• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-character-artist-v0-5s68xno4ii7d1.jpeg

It’s probably something like this. Maybe they started with some halfway decent character designs. What we are seeing is what’s left after they scrubbed the characters of any hint of beauty, sex appeal, or any overly masculine/feminine traits in order to appease all the ugly, spiteful activist types.
Grocery store aunties :messenger_grinning_sweat:

all we know is the game sold a total of 5 million units. player numbers are hard to gauge as it wasn't on Steam.
but if the sales numbers of 25k for Concord are in fact accurate... then holy fucking shit does that put the situation in perspective I think
I doubt that they are accurate. Looking at the steam all time high and that on PSN only like 1200 players got the easiest trophy “get your first kill), I think 25,000 is too high.
I don’t think k that much people buy the game without playing it at least for a couple of minutes.

So what does an artist do then? Does someone make an outline of a character and they color it in with fucking crayons? Are you trying to tell me that an artist had absolutely no say in anything related to this game? Why hire them? Just use AI then.
Are you really this dense? I'm not saying the character designs weren't done by an artist, but that most of the artists working on the game aren't character designers and there's no reason to believe they're just "leftovers". Absolutely nothing about this game suggests that, say, the modelers, animators, material artists or technical artists are particularly bad at their jobs. Quite the opposite, in fact. The design work is literally the only thing that's shit about this game from an artistic perspective.

Are you really this dense? I'm not saying the character designs weren't done by an artist, but that most of the artists working on the game aren't character designers and there's no reason to believe they're just "leftovers". Absolutely nothing about this game suggests that, say, the modelers, animators, material artists or technical artists are particularly bad at their jobs. Quite the opposite, in fact. The design work is literally the only thing that's shit about this game from an artistic perspective.
This game had 8 years of development ...

I've been playing a bit of some OW2 lately. If they had the kind of art that was put into the newly released Juno for their cast, it would be more appealing to at least some players. But nope, we had to get weird, ugly characters in a very questionable color pallet.

For reference, here is Juno....

Very distinctly female, hypnotic movement of them hips and butt :), and good use of colors. And although OW2 does have some nod for the modern audience crowd, it's never really in your face. Although, I do think they pulled the ole bait and switch sexual preference retcon swap with some popular characters like Tracer and Soldier 76, it's mostly in the story lore and not prevelant in game.

I'd also like to point out that the devs intentionally stated that they didn't want any white male characters in this game. According to the interwebz, 75% of male gamers are white. So um ... yeah. I couldn't be more joyous that a company as hateful, racist, and stupid as this one is failing so miserably.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pretty much as peak game time playing as you can get. First time it's been below 100 at this time of day. Ans it's a long weekend holiday.

It's trending so low, that Steamdb charts show more people were playing during Tuesday or Wednesday morning work hours than right now.

GiDARL6.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd also like to point out that the devs intentionally stated that they didn't want any white male characters in this game. According to the interwebz, 75% of male gamers are white. So um ... yeah. I couldn't be more joyous that a company as hateful, racist, and stupid as this one is failing so miserably.
I honestly believe this is true, but I can't find anything about them saying it.

I honestly believe this is true, but I can't find anything about them saying it.

I'm not really a vulgar type of person in real life but I'd honestly make an exception for this bunch because I'm starting to wonder what the cost is of a shoe box of carefully curated dog shit would be to their head offices.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

This is absolutely fucking stupid, and I've seen a ton of this recently. What is the end game exactly? Humans don't wear down, and accept, they start fighting back against this kind of rhetoric.

It just doesn't make any sense. Piss off the consumer base, and expect no pushback. How does one expect to make money? Selling a product or service means everyone is a potential customer. If your going to piss off a portion of that base, for whatever reason, why in the hell, would you piss off the largest portion?

It's been happening consistently as of late. Company, after company have lost billions of dollars, and yet it persists.

Last edited:
It just doesn't make any sense. Piss off the consumer base, and expect no pushback. How does one expect to make money? Selling a product or service means everyone is a potential customer. If your going to piss off a portion of that base, for whatever reason, why in the hell, would you piss off the largest portion?
It's simple: some of those weirdos are in positions of power and want to make their ideology mainstream at the expense of the "established" one.

what I don't understand is how this "movement" became so influential.

