• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord open Beta starts July 18

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You said it would be F2P. Over and over.
jurassic-park-chris-pratt.gif

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Played a few games of it. I'm hopeless but had fun getting my ass handed to me. I won't buy it day 1 as I'm shit at PvP and I would not enjoy continously losing for too long. If I was actually any good I'd preorder now. It would definitely be a sale purchase. Until that time I'll keep at the beta and probably scratch the itch with Destiny 2. Firewalk need to never use that PR team that mishandled this so far.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Only had time to play a couple of games tonight, but I enjoyed it. I was playing as the massive girl with the heavy machine gun, such slow movement but powerful, when teammates who are more agile support it's quite an effective combo as I could go in and deplete their health and they could come in and sweep up. Looking forward to trying some other characters tomorrow.

Arthimura

After having a positive surprise with Helldivers 2, I'm really hoping for another good multiplayer game. I played some matches today, but to be honested I'm not convinced. I was hoping for something more like Halo and less like Overwatch. Since I play mainly solo, I don't like games that are too reliant on party composition and coordination.

Also, 8.3K viewers on Twitch, apparently most people are unaware or simply uninterested in this game.

Last edited:

DrFigs

I gave it an honest try. came in very supportive. i think this is terrible. idk what sony or the devs were thinking, but it feels like a very expensive, pile of crap. the game plays terrible. every action is unsatisfying, the characters are ugly, the environments are uninteresting.

to be fair, i only played an hour. but as a huge fan of overwatch, there just isnt much here for me.

Last edited:
Is there any way to play the PC version now like you can on PS5 or do you still need to pre-order to get it on PC? Does anyone have a spare PC key?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Fired up my PS5 and it said I'm in. But I didn't preorder. Are they just letting everyone in anyway?

Slow ttk is awesome.
I tend to always gravitate to healers and tanks.
Jabali and Star child (stupid stupid name) are my go to. Feels kinda good, the abilities some on cooldown some you need eliminations to recharge makes matches feel faster rather than wait around for an ultimate to finish the skirmish.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Hit level 10. Mainly played as Haymar. I don't think this will be my cup of tea.

+Seems to perform well.
+Matchmaking is pretty quick.
+Good variety in heroes.
+Nice UI design
=Something feels off about the pace of the game and that's not a criticism of TTK. I probably need more time to get used to it.
-Map design is a little basic/boring
-Character designs range from okay to dreadful with them more often than not falling in the latter category.

For those enjoying the gameplay, are the character designs any better in the game itself? Because most of them look terrible in the promotional material. This does not look like Overwatch or even Apex level character design.

For those enjoying the gameplay, are the character designs any better in the game itself? Because most of them look terrible in the promotional material. This does not look like Overwatch or even Apex level character design.

It’s definitely not my style but you do come to appreciate them more as you start using them and recognize them as enemies in the game and what their abilities are

Still won’t love them. They made this game to try and appeal as widely as possible but it just kinda looks bland and lacking in identity as a result

If the game flops I would hope Sony gives firewalk a second chance to do something with a bit more uniqueness with a strong character/theme vision rather than doing something by committee and focus tests.

They are definitely a highly competent studio when it comes to making MP titles

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s definitely not my style but you do come to appreciate them more as you start using them and recognize them as enemies in the game and what their abilities are

Still won’t love them. They made this game to try and appeal as widely as possible but it just kinda looks bland and lacking in identity as a result

If the game flops I would hope Sony gives firewalk a second chance to do something with a bit more uniqueness with a strong character/theme vision rather than doing something by committee and focus tests.

They are definitely a highly competent studio when it comes to making MP titles
No focus group is going to approve that cast of characters.

This is a game from the first idea on a napkin whic was aiming for the oddball characters and minority focus. Nobody on Earth is going to be gung ho about hipster Shrek.

No focus group is going to approve that cast of characters.

This is a game from the first idea on a napkin whic was aiming for the oddball characters and minority focus. Nobody on Earth is going to be gung ho about hipster Shrek.

All focus tests will. Because they are focusing on trying to appeal to "diverse" audiences and guardians of the galaxy. It's just trend chasing rather than doing your own thing.

