• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

wipeout364

If I was in charge, I actually would do a complete art redesign of the characters, levels, and weapons. Change to free to play model with battlepass that is easy to moderate to complete with 60 to 90 day seasons. Remove politically correct art and replace with good looking characters, it doesn't have to be first descendent but it needs to be attractive, get rid of all fat characters except joke ones like roadhog. Finally I honestly think I would change the name to something completely different and relaunch as new IP.

I think with these changes it might have a chance but it would need at least another year in the oven to get to that point. So then it becomes a question of if Sony wants to keep this going. They probably would need to get rid of toxic personalities at Firewalk as well.

Killjoy-NL

That would be absolutely retarded. Maybe rebrand and trim, but why in the hell would they toss a group of very competent developers out?

The game itself is very solidly built, on a technical level. The animators and tech artists are top notch. Seems like a redesign and a critical look at the art and level design dept, as well as a pivot to f2p, would be a much better option.
I agree with everything you said, but I think it all depends on if the average employee is like the Professor.

If they are, the studio is just rotten to the core and they would be valuable as a support studio at best.

jburdick7

Neo Member
I’d have to think it’s completely dead, the talk of rereleasing is an olive branch to the few people that liked it. Sony inadvertently created a brand with Concord and the audience they need the game to be a hit with (core gamers) view it as a massive joke. Just slapping f2p on it won’t fix it, they have to change so much to fight against the perception of the game that they’d be better off just making something entirely new.

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
Sorry to ask, but apart of woke crap in this game, what else was wrong with it, or it flopped only on this?

Astrobot comes SEP 6 ..to save the day

giphy.gif

Coincidence?

From a negative score to a perfect 10.
Sony are so back!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Fire everyone who greenlit this business model. 60%. 60 fucking percent on GaaS failures like Concord, Factions, Marathon (yes its in way worse shape than anyone thinks), the other ex-treyarch/bungie studio game that was cancelled, and god knows what else. Only helldivers 2 has been a success and thats not even a GaaS game. Just a mp game by people who wanted to simply make Helldivers 1 in third person.

i-worry-people-are-misunderstanding-sonys-plan-for-future-v0-i921qt30aacb1.jpg

Fire Herman. Fire every exec who had anything to do with this. Invest all of that money back into GG, ND, INsomniac, SSM, SP, Bend and Media Molecule. Have them make games they are good at. GaaS is a crap shoot. you cant predict what game will go viral. You cant predict anything in this industry but you can predict good studios making games they are good at. And single player games selling well. because well, playstation gamers play more single player games than multiplayer games. its really that simple.

TTOOLL

First time I’ve seen something like this. Usually they just let it die a slow death but holy shit this is crazy.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It will be very interesting to see what happens to Fairgame$ next:

c1j49Rd.jpeg

2l3nwm4.jpeg

We're looking at another DOA Sony live service game.
Factions perishing before Fairgame$ is wild.

That would be absolutely retarded. Maybe rebrand and trim, but why in the hell would they toss a group of very competent developers out?

The game itself is very solidly built, on a technical level. The animators and tech artists are top notch. Seems like a redesign and a critical look at the art and level design dept, as well as a pivot to f2p, would be a much better option.
The senior leadership at the studio thought this direction was good. I agree with the poster you quoted, give these lunatics the bullet now.

Move ELT and Product Management to Naughty Dog.
Senior Team reskins the entire cast with Playstation IP characters.
Rename the project.
Monetize the f2p pivot.
Pretend this never happened.

Heads once again will roll.
Right, heads were rolling already. This doesn't help momentum.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

if you have to retool the game design as well as the game's actual look then no, the devs are not very competent. competent devs dont make games that literally die in the second week.

DosGamer

I wonder if the game will ever come back out? Is it cheaper for Sony to do this? Never seen a game come out and go away so fast!!!

The sad thing is the way Sony debuted this game... you just knew the devs were thinking they had the worlds next big hit on their hands.

mdkirby

Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out now. With an estimated total sales of 25,000 units at $40 a pop, even if they got 100% of that money, that's only $1mil in sales. So an easy refund given the scale of the games budget. Now do Sony, having pulled the game in its entirety mark it up as a complete tax write off?...kinda like Disney did with Batgirl. Which is probably the best move.

OR

Do they keep developing it? Like their burn rate at the studio has to be in excess of 1.5mil/month (more than the value of the sales they achieved). Do they spend another 50mil+ to rework it? It cost CDProject $125mil to 'fix' cyberpunk after its disastrous launch, and they are in Poland, where wages are much cheaper than Washington....AND under all the bugs and half finished stuff was a pretty excellent game. What's the chances they learn the right lessons and try to fix the right thing? They had an open 'free' beta, that hardly anyone played, so I don't see retooling it to F2P working (beside, helldivers, another GAAS also launched at $40, so I don't think the price of entry was the big deterrent). Are they really gonna redo ALL the characters, and world building? I doubt it. So what? spend a boat load more money on the unlikely chance people magically start to like it?

My vote would be, option 3, take some of the assets to make a sci fi, space opera single player adventure. It's not uncommon to take the pieces of scrapped, unreleased games to make another one.

Fake

Gold Member
Sorry to ask, but apart of woke crap in this game, what else was wrong with it, or it flopped only on this?

Pay for the game, pay for play online, terrible character design (maybe the worst of the century), fucking non existence story, GAAS that gamers are starting to get mad, DEI game vision (Sweet Baby got an awful reputation that is proving time to time affect initial sales).

Last edited:
Literally the most predictable thing so far this year in gaming. Since the day it was unveiled.

If that game was a horse, you’d shoot it.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

Sony is taking Concord offline on September 6th after a disastrous launch. PS5 and PC players will be refunded, as Firewalk Studios explores options "that will better reach our players.

gZAqrtp.gif

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I feel like I need to thank some people.

I’d like to thank my wife for still finding me attractive and having sex with me. For being ok with my gaming and sports hobbies.

My mother, for showing me that I should never back down from a challenge, especially when I’m on the right side.

I’d like to thank my coworkers for understanding that my work output had slowed down to post in so many Concord threads.

And of course our lord and god Jesus Christ.

WE DID IT!!!!!!

Top Bottom