I mean, it’s a complex topic.
No, it isn't. This garbage needs to die a horrible death.

But in this world, the results need to speak for themselves, and money is the only god
These companies would rather go bankrupt from pushing their agenda than take accountability, so I'm not sure about. These people are not logical. If money was all that mattered, they would stop making garbage like this. They don't learn from their mistakes, so they keep doing this over and over and over again.

Last edited:
No, it isn't. This garbage needs to die a horrible death.
i was taking in reference of your quote.

"good men, evil, triumph"

those are very lyric or poetic words. this issue is way more complex than "good vs evil". it's a socioeconomic one.

These companies would rather go bankrupt from pushing their agenda than take accountability, so I'm not sure about. These people are not logical. If money was all that mattered, they would stop making garbage like this. They don't learn from their mistakes, so they keep doing this over and over and over again.
We know of EGS/BlackRock to shine a light on why some companies act in a certain way.

It's all about money... but "that garbage" is in reality just part of "all garbage"... so, it's a talent issue. being part of certain community or have certain ideology doesn't grant individuals with more or less talent.

i would say that failures like Concord is what make a company to really think twice about their next move.

Nydius

About the only thing that makes me sad about this flop is that the soundtrack is damn good. Daniel Pemberton really went above and beyond for it. Quite literally the only highlight of the game. Heavy synthwave vibes mixed with a good orchestral score. A real shame all this musical talent is wasted on this.

kikii

suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-character-artist-v0-5s68xno4ii7d1.jpeg

It’s probably something like this. Maybe they started with some halfway decent character designs. What we are seeing is what’s left after they scrubbed the characters of any hint of beauty, sex appeal, or any overly masculine/feminine traits in order to appease all the ugly, spiteful activist types.
howww they manage to do that ??????????? aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Relevant:

Is this guy for real? Or is that whole channel satire?

Because according to himself he's a game developer, lead designer, studio head, pro photographer, teacher and much more.
Also, the way he introduces Concord in every video and the way he dresses... this must all be a joke character, right?

He has some good points in that other video about the designs, but he also 'improves' it by making some (Very rough) adjustments to contrast and then shows of his own designs, which are just a bunch of t-posing default human models with colorful clothes in the Unity editor without lighting.

I don't know what to believe here, feel like he's pulling my leg :)

N30RYU

I would pay for a documentary of the first meetings discussing how this game was brought to life

QFYBpVm.jpeg

It's official... now this thread have more pages than players in-game

Been a 5vs5 hero shooter... there are only 4 matches being played right now... (being optimistic maybe 8 counting PS5 crossplay?)

Last edited:
So when are they going to pull the plug?

Keeping up the service and servers for an abysmally low playercount will only add to the already tremendous loss. But actually pulling the plug will probably cause a PR shitstorm.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

Because according to himself he's a game developer, lead designer, studio head, pro photographer, teacher and much more.
Also, the way he introduces Concord in every video and the way he dresses... this must all be a joke character, right?

He has some good points in that other video about the designs, but he also 'improves' it by making some (Very rough) adjustments to contrast and then shows of his own designs, which are just a bunch of t-posing default human models with colorful clothes in the Unity editor without lighting.

Dude is the asian steven seagal.

He also mentioned that he won't spend time tweaking the design of someone else's work so changing color and contrast is the best he could do. Also, he's a single-man developer who does make games for the 3DS primarily.

Dude got his 6 minutes of fame, because Asmongold covered his 'we need to talk about Concord' vid, which got him 98K views, while his former video's got like a few hundred to 1K views.

I feel he's just milking the Concord content right now, even though he said so many times "I'm not a YouTuber!".

Also I'm taking "pro character designer" with a grain of salt. At the end of his 2nd Concord video he goes to show his work in progress game. It looks rough and it's filled with extremely generic looking NPC's, yet goes on to explain all the design choices on them. Then I went to his games website that looks like a throwback to the Angelfire days, that has a trailer a 3DS game he made, which again, isn't an exact showcase of incredible character (or monster) designs:

Last edited:
Top Bottom