• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord | State of Play Reveal Trailer

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Concord only “looks like shit” superficially.

No one is saying the gameplay looks like garbage

HD2 was met with a gigantic “Meh” from everyone, and they used it as another case of live service waste of money even if they weren’t as negative about the reveal as they are concord
The gameplay looks copy and pasted from Overwatch, which got boring 84 years ago.

HD2 was met with a gigantic “Meh” from everyone, and they used it as another case of live service waste of money even if they weren’t as negative about the reveal as they are concord

Lots of people are saying the gameplay looks bland, uninspired, like shit, etc.

HD2 was an eagerly awaited sequel and there was no widespread or even vocal minority “meh”.

I hope you’re at least wearing gloves digging this deep in your ass for this nonsense.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Maybe I looked at the wrong threads here but it seems like HD2 was met with some pretty decent enthusiasm here at GAF at least

The couple of threads I skimmed through was far from a gigantic Meh from everyone.

Lots of people are saying the gameplay looks bland, uninspired, like shit, etc.

HD2 was an eagerly awaited sequel and there was no widespread or even vocal minority “meh”.

I hope you’re at least wearing gloves digging this deep in your ass for this nonsense.

Sure, visually and artistically it does. No one is talking about the core gameplay being that way, we don’t have much to go by but it looks great in that regard

HD1 was a niche game most people didn’t play and when most saw HD2 they were disinterested, myself included until the reviews and price were announced

This does not even look bad technically. You can clearly tell people put blood, sweat and tears into the graphics. The lighting is nice, it is very high resolution. Just all the rest is utter shit.
No white male characters I can see.
Can't believe I'm like this now. They've turned me into one of them except I look for the characteristics they hate.
There is one but he is wearing green face. But that's fine, don't worry about it.

Oppoi

Do you have a counter bet?

Like you bet it will be successful in some way or something fun?

Or will it just be that it doesn't go on ps plus within 3 months of launch?

In fact when does it launch?
It will stay off PS plus for 3 months to test the waters. Winner chooses the other ones avatar. Deal?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It will stay off PS plus for 3 months to test the waters. Winner chooses the other ones avatar. Deal?

So loser has to change their avatar until 2025? Should only be a month of having an avatar. Or do we go for 2 to 3 months avatar bet?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The decision to have “characters” in today’s shooters is not the best thing, I think they’re really going after the overwatch and team fortress crowd.

Madflavor

I feel very bad for devs, because the game have indeed a big production value...
but comon, what the fuck is this chara design? and how does this game differ from other hero shooters? This is the two big main problem.

Only asian girl seems "ok".

Yeah my thoughts. Imagine working on a game for 5-6 years (or however long), you finally get to reveal it, and it gets absolutely massacred online.

That said, yeah the game doesn't look great. Character designs aren't enticing and it feels like a game made in 2015.

I honestly don't see the point of this game. Aren't there already quite a few decent options if this is what you're into? Then again, I'm not into hero shooters so idk

MayauMiao

Yikes.
6kfmSXC.jpeg

if they want to go up against overwatch, this thing can't be more then $20. it'll be dead on arrival possibly even if its that cheap.

is the beta available for everyone?
Probably yeah. Early access beta for those that preorder.

It is fun seeing a sorta battle royale for which gaas hero shooter can survive 2024. If Valorant ever makes it to consoles it is definitely over for the subgenre though. The two blackholes of Valorant and Overwatch will ensure no other hero shooter will even survive the week of release.

Zuzu

The gameplay itself looks polished and well done but there doesn’t seem to be a hook that would cause people to leave Overwatch and Valorant to go and play this game. It’s not enough to just have good gameplay; the game needs to have something significantly different about it for a large proportion of that playerbase to go and play it rather than Overwatch and Valorant. Otherwise people will just try it out for a few weeks and then go back to Overwatch where all their friends, microtransactions and game time has been invested.

Last edited:
The gameplay itself looks polished and well done but there doesn’t seem to be a hook that would cause people to leave Overwatch and Valorant to go and play this game. It’s not enough to just have good gameplay; the game needs to have something significantly different about it for a large proportion of that playerbase to go and play it rather than Overwatch and Valorant. Otherwise people will just try it out for a few weeks and then go back to Overwatch where all their friends, microtransactions and game time has been invested.

The asymmetric abilities sounds neat and different

This may have more cinematic hooks on a regular basis to keep players engaged ver time.

