• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I take offense to being labeled right wing. I’m old school liberal. I’m all for equal rights, gay marriage, transition if you want. You do you. I’m not gonna judge ya. I’m far from perfect.

But it’s when people try to play the victim card, or shove agendas down my throat (both sides), that’s when I get pissed. Concord was woke, stupid looking and overall just not wanted or needed.

I’m playing Hogwarts Legacy right now, and that has trans and gay characters. And that’s 100% ok. They also didn’t shove it in my face, put labels on everything. It’s like you see it, they said something once, and it’s done. They’re back to being characters whose sexuality doesn’t matter.

I want my games to be an escape from the stupidity of real life. Get off my fucking lawn!

SweetTooth

Gold Member
All that "don't dance on the graves of those who tried and failed" virtue signalling is BS at this stage. The folks on the far left who live in bubbles of make-believe and see anyone who even remotely disagrees with them as far right nazis are not the folks you try to find middle ground with.

These are the folks you absolutely should point at and laugh at, when their efforts come crashing back down to earth in a hail of fire and brimstone, because they somehow thought they could beat gravity with pronouns and vapid self-insert character designs.

These folks are a minority in gaming. A minority who bullied the masses with threats of being labelled racist/misogynist/all-other-possible-'ists-and-'isms, then deluded themselves into thinking they represent the majority. They're a group who decided to infiltrate every part of gaming and games development, not just to push for minority representation, but to tear down everything that once appealed to the majority demographic, so that in their insensate narcissism, after they've succeeded in destroying that which everyone else loves, they could remake gaming in their own image.

It's clear now that they've failed. And that they will continue to do so. Because the silent masses are not deceived. We will not sit idly and allow these bad actors to ruin the hobby we've supported and enjoyed for decades. We will not accept the infantile under-developed caricatures they want to masquerade as game characters for us to fall in love with. And we will not support game projects whose creators market their products by shitting on us, calling us every extreme pejorative under the sun and consistently tell us that the games they're making are not for us.

Well... they and their ilk have seen the size of the gaming market that they actually make their games for. 927 on Steam. Versus the over 100m core gamers who just want to sit down and enjoy a little escapism that isn't infused to the brim with left-wing political propaganda.

Thank you for this post. You worded my thoughts in a way I could never do

RickSanchez

I take offense to being labeled right wing. I’m old school liberal. I’m all for equal rights, gay marriage, transition if you want. You do you. I’m not gonna judge ya. I’m far from perfect.
Couldn't have put it better myself. I try to stay away from left-right politics altogether (the disenfranchisement is strong with this one), but if i had to put a label on myself, i would be a liberal more than a conservative. LGBTQ+ rights, womens rights, equal opportunities for racial/ethnic minorities, etc, i am all for this. All of it. But all of this has its place in real life. Not in fictional worlds created for entertainment and escapism. Leave my entertainment media free of this.

They also didn’t shove it in my face, put labels on everything. It’s like you see it, they said something once, and it’s done. They’re back to being characters whose sexuality doesn’t matter.
This is exactly why games like Baldur's Gate 3 or Cyberpunk did not face any backlash from so-called "right wing chuds". The inclusivity stuff is there. But it's not overt and it's not preachy.

Last edited:

Esppiral

66d07af56cf0d.jpeg
Are the Devs color blind? I mean I know why they choose those muted colour patterns but they look ugly.
I mean, disgusting character models + bad gameplay + political agenda = trash game .

Glad it failed. Let that be a lesson not to make trash games.
Also GAAS, every single one should disappear.
Earlier today....

Jimmy Fallon Omg GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Poor soul 😭🤣

Zuzu

Sony is going to have to be very careful with how they market and show off Fairgames in the future because Concord has effectively poisoned the well when it comes to Sony GAAS games. When Fairgames gets its first gameplay showing I think a lot of people will immediately think back to Concord and wonder whether Fairgames will be the next Concord. Fairgames’ reveal trailer was already bad imo, but now that it’s coming after this disaster, it’s going to be even harder for it to be successful. Haven studios better have a game that has top-tier calibre gameplay. Anything less and it may suffer a similar fate.

