• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord open Beta starts July 18

Varteras

I played some Hell Let Loose with my regulars last night and a couple of them tried this beta and both were decently surprised so maybe Sony should have in fact just showed gameplay and not that stupid CGI cinematic

That said both said it was for sure not a purchase type of game but would give it a go from time to time if it ever would go F2P

Yeah I know they wanted to increase the value perception by charging for a game most others make F2P. But the problem is those games have already proven very successful and of good quality. Overwatch did charge full price back in the day. But they went F2P just to keep the game from dying. Even Destiny switched to F2P for the base game. What will probably happen is they'll sell the game at $40 to try and recoup money at launch, but then make the game F2P probably in a year. The game is good, but I just don't see enough here to entice people to pay up front when damn near all the very successful multiplayer shooters are F2P. Unless they have something up their sleeve they're not talking about. Like whatever that fourth mode group is that is entirely hidden or third customization menu that is also fully hidden. The quality is there. But the balance needs work and the monetization is a big gamble.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah I know they wanted to increase the value perception by charging for a game most others make F2P. But the problem is those games have already proven very successful and of good quality. Overwatch did charge full price back in the day. But they went F2P just to keep the game from dying. Even Destiny switched to F2P for the base game. What will probably happen is they'll sell the game at $40 to try and recoup money at launch, but then make the game F2P probably in a year. The game is good, but I just don't see enough here to entice people to pay up front when damn near all the very successful multiplayer shooters are F2P. Unless they have something up their sleeve they're not talking about. Like whatever that fourth mode group is that is entirely hidden or third customization menu that is also fully hidden. The quality is there. But the balance needs work and the monetization is a big gamble.
I know the main guys I run with play different shooters but its going to be hard pulling literally anyone I game with away from our current rotation of shooters (Cod MP, Warzone, Hell Let Loose and XDefiant)

AlphaDump

Gold Member
The gameplay looks very slow and floaty. It needs to be sped up to something like quake 3, and open the maps up a bit.

Sony needs more FPS, but this one isn't for me.

skit_data

Gold Member
Tried it out just now. Hard to say whether its good or bad from such a short session. Feels like a mixture of Destiny and Overwatch, which I guess is both good and bad depending on your preference (I'm not a big fan of the movement in Destiny, it feels sluggish and too animation heavy IMO).

My general impression was that the heavy, tankier characters are a bit OP atm, because they can just soak up so much bullets compared to the squishier characters (while still being able to dish out quite a lot of damage themselves). Might be that I'm bad at the game or was unfortunate to end up in shitty teams but picking the squishier characters felt like a total waste because their damage output/abilities can't really counter the tankier ones in an effective way. But then again I only played for like half an hour or so.

Varteras

I know the main guys I run with play different shooters but its going to be hard pulling literally anyone I game with away from our current rotation of shooters (Cod MP, Warzone, Hell Let Loose and XDefiant)

Yeah you need a bigger hook than what's here. It might succeed in pulling some people away from Overwatch for those who are tired of it but want similar gameplay. Honestly, if they had a PvE mode group that had things like Horde mode that would go a long way. I was watching a streamer who said they see no trouble with a shooter charging an upfront cost instead of being F2P, but that it should have a "Free-to-Try" element. Perhaps only allowing you to play up to a certain level before you're required to toss in $40 to level up higher and unlock more modes and customization.

DonF

I've played for like 2 hours and I feel that the game play just isn't exciting. You don't get those pop off moments.
Presentation is stellar. The game looks great, menus are great. Runs 60 and never drops a frame.

Killjoy-NL

I was watching a streamer who said they see no trouble with a shooter charging an upfront cost instead of being F2P, but that it should have a "Free-to-Try" element. Perhaps only allowing you to play up to a certain level before you're required to toss in $40 to level up higher and unlock more modes and customization.
That doesn't even sound bad at all.

Maybe they should just make the base game incl the 16 starting freerunners f2p, but no progression systems and crews and all that.

Liking this more and more. Very unexpected lol. Not sure what longevity it will have, but it’s fun and slick as hell. Even warming to the characters, but then I never had the hate-boner for them that some others have had.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ok, be honest. Who playing this also told us about how they like destruction all stars and it's actually pretty good.

Admit it....cmon.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

First impression is it's Destiny meets Overwatch, but a worse version of both. Seeing as I stopped playing both of those as well, don't see myself playing more of this.

Maybe when this bombs sony can convince firewalk to make tlou factions. I've played some but the beta is pretty barebones and for $40 I don't see it competing very well with all the other fps and free to play games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've played for like 2 hours and I feel that the game play just isn't exciting. You don't get those pop off moments.
Presentation is stellar. The game looks great, menus are great. Runs 60 and never drops a frame.

The game shouldn't be viewed / experienced through the lense of a FPS.

It's really a strategy fighter from the perspective of a FPS.

You need to figure out your role and play with a team mindset. The game comes alive when you set plays up with your teammates.

The games Guardians of the Galaxy theme was a hint all along. It's that scene in every movie where Chris Pratt is telling everyone what to do.

Last edited:

Varteras

Man if your team works together you can steamroll the sweats trying to look cool solo.

Definitely hilarious watching some sweaty Warzone try-hard cry about flanking an enemy team alone and not being able to wipe them out quickly. I still think some weapons need to get buffed, but seeing reality hit them that you aren't just gonna toss a grenade, slide in, fire your gun for a few seconds, and get multiple kills in most scenarios.... priceless.

Definitely hilarious watching some sweaty Warzone try-hard cry about flanking an enemy team alone and not being able to wipe them out quickly. I still think some weapons need to get buffed, but seeing reality hit them that you aren't just gonna toss a grenade, slide in, fire your gun for a few seconds, and get multiple kills in most scenarios.... priceless.

I get loads of retards run into Daw's bubble shield just to get slammed by Star child.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
First impression is it's Destiny meets Overwatch, but a worse version of both.
I felt this way for the first few hours. It's not.

It's waaaaay more like Overwatch than it is Destiny but the advancement here is that Overwatch matches were 10 minutes long. These are 60 seconds long.

What that time difference does is make "play making", or coordination, significantly more impactful than in Overwatch.

If your strategy works in Concord, you've positively impacted 60% (or more) of the match. If your strategy works in Overwatch, you've got the payload through the first chokepoint, which might only be 5% of the match.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Man if your team works together you can steamroll the sweats trying to look cool solo.
jack-nicholson.gif

Varteras

I get loads of retards run into Daw's bubble shield just to get slammed by Star child.

I'll finally be able to play later after a last minute ordeal had me leave town. Looking forward to squashing people who try to solo. I thought it was funny listening to a streamer snivel about the game being team-oriented. He complained that the game didn't give you any kind of direction on where your team needs to be or that they need to stick together. Like bro, first of all, there are objective types that do exactly that. Second of all, if you keep trying to solo 3 or more people and you get stomped, what other incentive or direction did you need to keep your dumbass with your teammates? You have a mini-map that shows them. You can see them through walls. Move together as a team. Stick next to each other. Set each other up to make the kills. Are you so clueless that you need a big warning label telling you that?

Those people:

8wvzel.jpg

Played another couple of hours with other dps heroes. Its fine, heroes are unique enough to give variety to the gameplay. They should just unlocked the other modes for us to try. Tdm and counter strike mode gets old fast. I would like to see control and payload objectives, thats where the obviously tanky characters shine.
This is totally something I would play every night a round or 2 before diving into whatever sp game I have on rotation. But yeah, its not free to play, the paradigm has shifted and its just not gonna cut it anymore. Maybe if it was 20 bucks and bundle un a season pass.

chris121580

I thought the gameplay was fine but there’s nothing that makes it stand out above the rest. Also the character design might be the worst I’ve ever seen for a game like this. Zero creativity

It helps them to recover development costs that they aint able to bring anything new to the table.
i heard the weekly story cutscenes are a new thing. but still, is not going to be enough.

better make money selling your game that hoping/manipulate gamers with aggressive MTX's.

I think this 40USD it's a healtier business model.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Been watching a bunch of gameplay, they need to quit with this fucking never-ending TTK. I get that it's no COD but dropping a full mag to take out an enemy is particularly irritating imo.
It's a team based game. The entire game was built around team based mechanics. High TTK facilities that.

Varteras

Been watching a bunch of gameplay, they need to quit with this fucking never-ending TTK. I get that it's no COD but dropping a full mag to take out an enemy is particularly irritating imo.

My biggest gripe gameplay wise. I know they want to encourage teamplay, but some of these characters do so little damage they almost feel useless in most situations. I watched a dude dump a whole mag from Teo into a non-tank character. Some of them were headshots. Every shot landed. Dude had to reload in order to kill. That's unacceptable. There should be room for solo moments. That's a necessity in certain non-respawn objectives.

T0minator

Maybe when this bombs sony can convince firewalk to make tlou factions. I've played some but the beta is pretty barebones and for $40 I don't see it competing very well with all the other fps and free to play games.
Free to play is so misleading though.

For Concord it's $40 and after that you get everything else for free.

For the "free to play" you'll get charged endlessly for everything after you download it.

I actually prefer Concords approach. The game so far has been really fun to play. It-Z is my gurrrrl

Top Bottom