Is it enough? Dunno, but people aren’t pleased with the state of OW so they may have a window to entice some to join long term

xHunter

This will fail on pc, deadlock will be the new go to once released. With the new marvel hero shooter out also I do not see this catching on.
Deadlock will be dead within a year, since valve doesnt seem to care about supporting their new games. See Artifact and Dota Underlords. And if they run the same content support like in CS2 it will die even sooner.

Edit: also if they dont implement a new VAC system this game will be filled with cheaters within a few weeks.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

This does not even look bad technically. You can clearly tell people put blood, sweat and tears into the graphics. The lighting is nice, it is very high resolution. Just all the rest is utter shit.
So it's like Suicide Squad. All this time, effort, and talent wasted because Sony is obsessed with trying to make their own Fortnite-like money factory.

Helldivers 2 is a $40 budget game that absolutely rocked (and continues to rock) the charts with very little prerelease promotion. It showed that you just need to put out something fresh and fun that's both on PC and PS5. Sony's NOT learning any lesson from that. They're going to double down with this massive risk.

Last edited:

iNvid02

I logged back in after years just to say this is an out of date GOTG clone that is gonna crash and burn and probably the most soulless thing I've seen from Sony in ages. It's not gonna be their live service saviour.

Maybe PS and Xbox should give each other a hand, MS now has the live service goods Sony desperately needs to make their big narrative driven strategy viable, and PS has the decent story games MS is in dire need of

cormack12

Gold Member
While I don't have a horse in this race, (but think this will be a disaster), it's worth pointing out that Helldivers 2 being co-op and not just PvP was also a major appeal point to a much larger demograph.

I think it's fair to also say Sea of Thieves and FFXIV are different beasts too. There's nothing like SoT, and FFXIV only really had WoW to truly compete against and was able to find an audience.

This is in a heavily saturated genre which already has a number of titles hoovering up all the players. It also had modes in different games to compete against as well as new titles launching that will likely have arena shooter modes too e.g. Doom

There are also precedents to look at like splitgate, hyperscape, the failure or trying to make BF2042 a hero shooter-esque and rivals launching in the same sphere like Marvel Rivals and Deadlock.

I appreciate people defending their platforms but these games servers will be offline within a year. Possibly quicker if they try to sell this as a full retail title

Like the actual Concord, this game will also crash and burn and cease to exist. This is a DOA release. The fact that the majority of that state of play was devoted to this slop is laughable and there’s absolutely no creativity or imagination behind this. This game looks like it was designed by committee or a consulting group.

A far better option would have been to release a new take on SOCOM or Twisted Metal or Planetside. Those titles would move actual units and gain some interest. PlayStation has a vast catalog of IP that can be molded into a live service game if done right, but it appears creativity is dwindling these days.

But this is DOA, 100%. There’s no soul to it or excitement about this title at all.

Last edited:
Like the actual Concord, this game will also crash and burn and cease to exist. This is a DOA release. The fact that the majority of that state of play was devoted to this slop is laughable and there’s absolutely no creativity or imagination behind this. This game looks like it was designed by committee or a consulting group.

A far better option would have been to release a new take on SOCOM or Twisted Metal or Planetside. Those titles would move actual units and gain some interest. PlayStation has a vast catalog of IP that can be molded into a live service game if done right, but it appears creativity is dwindling these days.

But this is DOA, 100%. There’s no soul to it or excitement about this title at all.
It won’t sell itself, that’s for sure. But if the game is a lot of fun to play then streamers will pick it up and their audience might buy the game and their friends, etc.
It’s not dead beforehand, if the game is really good then it will sell.

I’m just surprised they talked about the characters during the reveal and not the game itself. What is the objective? What is the actual game design? Is it just TDM ?

I’ve never played Overwatch or similar stuff, so I don’t know what people do in those games.

Killjoy-NL

Refund
Remove from Basket

/s

It said there are six modes. No idea what they are though. Probably a mode like Siege.
They were talking about persistent deployables and such, allowing for deeper gameplay as teams could anticipate the next game mode and place deployables in preparation.

That actually sounds pretty cool, tbh. That's why I like to play the beta, as the devs said they took a lot of inspiration from strategy games.
Maybe there's a lot more to it than just copying OW.

Last edited:

IDappa

Deadlock will be dead within a year, since valve doesnt seem to care about supporting their new games. See Artifact and Dota Underlords. And if they run the same content support like in CS2 it will die even sooner.

Edit: also if they dont implement a new VAC system this game will be filled with cheaters within a few weeks.
I guess time will tell, I don’t think either of those two really took off in terms of player base though did they?. I would assume that’s why they aren’t supported. Counter strike is a bit of a weird one as it’s a game centred around comp play, I would like them to add more to the game but I don’t play it for the content l.

Top Bottom