Last edited:

TrippleA345

One of the best things that ever happened. The way Concord flopped, but not just a little bit, but a megaton disaster, is very astonishing.
It's a big fat middle finger to the oligarchs who are pushing this ideology bullshit.
I personally don't believe in coincidences, that the game goes offline on the same day Astrobot will be released was deliberately chosen.

pasterpl

That was quick. Is this now officially the biggest flop in the history of video games? I think destruction all starts survived more, but probably cost fraction of concord. They wanted another Helldivers 2 and ended up with total flop. It happens, but this speed of action means that literally no one played this game.

Last edited:

pulicat

Neo Member
To give you a perspective of how colossal is this failure.

Development budget - $150 million
Marketing budget - $50 million
Development time - 8 years
Total sales - zero units sold
Total gross minus budgets - negative $200 million

On the other hand, Black Myth Wukong is doing wonder.

Development budget - $50 million
Marketing budget - $5-10 million
Development time - 4 years
Total sales - 10 million units in 3 days
Total gross minus budgets - $400 million

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Massive marketing push? Where? And no, controllers don’t count

The studio acquisition cost isn’t factored in to the dev cost unless they get shut down. Either way the cost couldn’t have been much - the studio had no IP or any games to their name at all

Yeah it’s a big flop, no denying it, but no reason to not continue seeking GaaS winners like HD2.

No marketing push?

It's been everywhere. Youtube. Twitch.

Ffs James. Sony, with no history for this game have even worked with amazon to do an entire episode from the new secret level series.

This game has been put up alongside games like armoured core and more. Warhammer 40k etc.

Blur studios is making it and that's like over a million dollars a minute.

No marketing? You're delusional bro. Wake up.

StueyDuck

On the other hand, Black Myth Wukong is doing wonder.

Development budget - $50 million
Marketing budget - $5-10 million
Development time - 4 years
I call shenanigans on those numbers. Black Myth is from a studio that made mostly mobile games in China for tencent.

The game also has extremely high production cinematics, mocap, voice acting (multiple languages) etc. On top of marketing which consisted of high quality CG trailers, Nvidia sponsorship etc.

Black Myth would of cost at least 100 mil as well. and china would of pumped big dollah into marketing to the west.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Black women deserve better then to be forced into so much failure

They didn’t ask for it!
The only sensible thing you have said in this entire thread!
Only need one or two big winners to make up for 10 big losers

Nope, to be massively profitable
A studio and publisher could only dream of the success that helldivers 2 saw. Even that is not enough to float 10 studios and make a profit.
Nah. Why do you think I'm defending the game? I'm not. I'm just laughing at folks that delusionally think it's the most biggest bomb of all time.
When ever single person on a forum is saying it's the biggest flop in gaming history and we have literally not seen anything like this, then there's you screaming that we are all dillusional....I really don't know what to say apart from, you seem like the perfect employee to work for the professor at firewalk studios.

Dr Cowley

Neo Member
Kill strain! ( took ages for me to remember the name )

Kill strain lasted about a year.

I dont think there was any PvP games from the XBLA era that died this quick.
There is a game I bought and played for at least 2 month but it had a really dumb name that I've forgotten but I bet it outsold Concord.

'Hyper tactical kill' team or something equally dumb

Last edited:

Kotaro

The interesting is that Sony, a Japanese company, shutdown their Japan Studio to chase around Western studios; buying Blue Point, Haven, Firewalks after shutting down Japan Studio.

And yet this week, Sony have to shutdown Concord after an embarrassment of biblical proportion, but their other game, AstroBot by Team Asobi, will likely be a massive hit (many of Team Asobis members are from Japan Studio)

You should never forget where you came from

Cyberpunkd

Couldn't have put it better myself. I try to stay away from left-right politics altogether (the disenfranchisement is strong with this one), but if i had to put a label on myself, i would be a liberal more than a conservative. LGBTQ+ rights, womens rights, equal opportunities for racial/ethnic minorities, etc, i am all for this. All of it. But all of this has its place in real life. Not in fictional worlds created for entertainment and escapism. Leave my entertainment media free of this.
I will play devils advocate and say there are people that play videogames for escapism, but also those that want games to mirror real life. Oppressed /marginalised communities cannot do nothing in real life but in the fantasy world they can stand up to their oppressors and win.

The problem is that games are a business and said group is not large enough to make games profitable, while at the same time moral pandering alienates way more “mainstream” gamers. I think companies are aware of that, but for some reason give up to pressure, especially considering maintaining status quo is easy - you just don’t virtue signal.
What is happening is videogame companies want to have the cake and eat it too - virtue signal to sell games to the alphabet crowd, and at the same time sell to everybody else. It looks like they are finding right now this is impossible, you need to pick one.

That’s why I hold Kottick in high regard - he never allowed devs to virtue signal in Activision games, he knew very well it doesn’t make sense from a business perspective.

Last edited:
Ok, so, back to the drawing board. Here's what to do next:

You can keep all the game logic and stuff. Even the level layouts and most of the guns and what not. But:

• Make it free-to-play (obviously)
  • Introduce events/battlepasses
  • Create a progression system where players can unlock interesting stuff
  • Delete some of the game modes, if not all, keep it focused and don't spread your playerbase
  • Delete all characters except for the big robot (he'll be the Concord mascot)
  • Create a roster of Playstation-branded characters:
    • Kratos
    • Nathan Drake
    • Bloodborne Hunter
    • Gran Turismo driver
    • Jak
    • Some Destiny character
    • Joel & Ellie
    • Ape Escape monkey
    • Aloy
    • Ratchet
    • Killzone badguy
    • Dude from Ghost of Tsushima
    • Higgs from Death Stranding
    • Vip Ribbon bunny
    • Spider-Man / Venom
    • ETCETERA
  • Rename the game
  • Tie it to other Playstation games, like:
    • Some battlepass unlocks also unlock things in certain Playstation games (ie: new Aloy outfit in the game, but also in Horizon Forbidden West)
    • Getting 100 headshots on a monday with Gran Turismo Driver unlocks a Ford Mustang in GT7
    • Maybe the other way around as well: getting a platinum trophy in God Of War Ragnarok unlocks a new weapon for Kratos in this new game)
  • The narrative should be something like we're traveling the PlayStation Universe. Hence the space theme.
  • The lower you get on health, you'll visually drop a generation. So when you're almost dead you are playing at PlayStation 1 graphics, including those wobbly vertices and tank controls (nah, j/k)
Anyway, make it THE multiplayer PlayStation shooter. Also on PC of course. Make it the Marvel Rivals of Sony.

You can also tie it to any PlayStation published game, like in the weeks surrounding the Death Stranding 2 launch you'll get the 'Beached Event' where players can come back from death and you have to dodge invisible ghost enemies.
Almost free advertisement for both games!

Power Pro

Seeing similar talking points as Zhuge from Schierer and others (below), must’ve been told what the coordinated message is from their superiors… they just can’t stand the anti-DEI crowd taking the W

fauKbXE.jpeg
Part of what I hate about these fucking loonies, is that I'm not right wing. Far from it, but they act like anyone who doesn't align with their narrow perspective is automatically right wing. They've warped the idea of progressive sooo fucking much, that they don't see that they've become what they claim to hate. God I hate these fucking people.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Most games i buy these days are small “indie” games..

Best gameplay.
Go play balatro
Go play loop hero
Go play dave the diver
Go play hades 2
Go play megaloot
Go play corekeeper
Go play the new factorio patch.

Stop playing tripple A gaas shit
Stop buying ubishit games
Stop paying for pointless MTX
Diablo 4 is a fucking joke

PeteBull

Gold Member
lol, so what they made cutscenes bro?

Suicide squad loses hundreds of millions of dollars and is less of a flop?