On the surface, hipster shrek is no worse than the marvel shit. But it just doesn't have its own identity and backstory and long-term comic/movie recognition to really hit home

april6e

I feel like this game is a modern day tragedy. I was trying out the demo just now and the core gameplay actually feels really good. Like Destiny pvp with a little bit of Overwatch mixed in. But every other aspect of the game that isn't related to the gunplay is extremely mid.

The characters designs are boring and the Guardians of the Galaxy humor is somewhat cringeworthy. The story is a snoozefest. The graphics are really good but it doesn't have a meaningful art direction like every other popular shooter like Valorant or Overwatch has. The character kits, unless we unlock more abilities later, are overly simplistic and heavily ripped off from Overwatch. For example, the healer I used (Jabari) is literally Zenyatta from Overwatch except if he looked like a black Raiden from Mortal Kombat. The arenas are insanely boring layout wise and visually.

When you try to imitate the success of something else by doing the same thing, all you do is create an inferior copy of what already exists. I don't feel any urge to play this game when Overwatch or Destiny 2 pvp exists.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If Concord was a stock I'm selling as fast as humanly possible.

This thing will be F2P within 6 months. My God man, what were they thinking with this pile of dookie? It's just a silly blender of a gameplay loop. There's no front...good luck getting 4 other players to work together...

Hopefully Firewalk has another project halfway through production because Concord has buzzards circling overhead.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford may God have mercy on your soul for selling me hope!

Housh

I thought when they showed it at the State of Play it looked like generic garbage and I don't like hero shooters. Gave it a shot anyways and love it. Very surprised.

I can't wait to try it on my PC next weekend.

After watching about an hour of gameplay from various sources: it looks pretty solid, but also looks like a multiplayer component of a larger game.
Like The Crucible was in Destiny, except in this case there’s no ‘larger game’.

It could be something I would enjoy playing now and then, but I don’t feel like spending 40 bucks on it.

havoc00

After watching about an hour of gameplay from various sources: it looks pretty solid, but also looks like a multiplayer component of a larger game.
Like The Crucible was in Destiny, except in this case there’s no ‘larger game’.

It could be something I would enjoy playing now and then, but I don’t feel like spending 40 bucks on it.
Honestly so far the 40 dollar price tag is the only thing I may have a gripe with

Killjoy-NL

Honestly so far the 40 dollar price tag is the only thing I may have a gripe with
I'm actually fine with the €40 I've spent for the pre-order, if only for the fact that me pre-ordering the game really pissed off KyoZz KyoZz for some reason.

But now that I've played the beta, I think I can get my money's worth out of the game, whether it'll be a success or not.

Then again, I can see why some people feel like it should be f2p. Maybe it should be.

Last edited:
This is my main issue. Just PvP isn’t good enough at it’s price point anymore. The price point feels like a very risky out of touch solution. A big gamble taken on playstation owners to buy because it’s a Sony published game.

This game fits perfectly around early to mid PS4 gen.

Zheph

gameplay is good but yeah the characters are really mid to bad design, maybe a few skins can help... it does look quite fun, slow ttk is a decent change imo

Astray

If Concord was a stock I'm selling as fast as humanly possible.

This thing will be F2P within 6 months. My God man, what were they thinking with this pile of dookie? It's just a silly blender of a gameplay loop. There's no front...good luck getting 4 other players to work together...

Hopefully Firewalk has another project halfway through production because Concord has buzzards circling overhead.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford may God have mercy on your soul for selling me hope!
You've been sucking this game's dick for so long before any gameplay came out.

Don't think that you're escaping the mockery you will deserve if it fails.

Needs 120fps support and a FoV slider on PS5. Those are pretty standard for FPS MP games these days, really not sure why they aren't included. I'll pick it up if they add them. Took a few hours to learn the characters but really liking the gameplay loop now. A tutorial style mode would go a long way.

Yeah for real, I was real surprised by the lack of FOV controls. Especially given the insane amount of customization for just about everything else.

120fps will probably be a PS5 Pro option, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom