• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Why I can't see the in-game players since an hour ago?

EzvDMGn.jpeg

Xyphie

I think we'll see one of those apology image posts this week with a full refund / F2P announcement. With <50 players the game is probably unplayable in some territories at this point.

Zuzu

It’s amazing that Sony chose to buy this studio when it hadn’t proven that it could make a good game. Maybe they believed so much in the game’s potential that they reasoned that it would be best to buy the studio for cheaper before the game came out. If that’s the case then they have seriously dropped the ball regarding their ability to pick games which are likely to be a success. They basically picked the equivalent of a No 1 pick NBA draft bust. In hindsight they should have just signed a 3rd party exclusivity deal with Firewalk instead of going all in and purchasing them.

I think Fairgames will fail as well. I think its trailer looks even worse than Concord’s reveal did. And Haven is also a new studio and is unproven. Yes, they have experienced developers but that doesn’t mean that the studio as whole will work well together. So Sony is doing the same thing again with them.

If I was Sony I would cancel Fairgames and make Haven a support studio for the Marathon game. I would then change the focus of Marathon to be primarily a single player game but with a multiplayer component and have Haven support Bungie in developing the multiplayer. I think this would restore a lot of faith from the Sony fanbase back in Sony because they’d be refocusing their efforts on making a single player focussed game and Haven would get a chance to prove themselves if the multiplayer part of Marathon turns out good.

Last edited:
It’s amazing that Sony chose to buy this studio when it hadn’t proven that it could make a good game. Maybe they believed so much in the game’s potential that they reasoned that it would be best to buy the studio for cheaper before the game came out. If that’s the case then they have seriously dropped the ball regarding their ability to pick games which are likely to be a success. They basically picked the equivalent of a No 1 pick NBA draft bust. In hindsight they should have just signed a 3rd party exclusivity deal with Firewalk instead of going all in and purchasing them.

I think Fairgames will fail as well. I think its trailer looks even worse than Concord’s reveal did. And Haven is also a new studio and is unproven. Yes, they have experienced developers but that doesn’t mean that the studio as whole will work well together. So Sony is doing the same thing again with them.

If I was Sony I would cancel Fairgames and make Haven a support studio for the Marathon game. I would then change the focus of Marathon to be primarily a single player game but with a multiplayer component and have Haven support Bungie in developing the multiplayer. I think this would restore a lot of faith from the Sony fanbase back in Sony because they’d be refocusing their efforts on making a single player focussed game and Haven would get a chance to prove themselves if the multiplayer part of Marathon turns out good.

The credentials look decent on paper:

The newest PlayStation first-party studio is filled with veteran AAA talents who have worked on franchises like Call of Duty, Destiny, Halo, Apex Legends, Mass Effect and more:

- Veteran Devs from Bungie, Respawn Entertainment, Activision, BioWare, Raven Software And More

- Studio founded in 2018 by Bungie veterans

- 150 Employees

- Based In Bellevue, Washington

- Harold Ryan Firewalk Studios CEO, Former CEO, President And Chairman At Bungie

- Tony Hsu Firewalk Studios, Studio Head, Previously GM And SVP Of Destiny At Activision

- Ryan Ellis Game Director, Previously Creative Director At Bungie

I can imagine such a team would give Sony management a feeling of 'they know what they're doing, these guys are industry vets, let them cook'.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

I can imagine such a team would give Sony management a feeling of 'they know what they're doing, these guys are industry vets, let them cook'.
Yeah, but at some point the head of publishing at Sony should have looked at Concord and realized that the team was moving far away from what the market wanted. More than just the dev team is at fault for a flop this huge.

The credentials look decent on paper:

IMO those are anti-credentials. People expelled from other companies that had been slowly turning into shit.

Firewalk feels like a well-planned scam made by freaks whose only talent was to find someone fooler than them.

hinch7

Buying Bungie for 3.6B without doing so much research was the red flag. Even Microsoft did theirs and passed.

