:
How were the numbers of Anthem when it came out? That was dead pretty quickly and I think it did significantly better at first.
I played it a good while after it was released via the EA Pass or whatever it was called and I could still easily find players.
It's a shame because the game had potential, but was released way too early before it was ready riddled with bugs. They also needed to more varied enemies as everything did feel "samey" even in the short time I played it.

It probably needed another year cooking before it was released.

kevboard

How were the numbers of Anthem when it came out? That was dead pretty quickly and I think it did significantly better at first.

all we know is the game sold a total of 5 million units. player numbers are hard to gauge as it wasn't on Steam.
but if the sales numbers of 25k for Concord are in fact accurate... then holy fucking shit does that put the situation in perspective I think

Last edited:

kevboard

Have sony made any statement at all about the situation? Or are they still in the denial stage?

Sony will probably not say a single thing until they have a plan ready on how to convert it into a free 2 play game.
which would mean a restructuring of their cosmetics as microtransactions, possibly making new characters microtransactions as well, and possibly push more cosmetics to sell (as currently the characters have less skin variants than even Overwatch had on launch)

and all of this also needs some PR angle. coupling it to a big game update with a new game mode possibly. and maybe a revamp of some of the games less liked elements (movement speed, character design).
they could make it a big "Season 2" launch, where all characters get a new design that is less boring, with skins to buy etc.

GermanZepp

0mqbCOh.jpeg

Top Bottom