Seriously you’re clueless
They both fuckin flopped super hard bro, no point saying which one flopped more, its like u would argue which of the 1/10 cavetrolls deserves "miss" title less in beauty peagant.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Probably, they would need to make it a new IP

I honestly think it’s better if they became support studio for Bungie
They would have to throw away that terrible character sheet, and put in all best characters from all the precious sony ip's, change title too, we talking kratos, astrobot, ellie, joel, nathan drake etc
Thats few years of work so another 100m usd invested, maybe 200m even, doubt they will do it.
And even then market for 5vs5 arena shooters is super saturated so game wouldnt be major hit, but maybe it wouldnt flop but break even?

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Heard the name and never really checked it. I just watched a review and it's another Overwatch clone.

Why dev think they can just copy a very popular game and think it will magically be a success ?
From what I've seen Concord doesn't have any "killer" feature or something that can differentiate it in this oversaturated market.

Don't they do market study ? How could they think "It will be a success for sure" ? You're just copying many very popular games and add nothing to the genre.
At least change the artstyle to make it look different...

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Ok, so, back to the drawing board. Here's what to do next:

You can keep all the game logic and stuff. Even the level layouts and most of the guns and what not. But:

• Make it free-to-play (obviously)
  • Introduce events/battlepasses
  • Create a progression system where players can unlock interesting stuff
  • Delete some of the game modes, if not all, keep it focused and don't spread your playerbase
  • Delete all characters except for the big robot (he'll be the Concord mascot)
  • Create a roster of Playstation-branded characters:
    • Kratos
    • Nathan Drake
    • Bloodborne Hunter
    • Gran Turismo driver
    • Jak
    • Some Destiny character
    • Joel & Ellie
    • Ape Escape monkey
    • Aloy
    • Ratchet
    • Killzone badguy
    • Dude from Ghost of Tsushima
    • Higgs from Death Stranding
    • Vip Ribbon bunny
    • Spider-Man / Venom
    • ETCETERA
  • Rename the game
  • Tie it to other Playstation games, like:
    • Some battlepass unlocks also unlock things in certain Playstation games (ie: new Aloy outfit in the game, but also in Horizon Forbidden West)
    • Getting 100 headshots on a monday with Gran Turismo Driver unlocks a Ford Mustang in GT7
    • Maybe the other way around as well: getting a platinum trophy in God Of War Ragnarok unlocks a new weapon for Kratos in this new game)
  • The narrative should be something like we're traveling the PlayStation Universe. Hence the space theme.
  • The lower you get on health, you'll visually drop a generation. So when you're almost dead you are playing at PlayStation 1 graphics, including those wobbly vertices and tank controls (nah, j/k)
Anyway, make it THE multiplayer PlayStation shooter. Also on PC of course. Make it the Marvel Rivals of Sony.

You can also tie it to any PlayStation published game, like in the weeks surrounding the Death Stranding 2 launch you'll get the 'Beached Event' where players can come back from death and you have to dodge invisible ghost enemies.
Almost free advertisement for both games!
All good points, see you in 2-3 years of extra investment while you already spend at least 5 on this game.

Annalynne Mccord Comedy GIF by Pop TV

pasterpl

Most games i buy these days are small “indie” games..

Best gameplay.
Go play balatro
Go play loop hero
Go play dave the diver
Go play hades 2
Go play megaloot
Go play corekeeper
Go play the new factorio patch.

Stop playing tripple A gaas shit
Stop buying ubishit games
Stop paying for pointless MTX
Diablo 4 is a fucking joke
Hades 2 is defo not an indie, and is that bull crap about Diablo? Other things you got right.

Ozzie666

Every time I see ‘Official Staff Communication’ I chuckle.

They’re such spectacular cunts.

Eat a dick Commies.

They need to protect their fragile egos and the hive mind. They can't stand to be wrong. I think communists is the best word to describe the order of things. Head in the sand etc etc. I feel for anyone who thinks they need some sort of street credit being on their, developers and journalists included.

Top Bottom