In all fairness, a lot of the big gaming companies were jumping on the live service bandwagon. Only to be holding the bag when finding out the customers are already satifisfied with the products they already own. They would have to create something really special and unique to stand out from the crowd. Not a copy-pasta hero shooter with awful characters and TEMU quality OW+GOTG clone.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Someone on resetera counted the number of posts from the twitter official account:
  • August 19th - 9
  • August 20th - 12
  • August 21st - 7
  • August 22nd - 4
  • August 23rd - 10 (launch day)
  • August 24th - 12
  • August 25th - 4
  • August 26th - 0
  • August 27th - 0
  • August 28th - 0
  • August 29th - 0
  • August 30th - 0
  • August 31st - 0
  • September 1st - 0
  • September 2nd - 0

Scathing

FewRope

Someone on resetera counted the number of posts from the twitter official account:
  • August 19th - 9
  • August 20th - 12
  • August 21st - 7
  • August 22nd - 4
  • August 24th - 12
  • August 25th - 4
  • August 26th - 0
  • August 27th - 0
  • August 28th - 0
  • August 29th - 0
  • August 30th - 0
  • August 31st - 0
  • September 1st - 0
  • September 2nd - 0

Scathing
The studio it's so fucking dead

ThisIsMyDog

There are indie games made by a solo dev and released with zero marketing having more players than this. I can't believe how a major game can bomb in this scale. Absolutely shameful.
3-5-million-sold-units-after-2-weeks-jesus-v0-0f9crv0s0ezc1.png

Solo indie dev sold 3.6m units. If Concord had those numbers, Sony would be calling it a success.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Ree has 93 pages on this topic. Most of the replies are in support of concord or trying to justify why it's doing so poorly.

93 pages?!? If 1 person bought concord for every page they have in the thread the user count on Steam would double.

It's just performative anger. NO ONE on ant side of gaming is playing this game.

Tams

Ree has 93 pages on this topic. Most of the replies are in support of concord or trying to justify why it's doing so poorly.

93 pages?!? If 1 person bought concord for every page they have in the thread the user count on Steam would double.

It's just performative anger. NO ONE on ant side of gaming is playing this game.

🤡 world. On one hand it's absolutely hilarious.

On the other, so many resources are being wasted by so few.

Anyway, I just love that we have massive threads dumping on this rubbish, and all we have to do is not buy or use it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Sony just sent out a survey update email to people who get their surveys.

If you specified you played PVP shooters, Concord is one of the options and if you specified you owned an Xbox they asked for your Xbox gamertag (Sony has NEVER asked for that before).

They're going to switch Concord over to F2P and put it on Xbox. Wait for it.

hinch7

If you specified you played PVP shooters, Concord is one of the options and if you specified you owned an Xbox they asked for your Xbox gamertag (Sony has NEVER asked for that before).

Even if this game released as free to play, it would still fail. It is that unappealing and generic. It honestly looks like one of those fake games you see in the movies or TV shows.

One look at the characters and I don't even know who this is designed for. Other than the developers themselves.

Last edited:

Holammer

I mean, it's obviously the Titanfall 2 situation all over again, Concord was sent out to die when going up against Wukong.
I'm joking of course, but there's a delicious irony how Wukong still remains the global top selling game on Steam despite the negative campaigning against it.

That's interesting, maybe they are about to release some games for Xbox as part of a tit-for-tat deal. We know Sony works on one Switch game with Lego Horizon Adventures, so the idea is not far fetched.

• August 19th - 9
  • August 20th - 12
  • August 21st - 7
  • August 22nd - 4
  • August 24th - 12
  • August 25th - 4
  • August 26th - 0
  • August 27th - 0
  • August 28th - 0
  • August 29th - 0
  • August 30th - 0
  • August 31st - 0
  • September 1st - 0
  • September 2nd - 0

Scathing
Probably already fired the intern resposible for the news updates. I'm so curious about the most-portem stories for this game.

This is probably the biggest AAA trainwreck of a multiplayer. I don't think it is salvageable at this point tbh.

winjer

Gold Member

I find it funny how they never put their money, where their mouth is.
It's always other people that have to waste money watching or playing bad movies, games, tv shows.

Hookshot

Gold Member
I find it funny how they never put their money, where their mouth is.
It's always other people that have to waste money watching or playing bad movies, games, tv shows.
The struggle is divided between everyone else and they get the benefits. It's called Communism.

ljubomir

Maybe Gamepass release will save it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Even if they put it on gamepass, it cannot be saved. And I don’t think Sony is that stupid, it would need some time to port it and therefore cost more money and by the time it arrives, no one wants to try it out anymore. Sony knows how pointless that would be at this time. Honestly at this point the cheapest option for them could be to pull the plug immediately and refund the people who bought it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
  • August 19th - 9
  • August 20th - 12
  • August 21st - 7
  • August 22nd - 4
  • August 24th - 12
  • August 25th - 4
  • August 26th - 0
  • August 27th - 0
  • August 28th - 0
  • August 29th - 0
  • August 30th - 0
  • August 31st - 0
  • September 1st - 0
  • September 2nd - 0

Scathing
Is there possibility the studio is shut down?

Hush hush during launch week and everyone will find out this week from employees posting on Twitter and LinkedIn they are looking for a job?

Top Bottom